The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default 2009 NFL Power Rankings: Post-Draft

32. Cleveland Browns (4-12) - Previously: 31
Would you rather have a coach who mismanages games and then eats as many Oreos as possible after each contest, or a coach who trades away top-five picks like they don't mean anything and acquires as much junk from other teams as possible?

Unfortunately for Browns fans, they didn't really have a choice; they've had the misfortune of enduring both. It's going to be a long season in Cleveland.

31. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14) - Previously: 30
Let's take a look at what I wrote last time:

The Chiefs began the offseason by switching to the 3-4, even though Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Hali, two of the few promising players on the defense, don't fit into the new scheme. A few weeks ago, Kansas City traded for a shotgun-spread system quarterback even though it had one already. And recently, the Chiefs held a press conference to announce that they had signed Bobby Engram. Yeah, this offseason is going great so far.

Oh, man... Pioli eschewed the top defensive player in the draft for a guy ranked 9-12 on most boards. Pioli also ignored the pass rush and offensive line. It's apparent now more than ever that Pioli had nothing to do with New England's success all of these years. It should also come as no surprise that Bill Belichick drafted well despite not having Pioli around.

30. Detroit Lions (0-16) - Previously: 29
As I wrote in my 2009 NFL Draft Grades section, I'm really disappointed in the Lions. I was ready to adopt them as a possible sleeper team in 2009. Unfortunately, they failed to address the offensive and defensive lines in the draft. Thus, they'll have to spend their 2010 first-round selection on a left tackle, blowing an opportunity to garner a top-notch defensive player.

29. St. Louis Rams (2-14) - Previously: 32
If the recession wasn't bad enough, the Rams' new, smarter front office all but ensures the demise of St. Louis mini-golf courses. It was fun while it lasted.

I love what the Rams did in the 2009 NFL Draft, and I gave them an A+. That doesn't mean that all of their players will pan out; it simply means that the team didn't reach, filled needs and drafted high positional-value prospects.

This is a 2-year rebuilding project, but I'm very confident the Rams will be competing for a playoff spot in 2010.

28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7) - Previously: 28
Aside from giving Michael Clayton $25 million this offseason (lesson learned: don't drink and sign players), this new Buccaneers regime appears to know what it's doing. Like the Rams, however, they're still at least a year away from playoff contention.

27. Oakland Raiders (5-11) - Previously: 26
Poor Tom Cable looked like he wanted to debacle himself during an interview with ESPN. Of course, he continued to lie about the selections, claiming that Al Davis drafted nothing but great players. Failing to do so would surely result in his immediate firing.

26. Denver Broncos (8-8) - Previously: 27
Has a head coach ever been fired before playing his first game? In a few months, Josh McDaniels has:

- Alienated the fans

- Signed old and crappy free agents

- Nearly traded one of the top young quarterbacks in the NFL for a spread-shotgun system quarterback.

- Actually traded one of the top young quarterbacks in the NFL for Kyle Orton, Robert Ayers, Alphonso Smith and Dick Quinn (sounds a lot like the Charles Barkley for Jeff Hornacek, Tim Perry and Andrew Lang deal that set the 76ers back five years, doesn't it?)

- Had one of the worst 2009 drafts of all the teams in the NFL (he refused to upgrade his defensive line; selected a player who doesn't fit into his scheme; traded up for a blocking tight end)

- Dealt away a 2010 first-round pick for a nickel corner

Doesn't this remind you of Season 2 of Friday Night Lights? I wouldn't be surprised at all if owner Pat Bowlen is having secret meetings with Mike Shanahan at a random diner, begging the old coach to come back.

25. Buffalo Bills (7-9) - Previously: 20
I could be wrong, but I doubt Trent Edwards will get any sort of blind-side protection in 2009. I'm also going to assume that the Bills won't get much pressure on the quarterback this upcoming season, seeing as how rookie defensive ends seldom offer an instant impact.

24. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11) - Previously: 25
I feel as though the Jaguars would be blowing an opportunity if they don't try to mess with Al Davis. Jacksonville drafted a tight end named Zach Miller at No. 180. The Raiders have a much more talented Zach Miller. One night, when Al Davis is busy sacrificing a virgin, Gene Smith should offer Undead Al: "Zach Miller and a sixth-round pick for Zach Miller and a seventh-round pick." I'm convinced it would work. Davis, busy planning the festivities, would assume that the two Millers were misprints, so he'd accept the deal in a heartbeat.

23. San Francisco 49ers (7-9) - Previously: 24
Michael Crabtree and Darrius Heyward-Bey will be compared and contrasted for the next 10 or so years, and it's a heck of a coincidence that the 49er and Raider fans hate each other.

If I'm a die-hard San Francisco fan, I'd try my hardest to find a carrier pigeon, write some fake scouting reports about "amazing" players who run 3.9 40s, and send them to Al Davis. This way, the 49ers could land a Crabtree-type steal every April, while Oakland wastes yet another pick on the best 40 available.

22. Dallas Cowboys (9-7) - Previously: 18
Don't drink and draft. You will get caught. And you will make stupid picks.

21. New York Jets (9-7) - Previously: 19
Mark Sanchez didn't have much starting experience at USC and he currently lacks a No. 1 receiver, so unlike Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, he could struggle as a rookie. But his future is bright. The offensive line is solid; the running back corps is stable; and the defense is very promising. Besides, has a bilingual quarterback failed in the NFL? Sanchez impressed us all by speaking a different language during an interview with ESPN. I'm pretty sure he was speaking Russian.

20. Green Bay Packers (6-10) - Previously: 16
Seven of Green Bay's 10 losses were by four points or less in 2008. That should bode well for 2008, except that both Chicago and Minnesota have improved. The Packers also have to transition into a new defensive scheme, which takes time.

19. Washington Redskins (8-8) - Previously: 22
I'll admit that I have the Redskins ranked too low. The defensive line will be scary, as Albert Haynesworth will allow Andre Carter and Brian Orakpo to see a lot of one-on-one matchups. However, I just don't trust Jim Zorn and Jason Campbell. They were so inconsistent last year, beating the Cowboys and Eagles on the road, and then losing to the Rams. Washington definitely could make the playoffs, but another 8-8 season wouldn't shock me either.

18. Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1) - Previously: 21
I actually like the Bengals as a sleeper team for the 2009 NFL season. Their defense ranked 12th in the NFL last year, and they were able to finish the year on a 4-3-1 run with Ryan Fitzpatrick under center. With Carson Palmer looking pretty healthy in the team's spring mini-camps, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see this squad in the Doggone Playoff.

17. Miami Dolphins (11-5) - Previously: 13
I stand by what I said in my last Miami write-up: The Dolphins have a solid squad, but I feel as though their ceiling will always be a first- or a second-round exit until they transition to Chad Henne. No defender is scared of Chad Pennington's girly arm. Just ask Ed Reed.

16. Minnesota Vikings (10-6) - Previously: 12
Tarvaris Jackson? Sage Rosenfels? As an e-mailer suggested, why not combine the two to make an ultimate quarterback named Sagevaris Jacksonfels? Not only would this quarterback make the wrong reads in Quarters 1-3, he would choke away a big lead in the fourth quarter.

15. New Orleans Saints (8-8) - Previously: 14
I'd like to thank the Saints for providing us with some sanity this weekend. While some teams were taking players who didn't fit their system; a few GMs were passing on much-needed left tackles; and some owners were picking a second-round wideout No. 7 overall because of his 40 time, New Orleans made the logical move - it took the best player available who fit a need. Crazy concept, huh?

14. Arizona Cardinals (9-7) - Previously: 17
The Cardinals caught fire and made an incredible run to the Super Bowl. They're returning most of their players, and they just had an incredible draft. The problem is, Super Bowl losers have performed very poorly the following year for whatever reason. There's no reason to believe Arizona won't suffer a similar fate.

13. Seattle Seahawks (4-12) - Previously: 23
The Seahawks remind me of the 1996-97 San Antonio Spurs. That team was horrible because it had so many injuries. They finished with a terrible record, so they were able to obtain Tim Duncan in the NBA Draft, pairing him with David Robinson. The Seahawks also had massive injuries, and thanks to Scott Pioli's ineptness, they acquired the top defensive player in the 2009 NFL Draft. Seattle is a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Oh, and they're probably going to be drafting in the top 10 next year as well, thanks to Josh McDaniels' foolish tactics.

12. Carolina Panthers (12-4) - Previously: 9
The Panthers just gave Jake Delhomme a 5-year, $42.5 million extension. Crazy, right? Well, think about it. The Panthers lost in the Doggone Playoff because Delhomme's son was kidnapped, so he had to throw the game. With this new money, Delhomme can actually offer the kidnappers cash instead of the promise of a fixed game.

11. Houston Texans (8-8) - Previously: 10
In my 2008 Houston Texans season preview, I stated that the team would make the playoffs in 2009 for the first time in franchise history. I stand by that prediction. Houston just had a solid draft after a couple of nice free-agent signings (Cato June, Antonio Smith). The team doesn't have very many needs and the roster is full of impact players, like Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans. My only concern is whether or not Schaub can stay healthy; he has missed 10 games in the past two seasons.

10. Tennessee Titans (13-3) - Previously: 8
There could be a dropoff here. Albert Haynesworth is gone and Kerry Collins is now 36. The Colts will still be around and the Texans will be much more competitive. Plus, only five of Tennessee's regular season games in 2008 were against playoff teams. This year, five of the Titans' first six games are against the Steelers, Colts, Patriots, Texans and Jets.

9. Atlanta Falcons (11-5) - Previously: 15
Two years ago, the Falcons were debacled by the Michael Vick situation, and Bobby Petrino's horrific coaching and unceremonious exodus. Thomas Dimitroff and Mike Smith deserve major credit for transforming the Falcons into Super Bowl contenders in such a short period of time.

And yes, Atlanta is a Super Bowl contender. The team acquired one of the top tight ends in the NFL through a trade, as well as numerous promising defenders in the 2009 NFL Draft. Knowing Dimitroff's track record, it's safe to assume that a few of those rookies will contribute right away.

8. Philadelphia Eagles (9-6-1) - Previously: 11
After pissing off the fans all offseason, the Eagles needed a great, fan-friendly draft. They delivered.

By the way, funny story out of Philly. There's some sort of motivational speaking conference next week that's going to feature all sorts of celebrities, including Donavan McNabb. Note the misspelling. In one of the newspapers, there's a coupon to get into this conference to see "Danavan, Charlie Manuel (whom no one can understand) and other motivational speakers for just $4.95!" Regular price? $225! Could you imagine the look on someone's face after they pay $225 and then see someone getting a nickel back after handing the doorman $5? Misprint, much?

7. Chicago Bears (9-7) - Previously: 7
With the additions of Cutler, Orlando Pace, Kevin Shaffer and a number of promising rookies, the Bears could be the favorite in the NFC, save for the Giants. Think about it this way - they nearly made the playoffs last year with Kyle Orton, who missed some action and played hurt in handful of games.

6. Baltimore Ravens (11-5) - Previously: 6
I still find it unbelievable that the Ravens were able to obtain Michael Oher at No. 23. How do you land a premier offensive tackle late in the first round? That shouldn't happen. To hear more draft ranting, go to my 2009 NFL Draft Recap: Ten Things I Learned

5. Indianapolis Colts (12-4) - Previously: 5
Another April, another great draft for Bill Polian, one of the sharpest minds in the NFL. He's the reason the Colts have been Super Bowl contenders every year since 2002. Donald Brown should rejuvenate a dead running game, while Fili Moala and Terrance Taylor provide some much-needed help at defensive tackle.

4. San Diego Chargers (8-8) - Previously: 4
Picking Larry English in the first round concerns me a bit. Not that it was a bad selection or anything; in fact, I gave it a B in my 2009 NFL Draft Grades section. However, the fact that A.J. Smith felt the need to take English tells me he's not confident that Shawne Merriman can bounce back. Perhaps he's just being cautious, but I'd be worried if I were a Chargers fan.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4) - Previously: 3
The Steelers didn't do anything in free agency, but they had a very solid draft. Evanader Hood will take over for Aaron Smith down the line, while Kraig Urbik and Keenan Lewis will compete for starting jobs right away. Still, despite the fact that Pittsburgh just claimed the Lombardi Trophy, New England has to be the favorite to win it all next February.

2. New York Giants (12-4) - Previously: 2
Some NFL general managers have sat on their hands this offseason. Some have tried to downgrade their quarterback position. And a few have managed to alienate the fan base. Meanwhile, Jerry Reese added Chris Canty, Michael Boley and Rocky Bernard. In the draft, Reese landed a mid-first round offensive tackle at the bottom of Round 2. And don't forget about the two receivers, Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden. Eli Manning apparently threatened to don his Wal-Mart smock again if Reese didn't find him a couple of large wideouts in the NFL Draft.

1. New England Patriots (11-5) - Previously: 1
I love how the Patriots have turned into the New York Yankees. Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs, Fred Taylor, Chris Baker, Julius Peppers, the best corner in the 2009 NFL Draft (Darius Butler), two additional 2010 second-round picks... let's get 'em all! If Tom Brady is truly healthy, I don't see how this team doesn't at least qualify for the Super Bowl.

http://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I thought lots of critics hated our draft last year as well...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I still dont understand why he "alienated the fans" when polls have showed most of the fans took his side
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

another website added to my ignore list...
Gcver2ver3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

as a huge 76ers fan, I hope that his comparison is way off base, but I don't think that it is...........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Like I've said in previous threads where Walter Chrepinsky's takes have been posted;This dude loathes the Broncos. Every time he mentions the team he goes into some kind of spitting frenzy. Some Bronco fan must have poked his GF or something.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

So an 8-8 team in one of the leagues worst divisions with a myriad of problems including the aging of several key players is the #4 on his list eh?

Yeah....I hope he has some other criteria for his list. If this is a straight up power ranking kinda ****ty.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Like I've said in previous threads where Walter Chrepinsky's takes have been posted;This dude loathes the Broncos. Every time he mentions the team he goes into some kind of spitting frenzy. Some Bronco fan must have poked his GF or something.
its rather obvious when reading his take on Broncos...

it almost sounds personal when reading his take on the Broncos...it's ridiculous and unprofessional...

EDIT: after reading his posts on other teams, i can see he's just straight unprofessional...he sounds like a 16 year old Raider fan that thinks he's witty...
Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
its rather obvious when reading his take on Broncos...

it almost sounds personal when reading his take on the Broncos...it's ridiculous and unprofessional...

EDIT: after reading his posts on other teams, i can see he's just straight unprofessional...he sounds like a 16 year old Raider fan that thinks he's witty...
He's an Iggles fan. What can you expect?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I don't put any value in Power Rankings to begin with and surely don't give a poo about some no-name giving his 2 cents.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
He's an Iggles fan. What can you expect?
even better...
Old 04-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

the only power ranking that matters is the one after the big dance, #1
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #13
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

1. New England Patriots (11-5) - Previously: 1
I love how the Patriots have turned into the New York Yankees. Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs, Fred Taylor, Chris Baker, Julius Peppers, the best corner in the 2009 NFL Draft (Darius Butler), two additional 2010 second-round picks... let's get 'em all! If Tom Brady is truly healthy, I don't see how this team doesn't at least qualify for the Super Bowl.

Hey, this guy sure knows what he's talking about!!
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
RADRHATR
Pro Bowler

So this idiot has one AFC West team in the top 25 I guess the Chargers are going to win all of the games against the AFC West? When was the last time that happened?
RADRHATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
26. Denver Broncos (8-8) - Previously: 27
Has a head coach ever been fired before playing his first game? In a few months, Josh McDaniels has:

- Alienated the fans

- Signed old and crappy free agents

- Nearly traded one of the top young quarterbacks in the NFL for a spread-shotgun system quarterback.

- Actually traded one of the top young quarterbacks in the NFL for Kyle Orton, Robert Ayers, Alphonso Smith and Dick Quinn (sounds a lot like the Charles Barkley for Jeff Hornacek, Tim Perry and Andrew Lang deal that set the 76ers back five years, doesn't it?)

- Had one of the worst 2009 drafts of all the teams in the NFL (he refused to upgrade his defensive line; selected a player who doesn't fit into his scheme; traded up for a blocking tight end)

- Dealt away a 2010 first-round pick for a nickel corner

Doesn't this remind you of Season 2 of Friday Night Lights? I wouldn't be surprised at all if owner Pat Bowlen is having secret meetings with Mike Shanahan at a random diner, begging the old coach to come back.

http://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

I didn't realize that Walter Football knows what Josh McDaniels' defensive scheme is, especially since he hasn't coached his first game yet. I think that's incredible really, such clairvoyance.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #16
Popps
It's so easy

What is this site, and why do people read it?

Honestly, it reads like a high school gossip blog or something.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I wasn't aware that the Pats got Julius Peppers.

****ing idiot.
Inkana7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

This dude hit the nail on the head. I don't know which is sadder...the destruction McDoughbag is doing to this franchise, or the fervour in which people on this board are embracing it with...
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
yerner
Ring of Famer

well, i'd like to throw a bag of ripe feces on mcdaniels, but i still don't agree that situation is as bad as this guy claims.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
This dude hit the nail on the head. I don't know which is sadder...the destruction McDoughbag is doing to this franchise, or the fervour in which people on this board are embracing it with...
you mean the majority of fans who dont like it when players request trades from the team because their feelings are hurt? or coaches that actually look to improve all parts of a team, not just offense? yea, we hate that.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #21
joe9999
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I still dont understand why he "alienated the fans" when polls have showed most of the fans took his side
Those are Orangemane polls. They don't reflect the real world.
joe9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #22
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9999 View Post
Those are Orangemane polls. They don't reflect the real world.
The real world is actually more pro-McDaniels than the OM.
Inkana7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #23
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Another one added to my list, its growing fast. I hope these guys can at least stop spewing their hate on the broncos coach and see if his methods are going to work before they start the vitriole.

This message is hidden because Jesterhole is on your ignore list.
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
The real world is actually more pro-McDaniels than the OM.
Please show us your source.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Wow, this guy has quite a rant about the Broncos. All the other teams he spends a paragraph on, but when it comes to the Broncos, he feels a need to break down just how much the suck to a whole new level. And yet, they are only ranked 26th? Why not drop them to #32 if they are so bad?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote