The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default The chefs have their own Jarvis Moss

Hali hoping for a fresh start

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The thought first occurred to Tamba Hali last year as he suffered through the worst season of his NFL career.

Maybe he’d be better off if he were allowed to drop some weight and move away from defensive end, where he was having trouble staying in one piece and fulfilling what the Chiefs saw in Hali when they made him their first-round draft pick in 2006.

So it’s in that light that Hali is looking at the Chiefs’ hiring of coach Todd Haley and their planned transition to a 3-4 defense as a good thing. The Chiefs are looking at Hali as an outside linebacker, though he could play some at end when they move to the 4-3.

“They’re trying me at different spots, but I’ve got to think (linebacker) is probably where they’ll want me,” Hali said. “Haley’s telling me both defensive end and linebacker, so I’m moving between both of them now.

“I can rush the passer and play the run while I’m playing linebacker. That’s basically what I did at Penn State, so I’m excited about that.”

It might be the last chance for Hali to resurrect his career, at least in Kansas City. The Chiefs once pinned huge expectations to Hali, the first player they drafted after naming Herm Edwards as their coach three years ago.

The new administration of Haley and general manager Scott Pioli has no such allegiance to Hali. They drafted defensive linemen Tyson Jackson and Alex Magee with their two top draft picks and added veteran linebackers Mike Vrabel and Zach Thomas.

More: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...y/1183165.html
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer
 
Dudeskey's Avatar
 
This space for rent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,310
Default

Well, of course his numbers dropped. He doesn't have Jared Allen to gift wrap sacks for him anymore...™
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
boltaneer
17
 
boltaneer's Avatar
 
ATTA BABY!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America's Finest City
Posts: 4,359
Default

He's a poor fit for a 3-4 OLB. I don't think Dorsey is a great fit in a 3-4 either.

They're just throwing away their rebuilding project they've done in the past two years. I don't get what they're doing but of course, I love it!

And getting rid of Jared Allen was just beyond stupid.
boltaneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Shabby, not too

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,495
Default

Well Hali at least started, Moss could never do that.

I dont know what they are going to do with Dorsey either, he wasnt drafted to play in a 3-4, it doesnt fit his strengths.

Well his supposed strengths, he didnt show much last year
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 10,891

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
He's a poor fit for a 3-4 OLB. I don't think Dorsey is a great fit in a 3-4 either.

They're just throwing away their rebuilding project they've done in the past two years. I don't get what they're doing but of course, I love it!

And getting rid of Jared Allen was just beyond stupid.
A Chargers fan who is right about something.

The biggest mistake they made was keeping King Carl and Edwards in charge during 2008. They knew that year was a rebuilding year, but instead of committing to Edwards and Carl to finish the rebuilding they switched horses halfway through effective throwing away everything they did during 2008 including trading Allen and drafting Dorsey.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
400HZ
Ring of Famer
 
400HZ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,459

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli
Default

Dorsey is a total loss switching to a 30 front. And if Hali couldn't get sacks in a 3-point stance then he won't be able to in a 2-point either. He's still not in Jarvis Moss territory though.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Offing Allen was kinda similar to offing Cutler ...

The difference is, we still have the best/near-best O-line and skill players in the league, while KC's defense is left in tatters, with guys all outta sync and out of position in their new system.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

He had one down year in '08 and this translates to needing to resurrect his career? I wasn't sold on this guy coming out of college but after reading what he overcame to escape the civil war in Liberia, I was rooting for this guy even though he's a Chief.

To me it makes no sense to toss out the talent you've accumulated in a prior rebuilding effort just to satisfy the need to move to a new system. When a new regime comes in and does that it smacks of ego to me, which is what this looks like. Hali isn't Moss, who arrived in the NFL 30 pounds underweight and dragging a two year illness in his past that shortchanged his development. Moss was known to be at leat two years away when he drafted just so he could gain weight and strength. This guy started his first two years and notched 15 1/2 sacks before tailing off last year with 3. Who knows if he can play OLB in the 3-4 or not...but he's in the same boat as Elvis in that regard.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 05-09-2009 at 11:58 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
bronco610
OLD FART
 
bronco610's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 1,839

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
He had one down year in '08 and this translates to needing to resurrect his career? I wasn't sold on this guy coming out of college but after reading what he overcame to escape the civil war in Liberia, I was rooting for this guy even though he's a Chief.

To me it makes no sense to toss out the talent you've accumulated in a prior rebuilding effort just to satisfy the need to move to a new system. When a new regime comes in and does that it smacks of ego to me, which is what this looks like. Hali isn't Moss, who arrived in the NFL 30 pounds underweight and dragging a two year illness in his past that shortchanged his development. Moss was known to be at leat two years away when he drafted just so he could gain weight and strength. This guy started his first two years and notched 15 1/2 sacks before tailing off last year with 3. Who knows if he can play OLB in the 3-4 or not...but he's in the same boat as Elvis in that regard.
Footsteps, you really have to stop taking the high road
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

It's really the same thing as Jarvis Moss .... Hali has played more than Jarvis, but they're both undersized 1st-round DEs trying to make the transition to 3-4 OLB.

I wonder which (if either) will succeed?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco610 View Post
Footsteps, you really have to stop taking the high road
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
It's really the same thing as Jarvis Moss .... Hali has played more than Jarvis, but they're both undersized 1st-round DEs trying to make the transition to 3-4 OLB.

I wonder which (if either) will succeed?
Except that one is 275 and the other's about 250 soaking wet. Hali could be traded to a 4-3 team if he doesn't work in the 3-4 but apparently nobody wants Jarvis even for a 7th. I think his inability to gain weight is going to make this his last shot.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco610 View Post
Footsteps, you really have to stop taking the high road
Yeah steps, what's with this peace love hippie routine?

Are you smoking pot?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,452

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

We'll be fine without Allen. Tampa Hali will be more than adequate

/Chiefs fan 2008
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Yeah steps, what's with this peace love hippie routine?

Are you smoking pot?
Not in the last couple of decades at least.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
WyoLaw
Pheasant Tail
 
WyoLaw's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 481
Default

I'd gladly take Hali over Moss.
WyoLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City
 
ZachKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,850

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default

Their own Jarvis Moss?

Amazing. The absolute best case scenario for Jarvis Moss is to be Tamba Hali. Thats not an ringing endorsement of Hali in the least.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #18
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,109

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Hali sucks.

Moss wishes anyone would pay attention to him enough to say he sucks.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
KCStud
Ring of Famer
 
KCStud's Avatar
 
AmeriStanzi!

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,711

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Offing Allen was kinda similar to offing Cutler ...

The difference is, we still have the best/near-best O-line and skill players in the league, while KC's defense is left in tatters, with guys all outta sync and out of position in their new system.
Denver does not have one of the best set of skill players in the league.
I like how this board makes fun of Bowe for having butterfingers. Look who was the 3rd WR with the most drops?

Passes Dropped
Rank Name Team Games Drops
1 Braylon Edwards CLE 16 16
2 Dwayne Bowe KC 16 13
3 Brandon Marshall DEN 15 12
T-4 Laveranues Coles NYJ 16 8
T-4 Marcedes Lewis JAC 16 8
T-4 Marshawn Lynch BUF 15 8
T-7 Dallas Clark IND 15 7
T-7 Anthony Gonzalez IND 16 7
T-7 Hines Ward PIT 16 7
T-10 Jabar Gaffney NE 16 6
T-10 Justin Gage TEN 12 6
T-10 Ted Ginn Jr. MIA 16 6
T-10 Santonio Holmes PIT 15 6
T-10 Chad Johnson CIN 13 6
T-10 Zach Miller OAK 16 6
T-10 Randy Moss NE 16 6
T-10 Robert Royal BUF 15 6

KC should be using the 4-3 under and 3-4 like Arizona did last season. Dorsey will be utilized in the 4-3 under to fit his strengths which made him so good in college. As for Hali, we'll see how he does in the 3-4 at OLB. He has about the same chance as Dumervil does.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #20
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Denver does not have one of the best set of skill players in the league.
I like how this board makes fun of Bowe for having butterfingers. Look who was the 3rd WR with the most drops?

Passes Dropped
Rank Name Team Games Drops
1 Braylon Edwards CLE 16 16
2 Dwayne Bowe KC 16 13
3 Brandon Marshall DEN 15 12
T-4 Laveranues Coles NYJ 16 8
T-4 Marcedes Lewis JAC 16 8
T-4 Marshawn Lynch BUF 15 8
T-7 Dallas Clark IND 15 7
T-7 Anthony Gonzalez IND 16 7
T-7 Hines Ward PIT 16 7
T-10 Jabar Gaffney NE 16 6
T-10 Justin Gage TEN 12 6
T-10 Ted Ginn Jr. MIA 16 6
T-10 Santonio Holmes PIT 15 6
T-10 Chad Johnson CIN 13 6
T-10 Zach Miller OAK 16 6
T-10 Randy Moss NE 16 6
T-10 Robert Royal BUF 15 6

KC should be using the 4-3 under and 3-4 like Arizona did last season. Dorsey will be utilized in the 4-3 under to fit his strengths which made him so good in college. As for Hali, we'll see how he does in the 3-4 at OLB. He has about the same chance as Dumervil does.

Marshall sustained an injury to his arm, with some minor nerve damage. What's Bowe's excuse?


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #21
KCStud
Ring of Famer
 
KCStud's Avatar
 
AmeriStanzi!

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,711

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Marshall sustained an injury to his arm, with some minor nerve damage. What's Bowe's excuse?


KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post

Touche' sir.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #23
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,804

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

A big difference though is that Hali has started throughout his NFL career since he was a Rookie. Both Moss and Crowder have not had that opportunity and are vastly far behind Hali in gameday experience.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #24
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,777

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Marshall sustained an injury to his arm, with some minor nerve damage. What's Bowe's excuse?
He also had about a billion passes thrown his way. I'd like to see the ratio of catches to drops. Something tells me it would be a landslide in Brandon's favor.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #25
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Denver does not have one of the best set of skill players in the league.
Best or "near best" is what I said. TO left the Cowboys, and if Boldin leaves Arizona, I think we'll have the second best WR duo (Pats).

Of course Knowshon and Hillis aren't there yet. But I'm pretty confident they'll be a Top 5 RB duo by mid-season


Quote:
I like how this board makes fun of Bowe for having butterfingers. Look who was the 3rd WR with the most drops?

Passes Dropped
Rank Name Team Games Drops
1 Braylon Edwards CLE 16 16
2 Dwayne Bowe KC 16 13 160 chances, 84 catches
3 Brandon Marshall DEN 15 12 200 chances, 104 catches
T-4 Laveranues Coles NYJ 16 8
T-4 Marcedes Lewis JAC 16 8
T-4 Marshawn Lynch BUF 15 8
T-7 Dallas Clark IND 15 7
T-7 Anthony Gonzalez IND 16 7
In the first place, you provided no link there, you don't even say what year it was

In the second place, you're an idiot. Marshall caught about 20 more balls than Bowe, meaning he had about 40 more balls thrown his way. But even with this much larger number of chances, B-Marsh STILL HAD FEWER drops than Bowe.

You gotta learn to read stats more fully ... Bowe had about 160 passes thrown his way, B-Marsh about 200. You have to adjust for this discrepancy - it's a 20% difference.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Denver Broncos