The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default Alan Branch

Back in early April, word out of Arizona from HC Ken Whisenhunt was this is a "make or brake" season for Branch. He hasn't lived up to expectations thus far.

I'm only speculating here, but, I wonder if he would fit into the teams plans, were he to become available?

Cardinals | Branch entering make-or-break year
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:32:26 -0700

Kent Somers, of The Arizona Republic, reports Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt said DT Alan Branch is entering a "make-or-break" year with the team. Branch said, "It's a huge year, first of all, just in terms of if you want to stay in this league or what type of player you are going to be viewed as. This year, if I don't bring what I'm supposed to bring to the table, that could secure you a backup role the rest of your career."

http://www.kffl.com/player/16136/NFL

Last edited by Traveler; 05-11-2009 at 07:48 AM..
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

If he is released we should sign for sure, he would brake off 2k in our system.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

Branch is a great example of why none of us actually know much of anything about the draft. Most professional analysts thought he was a top 20 lock, and a borderline 10-15 guy. No one thought we'd even get the chance to pick him. But not only did he slide out of the top half of the first round, he slid out of the first completely.

Character? Injury? None of us knew for sure leading up to the draft, but apparently every NFL team knew something all the analysts didn't and Branch hasn't really proven the teams themselves wrong for passing on him to date.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Branch is a great example of why none of us actually know much of anything about the draft. Most professional analysts thought he was a top 20 lock, and a borderline 10-15 guy. No one thought we'd even get the chance to pick him. But not only did he slide out of the top half of the first round, he slid out of the first completely.

Character? Injury? None of us knew for sure leading up to the draft, but apparently every NFL team knew something all the analysts didn't and Branch hasn't really proven the teams themselves wrong for passing on him to date.
It was shocking to a lot of folks that he lasted until the second round. If I remember correctly, BPC was one of his biggest supporters. As you say, it just goes to show that what we see and hear may not contain all the data made available to all the teams in the league.

From what I've read, he has that "constant injury bug" issue same as Torain. Wonder if that's what has been holding him back? Maybe a change of scenery might help. He seems to posess all the physical traits required to play in Nolan's 3-4 defense.

BTW, it the slow part of the NFL year, just wanted to talk a little "what if" type of stuff.

Last edited by Traveler; 05-11-2009 at 08:02 AM..
Old 05-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Borks147
the dude abides...

DTs have such a high bust ratio.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
True. Look at the kid from Philly (Bunkley). I think he's just starting to justify his 1st round selection.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
That's why it's smart to spend as many high round picks as possible on them.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Guy looks like tarzan plays like jane. I dont know how you all took that article. But shoting for a back up role. doesnt overwhelm me with confidence that he wants to dominate. much less start. he was never known to be a hardworker. and got by on his size in college. He doesnt want it and wil get canned. i hope Denver DOES NOT go after him if released i would rather have some over achiever midget playing nose
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
MileHighMagic
Ho-Slayer

SAUCED

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dave Logan

Branch went to h.s. right down the road at Cibola High. Good friend of a buddy of mine. I would take a shot on him if the price is right. Plus I would get hooked up with tix.
MileHighMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
True. Look at the kid from Philly (Bunkley). I think he's just starting to justify his 1st round selection.
Bunkley was awesome for Philly last year. DT's just need a few years to get used to playing with NFL-level technique and to develop some old man strength.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy

i watched him play last season and he's pretty dominant on the field. but he always shows up overweight which is why they won't let him on the field. but once he gets in shape he can be a difference maker. would be cool if we could trade a late round pick for him or something.

but i have faith in chris baker as well. he can be a starter in this league and he's in the right spot right now with us. the starting job is available, he just needs to show that he can be a starter
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
Bunkley was awesome for Philly last year. DT's just need a few years to get used to playing with NFL-level technique and to develop some old man strength.
That's what I meant when I said he's just starting to prove his worth. Last year was when he began to pay dividends. As you said, it might be most DL need time to adjust to the game at the pro level.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

they are trying to light a fire under his ass
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
If he is released we should sign for sure, he would brake off 2k in our system.
At the very least, he could be our short yardage back. If Torain gets injured again I mean.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:

It was an injury...There was a lot of talk just before the draft that he had stress fractures in his shins, and shin splints.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Branch is a great example of why none of us actually know much of anything about the draft.
I read stuff like this frequently, but I rarely read anything said about fans being right about a player, which they often are.
Quote:
Most professional analysts thought he was a top 20 lock, and a borderline 10-15 guy. No one thought we'd even get the chance to pick him. But not only did he slide out of the top half of the first round, he slid out of the first completely.

Actually I recall reading several things that were said about his work ethic and him being lazy...so this is not that big of a surprise. At the time some people dismissed it as "most big guys get that rep"...an excuse that seemed like a poor one.

I wouldn't be interested in Branch. We've seen to many of those kind of players here.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

1s t rounders bust out at 50%. This happens every year.

At this point we need to take a shot at him if he is free. You never know if a guy gets with the right coach, he could turn it around.

Last edited by Orange_Beard; 05-11-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

DT go from studs to duds pretty quickly. Brace and Branch to me are a lot alike.

Big, played decent in college, but lack the wow factor when it comes to being a football player.

Broncos have big bodies to work with I doubt Branch would be much different.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote