The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default Interview with Chis Baker...

Take it for what it's worth. He's doing his own PR, but he at least sounds like he wants to do the right thing. His troubles were a couple of years ago. The new staff puts a premium on team players, captain-types. So, I'm guessing they've done enough to lead them to think he's worth the risk, and as a UDFA, there isn't much....

Q&A: Chris Baker, DT, Hampton
Written by NFL Draft Bible
Thursday, 19 February 2009 16:29
Why did you decide to enter the NFL Draft?
It was a hard decision. I talked it over with my parents and thought it was best if I left this year. I prayed about it and felt that leaving this year was best for me. I felt like I had a good chance to get drafted pretty high in the draft. I don’t think if I stayed at Hampton my draft stock could get much higher. I did so well this year and felt like it is my time to go to the NFL.

How is your training going?
I have been training hard for the last few months preparing for the NFL Combine. The workouts have been challenging but it is making me a lot faster and stronger – I am ready to impress the NFL teams with what I bring to the table.

Who is your agent/agency and what factors went into your decision?
Tony Paige at Perennial Sports & Entertainment . There were many factors that went into my decision. I needed someone who had experience in doing big contracts. I needed someone who could give me some personal attention. I didn’t want an agent who just does contracts and that’s it. I wanted an agent who I can call and talk about anything and a agent who can prepare me for life after football. I wanted an agent who has a lot of good relationships with the major decision makers in the NFL and outside of the NFL.

What is the highlight of your career?
The highlight of my career is overcoming all the adversity that I went through. Leaving Penn State and starting fresh at Hampton was very hard for me to deal with at first. I always wanted to play for Penn State and it all got taken away from me for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But, God had a plan for my life and I had to make the best of the situation. God led me to Hampton and I have done so well on the field and off the field. I wanted to prove to people that I am not the man that the media portrayed. The fact that I overcame my situation, had a great season and made good grades in school was the highlight of my career.

What position do you like playing the best?
I can’t really say that there is one position that I love the most. I have the strength and the body to play the 1 technique or 3 technique. I also have the quickness and the strength to play the 5 technique. I love playing football so wherever I end up - whether it is on the inside or the outside - I will adjust and do well.

What do you feel are your strengths as a player?
I feel that I am excellent at stopping the run – I take pride in it. If you stop the run, then you force the team to pass the ball and that’s when the game becomes fun. You can pin your ears back and get to the QB – I love pass rushing and disrupting plays. Also, I have a continuous motor and I play the game with incredible passion – I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to play on the next level.

Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Hartford, CT and Windsor, CT. I grew up playing basketball my whole life – I used my athleticism and size so it was fun. I tried football my junior year thanks to my best friend Terrance Knighton (DT) from Temple. I fell in love with football – it was especially rewarding because my college education was paid for because of my hard work on the field – that made my parents very proud.

Tell us about your family background and your role models.
I come from a great family - my mom and dad are great parents. They kept me in church when I was younger and showed me who God is and I’m thankful for that. My parents have been there for me my whole life through thick and thin. They have supported me and my siblings throughout our lives. It was hard raising two kids that played AAU basketball. They are the greatest.

One of my role models is my AAU basketball coach Dana Wright. He was a big inspiration in my life. He was one of the most successful African American males that has impacted my life. I stayed with him almost every weekend. His son Kyle Wright is one of my best friends. Coach Wright and his family taught me a lot about being a good man.

What do you like to do for fun?
I love to play my PS3. I play Madden 09, NBA 2k9, and NCAA 09. I’m pretty good at them all – I am willing to take on any challengers. I also love to listen to music – I enjoy all types of music.

What are your overall goals between now and Draft Day?
I just want to work hard to put myself in the best position on draft day. I have been pushing myself twice a day to become the best defensive lineman in the draft. I believe if the GM’s and scouts watch my film and find out the kind of person I am they will fall in love. I want to clear up all of the off the field issues and answer all the questions that many have about what actually happened while I was at PSU. I want to let America know the “Real Chris Baker.”
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Popps
It's so easy

@ Penn State...

2007 Junior Season
Baker played in 11 games, with seven starts, helping limit opponents to just 87.9 rushing yards per game, ranking Penn State No. 7 in the nation in run defense. Baker made 37 tackles, highest among the defensive tackles. His 4.5 sacks (minus-37 yards) were third-highest on the squad and he had 8.0 tackles for loss (fifth-best) and two pass breakups. Baker notched one of Penn State's season-high seven sacks against Florida International and another against Purdue among his four tackles. He recorded a career-high six tackles at Illinois, four stops in the 27-7 win over Iowa and five hits in the critical win at Indiana. In the 31-0 victory at Temple, Baker was dominant, recording 2.5 sacks for a total of 25 yards among his four stops, helping limit the Owls to four yards rushing. Baker was on the field for 463 snaps, led by 66 at Indiana and 64 against Purdue.

2006 Sophomore Season
In his first season on the field, Baker added depth to the defensive line and saw action in eight games. Baker helped Penn State continue to be one of the nation's top defenses, allowing just 87.5 rushing yards per game. He recorded six tackles (five solo), with two stops against Akron and two solo hits at Notre Dame, as well as solo hits in the Ohio State and Temple games. He was on the field for 69 plays, including 12 in the win over Tennessee in the Outback Bowl.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I think that the Broncos got a steal. Thank God for the Moral Majority. I think is crazy that this guy went undrafted .
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...hug_image.aspx

I remember these fights coming up in the news. Obviously
I don't condone it but these drunken brawls are typical on college
campuses and athletes are often targets/aggressors in these
situations. He was in a group too which has the peer pressure effect.
Hopefully, he's learned and doesn't find himself brawling in the
parking lot of Denny's at 6am.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

This guy could be the real deal or another Maurice Clarette? There is some interesting stuff in the attached article.

Chris Baker at Penn State I was the Defensive Coordinator for Chris at Windsor (CT) H.S. in 2003 and 2004. Chris is a fine student athlete, I also taught him in History class. Basically at PSU he was accused of being in 2 on campus fights. I think enough of Chris that I wrote a character letter on his behalf. However, due to the expenses of the legal process, Chris pled guilty to misdemeanors with the understanding that he would be able to continue his career at PSU…however once all the sht hit the fan (ESPN doing report on PSU supposedly being out of control last summer on OUtside the Lines)—-Paterno responded by kicking 2 players off the team, one being Chris. I felt that Chris was treated unfairly, however he thrived at Hampton.
I really believe that the charges against Chris were against the character that I had grown to appreciate while having him as a player and student.
i spoke to him last night and he is fired up to start with a clean slate. He is a FREAK of an athlete and I think will make people in Denver very happy for years to come.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2009...-by-broncos-as
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Gee a football DE (Chris Baker) who fights, thats a problem
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

So here is the link to the ESPN Outside the Lines about the incidents. No matter what there was something there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...ategoryid=null
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I'd love to hear Rev's thoughts on Baker.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Well he stayed out of trouble and played well last year at Hampton and is a solid player all around and could become just the solution we're looking for a NT with a little work. Hell yeah its worth the marginal risk!

Lets envision for a moment that Baker is fired up to make a name for himself and clicks at NT, and that Rulon Davis and Everette Pedescleaux are also solid DT/DE's in the making my by mid season to contribute to a solid rotation. Adding to that rotation Ron Fields, Marcus Thomas, Carlton Powell, who I feel strongly is going to be a big surprise for us, and both Darrel Reid and Roberts Ayers moving in and out of DE/OLB stance, and much of our front seven woes could already be solved and over!

Out LB core I'm not too worried about. Andra Davis next to DJ and Spencer Larson and Woodyard, then between, Doom, Ayers, and again Reid at OLB maybe even Crowder or Moss if either one shapes up and this UDFA Johnson who looks promising and I suspect things are going to look a lot different ... and much improved on the D all around.

We've already got a backfield to die for and now with Alphonso back there with Champ, Goodman, Hill and B-Dawk! :-) If Baker really works out we are over the hump for sure.

The thing is everybody and his uncle has a static snapshot of what the Broncos defense has looked like under the chaotic umbrella of Shanny's revolving DC's the last few years and automatically paint that picture onto what we are going to be now!.

I like this because no one will be prepared for a vastly improved D which this team has the potential to be with just a couple key new guys working out at a decent level and with Nolan and the new staff pulling the strings..

It may take till mid-season to really gel but if we can at least go 50% in the first half and bring it together the last half on both O and D anything is possible. Anyway, we should have a pretty good idea if this rosy scenario is possible or even likely by mid way training camp after the third preseason game. But I think a lot of people are going to be pleasantly surprised. Pleasant that is if you don't live in Chokeland, KC or San Diego.

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-02-2009 at 09:38 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

He's getting good grades, and praying about stuff?

Sounds pretty good ... bet he makes the final 53, we are bereft of NTs.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Watched the video on Chris Baker. He is a huge gamble, but probably the third best NT in the draft. The gamble is that he either keeps his nose clean, in which case he may end up being very very effective.

But the risk they present is huge. If Baker was the the person who bashed the bottle over the person's head and then continued to kick and or hit him after the person was unconscious, Then it's not a brawl, not just a fight, it's hitting someone who already is unconscious with additional trauma. People get accidentally killed that way.

Those are your two extremes. A great NT on one side, possibly a thug who could end up behind bars on the other. Let's hope the last two years have shown Baker how character matters, and we don't end up with another Maurice, Travis or worse, OJ on the team.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
He's getting good grades, and praying about stuff?

Sounds pretty good ... bet he makes the final 53, we are bereft of NTs.
Loot at it this way too BB, were building good depth as well right now. Even if these new D-lineman aren't the ultimate answer this year and need a bit more time to blossom, as is often the case on the DL, odds are good that a couple of them will become solid rotation guys and may well become solid starters next year or two. Thomas I think is really going to take a step forward in his third year in a better system for him.

If Baker can plays as well as some project he might at NT that's going to make life for Thomas and Powell/ Peterson/ Ayers, Rulon or whomever much easier.

We don't have to have the number one front 3 in the league this year. Just a solid consistent rotation, and that would set up the LBs to do their jobs stopping the run, and pressuring the QB. And, in turn, spring the DB's for an INT-fest like we haven't had here in awhile.

I doubt the DB's are going to have to make most of the tackles this year in any event, and that alone is a major improvement over last year.

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-02-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Watched the video on Chris Baker. He is a huge gamble, but probably the third best NT in the draft. The gamble is that he either keeps his nose clean, in which case he may end up being very very effective.

But the risk they present is huge. If Baker was the the person who bashed the bottle over the person's head and then continued to kick and or hit him after the person was unconscious, Then it's not a brawl, not just a fight, it's hitting someone who already is unconscious with additional trauma. People get accidentally killed that way.

Those are your two extremes. A great NT on one side, possibly a thug who could end up behind bars on the other. Let's hope the last two years have shown Baker how character matters, and we don't end up with another Maurice, Travis or worse, OJ on the team.
Where's the gamble? He was an undrafted free agent
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #14
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post

I think the kids were exaggerating what happened personally. Being on the football team is like being in a frat except teamates are alot closer than any frat could be as they spend 7 hours a day with eachother. I think alot more was made of it than should have been.Not that i defend the action but if someone beats up your family member you'd probably be more than happy to return the favor. I sounds like a couple guys jumped that Scuttoro guy and then had the favor returned. Just because someone gets into a couple fights doesn't make them a thug.

Personal pride and the Alpha male is being hunted in our society. Eventually it will be extinct but for now people who believe someone has to stand behind what they say and do are going to be persecuted. They have no place in our society anymore it seems.Of course if you get caught fighting someone you have to except the punishment.

True character is gained only through loss, so he eather learned his lesson or he didn't. You can't make rash emotional decisions they only lead to trouble.

Last edited by KillerBronco#76; 05-02-2009 at 10:32 AM..
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBronco#76 View Post
I think the kids were exaggerating what happened personally. Being on the football team is like being in a frat except teamates are alot closer than any frat could be as they spend 7 hours a day with eachother. I think alot more was made of it than should have been.Not that i defend the action but if someone beats up your family member you'd probably be more than happy to return the favor. I sounds like a couple guys jumped that Scuttoro guy and then had the favor returned. Just because someone gets into a couple fights doesn't make them a thug.

Personal pride and the Alpha male is being hunted in our society. Eventually it will be extinct but for now people who believe someone has to stand behind what they say and do are going to be persecuted. They have no place in our society anymore it seems.Of course if you get caught fighting someone you have to except the punishment.

True character is gained only through loss, so he eather learned his lesson or he didn't. You can't make rash emotional decisions they only lead to trouble.

The kid was taken to the emergency room with head injuries, what the exaggeration? This isn't about personal pride or hunting Alpha male crap it about rule of law. Those Penn State players went there looking to hurt someone for some stupid reason, and their actions were wrong.

Last edited by elsid13; 05-02-2009 at 11:16 AM..
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBronco#76 View Post
Personal pride and the Alpha male is being hunted in our society.
No they're not.

I understand your point. You're all for giving Baker the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was a thug, and maybe it was less than it seems. We'll probably never know. But, there's nothing endangered about the thug mentality in the world.

Ultimate Fighting isn't rising to become one of the most popular sports in the world because the "alpha male is being hunted."

This has nothing to do with societal change. A kid got himself in some **** and that comes with consequences.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I doubt off the field issues will be a problem with this guy or prevent him from being on the team. How much talent he really has will be the issue. Let's hope he can be the answer at NT at some point. He has the size that's for sure.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
Popps
It's so easy

Again, I think we all need to remember that we're not 100% sure Nolan needs a traditional, full-time blob of a human to play NT in his system. There have already been hints that we'll play SOME 4-3, and that he likes Fields quite a bit. Fields isn't one of these massive orbs, but he apparently clogs the run and takes on blockers well.

Still, we will likely have a need for a bigger body at times.... and the book on Baker seems to be that he's best suited as a rotation player. So, who knows... it could work out.

As the coach says, we have a long way to go...
Old 05-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #19
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Thomas I think is really going to take a step forward in his third year in a better system for him.
It's been a quiet secret (not really any longer) that Shanahan wanted to move to a 3-4 in a piecemeal, evolutionary way. The failure of that change is as good a reason as any for him not being here anymore.

Thomas was one of the linchpins for that strategy.

Quote:
We don't have to have the number one front 3 in the league this year. Just a solid consistent rotation, and that would set up the LBs to do their jobs stopping the run, and pressuring the QB. And, in turn, spring the DB's for an INT-fest like we haven't had here in awhile.
As last year proved on the offensive line, one solid player can make all the difference between a porous line, and the best line in the league. I have firmly believed that we have the talent at the LB corp for a while, especially with WW's depth. It was the line and even more so the safeties that let us down.

Quote:
Where's the gamble? He was an undrafted free agent
The NFL has changed. Character issues lead to suspensions and fan dissatisfaction. That's a risk.

Quote:
I think the kids were exaggerating what happened personally. Being on the football team is like being in a frat except teamates are alot closer than any frat could be as they spend 7 hours a day with eachother.
I'm sorry. I completely disagree. The interviews with the coach and the team clearly indicated a wolf pack mentality, as well as a mentality that the rules did not apply to them. Everyone in that organization was so concerned about a "witch hunt" they failed to realize that a large unit of their team went out and deliberately beat a student.

That indicates exceptional-ism and a pack mentality. Dangerous.

Quote:
As they should. Battering another human being does not get ignored because you can move a football player on a field. Ask David Kirkus. These players, and players in the NFL have been acting as if their only duty is to win on the field, and that absolved them of any other responsibility to society.

It might have been that way once, but no longer.

Quote:
Character is taught by your parents and by your community, and by your friends. This action appears to be the UPenn football team deciding that they had the right to freely brutalize a student. Chris Baker appeared - by the report which is vauge - to be at the forefront of that terror.

Character isn't created by loss, it's tested by it. Perhaps Chris Baker has learned, but him excelling on the football field does not give him a get out of jail free card.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #20
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

It's Penn State! If it was Miami it would of never made the evening news. We are not recruiting this kid, we are asking him to kick ass and take names. I hope he becomes the the biggest bad ass NT in the NFL.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I'd love to hear Rev's thoughts on Baker.
He's an idiot. I don't know any other way to put it.

Great size and relative quickness when it comes to being such a big boy.

It's like Marcus Thomas pick-up x 3. This moron gets arrested with felony charges, put on probation and while on probation with a future as bright as it could possibly be, he does it again.

Paterno's an old-school, solve it in house, kind of guy. When he flat out kicks you off the team for being a thug, you're a thug. And then Baker goes to Hampton and has a GOOD season against horrid competition and instead of staying his senior year to prove he can handle staying out of trouble, he comes out for the draft. Well no-**** you went undrafted.

Who knows, maybe we have the support system in place and ended up with a genuine football player, but I personally won't be surprised if he's robbing Burger Kings with Clarrett by the end of pre-season.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
He's an idiot. I don't know any other way to put it.

Great size and relative quickness when it comes to being such a big boy.

It's like Marcus Thomas pick-up x 3. This moron gets arrested with felony charges, put on probation and while on probation with a future as bright as it could possibly be, he does it again.

Paterno's an old-school, solve it in house, kind of guy. When he flat out kicks you off the team for being a thug, you're a thug. And then Baker goes to Hampton and has a GOOD season against horrid competition and instead of staying his senior year to prove he can handle staying out of trouble, he comes out for the draft. Well no-**** you went undrafted.

Who knows, maybe we have the support system in place and ended up with a genuine football player, but I personally won't be surprised if he's robbing Burger Kings with Clarrett by the end of pre-season.
Is he going to break Clarrett out of jail first?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Is he going to break Clarrett out of jail first?
You really needed to take it that literally...?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #24
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Good post, but I don't think we have a solid, consistent rotation, not even close.

We have zero true NTs. I suppose if you want to count Ron Fields, okay, but he has just 5 career starts.

I just don't know what they're gonna do on the D-line ... if Ayers is really gonna play 3-4 DE, I'm encouraged. The Denver Post first said OLB, then changed it to DE. Plus, McD was quoted as saying "he plays bigger than his size," which tells me DE.

If Ayers goes DE, and if he can play right away (a big if), then our starters are decent in Ayers, Fields and Thomas, with Peterson, Powell/Baker and a wild card at DE. That sounds better. Whadd'ya think?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #25
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
You really needed to take it that literally...?
Maybe after they are done robbing fast food joints together they can go pick up Ivan the Terrible and go rape and pilage. Or bertter yet they can find Hittler and go Jew bashing.

Have you ever stopped and wondered maybe the guy that got his ass stomped had it coming? Not one time have I ever been hit without running my mouth in some shape or form.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote