The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Default On #7 and Leadership

I'm pulling this out of the NBA playoffs thread:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...090511/billups

A great piece on Chauncey Billups. More importantly, a great piece on how one great leader can completely transform a team. It shows what I think the Broncos have been really missing since Elway retired... someone who commands the absolute respect of the entire team and forces them to 'pull up their britches' and play professional football.

Shannahans greatest failure as a coach, in my opinion, is that he lacked leadership ability. Shanny was able to win with Elway because Elway complemented perfectly what he lacked.

I'm not sure McDaniels is that guy, but if he is... I think we can be a very good team relatively quickly. It's really that important.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Hmm, I wonder if Dawkins is up to it? Not just to lead the defense, but the whole team.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Roger Stauback complimented perfectly what Tom Landry was about too. I guess he wasn't a leader either?

On the long list of Shanahans issues that I've complained about, his leadership is something I've never considered. I doubt there are 3 people in the NFL who would suggest this and 300 who would laugh out loud at this. From everything I've ever read about him, Shanahan was the consumate leader. What happened to Mike happens to a lot of these guys, and in his case it was propelled faster by the amount of responsibility he had by wearing two hats.

Shanahan just got old fast and the game passed him by.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote