The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default Bowlen Unshaken on Vision For Broncos

Pretty good read on Bowlen and the current state of things without any of Woody's usual cuteness.

---------------------

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12281980
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

Quote:
He would have preferred that the Broncos had drafted more defensive players last weekend.

He has not spoken to Mike Shanahan since he fired him.

His new coach, Josh McDaniels, committed "rookie mistakes," but he fully supports him and is growing more assured he will be outstanding in the long term.
Quote:
"Win the Super Bowl? Probably not. But if we lose our first two games — and that's a possibility — I'm not going to panic.
Quote:
The owner paused and said: "I have short-term memory loss. I know that some of the memories of the Super Bowl championships are fading."
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Pat Bowlen deserves a lot of thanks from the city of Denver IMO. Without him Broncos may not have ever won anything. Obviously he has gotten a lot back but IMO he's more grateful acting then a lot of the fans around here recently.

He a great owner and we are lucky he owns the Broncos.

I hope his memory thing is not the start of something worst and is just an age thing.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:26 AM   #3
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

Herlocker ABatar MOJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Pat Bowlen deserves a lot of thanks from the city of Denver IMO. Without him Broncos may not have ever won anything. Obviously he has gotten a lot back but IMO he's more grateful acting then a lot of the fans around here recently.

I hope his memory thing is not the start of something worst and is just an age thing.

Even as much as I have hated the last 4 months Pat is a great owner and I know what a bad owner does to a team . See the Bengals .
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Even as much as I have hated the last 4 months Pat is a great owner and I know what a bad owner does to a team . See the Bengals .
TD think how hard it would be to stay out of it like he did. To have the self control to not pick up the phone and say I want you to draft more defense!!! has got to be immense.

I can't imagine owning the Broncos and not wanting to scream!!!!!!! DRAFT A DT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!

but he's smart he knows that he doesn't really know, and he leaves it to football people.

It's easy to see how much Shanny got so much power.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

The owner paused and said: "I have short-term memory loss. I know that some of the memories of the Super Bowl championships are fading."

That is kind of concerning....I hope it is nothing like the early stages of Alzheimer's.

It's not like he is 80 years old....he is only 65 years old....too young to just have a lot of 'natural' memory loss.

If it is early stage Alzheimer's he needs to get on some medications to help slow the progress of the disease. They have made some progress in the field, but the key is early detection.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

In all seriousness....maybe the memory loss explains the Gary Zimmerman Hall of Fame Induction speech.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:50 AM   #7
Meck77

"People will say I was lucky. I think I've always taken calculated risks," Bowlen said. "In this business, you have to take risks on players and coaches. There's been a lot of that going on lately, but I feel good about the risks I've taken."

Pat's oil business has been risky.
Pat's real estate business has been risky.
Buying the Broncos was risky.
Firing a stagnant manager that was no longer performing. His job.

Firing one of his highest paid employees for not returning his call? A formality.

Just another day at the office for a Billionaire.

That is a tough deal that he's potentially losing his memory. All the money in the world won't necessarily help him with that. I hope it's nothing serious.

Last edited by Meck77; 05-03-2009 at 04:12 AM..
Meck77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #8
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Even as much as I have hated the last 4 months Pat is a great owner and I know what a bad owner does to a team . See the Bengals and most of all Raiders.
Fixed it.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #9
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Perhaps this was toungue in cheek and this is his way of saying he wants some fresh memories of Super Bowls.
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I like Bowlen but he needs to start thinking about successor. And for a guy that said he was charge, I am surprised that neither McDaniels or Xanders briefed him what was going on. Some would say that is a pattern.

"Bowlen is pleased with the quarterback, Kyle Orton, and the draft picks the Broncos got in return from Chicago, but when told many were puzzled why McDaniels didn't choose more defensive players in the recent draft, Bowlen replied:

"Me, too."
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #11
ND Bronco Fan
Ring of Famer

My memories of the last super bowls are fading too.....I'm in my 30's.....maybe there was a little tongue in cheek there.
ND Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:28 AM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Bronco Fan View Post
My memories of the last super bowls are fading too.....I'm in my 30's.....maybe there was a little tongue in cheek there.
Thats my assumption, Bowlen has never seemed like the kind of guy who'd divulge that much personal info to the press.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #13
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
it's totally tongue in cheek, I am surprised so many took it literally
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #14
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Probably the most concerning article I've read about the Broncos in a while.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #15
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

No worries, Pat. Moreno jersey sales will help ease things. Just sign the checks and don't try to make football decisions. That's Jerry Jones ****.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #16
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Bowlen is seeking new memories. "I love what I'm doing. I'm enjoying this offseason more than I have in a long time."
Me too Pat, me too...
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #17
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

Without him Denver may not have had a team anymore.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Bowlen's presence has never been more pronounced than it was during the Cutler saga. Bowlen eventually ordered that Cutler be traded after the quarterback spurned his request to talk about differences he had with McDaniels, who had discussions with other teams about possibly trading Cutler.

"Honestly, I still don't know what happened with Jay. I don't want to throw him under the bus, but I made two phone calls (and there is proof, Broncos executives claim) and left voice mails with my cell number and asked him to call me, and he didn't," Bowlen said. "I don't do e-mails. If Jay had called and said he thought the coach was (not a nice person) and he wanted out of here, I would have said, 'Let's work this out.' But I heard nothing directly from him.

"Pick up the phone! That's where we got off the rails. We had no other choice but to trade him..."

Wait, you mean it wasn't McD's fault? It wasn't McD's decision?

Ellis, several sources say, was instrumental in getting Bowlen to agree to fire Shanahan, hire McDaniels (Ellis alone met with the new coach for a second interview) and trade Cutler.

Interesting.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #19
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post

Perhaps this was toungue in cheek and this is his way of saying he wants some fresh memories of Super Bowls.
That's the message I got from his comment.
Who thinks of 'short term' memory loss as a decade or more?
It's not remembering where you had lunch yesterday.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Bowlen is pleased with the quarterback, Kyle Orton, and the draft picks the Broncos got in return from Chicago, but when told many were puzzled why McDaniels didn't choose more defensive players in the recent draft, Bowlen replied:

"Me, too."
This is a warning shot across the bow. Shanny missed many of these. McDaniels should pay attention.

The memory thing is interesting. It might be his way of explaining away the fact that he told the newspaper many different things about his conversations with Jay.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #21
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
This is a warning shot across the bow. Shanny missed many of these. McDaniels should pay attention.

The memory thing is interesting. It might be his way of explaining away the fact that he told the newspaper many different things about his conversations with Jay.
Agreed. I can't remember Bowlen ever making a comment about who to draft or what his expectations might have been.
Bowlen knows his new HC has stirred up the fan base and community and while he will give McDaniels time to learn on the job, he won't show the same patience he had with Shanahan
Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #22
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Maybe the writer missed the context of the quote.

I don't know....this was in the article before the Super Bowl part:

• His health "is good," but he has experienced "short-term memory loss" in recent months.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 05-03-2009 at 08:15 AM..
Old 05-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #23
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Agreed. I can't remember Bowlen ever making a comment about who to draft or what his expectations might have been.
Bowlen knows his new HC has stirred up the fan base and community and while he will give McDaniels time to learn on the job, he won't show the same patience he had with Shanahan
I think you are over analyzing Bowlen, I think he just needs a few lessons in media speak, he should watch some of Shanny's old pressers on how to say nothing in 10,000 words or more.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #24
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I think you are over analyzing Bowlen, I think he just needs a few lessons in media speak, he should watch some of Shanny's old pressers on how to say nothing in 10,000 words or more.
I'm probably overcompensating on his behalf to counterbalance his gutless drunk image.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #25
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Ellis, who was director of marketing when Bowlen bought the majority ownership of the Broncos in 1984, has served in several executive capacities. He was named COO last year. Ellis, several sources say, was instrumental in getting Bowlen to agree to fire Shanahan, hire McDaniels (Ellis alone met with the new coach for a second interview) and trade Cutler.

That entire section is extremely curious to say the least. Strange, to say the least, how that was just casually thrown into the article.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote