The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default "As far as I know he is retired"-Bus Cook

More proof that Bus Cook is just a F'n Liar and spin doctor.

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
Brett Favre's agent James "Bus" Cook says that the quarterback is not reconsidering his second retirement in as many offseasons.
Cook told USA TODAY Wednesday that, after speaking with Favre late Tuesday, "As far as I know, he is retired."

When asked about ESPN reports on Tuesday that the iconic quarterback plans to sit down this week with Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress to discuss a comeback following February retirement from the New York Jets, Cook said emphatically, "To my knowledge, that is not true."

But it is difficult to know for sure with the indecisive Favre, who began changing his mind about his March 2008 retirement from the Green Bay Packers around this time last spring.

"As far as I know he is retired and he's not told me he's changed his mind," Cook said Wednesday morning. "I'm on the golf course (Tuesday) and my phone was blowing up with all these messages.

"I said what in the world is all this stuff about Brett coming back?

"I talked to Brett yesterday. I said, 'What's all this about?' He said, 'I don't know. I don't know where that's coming from.'"

"I would think the first order of business would be that Brett would tell me, 'Bus, I want to play again.' That hasn't happened."

When pressed if Favre may have a change of heart, Cook said, "Will something happen down the road? I don't know that."

Cook refuted ESPN's claim that Favre charged him with hiring a quarterback coach for Favre.

Cook concedes Favre may have spoken to Childress or Minnesota offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, former Packers quarterbacks coach from 2003-2005. But no one from the Vikings has contacted Cook in regards to exploring contract parameters.

"I heard (ESPN NFL analyst) Chris Mortensen was saying I'm looking for a quarterback coach," Cook says. "Why would Brett Favre need a quarterback coach? If he was going to come back and play football he would hire a trainer.

"I can promise you, there is no personal trainer working out Brett Favre and I am not trying to hire him a quarterback coach.

"If No. 1, he wanted to come back, he would have to be healthy.

"If it was Minnesota, they would have to call and say, 'What would it take to get him on board?' That hasn't happened."

Cook added that Favre has "not had surgery" to repair the partially torn biceps muscle in his throwing arm that undermined his ability to throw deep since "midseason" of last year. After an 8-3 start, the Jets flamed out as Favre played poorly down the stretch, throwing nine interceptions with two touchdowns during a disappointing 1-4 finish short of the playoffs. The former Green Bay great finished with 22 touchdowns and a league-high 22 interceptions.

Favre declined arthroscopic surgery after his retirement from the Jets, saying in a Feb. 11 conference call that the arm injury was the sign telling him it was time to walk away.

Though Cook says Favre was upset with how his bitter divorce from the Packers ended after 16 seasons last season when he changed his mind and informed general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy he wanted to return, Cooks says if Favre did return to football, it would not be to stick it to the Packers who are NFC North rivals of the Vikings.

"If he wants to play again, it's not going to be to get revenge," Cook says. "If he comes back to play, it's going to be because he loves football.

"Are there certain things about the Packers, how things ended there and he felt they didn't treat him right? That's true. Does he have a certain vendetta against them? That's not true. If he came back, it would be because he wants another chance to win a Super Bowl."

This time last year, Favre started to get the itch to play again and began scratching it by throwing to players at Oak Grove High School near his Hattiesburg, Miss. home.

"I'll say this, Brett looks to be in good shape, but he is not working out," Cook said. "That's always a dead giveaway when he's throwing at the high school here in Hattiesburg.

"He hasn't been doing that. All he's been doing is cutting that grass on his property. He likes to keep it looking good."

The Vikings finished 10-6 last season. But with league rushing leader Adrian Peterson and a stifling defense they are considered a quarterback away from legitimate Super Bowl contention.

Childress and Bevell run virtually the same West Coast offensive scheme Favre ran with the Packers and the Vikings could provide the three-time league MVP with a chance for winning a second Super Bowl.

Cook says he and Favre discussed that possibility last offseason when the Packers blocked that scenario by inserting a clause that would have caused the Jets to forfeit three first-round picks if they traded Favre to the Vikings or any other NFC North team.

At the owners meetings in March, Childress said free-agent acquisition Sage Rosenfels and third-year pro Tarvaris Jackson will compete for the starting job.

Favre received his release from the Jets three days after they traded up 12 spots to select former Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez fifth overall.

"Nothing has changed," Favre said in a joint, April 28 statement released by Cook upon his release from the Jets. "At this time, I am retired and have no intention of returning to football."

Said Cook Wednesday: "Would the Vikings like to have Brett? Probably.

"All I can say is right now the man is retired. If he's talked to somebody that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to go and play football.

"But then, he can change his mind. I know him. And if he can't give it 100%, he won't do it. The man will be 40 soon (Oct. 10). ..."

What kind of day has it been so far for Cook?

"I got all the local (media) folks calling and the NFL Network showed up at the front door of my office," he said. "I don't know if Brett and Childress and (NFL Network analyst and former Packers quarterbacks coach) Steve Mariucci or (Philadelphia Eagles head coach and Favre's and Childress' former boss) Andy Reid have talked. I don't know who he talked to.

"To my knowledge, he hasn't gotten the itch to play again."

That can change.

"Maybe next week, Brett says, 'Hey, I've been thinking about this.' He might do that. I can't tell what will happen."
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Why do we care? If people want to pay him to throw a football let them. If he wants to fake retire all the time let him.

Just for the record I heard Ian Gold tried the same thing.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

No one cares anymore. I think ESPN is going to get some very visible grief if they blow this up as big as they have done in the past.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

"The Fastest Way to Ruin Your Legacy" - by Brett Favre.

I wonder if it can be preordered on Amazon?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cook needs more money, so Favre needs to play some more. Oh and he cares so much about his clients. Heh.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No one cares anymore. I think ESPN is going to get some very visible grief if they blow this up as big as they have done in the past.
People DO care. Maybe they are sick of hearing it, but it is compelling. If Favre does return and plays for the Vikings it will be the biggest off-season piece of football news.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous View Post
People DO care. Maybe they are sick of hearing it, but it is compelling. If Favre does return and plays for the Vikings it will be the biggest off-season piece of football news.
You do know that Denver fired it's tenured HC and traded it's starting QB to DA BEARS?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

When do Jackson and Rosenfels scream to get out of Minnesota?
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Christ the guy is an a-hole

That said he is doing his job.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
You do know that Denver fired it's tenured HC and traded it's starting QB to DA BEARS?
WHAT?!
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote