The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default Now that the draft is over, time to put together the scouting department

Since McDaniels decided that switching up the QB position was job A-1 when coming to the Broncos, he obviously left less important things like having a scouting department in place prior to the biggest draft of his career.

Goodmans were let go because they were not on board with shopping Jay, even for Cassel- they knew it would blow up in their faces, which is precisely what happened. A week after the draft, the scouting department is reorganized, after more than a few questionable moves were made on draft day regarding return on value for picks.

According to the Paige article, Bowlen has allowed a marketing guy (Joe Ellis) make major football-related decisions. This is simply not good business.

Whether or not you think McDaniels is the right person to lead the Broncos into the future, this offseason has been one cluster**** after another.

Last edited by colonelbeef; 05-03-2009 at 06:18 AM..
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

a) The Goodmans were fired 3 weeks before Free Agency started and Cutlergate unfolded. I seriously doubt the Goodman firing had anything to do with Cutlergate.

b) Several teams who changed HCs or GMs after the season reorganized their scouting department the week after the draft. The Broncos had one in place, but it hardly makes sense to fire them before the draft while they are in the middle of doing their work, so they waited until after the draft to make changes there.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
a) The Goodmans were fired 3 weeks before Free Agency started and Cutlergate unfolded. I seriously doubt the Goodman firing had anything to do with Cutlergate.

b) Several teams who changed HCs or GMs after the season reorganized their scouting department the week after the draft. The Broncos had one in place, but it hardly makes sense to fire them before the draft while they are in the middle of doing their work, so they waited until after the draft to make changes there.
he doesnt want to hear the truth, just wants to make more reasons to hate mcdaniels regardless if its logical.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens1893 View Post
This. Teams that switch coaches don't fire the scouting department right off the bat because of all the scouting they've already done leading up to the draft. The scouts are let go after the draft.

If people want to hate on McDaniels, there are plent of reasons. But if anyone actually think he went into the draft without a scouting department, you are ****ing idiot.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

It is not unrealistic to think we have a good shot at fielding the DROY and the OROY so I'd say McD did alright in the draft. IMO we just had the best free agency, draft and UDFA season in a long time I love what has been done so far.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
Goodmans were let go because they were not on board with shopping Jay...
Link? Source?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
This. Teams that switch coaches don't fire the scouting department right off the bat because of all the scouting they've already done leading up to the draft. The scouts are let go after the draft.

If people want to hate on McDaniels, there are plent of reasons. But if anyone actually think he went into the draft without a scouting department, you are ****ing idiot.
He did go into the draft without a director of college scouting and one area scout short at least. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us, but the scouting department was short handed all the way through FA and the combine and pro days.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Link? Source?
simple logic.

Why else would they have been kept on after Shanahan was let go only to abruptly leave weeks before the draft? That came out of left field, and points to a power struggle between McDaniels and the Goodmans. Now, what was the single biggest and most controversial personnel maneuver this past offseason in the NFL? Jay Cutler. Who drafted Jay Cutler?

So on and so forth. In a few years it will all seem much more clear, but it's obviously what happened.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
He did go into the draft without a director of college scouting and one area scout short at least. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us, but the scouting department was short handed all the way through FA and the combine and pro days.
Exactly- and even beyond this, the fact that a guy who prior to all of this was in charge of the foam #1 hands and where Barrelman got to sit so he would get into MNF camera angles is in any way making personnel decisions is scary to say the least.

Maybe the slap chop guy is available, he would probably be onboard with losing Cutler too
Old 05-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Do we know which area wasn't represented? I will be pissed if it was SE.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

The NFL actually restricts when you can fire scouts to keep scouting teams together until after the draft and to keep other teams from poaching.

As for the Goodman mess, I also think that in general, they were not on board with a variety of things McDaniels was doing, possibly including Jay. I expect that this is the biggest reason they were let go.

The fact is that someone needs to be a adult to check on McDaniels, until McDaniels has proven himself.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #12
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight
As for the Goodman mess, I also think that in general, they were not on board with a variety of things McDaniels was doing, possibly including Jay. I expect that this is the biggest reason they were let go.
Both the Goodmans and Bowlen confirmed on the radio here in Denver that they left essentially because Xanders was hired over Jeff Goodman after Jim Goodman turned down the job.

And Colonelbeef needs to build a bridge and get over it.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Quote:
Goodman is gone, along with his son, assistant GM Jeff Goodman. And the Broncos' Southeast region scout has left too. His name? That would be Tyler Goodman, another of Goodman's sons.
Prepare to be pissed
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Since McDaniels decided that switching up the QB position was job A-1 when coming to the Broncos, he obviously left less important things like having a scouting department in place prior to the biggest draft of his career.

Goodmans were let go because they were not on board with shopping Jay, even for Cassel- they knew it would blow up in their faces, which is precisely what happened. A week after the draft, the scouting department is reorganized, after more than a few questionable moves were made on draft day regarding return on value for picks.

According to the Paige article, Bowlen has allowed a marketing guy (Joe Ellis) make major football-related decisions. This is simply not good business.

Whether or not you think McDaniels is the right person to lead the Broncos into the future, this offseason has been one cluster**** after another.
Disagree... time will tell if the decisions made were the right ones. Being unable to control the events that transpired I have faith and patience to allow those events to play themselves out (I have no other choice).

I think the way McDaniels has approached the situations is a credit to him and the confidence he has in himself, players and the coaches/FO. All Shanahan had to do was accept that Pat Bowlen was the man signing his checks and found another D coordinator. Who knows he may even have come up with Nolan. Much of the offseason events have begun at the desk of Shanahan and the decision he himself made with respect to his own self interests.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
correct me if I'm wrong, but like all of our pics came from the acc/sec. Seems like they had a handle on it
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Lets go Broncos!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:

In McD world thats how you do things. Don't aruge. Its that pats way or no way. Oh wait a second. McD doesn't have any super bowl rings as a OC.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I'm not one to dwell on the past but how was retaining Slowik in Shanahan's self interest? I genuinely don't know.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #18
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
correct me if I'm wrong, but like all of our pics came from the acc/sec. Seems like they had a handle on it
I am not worried about the first tier guys but rather the second day guys that come from the small school that comes from having a scout know the region. Those are draftees were a good scout helps a team.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #19
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm not one to dwell on the past but how was retaining Slowik in Shanahan's self interest? I genuinely don't know.
The prevailing theory is he had fired two in two years and so if he fired Slowik it would make three coordinators in three years. This would make Shanahan look desperate (which he was) and also suggest he didn't know what he was doing on the defensive side of the ball (which he already proved when he fired Coyer.) It was a lose-lose for Shanahan.

I personally think Slowick undermined both Bates and Coyer when he arrived and turned the team against both men. I have no proof of this.

I also think Shanahan's reluctance to fire Slowick had less to do with maintaining an image and more to do with him being in total denial of how bad his team had become on both sides of the ball. I also think he allowed his personal relationship with Slowick to influence his decisions for his staff in a way that wasn't the best for the team.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #20
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
...This would make Shanahan look desperate (which he was) and also suggest he didn't know what he was doing on the defensive side of the ball (which he already proved when he fired Coyer.) It was a lose-lose for Shanahan...
Yep, and the team's ineptness in both the draft and FA on defense bears this out.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote