The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Florio backhands the Broncos

3. San Diego Chargers

Last year, the San Diego Chargers needed a miracle to capture the watered-down AFC West and make it to the playoffs.

This year, lightning might not strike again.

On paper, the Chargers have the talent. But questions persist regarding whether Norv Turner is the right man for this or any NFL head-coaching job.

So even with Philip Rivers(notes), LaDainian Tomlinson(notes), Darren Sproles(notes) and a healthy Shawne Merriman(notes) and a healthy Jyles Tucker(notes) and a rookie first-rounder who does the same thing that both of them do, it might not be enough to make it four straight division titles in a wide-open AFC West featuring teams in Kansas City and Oakland that might be more dangerous than expected. (We can forget about the Broncos.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...=tsn&type=lgns
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Dog bites man.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

Given his track record of success isn't this actually a good thing for the Broncos?

I think we're the best team in the division. We were last year despite a defense with six starters who can't cut it as roster depth anywhere else in the league, and we've only improved from there. The Chargers are overrated, their stars are breaking down, and AJ Smith's draft crystal ball has seemed to be on the fritz the last few years.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Wonder what his excuse will be when he is wrong. Mile High Mojoe writes better blogs than that hack. And thats not a compliment to MHM
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

just florio being florio when there's no poo to fling

but...

I'm not sure what part of this offseason gives broncos fans and non-broncos fans hope of a division championship.

Last edited by bronco militia; 05-11-2009 at 10:21 AM..
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

At least he didn't give us a reach-around.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
backup qb
Ring of Famer

yawn
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

but...

I'm not sure what part of this offseason gives broncos fans and non-broncos fans hope of a division championship.
Have to agree. The return of Merriman isn't exactly hope inspiring either. Regardless, it'll be a fun season to watch and see.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I love getting dissed. It HAS to fire the team up. I have always worried when the Broncos got too much love.

Maybe this will add some fuel to their fire when TC starts.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

but...

Probably that we've improved nearly every unit and look to have significantly better coaches doing jobs they're qualified for.

On field talent wise we've only regressed at QB. We've seen big upgrades in the secondary, the RB stable, and a couple solid contributors to the DL and LB corps.

On the sidelines we've seen a dramatic upgrade at both offensive and defensive play caller jobs.

Other than the talent gap between Cutler to Orton, this team has gotten better or stayed the same (at positions of young depth like OL and WR) across the board.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
orange skier
Who is Josh McDaniels ?

Protect "The Neck"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Alex Gibbs

[QUOTE=Drek;2413917]

I think we're the best team in the division. We were last year despite a defense with six starters who can't cut it as roster depth anywhere else in the league, and we've only improved from there. The Chargers are overrated, their stars are breaking down. QUOTE]

Wow Drek..............couldn't have said it better........I felt that losing the last three was ridiculous.............but we were that close.......the Chargers had Cutler's number, no question.......I felt that we were a safety and a middle linebacker away from great things last year..........I feel we've addressed those issues, improved our "O", and I think our special teams will finally be on track.........we've got a tough, tough schedule this year, no question....but I'm not sold on San Diego..........Norv Turner has never impressed me...........I'm excited about our team heading into the summer.........
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
DeuceOfClub

SuperBowl

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
... Kansas City and Oakland that might be more dangerous than expected....
Lost all credibility (not that he had any) right there.
I will be very surprised if both team will get more than 7 wins combined.
DeuceOfClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I dont quite understand why KC and Oakland might suddenly be dangerous, but there's no chance we will be. I really just dont understand that.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Good, I hope everyone does forget about us.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I think we're the best team in the division. We were last year...
I don't agree with the bolded part. I think the Chargers proved beyond any reasonable doubt that they were the best team in the division last year. Yes they "underachieved" for much of the season but they closed out the regular season with 4 straight wins, won a playoff game, and were respectable against the Steelers. The best team won the division.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
Popps
It's so easy

It's fine. I hope everyone just forgets about us.

No problem.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Seems to me the AFCW has become just about the most pathetic division in the league. Has a team ever won a division with a sub .500 record? Because it could happen this year.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Given his track record of success isn't this actually a good thing for the Broncos?

I think we're the best team in the division. We were last year despite a defense with six starters who can't cut it as roster depth anywhere else in the league, and we've only improved from there. The Chargers are overrated, their stars are breaking down, and AJ Smith's draft crystal ball has seemed to be on the fritz the last few years.
The Chargers are the best team in the division, but we are a whole lot better than what we get credit for.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
The Chargers are the best team in the division...
Agree, until the Broncos (or Chiefs or Raiders) prove otherwise.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #20
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Peter King Monday Morning QB. He rates all 32 teams.. some interesting stuff.

of note:

4. Chicago
I may not like how Jay Cutler babied his way out of Denver, but by Labor Day, the football world will have forgotten, and by Thanksgiving, the most popular baby name in Chicagoland will be Jay. (Unless it's Jerry, as in Angelo, the man who stuck his neck out and made this deal.) Cutler's a big-time player, and I suspect we'll find out over the next few years if he has nerves of steel and can win the big game.

Now, there's two things we don't know about Cutler and this offense. There's not a great receiver in the house and no promise of one on the way (Angelo should have guaranteed Torry Holt more money to get him to come to the Windy City). So Cutler's going to have to make do with the Devin Hesters and Rashied Davises, apparently. (Not that there's anything wrong with Hester. But he should be a third receiver, using his speed to game-break.)

Two: How good of a leader can Cutler be, coming in with the knock that he chafes on some teammates. It'll be interesting to see if he meshes well with Brian Urlacher; I don't take for granted that he will. Because of the Cutler factor and because I don't love the defense the way I did two or three years ago, I didn't want to leap the Bears over so many other teams. But then I went back and looked at their 2008 numbers. The bedrock stats for a good defense, I've always thought, are opponents yards per rush, turnovers forced and opponents' yards per pass. The yards per rush, 3.4, was excellent, third-best in the league. Turnovers forced, 32, was very good, second in the league. And yards per pass play by foes, 6.20, was eighth in the league. All good. If Cutler can lead an offense that puts up 400 points, only a point and a fraction more than a year ago, the Bears should win 12.

7. San Diego
Philip Rivers' great 2008 season was lost in the fog of a weird, controversial 8-8 year. I bet there haven't been 20 seasons -- ever -- as statistically impressive as the one Rivers had last year: 65 percent passing, 4,009 yards, plus-23 touchdown-to-interception differential. Now Shawne Merriman returns with his wacked-out, Seau-like desperation to succeed, and first-rounder Larry English comes from the Mid-American Conference determined to prove A.J. Smith didn't reach for him. This team's good enough to win 13, but it has to survive the toughest road schedule in the league: at Pittsburgh, at the Giants, at Dallas, at Tennessee, all in the last three months.

20. Denver
For years, Broncos fans had to sit back and just trust Mike Shanahan, because some of those weird Maurice Clarett-ish decisions he made were so counter-intuitive. So now Pat Bowlen hires boy wonder Josh McDaniels, and the Broncos fans have to think the same thing all over again. Jettisoning Jay Cutler? Drafting a running back with the first pick when the crying needs are all over the defense? Paying a long-snapper $1 million a year? I like McDaniels. I think he's smart, he doesn't have rabbit-ears, and he's a man of his convictions. He can coach the hell out of the quarterback position, but he may not have a very long honeymoon period.

27. Oakland
In every story about the Raiders' prospects this offseason, there's been some reference to the attitude/work ethic/study habits of JaMarcus Russell needing improvement. That's not good. The quarterback of your team has to know enough to be the hardest worker and the leader, and it sounds like Russell is neither. He's still young enough in his career to become that worker bee, but you've got to have your doubts as of now. I like that Tom Cable doesn't seem to be taking any crap from him, or anyone on the team, for that matter. I just don't think it's enough to get a team with questionable skill players and a mediocre defense over the top.

29. Kansas City
Could the Chiefs be this year's Dolphins, a team that gets a quarterback and magically starts being competent? Don't think so. Not unless the front seven of Kansas City is a lot better than it appears right now. The Chiefs surrendered an alarming 5.0 yards per rush last year, and that's not going to change overnight just because they're playing a 3-4 now and because they picked a couple of big bodies, Tyson Jackson and Alex Magee, with their first two choices in the draft.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

I think he's smart, he doesn't have rabbit-ears, and he's a man of his convictions. He can coach the hell out of the quarterback position, but he may not have a very long honeymoon period.

he will have no honeymoon with the fans
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #22
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

lol @ the mention of a healthy Jyles Tucker being an impact.

didnt know Florio was into comedy writing nowdays
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:

i couldn't POSSIBLY agree more with a post...

here is the Chargers record the past 3 seasons:

2006: 14-2
2007: 11-5
2008: 8-8

you see a trend?...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #24
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
i couldn't POSSIBLY agree more with a post...

here is the Chargers record the past 3 seasons:

2006: 14-2
2007: 11-5
2008: 8-8

you see a trend?...

5-11
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #25
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote: