The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Memento
SY2K

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Godwin Turk
Default McDaniels' Meticulosity...ish...ness...

A lot of it seems like Football 101, but as long as you're building an offense from from scratch (or from the NE mold) and breaking in QBs new to the system....

I kind of like what I'm seeing/hearing. Wonder if he thought Jay-C was too casual for this, or if he thought Jay-C was so enamored with his own right arm that these kinds of details weren't important. Interesting look into what traits he's looking for in his on-field point-person.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/huddle...els-wants.html

Broncos' QB control isn't a snap judgment
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
May 3, 2009 - 5:47 PM
FRANK SCHWAB
THE GAZETTE
As much as any physical attribute, Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is looking for a quarterback who owns the huddle.

Whenever updating the progress of Kyle Orton and Chris Simms, he manages to work in a mention of how they commanded the huddle in practice. McDaniels said he is very specific about what he wants from his quarterbacks in the huddle and before the snap.

He wants them to have a presence, handle the other players correctly and have the offense working at a fast tempo. He wants the offense running - not walking - to the line of scrimmage. Players need to be lined up correctly and the defense needs to be identified. All of that falls on the quarterback.

"There's a lot of things the quarterback in this system is going to do before the ball is snapped," he said. "If we can get a guy that can perform before the ball is snapped and make sure there are no pre-snap errors, we're halfway there."

McDaniels is also very picky about how the pre-snap cadence - the calls at the line of scrimmage - is spoken. McDaniels said that in team meeting rooms he will call out the signals how he wants them said, and the quarterbacks have to repeat them back.

"It's kind of elementary, but until all three are saying it exactly the same way, one lineman is jumping because he's used to this guy's cadence - we can't have that," McDaniels said. "They have to sound identical. They have to sound the same. That's what we're after."

Simms and Orton aren't fazed by their coach's focus on the pre-snap routine. The notion that the quarterback should have control of the huddle is nothing new to them.

"It comes with the position, ever since high school," Orton said. "The play starts in the huddle, so that's something that can't be overlooked."

Simms said McDaniels wants the quarterbacks to first say the play clearly in the huddle. Then they offer quick tips for players, telling a receiver where his landmark is when he goes in motion or going over a blocking assignment with the running back.

"He's definitely particular about what he wants, no doubt about it, and rightfully so," Simms said. "To run a tight offense and do the right things, it starts in the huddle and it starts in the huddle with the quarterback saying the right play."

Simms and Orton practice getting the cadence how McDaniels wants it. They do it while throwing on their own and before minicamp practices during individual drills.

How a quarterback says the pre-snap signals isn't something that will be gushed about on television highlight shows, but it's important to McDaniels.

"I know that sounds like a little thing," he said. "But with what we're doing in our system ... to be able to go out there and get in the huddle and get out of the huddle and run the play and execute it the right way, that's a positive."
Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
ol number 7
The Champ

Flair for Life

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Craig Morton
Default Jay

Obviously talked to slow for this system.
ol number 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Memento
SY2K

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Godwin Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol number 7 View Post
Old 05-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Alright, No more Club Med!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i have a theory of my own, that McDaniels felt it would be difficult to get a young cocky already successful QB to buy into his system. i think he felt it would be hard to get Jay to listen to his teachings and critism, because Jay had already been successful in the league, without anyone really demanding excellence from him or riding him to be better, and to a point did have the attitude that he was the **** that more than likely would have had the 2 butting heads by midseason even if there was no trade drama.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 AM   #6
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Jay had already been successful in the league, without anyone really demanding excellence from him or riding him to be better
This is the dumbest thing I've read on this website.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:22 AM   #7
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
You're the dumbest thing I'VE ever read on this website...

But I think its the small things and the demand for perfection that can take a team over the top. McD has that enthusiasm to get this team excited to play, and to buy into what he is trying to do! I know I'm excited and I don't even play!
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
you've posted 21,726 too many posts on this message board
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:56 AM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i have a theory of my own, that McDaniels felt it would be difficult to get a young cocky already successful QB to buy into his system. i think he felt it would be hard to get Jay to listen to his teachings and critism, because Jay had already been successful in the league, without anyone really demanding excellence from him or riding him to be better, and to a point did have the attitude that he was the **** that more than likely would have had the 2 butting heads by midseason even if there was no trade drama.
Because Shanahan lacked any intensity at all and didn't know what good QB was.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #10
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Inside source or just talking

How about Cutler did not want to be in Denver, or has that not been posted enough for you on every online service and every sports radio or TV show?
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol number 7 View Post
I think it was the slurring he had a problem with.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
The Deal is Done and 2 1st round picks on the table for 2 weeks immediately come to mind.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

McDaniels is a GENIUS!

First he comes up with this whole 'team approach' to the game of football that everyone is gushing about here.
He then created his 1,2,3 TEAM! chant.
NOW he builds on that inspired creativity by wanting the QB to control the huddle!

BRILLIANT! Josh seriously should be given the Nobel Prize for Football.
Attached Images

worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Inside source or just talking
He specifically said "I have a theory of my own".
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I hope the coaches are meticulously teaching our guys how to properly tackle.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Say what you want about Coach, perhaps you disagree with his decisions and methods, but the man is incredibly detail oriented and intense. In this way, he reminds me a lot of shanahan the perfectionist (its a compliment). Regardless of what happens, I think our team will be very prepared week in week out and hopefully will have a leg up mentally on our competition.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #17
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

All I know is that we have the worst QB situation in football...thanks to coach.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
All I know is that we have the worst QB situation in football...thanks to coach.
I think youre going to be pleasently surprised by the play of Kyle Orton. I know you'll disagree, and thats fine, but this is my prediction (i watched him a lot this past season as my buddy is a bears fan and would often watch the early game with him before broncos games).
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Say what you want about Coach, perhaps you disagree with his decisions and methods, but the man is incredibly detail oriented and intense. In this way, he reminds me a lot of shanahan the perfectionist (its a compliment). Regardless of what happens, I think our team will be very prepared week in week out and hopefully will have a leg up mentally on our competition.
Absolutely agree
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #20
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
really?? so you would rather have the Dolphins slew of quarterbacks? Or how about the Jets with a rookie and 2 nobodies? or how about Vikings? these three immediately come to mind
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #21
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
I think that is a stretch, time to get over it
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
ahahahaha, are you kidding me?

san fransisco. minnesota. buffalo bills.

three teams off the top of my head that would gladly trade places with us as far as QB situation.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Thanks to the coach? If Jay returned a phone call he'd still be on the team. But that would just give you one less thing to p*ss and moan about.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #24
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Quote:
Possibly he felt that Cutler was simply too dumb to run his offense. Add the diabetes and the drinking, and suddenly you start looking around for other options.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
Memento
SY2K

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Godwin Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Possibly he felt that Cutler was simply too dumb to run his offense. Add the diabetes and the drinking, and suddenly you start looking around for other options.
Dave Logan had an interesting take on Cutler. He said that in *all* of his (Logan's) years in football — as a player, as a coach (hs), and as an announcer — that Cutler was hands down the most stubborn player he'd ever met.

That's sayin' something. I mean, you're talking NFL-level egos here.

I think you're right about the drinking/diabetes thing, Tell, but I don't think Cutler is dumb...

just... so... entrenched... in... doing... things... his... way...**

...that he might have been "immovable" in JM's system; therefore he had to be moved, if that makes any sense.

**trying to set a record for most ellipses in a header/post

Last edited by Memento; 05-04-2009 at 10:19 AM..