The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default Discuss #30 and #27 (and #56)

Am I the only one that's really weirded out by a Safety having TD's number and a RB having a number that's associated with Atwater and R.I.P. D Will.

ADDED #56

I thought it should be important to note that the last player to wear #56 on our active roster (Al Wilson) went to the University of Tennessee just like Ayres. I'm inclined to believe that's why Ayres chose the number (out of respect and to honor a follow Volunteer).

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 05-02-2009 at 12:37 PM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Am I the only one that's really weirded out by a Safety having TD's number and a RB having a number that's associated with Atwater and R.I.P. D Will.
Why would you be weirded out by it? Lots of players wore #30 and #27 before TD, Atwater and D-Will and I'm sure they played RB, CB and Safety. Players have worn those numbers afterward. Santonio Beard and Ahmaad Galloway wore #30 and @27 respectively, and they both played RB.

Ultimately, it's just a number.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Oh yeah, I forgot that Mike Bell wore #30 in 2007 as well.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:35 AM   #4
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

I'd like to see 27 retired. Atwater definitely earned it IMO. Shortly after I met him after a MNF game at RFK, that's the number I chose for my HS lacrosse team.

Love TD, but he just wasn't around long enough IMO. Having said that, if his number ever got retired, I certainly wouldn't object.

EDIT: Somebody should start a petition. Seriously, I bet Pat would listen to 10k signatures. You could get that out front of 1 or 2 home games easily. I bet even opposing team fans would sign it for Atwater.

Last edited by Broncomutt; 05-02-2009 at 02:40 AM..
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
Prodigal19
Seasoned Veteran

Pretty sure Pat has already said that he is only going to retire numbers of players at the same level as Elway. Sorry but Atwater wasn't quite that caliber.
Prodigal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think they should have a semi-retirement of certain numbers for a 5 year period after a great player has worn it.

Would be a nice gesture in certain instances like D-Will as well.

Very few, if any, will reach Elway level again in Denver. So a semi-retirement would be a nice gesture I think.

As it stands though, I've no problem with Moreno and Bruton wearing the two numbers.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal19 View Post
Pretty sure Pat has already said that he is only going to retire numbers of players at the same level as Elway. Sorry but Atwater wasn't quite that caliber.
That's unfortunate. I mean, who the hell is ever going to be at the level of Elway?

EDIT: Sharpe I suppose.

Last edited by Broncomutt; 05-02-2009 at 04:12 AM..
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:12 AM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Teams usually retire numbers easier early in their histories. As the get older they realize they will run out of numbers so they stick to the real HOFer.

If a player makes HOF I think that should automatically retire his number.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:10 AM   #9
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't know if this changes any of your opinions:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...in-Denver.html

No. 27 is back in circulation in Denver.

The number was put on hiatus as a tribute to slain cornerback Darrent Williams. The popular Williams, who was 24 at the time of his death, was shot and killed in downtown Denver on Jan. 1, 2007, hours after the team's season ended.

After not being used the past two seasons, the number will be worn by Denver rookie running back Knowshon Moreno. The Broncos picked Moreno, out of Georgia, with the 12th choice in last weekend's draft. He is expected to be the starting running back for an offense that may become more run-oriented in the wake of the Jay Cutler trade to Chicago.

Moreno, who wore No. 24 in college (that's worn by All-Pro cornerback Champ Bailey in Denver), asked for the number this week. The Broncos then called Williams' mother, Rosalind Williams, to ask permission to use the number. The Williams family called the Broncos back and gave their blessing for Moreno to wear the number -- on one condition.

They plan to ask Moreno to donate a few hours of his time each month to the Darrent Williams Teen Center, which was opened in a low-income part of Denver last May to honor the Williams' memory. Moreno wore the number at the team's minicamp practice Friday.

"We knew that number wasn't going to be on the shelf forever," said Troy Asmus, the Williams family's spokesman. "We would like Knowshon to be part of the community center to help with the growth and maturation of these kids."
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:21 AM   #10
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I dont mind seeing the numbers. I was against DWILL using that number but he proved me wrong with how he played.

Im sure Knowshon will do fine, and seeing #30 on Defense will be so odd it wont remind me of DAvis anyway
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #11
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I have no problem with it in the NFL, only a select few numbers to choose from with a very large roster size.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #12
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

When I see #36, I still see Billy Thompson and #75 Rulon Jones so you see every generation has a different perspective on this issue.

I think Elway, Little and Traipucka are the only retired numbers?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #13
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I'm against retiring numbers unless they are of Elway's calibre. Just because someone wears number 27 doesn't detract from what Atwater did for us. Same goes for 30. I've moved on and accepted they're not here.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
The Broncos then called Williams' mother, Rosalind Williams, to ask permission to use the number. The Williams family called the Broncos back and gave their blessing for Moreno to wear the number -- on one condition.

They plan to ask Moreno to donate a few hours of his time each month to the Darrent Williams Teen Center, which was opened in a low-income part of Denver last May to honor the Williams' memory.
Wow ... a phone call before you mess around with somebody's place and identity with the team.

I guess they're learning ....
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #15
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Wow ... a phone call before you mess around with somebody's place and identity with the team.

Are you serious?

Darrent was MURDERED, Jay was just talked about in some trade scenarios. It's not even the same ballpark.

That's so messed up. You should take a break from all things Broncos if you really feel this way.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #16
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

I have a lot of respect for what Knowshon did. That was a great thought. Here is a man that just got to Denver but knows about our team, our history and the players before him who have put it down for the orange and blue.

Moreno just got a lot of points based on that.

One thing I can say about all the new recruits, I think they are all great people. This is just another example of that being true.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #17
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

A number is a number.

Players make the jersey great. Is there anyone here that doesn't love Atwater or hold all our present and future safeties up to his standard? His play and legacy stand with or without a jersey number, the dude was a gamer for the ages.

Same with TD.

Now, let someone else continue the legacy and try to live up to the same number. It's just a number. Do the team proud every day with your efforts, earn the jersey.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #18
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Are you serious?

Darrent was MURDERED, Jay was just talked about in some trade scenarios. It's not even the same ballpark.

That's so messed up. You should take a break from all things Broncos if you really feel this way.
Don't see the problem, made no reference to the nature of the identity and place.

And, "take a break from all things Broncos"? Really?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #19
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Don't see the problem, made no reference to the nature of the identity and place.

And, "take a break from all things Broncos"? Really?
Oh, you're just being a douche. Got it. Nice work dude.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
A number is a number.

Players make the jersey great. Is there anyone here that doesn't love Atwater or hold all our present and future safeties up to his standard? His play and legacy stand with or without a jersey number, the dude was a gamer for the ages.

Same with TD.

Now, let someone else continue the legacy and try to live up to the same number. It's just a number. Do the team proud every day with your efforts, earn the jersey.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #21
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
I think they should have a semi-retirement of certain numbers for a 5 year period after a great player has worn it.

Would be a nice gesture in certain instances like D-Will as well.

Very few, if any, will reach Elway level again in Denver. So a semi-retirement would be a nice gesture I think.

As it stands though, I've no problem with Moreno and Bruton wearing the two numbers.
I like this idea. Its a good way to honor great players for the team without losing numbers permanently or to honor their tragic deaths.

I think the black stickers should have been permanent or at least lasted 5 years or so. JMO.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #22
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I've seen teams where rookies don't get their names on the back of the jersey until they earn it. I like the touch, as it gives them something more to work toward after first making the team. No letdown or relaxing just because they made the squad.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #23
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

No biggie with the numbers. Plus they could change by the time the season starts. Nothing is official now, it's just a # to tell whom is whom for now.

Once numbers start free'n up I'm sure will will see a few number swaps.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #24
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Not many #27's at running back for the Broncos. I remember going to "kids day" at Bears stadium in the 60's and I got an autograph from this #27 Bronco running back:

http://tinyurl.com/cgj2v7
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Actually, according to an updated version of the Post article, Knowshon made the call to DWill's mom:

Quote:
Moreno personally called Rosalind Williams, Darrent's mother, earlier this week to ask if he could wear the number. Rosalind gave her blessing.
Classy move by the rookie.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote