The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default DP Article - Rookies and a few notes on the 3-4

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12286290

Not much meat. A few quotes about a "reality check" for the rookies, Grimes and Kelley are hurt, linemen catching punts.

Then there's this:

"Many times, the Broncos' 3-4 looks more like a 5-2 with the defensive ends standing up at the line of scrimmage. Peterson and Ryan McBean have been getting most of the first-team reps on the defensive line. Wesley Woodyard, who has been replacing the injured D.J. Williams, is the only linebacker who stayed on the field in the nickel package. . . . After one fumbled snap, center Kory Lichtensteiger and quarterback Chris Simms had to immediately jog a lap and then run a few sprints after practice. "You can't have something like that happen," Simms said. "

Peterson and Ryan McBean? Yikes. And no comment on the NT, either. Woodyard in the nickel (even as an injury replacement) is positive news. And how many times did we see Cutler/Nalen fumbled snaps? At least that looks like it will be taken care of.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

We will see how it all ends up. I think Woodyard will be on the field in Nickel all year. Davis is just a 2 down thumper.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I love Woodyard, I think it is very positive that he is getting some good looks now. He may not be prototypical in terms of size, but he has amazing instincts and he can flat out play.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

I love that they had to run laps and sprints. Those Mickey D haters even have to loev he's treating these pros like kids. Keeping everyone in their place. I think when you look back at it this whole cutler thing was strategic. He has struck the fear in everyone, so they do exactly what he says, kinda liek shanny when he first started.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I love Woodyard, I think it is very positive that he is getting some good looks now. He may not be prototypical in terms of size, but he has amazing instincts and he can flat out play.
He's not a 3-4 linebacker. We had trouble at Safety last year.

Woodyard should play strong safety. Boss should, too. I was doing reasearch the other day, and heading into the draft - the years they respectively entered the NFL - they were both projected as Strong Safeties.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post

Woodyard should play strong safety. Boss should, too. I was doing reasearch the other day, and heading into the draft - the years they respectively entered the NFL - they were both projected as Strong Safeties.
The NFL is too much of a passing league these days to start putting linebackers at Safety and expecting to not get destroyed through the air.

We've added 4 new safeties this offseason anyway, so I doubt Woodyard goes there.

If there really is open competition at all spots I could see him giving DJ a real run for his money at WILB in the 3-4.

In the 4-3 looks I can see Woodyard playing WILL while DJ plays SAM. They'll probably be the nickle linebackers too.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post

The strong/in the box safety is becoming a rarity in today's nfl since it's become a passing league. Your safeties need to cover (probably why we drafted bruton and McBath). I don't care how small Woodyard is, underestimate him at your own peril. Some guys are just born football players and he's one of them. He was probably the only good thing about our defense last year.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12286290

Not much meat. A few quotes about a "reality check" for the rookies, Grimes and Kelley are hurt, linemen catching punts.

Then there's this:

"Many times, the Broncos' 3-4 looks more like a 5-2 with the defensive ends standing up at the line of scrimmage. Peterson and Ryan McBean have been getting most of the first-team reps on the defensive line. Wesley Woodyard, who has been replacing the injured D.J. Williams, is the only linebacker who stayed on the field in the nickel package. . . . After one fumbled snap, center Kory Lichtensteiger and quarterback Chris Simms had to immediately jog a lap and then run a few sprints after practice. "You can't have something like that happen," Simms said. "

Peterson and Ryan McBean? Yikes. And no comment on the NT, either. Woodyard in the nickel (even as an injury replacement) is positive news. And how many times did we see Cutler/Nalen fumbled snaps? At least that looks like it will be taken care of.
McBean was a good player at Oklahoma State. Enough so that the Steelers drafted him in the fourth round.

Here's a good article about McBean after he got drafted by the Steelers:
Steelers Draft Prospect Interview: DT/DE Ryan McBean
Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
By Paul Eide
Steelers Fever Columnist

Oklahoma State's Ryan McBean is an impressive physical specimen, with great size and low body fat whose motor never stops. Having played only two years of division one football after transferring from a junior college, many NFL teams feel that he has yet to maximize his potential.

Built similarly to the Eagles Jevon Kearse, McBean's athleticism and size (6-5, 290 lbs) are attracting plenty of attention from NFL teams, including the Jets, Bengals, Broncos, Colts, Jaguars and Cowboys.

In two years as a starter for Oklahoma State, McBean accumulated 62 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, 1 pass defended, 3 forced fumbles, 1 QB pressure and 1 blocked kick. Statistics rarely do a defensive lineman any justice and what can't be assessed via the numbers is his ability to close running lanes and disrupt opposing offenses.

"He can be physical and get around that gap in the line" said Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy about McBean. "His quick initial burst helps him hit the gap and force plays to the outside, disrupting the rhythm of the QB or the ball carrier. Those types of things are what make him a special player one who should be successful in the NFL for some time."

Steelers Fever - Is it true that you have had a couple meetings with the Steelers?

Ryan McBean - "Yes, I visited with them at the Combine and afterwards. We have spoken a few times."

SF - What were those discussions about? Have they hinted toward drafting you?

RM - "It was just a regular interview and I talked to the head coach, sat down with the D-line coach and went over a couple of plays on film. It was pretty much a typical interview where they ask you what you feel comfortable with as far as scheme and get your reaction to some film. They didn't tell me they were going to draft me or anything like that, but they let me know they were interested."

SF - With the Steelers incorporating some components of a 4-3 defense under new coach Mike Tomlin, and with your experience playing in both the 4-3 and 3-4 in college did they hint about how they might use you?

RM - "They liked how I could play inside or outside, but more towards a defensive end position. I guess I'd be playing D end, playing a four technique or a five. Id be head up on the guard or Id be in the four slot also. I've always been a big fan of Casey Hampton and respect the way he plays. I see myself as a disruptor like that who can take out two blockers or have the athleticism and strength to move around."

SF - Have the Steelers emerged as the team that has shown the most interest so far?

RM - "To tell the truth there is no tellin'. You can never be for sure who is actually interested and who isn't. My expectations, I really don't expect anything form the NFL teams. I'm just working out in preparation for the season. The draft day situations change every day so I don't put too much stock in them."

SF - Have you seen more interest from teams that run a 4-3 defense or a 3-4?

RM - "I've talked to both 4-3 and 3-4. I don't really prefer either because I've been playing both for a while now, so it really comes down to where a particular team feels they can utilize me the best."

SF - Do you prefer one over the other?

RM - "No it doesn't even matter. Ive been playing D line for so long that I can play both comfortably."

SF - How important was your performance in the Senior Bowl as far as elevating your draft status?

RM - "It worked out great because I showed how versatile I am. I played both end positions during the game and also played a little defensive tackle as well. But even more important than that is the tape from the season. The tape doesn't lie. No matter what, they always have that to look at and if you look at that in my case I think it helps me more than anything."

SF - When you were watching tape with the Steelers, what ground did you cover?

RM - "They just showed me their basic schemes. They showed me different plays that they run out of the 3-4 scheme and where they thought I could fit in and help out."

SF - Have the teams that want to you to play inside expressed concern about your weight?

RM - "Some teams want me to be 300 pounds, some teams are cool with where I'm at. I can put on 20 pounds easily because I have a good frame and have it be a �good' 20 pounds, rather than 20 pounds of fat. Either way I can do whatever they want: the bottom line is that I feel I can be successful no matter what."

SF - Any final thoughts for Steelers fans?

RM - "Basically I appreciate the opportunity to even be invited to the Combine and just to go through this whole process. I'm a winner and love to play the game. I play with passion that the fans can appreciate because I don't take anything for granted. I'll be happy no matter who I get drafted by, but we'll find out on the 28th."
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

McBean and Peterson have both played DE in a 3-4. I am sure that is why they are getting 1st team reps, because they know what they are doing. That could change as others learn and get up to speed.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
And how many times did we see Cutler/Nalen fumbled snaps? At least that looks like it will be taken care of.
Very common with new QB/C combos. Will fix itself with practice and repetition.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Peterson and Ryan McBean? Yikes.
It's May 4th...this has as much relevance as the linemen catching punts.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote