The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

Default Sporting News on our draft

Sorry if this is a repost. Nothing earth shattering here just a pretty good synopsis of our draft and the talent of the players and how they fit in

"Give Josh McDaniels this: He stuck to his promise of drafting high-motor, versatile players who fill holes while not confining the talent search to defense. But the lingering question is whether the team addressed its most pressing need, rebuilding the defense's front seven.
The Broncos had four top-48 picks, but McDaniels was adamant about not reaching for need, and the staff felt the front-seven draft talent suited for a 3-4 front was exceedingly thin.
But even more controversial, McDaniels gave up Denver's No. 1 pick next season in order to trade up for CB Alphonso Smith at No. 37. That move figures to be scrutinized heavily in the future. McDaniels also curiously dealt two third-rounders for a blocking tight end with 12 career catches. And he traded up two more times to pick up a wide receiver, a position of strength, and a sixth-round quarterback coming off a down year.
If the heat wasn't on sufficiently after the Jay Cutler saga, it is now."

click the link for the rest of the article w/ analysis of the players

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/broncos/2009_nfl_draft

Last edited by i4jelway7; 05-11-2009 at 12:24 PM..
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
War Room scouts and Broncos' correspondent Lee Rasizer offer their analysis from the NFL draft:
Hey, Lee's back in the game!

I gotta agree with that summary. On the one hand they didn't reach for need. On the other hand they sold the farm for players in a weak draft. That's really, really going to suck next year. McDaniels needs to realize that not all his players are going to work out. He basically has to have most of his picks hit or he'll be on the hot seat immediately.

I guess if you're going to do this, you do it guns a' blazing.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4jelway7 View Post
And he traded up two more times to pick up a wide receiver, a position of strength, and a sixth-round quarterback coming off a down year.
Almost nothing's been said about this move because it was overshadowed by the move up for both Quinn and Smith. I have to wonder if this was a statement to Chad Jackson since he was already cut by NE coaches. The top 3 spots seem secure but if the spread offense is going to be a significant factor in McD's plans he'll need more than that. Here's what I've found on McKinley:

Smallish reciever with good but not great speed, more quick than fast and started a lot of games over 4 years; productive/averaging 5-6 catches a game and finished #3 all time in SEC receptions, appears to have worked mostly underneath rather than the deep zones, good hands, a pollished good route runner...Spurrier called him the best he's coached...needs to get significantly stronger and more explosive, might have trouble getting jammed at the LOS...

He sounds like a slot receiver and the kind of guy who has to have a defined role but he could be successful in this system as a 3rd or 4th receiver.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Memento
SY2K

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Godwin Turk

Quote:
The fastest guard at the combine...
Didn't know that about Seth Olsen, so that's cool. All the other scouting stuff on him indicated that he was lumbering an un-athletic, kind of like a poor man's Herman Munster.
Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Hey, Lee's back in the game!

I gotta agree with that summary. On the one hand they didn't reach for need. On the other hand they sold the farm for players in a weak draft. That's really, really going to suck next year. McDaniels needs to realize that not all his players are going to work out. He basically has to have most of his picks hit or he'll be on the hot seat immediately.

I guess if you're going to do this, you do it guns a' blazing.
I suspect we will end up with more than one #1 in next years draft by trading Champ. Just a hunch....
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerdenver View Post
I suspect we will end up with more than one #1 in next years draft by trading Champ. Just a hunch....
Nobody is giving up that much for Champ right now.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKC View Post
Nobody is giving up that much for Champ right now.
You don't think he will fetch not even a single #1?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He basically has to have most of his picks hit or he'll be on the hot seat immediately.

too late
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerdenver View Post
You don't think he will fetch not even a single #1?
Absolutely not. Thats not a slam on Champ. I think he is a great player...there is no way someone offers anything close to a single #1 at his age with his injury stuff. Besides that the guy has lost a step. I don't want this to be construed as hating on Champ because the guy is amazing...he is just getting older.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Absolutely not. Thats not a slam on Champ. I think he is a great player...there is no way someone offers anything close to a single #1 at his age with his injury stuff. Besides that the guy has lost a step. I don't want this to be construed as hating on Champ because the guy is amazing...he is just getting older.
Before his injury, he was playing as well as ever. But yes, he's not gonna fetch a number one, not at his age.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
I would have thought that he would bring a #1 atelast but you do bring up some good points. This is all speculation at this point though.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #12
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
McDaniels also curiously dealt two third-rounders for a blocking tight end with 12 career catches.
I wish I could be paid to write stuff that is easily found to be wrong. Journalism for Dummies?

We did NOT trade 2 3s for Quinn, we traded 2 3s for a 2 and a 4. It's basic information that with any fact-checking would have been caught.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

The Broncos gave up a #1 for Alphonso Smith. Why wouldn't any other team give up a #1 for Champ? All it takes is one team.

Unless Champ gets hurt again or has a really down year this year, I don't think a #1 is out of the realm of possibility....unless of course the team is picking in the top 5. Then a second with a later pick thrown in would be more likely.

Few people I knew thought the Broncos had any shot at getting 2 #1s + more for Cutler, but they did it. And supposedly they had a few teams offering it.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
"The fastest guard at the combine..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento View Post
Didn't know that about Seth Olsen, so that's cool. All the other scouting stuff on him indicated that he was lumbering an un-athletic, kind of like a poor man's Herman Munster.
The writer is mistaken. NFL.com shows Olsen didn't run the 40 at the combine but clocked 5.26 (apparently at his pro day), good for a tie for 9th out of 23 among guards. He's probably thinking of Blake Schleuter who clocked 4.79, easily the best time among the centers.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Last weeks Sporting News (magazine) gave us an "A" Grade for our draft.

They gave Knowshon and Ayers an "A" and Alphonso Smith and "A+"
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
ZachKC

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
The Broncos gave up a #1 for Alphonso Smith. Why wouldn't any other team give up a #1 for Champ? All it takes is one team.

Unless Champ gets hurt again or has a really down year this year, I don't think a #1 is out of the realm of possibility....unless of course the team is picking in the top 5. Then a second with a later pick thrown in would be more likely.

Few people I knew thought the Broncos had any shot at getting 2 #1s + more for Cutler, but they did it. And supposedly they had a few teams offering it.
To sleep is a chance to dream.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Who is going to buy Chams's 11 million $ salary? Dallas?
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Last weeks Sporting News (magazine) gave us an "A" Grade for our draft.

They gave Knowshon and Ayers an "A" and Alphonso Smith and "A+"
You get REP just for your avatar!
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

We had 2 firsts and 5 in the first 52.

Mcdummy still managed to **** up the '10 draft. is that mentioned?

In a deeper draft for DT and QB.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
We had 2 firsts and 5 in the first 52.

Mcdummy still managed to **** up the '10 draft. is that mentioned?

In a deeper draft for DT and QB.
But don't you know, McD isn't worrried about drafting a QB next year....McD is a miracle worker when it comes to QB's--Orton will throw for 4500 yards and 25 TD's this year.........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Quote:
"The fastest guard at the combine..."

The writer is mistaken. NFL.com shows Olsen didn't run the 40 at the combine but clocked 5.26 (apparently at his pro day), good for a tie for 9th out of 23 among guards. He's probably thinking of Blake Schleuter who clocked 4.79, easily the best time among the centers.
Thats ****ing blazing for a OT. We could use him as a pulling guard as a replacement for the aging Hamilton.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
Thats ****ing blazing for a OT. We could use him as a pulling guard as a replacement for the aging Hamilton.
Olsen or Schleuter? Olsen's limited in space and not suited to OT in the NFL. Schleuter needs to get a little bigger but I think a battle might loom between him and Lichtensteiger next year for the center spot.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

What interests me so much is the wide range of opinions on Alphonso Smith. Some sites say it was a horrible reach for a small, slow CB and McD should be kicked in the nads, what was he thinking? But other sites list Smith as the top corner in the draft and a starter in the league for 10 years. We shall see....
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

**** McDipshyt
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #25
kmartin575
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

Because teams over-value draft picks. That's like saying "The Broncos gave up a #1 for Alphonso Smith, why wouldn't a team give up a #1 for future hall of famer Tony Gonzalez who is coming off of one of his best seasons?" Granted cornerback is a more valuable position than tight end but I still think it's a good comparison.

Hell, teams have been reluctant to trade #1's for guys like Anquan Boldin and Braylon Edwards who are both in their 20's. Sorry, simply don't see a team trading a #1 for a soon to be 31 year old cornerback who has been injured alot lately.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote