The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default OT - Cool article on Chauncey BBBBillups

I know this should be in NBA thread, or NBA playoff thread, but this is a cool article for all the hometown Denverites. If you have time, take a look. I didnt know a lot of this stuff about Chauncey, but has some cool stuff about Colorado sports, and Denver stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...090511/billups
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I remember 2 years ago getting a bunch of flak for saying the Nuggets will never be any good until they get some reall basketball players. Dumping Iverson for Billups could be the trade of the year in all of professional sports.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I remember 2 years ago getting a bunch of flak for saying the Nuggets will never be any good until they get some reall basketball players. Dumping Iverson for Billups could be the trade of the year in all of professional sports.
I have not agree with you on anything in two years. I am getting a little misty eyed here.

Chauncy Billups is the only reason the Nuggets are where they are. He really is the glue that makes this team stronger, smarter, and playoff worthy. Iverson, no disrespect, was not the kind of leader this team needed.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Wow, that was one of best articles I have ever read on ESPN.com. Great stuff!
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

My favorite part...

On the night of the playoff opener, though, Anthony is nervous. In fact, all the Nuggets seem tight. On the opening offensive play, Nene goes the wrong way, and the team bricks its first three shots. Karl calls a timeout, but only one person is talking and wagging a finger: Chauncey.

"How can you f--- up the first play of the playoffs, Nene! You can't f--- up the first play! Get your heads in this!"

These two sentences, in a nutshell, pretty much describe what he has brought to the team. The old Nuggets would have folded up and played one on one basketball the rest of the night.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

This was a great article, thanks for posting it. I'm going to be buying a Billups jersey now! Great story.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

awesome read!
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

How did they not have a baseline, out of bounds play?
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

question for someone who knows nothing about basketball (trying to learn though..)

is iverson a better pure basketball player than billips? just not as good a team player/leader?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
philiptr2
Gunslinger

DRAW!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Williams

Awesome article. That is the best ESPN article I have read since the foosball article that was on page 2 a few months ago. Great post.

By the way, I'm serious about the foosball...I used to play on the pro tour (I was ranked 933rd ).
philiptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
question for someone who knows nothing about basketball (trying to learn though..)

is iverson a better pure basketball player than billips? just not as good a team player/leader?
Definitely not:

Iverson's defense has been suspect his entire career. He isn't a great passer and doesn't have great court vision. He is more athletic on the offensive side of the court than Billups, and can make some more "wow that was freakin amazing" plays. Billups is much more of a thinker, has great leadership, plays good defense, and honestly has a better shot than Iverson.

Pure athleticism? That nod would have to go to AI.

Dedication to the game, ability to make good decisions, overall completeness of a basketball player? - Billups

I was a little on the fence about this trade, really because I hadn't paid attention to Chauncey's playing style. We got the better end of the deal by a long shot.

Last edited by mr007; 05-11-2009 at 12:22 PM..
Old 05-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I wish Chauncey could play quarterback.

I decided last year in the playoffs that I was done with the NBA. Watching the Nuggets get swept (again) was horrible - not because they got swept as much as just that they were thoroughly unenjoyable to watch. I watched the Jazz (who I really don't like), and it was a totally different game.

In one year, the Nuggets have become the team that is fun to watch. They only won four more games this season, so it isn't as if it's all about winning. They are just an entirely different team.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post

Iverson is one of the best pure scorers the game has ever seen. And the fact that he did it at well under 6' is truly amazing. He has at times carried teams on his back throughout his career and has always given 100% during the games. The problem is, if the shots aren't falling he doesn't really add anything else to the team. While he is annually one of the league leaders in steals, the truth is his size alone doesn't allow him to be a very good defensive player. Add that to a contagious lack of effectiveness on D, in addition to bad habits off the court, and you have serious problems. Especially with an impressionable bunch such as the Nuggets. It is quite ironic, though, that ultimately that very same nature is exactly what made Chauncey's impact so pronounced.

You can't blame the Nuggets for trading for Iverson. If you remember, they did so just days after the New York melee that landed Melo a 15 game suspension. And, to be honest, they didn't have a choice considering that they didn't really give up all that much for a guy averaging nearly 30 points per game.

But the fact was, while they did somewhat need a scoring boost at that time, they didn't need that boost at the expense of almost every other fundamental that is needed to win in the modern NBA (i.e. team ball). They ended up with a poor man's version of Steve Nash's Suns, but instead of Nash they had several players that wanted to create their own shot.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
Definitely not:

Iverson's defense has been suspect his entire career. He isn't a great passer and doesn't have great court vision. He is more athletic on the offensive side of the court than Billups, and can make some more "wow that was freakin amazing" plays. Billups is much more of a thinker, has great leadership, plays good defense, and honestly has a better shot than Iverson.

Dedication to the game, ability to make good decisions, overall completeness of a basketball player? - Billups

I was a little on the fence about this trade, really because I hadn't paid attention to Chauncey's playing style. We got the better end of the deal by a long shot.
I was on the fence as well. I think at the time most people thought more of AI. I did not keep up on Billups so I did not know what to expect. We did not need two point guards who cannot play defense. The biggest surprise was seeing Melo's defense improve and watching him get focused.

My hope is the thin air of the playoffs does not go to the Nuggets heads. I cannot believe these guys almost choked on the third game against the Mavericks.

Last edited by Odysseus; 05-11-2009 at 01:26 PM..
Old 05-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
And the fact that he did it at well under 6' is truly amazing.
AI is exactly 6' tall and has a great vertical. I agreed with pretty much your whole post, but his defensive problems have little to do with his height and much more to do with his dedication to getting better in that aspect of his game. He has publicly stated so multiple times, it's not like he doesn't have the physical talent to overcome his lack of height, especially as a guard.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Wow, that article has me crying, but not as much as RIP Hamilton. Amazing article and I absolutely LOVE Chaunce being here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #17
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
AI is exactly 6' tall and has a great vertical. I agreed with pretty much your whole post, but his defensive problems have little to do with his height and much more to do with his dedication to getting better in that aspect of his game. He has publicly stated so multiple times, it's not like he doesn't have the physical talent to overcome his lack of height, especially as a guard.
It's a long running joke that Iverson was listed at 6' when he was clearly much shorter. I do, however, believe he gave an effort on the defensive end, but that effort was often misguided and high risk, as exhibited by his high steal numbers. To your point, he probably could have given more effort, but moreso I think he was physically limited, as there were only a handful of guards in the league he had a chance at guarding effectively.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiettiger View Post
I have not agree with you on anything in two years. I am getting a little misty eyed here.

Chauncy Billups is the only reason the Nuggets are where they are. He really is the glue that makes this team stronger, smarter, and playoff worthy. Iverson, no disrespect, was not the kind of leader this team needed.
When he basically makes guys like Wallace(Ben) and Rip Hamilton better players and Champions...you just had to know he would do it here with Anthony.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Definitely not:

I would also add Champion that list over Iverson.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Great article, caused a 'bit of a sniffle here as well. I've pulled for him since his days at CU. Been thrilled with what he has done for this team. This was a perfect read while waiting for the game 4 sweep to begin! Thanks, for posting it, People's.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Great article man. I really hope we win it all this year.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #22
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
It's a long running joke that Iverson was listed at 6' when he was clearly much shorter. I do, however, believe he gave an effort on the defensive end, but that effort was often misguided and high risk, as exhibited by his high steal numbers. To your point, he probably could have given more effort, but moreso I think he was physically limited, as there were only a handful of guards in the league he had a chance at guarding effectively.
Yeah I understand the players being listed a specific height and being much shorter, but AI really doesn't seem like he's that short of 6FT. There's been several players that have been on the NBA all-D team with comparable physical attributes. Chris Paul is probably around his height, though AI has the better leap and I'd argue more physical tools... there's no way DWade is 6'4, and Rondo has similar physical attributes at 6'1 while being skinnier than AI. Iverson has been notorious for not putting the time in practice and has also made multiple statements about his own lack of desire to become a better defender. If AI wanted to be a good defender, the only limitation he really had was a mental one. He had the physical skills despite his lack of height. There's no reason Iverson couldn't have been on an All-D team if he really wanted to.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Iverson has been notorious for not putting the time in practice
Practice? You talkin' about practice?
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #24
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
When he basically makes guys like Wallace(Ben) and Rip Hamilton better players and Champions...you just had to know he would do it here with Anthony.
I was surprised to see Billups actually help Anthony, Nene, and the team be what I thought they were supposed to be.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #25
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
This was a great article, thanks for posting it. I'm going to be buying a Billups jersey now! Great story.

Thats funny, I bought 2 jerseys of Billups after reading this. Home and away. They are cheap on Ebay. Call me a bandwagoner, but I loved him even when he was in Detroit, for the whole CU thing.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote