The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default OT: I dislocated my shoulder

OKAY, I normally LOVE to paint vivid pictures with my prose, but unfortunately, it hurts to keep my arm in the "typing" position, so here's the short version.

Last wednesday, I was playing softball. On first, ball was hit, I took off, second base caught it so I immediately turned around and dove for first. Diving in softball is not the norm for me, but it was the championship game. Anywho, my arm was extended and locked, and I jammed it into the base, immediately dislocating the shoulder. Off to the e.r. (the nurse at our field said not to set it in case there was damage to other parts of the shoulder).

Of course, five hundred ****ing people we're that at 9 oclock on a wed night, and they all thought they had swine flu. are ya kidding me. SO, THREE AND A HALF HOURS LATER...it took two grown men to wrench my shoulder back into place.

Absolutely one of the most painful few hours of my life.

Yesterday, went to Dr. Papilion, a sports medicine orthopedist, and he gave me THIS ultra fancy and kind of retarded looking sling.
. The ultrasling 3. *the good news is that i really feel like a running back in training, the cushion is just like a foot ball haha.

I have to keep it on for two weeks, then come back for a follow up.

MY QUESTION:
How long before this thing heals enough for me to get back into normal mode?
Mountain biking, softball, full work etc etc.

Weeks? Months?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Never
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
OKAY, I normally LOVE to paint vivid pictures with my prose, but unfortunately, it hurts to keep my arm in the "typing" position, so here's the short version.

Last wednesday, I was playing softball. On first, ball was hit, I took off, second base caught it so I immediately turned around and dove for first. Diving in softball is not the norm for me, but it was the championship game. Anywho, my arm was extended and locked, and I jammed it into the base, immediately dislocating the shoulder. Off to the e.r. (the nurse at our field said not to set it in case there was damage to other parts of the shoulder).

Of course, five hundred ****ing people we're that at 9 oclock on a wed night, and they all thought they had swine flu. are ya kidding me. SO, THREE AND A HALF HOURS LATER...it took two grown men to wrench my shoulder back into place.

Absolutely one of the most painful few hours of my life.

Yesterday, went to Dr. Papilion, a sports medicine orthopedist, and he gave me THIS ultra fancy and kind of retarded looking sling.
. The ultrasling 3. *the good news is that i really feel like a running back in training, the cushion is just like a foot ball haha.

I have to keep it on for two weeks, then come back for a follow up.

MY QUESTION:
How long before this thing heals enough for me to get back into normal mode?
Mountain biking, softball, full work etc etc.

Weeks? Months?
Had that happen once, and it hurts like hell. If I remember correctly, it was semi-normal within 2-3 weeks, meaning I could do most of what I ususally did, but it was a long time before it really felt like full strengh. Probably more than a year.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Did it just always have that weak, ready to pop out kind of feeling?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

One thing a buddy of mine did was carve a (beer) can holder into the cushion part.

Edit: I feel like I should contribute more, but that's all I got...all the best for your recovery.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i have separated and dislocated my shoulder. and in my experience the separation hurt a **** load more, so be happy it was just dislocated(even though that hurts like a b**** too)

depending on how fast of a healer you are i'd say you will be able to use the arm in a few weeks, but more than likely not 100% until at least 6 months, but more than likely over a year
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

If there was a keg on second...you wouldn't have dove back for first regardless of where the ball was.

sloshball > softball
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

beer holder, DAMN fine idea. No keg at second unfortunately they have gay ass non drinkng rules now.

And I actually have seperated my shoulder before (misjudged the depth of a pool when I dove in lol...wow.), but honestly this hurt me more. The muscles in my shoulder, and consequently all the way down my arm, felt like they were ripping out of the bone. boooooo.

broncoman was it a year for you? F U C K! has it happened again since the first time? My doc said your chances go way up
Old 05-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I've dislocated my shoulder. I was playing soccer when I was 13 and was playing goalie, I forgot where I was in the net. I went to change direction and ran shoulder first into the goalpost. Hit the ground. People laughing, I stayed on the ground with my arm kind of bent at a funny angle. It sucked major ass. Even now, 14 years later my shoulder hurts from time to time. Stupid ass soccer.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:53 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
beer holder, DAMN fine idea. No keg at second unfortunately they have gay ass non drinkng rules now.

And I actually have seperated my shoulder before (misjudged the depth of a pool when I dove in lol...wow.), but honestly this hurt me more. The muscles in my shoulder, and consequently all the way down my arm, felt like they were ripping out of the bone. boooooo.

broncoman was it a year for you? F U C K! has it happened again since the first time? My doc said your chances go way up
dude, i separated mine playing street hockey when i was 14. my cousin checked me, and i dropped and then tripped over my stick, and we both hit the ground, but the way i landed and then him falling on top of me just destroyed my arm. it hurt in my upper chest, shoulder and back, and it just felt like my arm had almost been torn off. that was without question the worst pain i have ever felt in my life, and i have had a lot of injuries.

but in the case of the dislocated shoulder, i pushed it too hard when i first injured it, because it was high school baseball season and i had to play and aggravated the injury and no doubt added to the length of the recovery time. but even my doctors told me when they 1st popped it back in, that it may take a full year before i return to full strength.

now depending on certain movements or positions i move my arm, it has a tendency to pop in and out of the socket. also i have dislocated it 2 more times.

it is at full strength in all the movements i use the arm for(playing some football with friends, throwing a ball around for my dogs, working out and all that stuff), but the shoulder joint itself is weaker than it was before i injured it, as it has been dislocated 2 more times and pops in and out of the socket involuntarily. each time i have re-injured it, the recovery time seems to be quicker.

so i may not be the best person with a similar injury to base your recovery time on, because i didn't take time off. i dislocated it, in a practice during baseball season, went to the doctor and got it popped back in, took 2 days off, took some pain meds and started throwing again. it took me a full 2 months before i finally stopped pushing it and let it heal.

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 05-06-2009 at 04:04 AM..
Old 05-06-2009, 03:55 AM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I've dislocated my shoulder. I was playing soccer when I was 13 and was playing goalie, I forgot where I was in the net. I went to change direction and ran shoulder first into the goalpost. Hit the ground. People laughing, I stayed on the ground with my arm kind of bent at a funny angle. It sucked major ass. Even now, 14 years later my shoulder hurts from time to time. Stupid ass soccer.

if i were you i would call it an old football injury instead of a soccer injury
Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Mine took about a month to get feeling "right" again, and its never regained full strength, but thats because I dislocated it, shoved it back in myself (with the help of an I beam), played another three or four hours of basketball on it, and then found out a few months later that I have a partial tear in my rotator cuff as a result.

Good thing its my left arm. Guy I work with did similar to his right, as he puts it to this day he's got one good throw in him overhand before it snaps out again.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #13
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Dude, dont be a p***Y. Take that piece of crap off, and get back on the *cough* softball field. Rub some dirt on it, and you'll be fine.

Good luck in your recovery. I think Mock has a point, joints never really return 100 percent. But, alas, its all part of life.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

My best advice is listen to your doctor on the initial recovery period and give it a chance to mend.

I first dislocated mine in a skiing injury, and was skiing the next day (but I did have it wrapped against my body under my coat).

I didn't listen much to his recovery schedule about making little circles with my arm over the next eight weeks, and jumped right back into sports.

The next couple years I dislocated it a few times (playing intramural soccer in college - damn that soccer again!). Then, I took up Judo. I probably dislocated it a dozen times in my first two years of judo, sometimes in the middle of an actual tournament. However, I can tell you the absolute best way to put it back in - bar none.

Finally, I started taking care of it, and now put plenty of effort in the gym strengthening my shoulder and all the stabilizer muscles. It really doesn't bother me at all, and I am a really active person.

So, my advice. Listen to your doctor and take it easy for the first 2-3 months, then spend some time in the gym strengthening the muscles of the shoulder so it doesn't keep popping out. It will suck for a while but it will be worth it, and you avoid surgery.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 AM   #15
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i have separated and dislocated my shoulder. and in my experience the separation hurt a **** load more, so be happy it was just dislocated(even though that hurts like a b**** too)

depending on how fast of a healer you are i'd say you will be able to use the arm in a few weeks, but more than likely not 100% until at least 6 months, but more than likely over a year
I am going to echo what BM4E said. Separation hurts like crazy and it takes a while to heal.

I spearated my shoulder playing football my Sr. year of HS. In the process, I tore my labrum (shouylder cartilage). I had to have it scoped and went through about 2 months of PT. By the time my PT ended, I was slighly stronger than I was before the injury occurred. My bench press was better, my shoulder strength was better, but there was always the feeling that, if my arm was up above my head (i.e. grabbing a rebound playing b-ball, throwing a football, etc), my arm would roll out of socket.

6-12 months will be your realistic timeline to fully heal. But to be honest with you, I am 33 now and in pretty good shape (I lift weights 3x's a week) and there are times when I am wresting with my kids on the floor and I will get the feeling like it's gonna pop out again. It's just soemthing you have to adjust to.

My strongest recommendation would be to take the recovery process seriously and don't rush it back. Take your time and gradually build up your strength. You'll be glad you did in the long run. Good luck!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #16
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

I dislocated and seperated my Shoulder racing Motorcycles (along with numerous other injuries during my racing Years), and I understand the pain part. I did it a long time ago, and have never had any problems with it other than there is a noticeable space if you feel it. I lift weights 3-4 times a week, and I think that helps. It feels like I've never damaged it, and it's my right Shoulder (the one I use the most)-

I agree with everyone here, do what the Doc says, you will be sorry if you don't-back when I did it, they strapped me up for six weeks (that was the worst part), and when I finally took it off it took about a Month to regain strength and a few Months to feel normal again-after it heals, I believe weight training really helps-hard to sleep all night right now isn't it?

The Doc told me that if I didn't stay strapped in that he would have to do Surgery to keep it all together-do what the Doc says!
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
meangene
Ring of Famer

Did that to mine doing dumbbell presses. Watched it drop right out the bottom. Worst part was I dropped the dumbbell and it hit me several times on the way down. The shoulder felt weak and like it was going to pop out again for months. What will help it is to strengthen all the shoulder muscles around the joint. That means strength training that hits the shoulders at every angle. Start light, maybe even using machines, at first before slowly increasing the weight and using free weights. Took me almost a year before I stopped thinking about the shoulder. Don't even remember which shoulder it was now.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #18
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I'll trade you my torn rotator cuff for your shoulder dislocation any day.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

Is that what turned you into a gay person?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

well thanks for all the advice people. it's just so damn hard NOT doing anything with it for weeks...ya know? I'll just do my best to be a responsible dislocatee, and sit tight.

It just sucks thinking there's a possibility this could stick with me forever.

anybody ever have the surgery done? With the plastic screws and all?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Looks like it's time to brush up on everyone's favorite game......the stranger.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Is that what turned you into a gay person?

HAHAHAHA. Yes. Playing soccer turned me into a gay person.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
if i were you i would call it an old football injury instead of a soccer injury

Actually I never got hurt when I played football. Always soccer. Tore up my right ankle playing soccer, too.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #24
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Back when I was moonlighting as an ER doc, I sedated my shoulder dislocations. Propofol for the win.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #25
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Back when I was moonlighting as an ER doc, I sedated my shoulder dislocations. Propofol for the win.
I think thats what they gave me...they were putting something in my i.v. during the wait, like fenerol or something, started with an f (or ph). really didn't do much for the pain. Then, when it came time to put the shoulder back in they gave me something ELSE (which could have been propofol), and it knocked me out in like 5 seconds. When I came to, my friend who was in there with me was pale as a ghost, and the doctors we're laughing at how difficult it was to get in. But whatever they put in there was absolutely STRONG STRONG STRONG! I counted back from 100 and made it to like 98 haha