The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
anton
Solid Starter

Default My Knowshon Moreno and Alphonso Smith highlights

I'll try to find something for the other picks as well...

KNOWSHON
PART 1

PART 2

ALPHONSO
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

I think whoever drafts that Smith guy is getting one heck of a player.

Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wow... middle video, watch the run at 1:16.

First off, sees the middle is clogged... takes it outside, and look at the extra gear! Given, he's just outrunning a linemen, but **** did he bounce outside in a hurry. Then, puts a serious hat on someone to finish the run.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

I love how Smith jumps routes, he reads the QBs eyes, and is a physical corner. he tackles, aids in the stopping the run and has great hands. i really like the pick.

Why is everyone calling Moreno slow? he may not have a blazing 40, but he has major game speed. i am not saying Moreno is like TD, or will be the new TD, but he has great vision, quick through the hole, finds the cutback, delivers a blow to would be tacklers, falls forward. he looks explosive and powerful. i guarantee without Moreno, no chance in hell would Stafford have been number 1 in this draft.

on the TD point i was bringing up, he didn't have track star speed in the 40 or anything, but he had major game speed.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Why is everyone calling Moreno slow? .
Someone on Youtube had a little fun dispelling that notion at a couple of commentators' expense...

You nailed it, though. Who gives a **** if his 40 doesn't time well. Look at this guy. He's got an extra gear when he needs it. 90% of what a great RB does has more to do with change of direction and burst/initial acceleration than it does flat-line speed.

In fact, I wonder how many of the game's all-time great RBs had top-notch 40 times? Just guessing, but I'd bet a small percentage.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Smith is going to get beat once or twice a game on a jump ball. Just count on it happening. But, I'll bet he more than makes up for it with passes defended and INTs. Just a gut feeling from watching his highlights.

What you don't want, is to have him manned up on a guy like Reggie Wayne, like we did with D-will in that last loss in Denver. I'm not saying he can never cover a big receiver, but don't ask him to do it in the red-zone without a little help.

I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to be a big-time fan favorite in Denver.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Moreno is a really natural runner. I'm super excited. He uses his stiff arm well and seems to have a natural ability to make people miss. Also he finishes his runs by driving legs and falling forward.

Moreno doesn't seem to have the extra gear though. IMO he will get a lot of 20 yrd runs, but maybe not a lot of take it to the house 50 yrd runs.

We will see though vision can get you free but NFL dbacks are very fast. Usually a couple 4.4 guys out there to run you down if you don't have an extra gear.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #8
TheDave
Sauced...

Is it just me or is Georgia one of the worrst blocking teams ever?

Not so much on the line, but evertime he breaks to the 2nd level he still has 4-5 guys swarming around him.

Just an example in video #1 at about the :30 mark there is a good cut block to initially sping him then he left to his own ability to weave in and out of traffic as only one guy wearing a Red jearsey is doing anything.

Seriously watch these clips... Georgia tends to do a pretty good job of getting a hat on a hat at the LOS after that there is next to no help from anyone.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

First off, sees the middle is clogged... takes it outside, and look at the extra gear! Given, he's just outrunning a linemen, but **** did he bounce outside in a hurry. Then, puts a serious hat on someone to finish the run.
He needs a solid year of heavy iron, Bobby Turner and focus on what he learned from Hershel Walker. I like his maturity, smarts and aggressiveness on field. I hope he ends RBBC to an extent.

I love his ability to catch passes. I love his vision on the field. I am not worried about his speed or toughness. My hope is the QB does not lean on the guy. I want a pass happy offense with Moreno putting the game out of reach.

Last edited by Odysseus; 04-30-2009 at 12:22 AM..
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

He's not slow he's just not super fast. TD wasn't super fast either but he was fast enough. Besides RBS make there yrds by getting lots of 5 and 10 yrd runs and making first downs. Tatum Bell is super fast remember?

More important is how he fights for extra yrds, has fluid hips, changes direction quickly, has a good stiff arm and seems to catch ball very very easily and with his hands.

I'm thinking 1000 yrds rushing and 300 yrds recieving for Moreno and he is in runnning for rookie of the yr.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

After watching both Moreno clips, you can really see just what a motor that guy has. I mean, he's bouncing up off the turf after nearly every running play, almost as if he wants to sprint back to the huddle and get on to the next one. I love that.

Also, some other things I noticed.

* Maybe he doesn't have top end straight line speed, but he has big time burst and man can that guy get around the edge in a hurry.

* Alot of back can cut nice in wide open space, but he cuts as sharp as I have ever seen anybody in the tightest places. His inside cuts while in a tight lane are amazing.

* He finishes his runs. Meaning, on almost every single run he's falling forward.

* He is definitely alot more physical then I had thought. I know he's 217 and that's no small back but for being such a shifty fast cutting back, I was expecting a guy that maybe went down a little easier, didn't want to lay wood on somebody, etc.. The dude brings it.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
After watching both Moreno clips, you can really see just what a motor that guy has. I mean, he's bouncing up off the turf after nearly every running play, almost as if he wants to sprint back to the huddle and get on to the next one. I love that.

Also, some other things I noticed.

* Maybe he doesn't have top end straight line speed, but he has big time burst and man can that guy get around the edge in a hurry.

* Alot of back can cut nice in wide open space, but he cuts as sharp as I have ever seen anybody in the tightest places. His inside cuts while in a tight lane are amazing.

* He finishes his runs. Meaning, on almost every single run he's falling forward.

* He is definitely alot more physical then I had thought. I know he's 217 and that's no small back but for being such a shifty fast cutting back, I was expecting a guy that maybe went down a little easier, didn't want to lay wood on somebody, etc.. The dude brings it.
I'd like to see Moreno get up to 220. Even though he's not super big framed he could easily pack on 5 more pounds with an NFL lifting program.

IMO 220-225 the perfect size for a RB. Have Hillis blocking for him and we could have a really physical backfield.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Someone on Youtube had a little fun dispelling that notion at a couple of commentators' expense...

You nailed it, though. Who gives a **** if his 40 doesn't time well. Look at this guy. He's got an extra gear when he needs it. 90% of what a great RB does has more to do with change of direction and burst/initial acceleration than it does flat-line speed.

In fact, I wonder how many of the game's all-time great RBs had top-notch 40 times? Just guessing, but I'd bet a small percentage.

out of all the all time greats at the RB position, the only one that comes to mind that had really great speed was Barry Sanders.

most of the best, were a combination of vision, strength, and burst through the hole. very rarely is a RB ever in a situation where they have to demonstrate straight line speed. they need lateral quickness, ability to break outside quick if holes are closed. i come back to the TD comparison with a guy like Moreno. TD ran something like a 4.6 in the 40, but his initial burst through the line, his vision, lateral quickness and power were what made him special. guys with great speed are always available, but the majority of them become guys like Tatum Bell or Reggie Bush.

they relied on speed in college and were successful, but when they got to the pros where everyone is fast, and their speed wasn't as special anymore, and with their skills in other areas of their game were weak, they tend to fail.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
out of all the all time greats at the RB position, the only one that comes to mind that had really great speed was Barry Sanders.

most of the best, were a combination of vision, strength, and burst through the hole. very rarely is a RB ever in a situation where they have to demonstrate straight line speed. they need lateral quickness, ability to break outside quick if holes are closed. i come back to the TD comparison with a guy like Moreno. TD ran something like a 4.6 in the 40, but his initial burst through the line, his vision, lateral quickness and power were what made him special. guys with great speed are always available, but the majority of them become guys like Tatum Bell or Reggie Bush.

they relied on speed in college and were successful, but when they got to the pros where everyone is fast, and their speed wasn't as special anymore, and with their skills in other areas of their game were weak, they tend to fail.
Not to mention that 40 times are done in shorts and running shoes. Put on pads and cleats, get on a grass field, and who is fastest changes almost every time.

Randy Moss is super fast, but it's his ability to run full speed while still tracking the ball that makes him special.

It's great to be fast but if you react .50 seconds slower then another player it won't matter if you are a 10th of a second faster then them in the 40.

For WR it's all about getting off the LOS and having crisp routes. For RBS you have to be able to change direction quickly and get up to full speed quickly. For CBS I look for how fast they can get out of the backpeddle and run with a WR. It's all about turning the hips for the CBS. Speed is great but without football instincts it won't matter.

Smith with his 4.5 speed may not be able to be a champ bailey. He may not ever be super special but that doesn't mean he can't be worth a first a round pick. People should go back and see all the scrubs that get selected in the first round. This kid is a good football player and I think will do well in the NFL.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 AM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I don't recall these backs having blazing fast 40 times but each has had at least one or 2 amazing rushing season, proving you don't need to be a burner to rack up yards.

Terrell Davis - 2008
Jammal Lewis - 2066
Earl Campbell - 1934
Shaun Alexander - 1880
Jim Brown - 1863
Tiki Barber - 1860
Ricky Williams - 1853
Walter Payton - 1852
Jamal Anderson - 1846
Larry Johnson - 1789
Emmitt Smith - 1773
Edgerrin James - 1709

I could keep going on and on. Priest Holmes, Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Corry Dillon, Barry Foster, Duece McCallister, Gerald Riggs, Marcus Allen, and more have all had over 1600 yard seasons and were not known as real burners. In fact, of like the top 25 NFL best rushing single seasons, only a handful of guys were known as super fast (Sanders, Peterson, Dickerson, LT, Dorsett).

Point Proven.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #16
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Moreno falls forward on EVERY RUN. I love it, that shows 110% effort every time.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #17
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

He is a match up nightmare, especially if we line up in 3 or 4 WR sets. Can not wait to see him on the field.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #18
Dukes
Ring of Famer

I love his cut-back on the second vid right at 3:00 in.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #19
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:

My favorite run was at the 5:00 mark of the first video. He showed incredible balance, but what makes that play awesome was the crowd's reaction... It sounded like an And 1 mixtape play.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #20
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I know I am being an ultimate homer with this statement and will probably catch some ****, but the way Moreno is built and how he moves totally reminds me of LT

if we even get a percentage of that comparison to be true, stand the **** by
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #21
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
90% of what a great RB does has more to do with change of direction and burst/initial acceleration than it does flat-line speed.
Exactly Moreno isn't a burner, but he has excellent acceleration coming out of his cuts or when he hits the hole.

He was 15th out of all the RB's at the combine in the 40, but was 2nd out of all RB's in the 3 cone drill.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #22
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
I love how Smith jumps routes, he reads the QBs eyes, and is a physical corner. he tackles, aids in the stopping the run and has great hands. i really like the pick.

Why is everyone calling Moreno slow? he may not have a blazing 40, but he has major game speed. i am not saying Moreno is like TD, or will be the new TD, but he has great vision, quick through the hole, finds the cutback, delivers a blow to would be tacklers, falls forward. he looks explosive and powerful. i guarantee without Moreno, no chance in hell would Stafford have been number 1 in this draft.

on the TD point i was bringing up, he didn't have track star speed in the 40 or anything, but he had major game speed.
many great backs didn't have great "track speed". As you point out "game speed" is all that matters...

Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Earl Campbell, Thurman Thomas, Terrell Davis, John Riggins, Priest Holmes, Shaun Alexander, Larry Csonka, Edgerrin James, Eddie George, Jerome Bettis, Franco Harris, and Barry Sanders all come to mind...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #23
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Moreno falls forward on EVERY RUN. I love it, that shows 110% effort every time.
That's what I noticed as well. He has great leg drive and run through tacklers, plus he can be very elusive in the open field.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 AM   #24
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbmasterflash View Post
I know I am being an ultimate homer with this statement and will probably catch some ****, but the way Moreno is built and how he moves totally reminds me of LT

if we even get a percentage of that comparison to be true, stand the **** by
you're not a homer at all on that...

he is most compared to LT by experts...he's not as fast, but has a similar set of skills & measurables...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #25
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I don't recall these backs having blazing fast 40 times but each has had at least one or 2 amazing rushing season, proving you don't need to be a burner to rack up yards.

Terrell Davis - 2008 *4.6
Jammal Lewis - 2066 *sub4.4
Earl Campbell - 1934*noidea
Shaun Alexander - 1880 *4.4
Jim Brown - 1863 *noidea
Tiki Barber - 1860*4.55
Ricky Williams - 1853*4.4
Walter Payton - 1852*noidea
Jamal Anderson - 1846*4.6
Larry Johnson - 1789*4.3
Emmitt Smith - 1773*4.5
Edgerrin James - 1709*4.4

I could keep going on and on. Priest Holmes, Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Corry Dillon, Barry Foster, Duece McCallister, Gerald Riggs, Marcus Allen, and more have all had over 1600 yard seasons and were not known as real burners. In fact, of like the top 25 NFL best rushing single seasons, only a handful of guys were known as super fast (Sanders, Peterson, Dickerson, LT, Dorsett).

Point Proven.
See*

Having
computer
prolems

no
space
ar
no
tiki
_ar_er
key.