The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default i think the biggest problem with mcdaniels rookie drafting experience...

he was too inflexible, at the end of the day. look at the 4th round safety (burton i think), there was a DT immediately after. i think when it came down to it, he followed the BPA philosophy too far instead of drafting at positions of true need, he always took the higher rated player when we didnt need them. i think if he had a safety rated slightly higher than a DT (like sammy lee hill), he took the safety even though we didnt need another one and we really needed DT.

i think he also got a bit too antsy and traded up too many times when players likely would have fell atleast a bit further, however i think thats also because his draft lists were dwindling far faster than anticipated and he didnt want to risk having to pick an unknown, hed rather get FEWER players, but players that he has spoken to and knew would contribute to the team.

overall for a first draft i think he did really good.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The Burton pick IMO had a lot to do with special teams. IMO he really wanted to add 2-3 players that could help there.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The Burton pick IMO had a lot to do with special teams. IMO he really wanted to add 2-3 players that could help there.
I think you are right on the money
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
That makes sense on Day Two I guess ...

Was Bruton the only ND player drafted ... anybody?

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 04-30-2009 at 11:03 AM..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
That makes sense on Day 2 I suppose.
I'm not saying they don't think he can be a starter someday, only that I think his special teams prowess played into Broncos taking Bruton at that spot instead of maybe a big DT that you know won't help on kick coverage.

From what Notre Dame fans say this Bruton kid is pretty crazy on special teams. I guess he likes to come flying in full speed trying to kill people. Broncos could use some of that.

Also I have this feeling Broncos special teams will be manned with a crazier mentality then the past. These guys will be flying around trying to make a roster spot.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Special Teams has been a thorn in the side of the Broncos for a long time (aside from Elam, but even he was just a field goal kicker). STs plays a huge role in field position for both offense and defense.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

McD seems to want backups that are aces on special teams...whereas Shany tried to turn backups into special teamers.

See the Arrington, Griesen, and Burton pickups. All of those guys are known for their special team ability.

IMO, I think it is a welcome change. I mean a 4th string safety will never see the field, so if he is a special team stud then I am thrilled. It is a great philosophy.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
McD seems to want backups that are aces on special teams...whereas Shany tried to turn backups into special teamers.
This board doesn't care for special teamers either ... in the threead "Which LBs Would You Cut?", Louis Green had as many votes as Boss Bailey.

Louis Green, and Mike Leach for that matter, have been excellent special teamers for us ...
Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
This board doesn't care for special teamers either ... in the threead "Which LBs Would You Cut?", Louis Green had as many votes as Boss Bailey.

Louis Green, and Mike Leach for that matter, have been excellent special teamers for us ...
I'm thinking that if WW doesn't start at LB, then he's gonna be a great STs guy. Hence, I voted Green off the island...

I'm about to vote you off the island too, you lousy, no good liberal.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Yes, Bruton was the only Golden Domer selected in this year's draft...

Me thinks Weiss gave McLovin' the suggestion...
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

IMO we are going to have a great special teams unit for a change. I can't wait! It will be so nice to start out with good field position and to make the opponents start out with bad field position. That element has been missing from the Broncos for a long time.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
he was too inflexible, at the end of the day. look at the 4th round safety (burton i think), there was a DT immediately after. i think when it came down to it, he followed the BPA philosophy too far instead of drafting at positions of true need, he always took the higher rated player when we didnt need them. i think if he had a safety rated slightly higher than a DT (like sammy lee hill), he took the safety even though we didnt need another one and we really needed DT.

i think he also got a bit too antsy and traded up too many times when players likely would have fell atleast a bit further, however i think thats also because his draft lists were dwindling far faster than anticipated and he didnt want to risk having to pick an unknown, hed rather get FEWER players, but players that he has spoken to and knew would contribute to the team.

overall for a first draft i think he did really good.

Don't you think that if they actually wanted that DT they would have taken him? Contrary to popular belief, these people aren't retarded. If after the next few seasons that DT emerges as a force, well then hooray, our front office fails. For now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they have some kind of idea of how to do their job.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I think he sees a team with virtually no depth across the board (whose fault is that?), and he's doing what he can to fill it. Obviously the fanbase has seen a terrible Front 7 for years (same question as above) and wants it addressed whereas McD is just coming on the scene. If in '10 or '11, he's still doing the same thing, then there's definitely a reason to complain. Right now there's a blank slate, he doesn't deserve any faith in his picks nor he deserve any derision either because he has no track record. If Shanahan had pulled out this draft, the majority of the board would be scared to death of all 4 picks on defense because they can from positions that Shanahan had an established track record of an inability to find guys through the draft at those positions.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Did you watch his press conference on Sunday night? Whenever he talked about STs he got deadly serious. He realises their importance.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

He's rebuilding the defense from scratch basically and this was a weak draft for DL. I'd say he did the smart thing in taking significantly more talented DBs over DLs who might not even stick in the league through their first season.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
He's rebuilding the defense from scratch basically and this was a weak draft for DL. I'd say he did the smart thing in taking significantly more talented DBs over DLs who might not even stick in the league through their first season.
Thats what I think too...

I don't think he was too impressed with what we could have gotten at our spot.

The Patriots draft the same way....they draft best value on the board no matter what position....

(uh oh, i think thats going to make me a Patriots fan)
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
meangene
Ring of Famer

Actually I give McDaniels a great deal of credit for sticking to his board and not going for a "quick fix" at need positions. It would have been easy to appease the masses and the draft gurus but, even as a rookie head coach in his first draft, he did not lose sight of the big picture. He has a plan and he has the balls to stick to it. Part of that plan is long-term success by drafting the BPA. If he doesn't demonstrate commitment to his plan and faith in his staff, how can he expect the players to follow? I like his confidence and I like his toughness.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Special Teams was only behind the horrific front 7 and secondary in terms of things that screwed us last year

I welcome that changing
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #19
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Many believe that it will take some time to build the defense, so then why do people get upset they didn't take some project DL, at least in their eyes, and went with guys they thought would be the better players and help the team more?

I think McDaniels would have shown more inflexibility if he has just decided he was going with a DL no matter who it was and where it was, and not worrying about a player higher rated available on their draft board.

When you do things like that, not only do you likely not improve your weakness, but a weakness that develops in a year or two wasn't addressed either since you missed out on some better talent and now your holes are becoming numerous and that's how you keep losing.

Don't forget, this is the NFL. Guys go down with an injury at a moment's notice. You need to draft well regardless of position for when a guy does go down, you need someone who can play at that spot.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #20
c_lazy_r
Speak Softly and...

Carry a Big Stick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bobby Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Don't you think that if they actually wanted that DT they would have taken him? Contrary to popular belief, these people aren't retarded. If after the next few seasons that DT emerges as a force, well then hooray, our front office fails. For now I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they have some kind of idea of how to do their job.
Dead on the money!
c_lazy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #21
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'm about to vote you off the island too, you lousy, no good liberal.
I might be a lousy liberal ... but I sure as hell don't live on no island!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHead View Post

Bingo.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #23
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHead View Post

Or him being one of the best ST gunners in all of college football last year. Take your pick.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I love how people think they know more about our needs than a a multiple Super Bowl Winning experienced paid professional
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #25
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

You know who I really, really want to watch on Special Teams?

Our seventh round draft pick Blake Schlueter. I know the dude is a Center, but he must be a hell of an athlete. The dude weighs 290 and runs a 4.7 40 yard dash.

That is some serious power at 290 lbs. He gonna blow somebody up.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote