The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Spencer Larsen still playing three ways

Did anyone see the press conference from McDaniels? He mentioned Larsen takes reps on offense, defense and special teams still, though I guess he's getting more reps on defense than offense. Kind of cool.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12276620

Quote:
"Spencer has enough ability and enough mental capacity to be able to handle a limited role offensively and a role defensively and also help us in the kicking game," McDaniels said.
At least to me that sounds like more defense than offense since he put that "limited" on the offensive part and not the defensive part.

Last edited by Kaylore; 05-02-2009 at 01:06 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
Popps
It's so easy

Extremely cool. Versatile players always seem to sit well with the fans, particularly a guy like Larsen who came out of nowhere.

I guess this is a pretty good tell that Hillis will also be used quite a bit, being pretty versatile himself.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
Jason7730
Seasoned Veteran

It's cool, but Hillis can do everything ( on offense that Larsen can do ). ..................I know, I know, I have to recondition my thinking to really value versitility. I hope Larsen sticks. I remember a boxing announcer thinking that a Mormon fighter wouldn't be able to stand up to violent aspect of the sport. The other guy, ( I think it might have been Max Kellerman ), informed him that unlike the Amish, who did not believe in any form of violence 'people of the Mormon faith' were in fact some of the most ferocious fighters in boxing's past. S. Larsen has shown he carries his BRASS B's on the way down the field, with bad intentions.
By the way, I am not a member of the Mormon church.
( but I like the series "Big Love" )

Last edited by Jason7730; 05-02-2009 at 01:22 AM..
Jason7730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The only thing related to his faith that might contribute to football as we value hard work. In that sense at least Larsen won't be slacking in any aspect. I'm for him doing as much as he can. Aside from making it a good story and making him look cool, it also increases his chances of making the team.

Oh, and Big Love is pretty much off the mark on everything.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Spencer is a hammer. I hope he gets some real reps on defense and finds a home in the 3-4.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Versatile fast players will replace the wedge busters now that they are no longer needed. It will open up some new roster spots.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yeah ... like how do you figure a Mom & Pop big box hardware store could survive against Home Depot and Wal-Mart?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'm obviously in the minority, but I don't see any reason why Larsen should play offense. At all. Especially with Quinn on the roster now.

Larsen is a bit older than the others, but he's still basically a kid. Have him concentrate on learning the nuances of defensive playcalling in the 3-4 and hybrid sets. Andra Davis won't be here forever.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Larsen is a real blue collar guy, he makes minimum wage pretty much for a football player and has to absorb 3 different systems and be coached by 3 guys.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I'm obviously in the minority, but I don't see any reason why Larsen should play offense. At all. Especially with Quinn on the roster now.

Larsen is a bit older than the others, but he's still basically a kid. Have him concentrate on learning the nuances of defensive playcalling in the 3-4 and hybrid sets. Andra Davis won't be here forever.
With Larson ability to play FB, it means that one position that open somewhere else. Since McDaniels doesn't use FB a lot that why it important to find someone that fill that role and others on the team.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Like Elsid13 said, McDaniels doesn't use the FB a ton - so if he's got Hillis and Larsen who can play that position and others (HB and ILB, respectively) he saves roster spots.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Extremely cool. Versatile players always seem to sit well with the fans, particularly a guy like Larsen who came out of nowhere.

I guess this is a pretty good tell that Hillis will also be used quite a bit, being pretty versatile himself.
Whoa skippy, he didn't come out of nowhere. There were a few of us that were telling anybody that would listen that the kid is a player. The AZ vs Oregon game two years ago was the deal for me. He was laying the wood to Jonathon Stewart on just about every run he had to the middle. Stewart wasn't falling forward either. Larsen can definitely lay the wood.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #13
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Like Elsid13 said, McDaniels doesn't use the FB a ton - so if he's got Hillis and Larsen who can play that position and others (HB and ILB, respectively) he saves roster spots.
I just can't see Larsen playing HB. Did he ever get a single carry at FB?

Likewise, I don't see Hillis playing ILB.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Whoa skippy, he didn't come out of nowhere. There were a few of us that were telling anybody that would listen that the kid is a player. The AZ vs Oregon game two years ago was the deal for me. He was laying the wood to Jonathon Stewart on just about every run he had to the middle. Stewart wasn't falling forward either. Larsen can definitely lay the wood.
Exactly. First team PAC-10 his senior season (ahead of Rey-Rey) and second team his junior season are pretty good indication he knows how to play. Remember Larson is the one that ran down blew up Dixon, when Dixon was on his way to the Heisman.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
The only thing related to his faith that might contribute to football as we value hard work. In that sense at least Larsen won't be slacking in any aspect. I'm for him doing as much as he can. Aside from making it a good story and making him look cool, it also increases his chances of making the team.

Out of curiousity, what is big love off on? Because the family in that isn't Mormon (though i guess they believe in the book of mormon?) I dunno, its great that people have their religion if it brings them together for the good, but i think its all a little wacky.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Out of curiousity, what is big love off on? Because the family in that isn't Mormon (though i guess they believe in the book of mormon?) I dunno, its great that people have their religion if it brings them together for the good, but i think its all a little wacky.
This probably isn't the thread for it, but a lot of their beliefs, things in the temple and their justifications for many of their actions. It's very "um, that's not really what it's like at all."
Old 05-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Popps
It's so easy

Larsen at the combine...

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
This probably isn't the thread for it, but a lot of their beliefs, things in the temple and their justifications for many of their actions. It's very "um, that's not really what it's like at all."
Dont you think thats part of the point of the show though? I think Bill is kinda willy nilly and consistently compromises the core belief structure to get what he wants. I think he's wholly unlikeable.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

As a child of a slc(my mom left slc to move to denver) family..I can say with assurance that big love is very close to my experience within the community. But like anything, there are a million different people that make up a culture and you can't make generalizations.

95% of the mormons I know are the nicest people in the world, but there is, like all religions and groups a fringe that is truly scary.

the episodes centered around the compound are very close to home for me.

either way, Big love is a very very good show regardless of accuracy or faith.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen a television show that adequately deals with the theological and cultural nuances of ANY religion. For the sake of the masses, profound ideas are dumbed down to one-line explanations and motives are simplified to the point of idiocy. I've never watched Big Love, but I imagine that in some ways the over-simplification is even worse than normal, because they've chosen to deal with a branch of Mormonism (polygamists) that exists on the periphery of the religion.
goldengopher1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Dont you think thats part of the point of the show though? I think Bill is kinda willy nilly and consistently compromises the core belief structure to get what he wants. I think he's wholly unlikeable.
I guess I could see that. I just have concerns that people watch the show and think "that's how LDS people are! They are all like that!" We haven't practiced polygamy for over a century and I still get questions like "you're Mormon? How many Mom's do you have? Do you watch Big Love?"

Anyway, this is not what this thread is for, so I'm not going to say anymore on this here.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I guess Champ doesn't have enough ability and enough mental capacity to be able to handle a limited role offensively and a role defensively anymore.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #23
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I guess Champ doesn't have enough ability and enough mental capacity to be able to handle a limited role offensively and a role defensively anymore.
That not true. But he is at the age when you have to worry about the additional abuse on his body.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #24
skunk
Seasoned Veteran

WOE UNTO THEE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
No

im going to be playing "three ways" tonight if you know what i mean lol

skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #25
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Funny...I see it as a sign Hillis might not be here at all if they're working out Larsen at FB...especially since a double TE offense doesn't require a FB.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote