The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default False Logic about next year's draft?

Just asking a logical question here about next year's draft.

Everyone is b****ing about possibly trading out of a high first round draft pick next year because they say next year's draft will be much stronger.

Isn't the benefit of a "strong draft" the fact that you have lots of great players all the way through the first round (and even into the second round), and not just in the top 10?

So what gives? Aren't there quite a few people around here talking about the strength of next year's draft, but then saying we have to have a high pick or we won't get a good player?

Logic please?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

while I am neither for or against the pick I do know this

2>1
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
TheDave
Sauced...

A bunch of highly touted juniors decided to stay in school... Next year "should" be SIGNIFICANTLY more talented in the top 10 as well as deeper through every round.

This draft was much weaker than I thought... Usually we see teams grasping for straws in the 4th or 5th round. This year teams were pulling out the wild cards in the 2nd round.

That and 2010 is projected to be a very good draft for both QB's and Dlinemen... perceived areas of need for us.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I assume the idea is that having two first rounders in a strong draft gives you a much better chance of getting two quality players than you would in a weaker draft.

I'm fine with the Smith trade, but it's hardly difficult to grasp why people would rather the extra first next year.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I was feeling pretty damn good about getting Bradford or Cody next year but now we don't have a fuggin shot at either
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

If there are better players than Alphonso Smith in the first round next year, and there likely will be, and any of those players could help the Broncos more than Alphonso Smith will, and that's to be determined, then it was a bad trade.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
while I am neither for or against the pick I do know this

2>1
With that simple logic then you could say 3 > 2 for this years draft.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Even caring about next yr a joke to me. Anything can happen. Cutler could get injured and Bears go 7-9, we go 6-10 and the pick is exactly a few spots different. Smith could be defensive rookie of the yr by then, or have taken over the starting spot etc.

Hell he could be a fan favorite like Royal by the draft next yr. Anyone thinking ahead already to next yrs draft hasn't been around football very long. Look at who they project right now, then look at it later, and it will look very different.

There simply isn't enough money to sign 4 first round picks over 2 yrs, and still be players in the FA market, and resign Marshall, Kuper etc when time comes.

Broncos seem to me to have a plan and I am on board. I'm sure once the kid makes a play or two all of you will be also.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I was feeling pretty *** good about getting Bradford or Cody next year but now we don't have a fuggin shot at either
That would go completely against the grain of what McDaniels does... It's like Shanahan never drafts first rounds Runningbacks. McDaniels/Belichick's Disciple never drafts first round QB's. You would have got your hopes up to only be let down so be thankful you got that out of the way.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

Everyone is b****ing about possibly trading out of a high first round draft pick next year because they say next year's draft will be much stronger.

Isn't the benefit of a "strong draft" the fact that you have lots of great players all the way through the first round (and even into the second round), and not just in the top 10?

So what gives? Aren't there quite a few people around here talking about the strength of next year's draft, but then saying we have to have a high pick or we won't get a good player?

Logic please?
two things:

One...our traded 1st round pick won't be a top 10 pick....

and B...we will not have interest in any of next year's 1st round QB prospects...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

For my part, I'd have rather saved that pick for a high calibre DT next year, rather than a high calibre CB this year. Seems like we've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that high calibre CBs aren't able to affect the game as much if they're not getting a good push up front to help them out.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
If there are better players than Alphonso Smith in the first round next year, and there likely will be, and any of those players could help the Broncos more than Alphonso Smith will, and that's to be determined, then it was a bad trade.
Well you would have to factor in how the kid plays and we don't know that yet.

If he helps win a few games with interceptions, can be a starter, then its a good pick. Bailey and Goodman both over 30. The team needed corners IMO.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Anyone thinking ahead already to next yrs draft hasn't been around football very long.
I'll bet more than a few people around here who have watched football for decades would disagree with that. Just saying things doesn't make them true.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
There'll almost always be somebody who could do better than what you took though.

Say Moreno becomes one of the best backs in the league, having an LT-esque career, but meanwhile Josh Freeman turns out to be the greatest QB the NFL has ever seen.

Does that make Moreno a bad pick?

It's an overdone example, obviously, but I think if you take the approach you've outlines you'll never be satisfied.

If Alphonso Smith becomes a good starting CB in the NFL, then I'm fine with the trade really.

If not, it's a bad trade.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
For my part, I'd have rather saved that pick for a high calibre DT next year, rather than a high calibre CB this year. Seems like we've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that high calibre CBs aren't able to affect the game as much if they're not getting a good push up front to help them out.
I agree with this wholeheartedly we need kicka** D-Linemen and having 20 DB's isn't going to help that fact
Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
There'll almost always be somebody who could do better than what you took though.

Say Moreno becomes one of the best backs in the league, having an LT-esque career, but meanwhile Josh Freeman turns out to be the greatest QB the NFL has ever seen.
Does that make Moreno a bad pick?

It's an overdone example, obviously, but I think if you take the approach you've outlines you'll never be satisfied.

If Alphonso Smith becomes a good starting CB in the NFL, then I'm fine with the trade really.

If not, it's a bad trade.
DUDE
Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
That would go completely against the grain of what McDaniels does... It's like Shanahan never drafts first rounds Runningbacks. McDaniels/Belichick's Disciple never drafts first round QB's. You would have got your hopes up to only be let down so be thankful you got that out of the way.
50% of them do. Mangini only drafted a 2nd round QB, Crennel drafted 1st round.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

One thing that we keep ignoring anyways is that Chicago's pick next year is almost certainly going to be higher then our pick this year, just based on the fact that our pick this year was already lower then Chicago's pick.

That alone is a reason why we should have traded the Chicago pick.

What's more is that the pick was basically as a luxury pick for Smith. I am the first to enjoy breaking the mold with players, but corner is not a easy position to pick up.

The problem I have is that short term thinking can impact the long term future of clubs. McDaniels is basically mortgaging next year to make this year work. And the asset that he picked up is somewhat questionable.

So either it works, and we win immediately, in which case the pick isn't as important, because we don't have as many thing to fix, or we suck, the pick is valuable, and we already traded it away.

There is no middle ground with McDaniels. No hedging his bet. He gets to make the call, but if he is wrong, it will have a huge impact on our franchise.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
50% of them do. Mangini only drafted a 2nd round QB, Crennel drafted 1st round.
Crennel hired the Chargers former offensive coordinator and Mangini hired the Chargers former QB coach to run his offense.

McDaniels has come to Denver from day one and let it be known that he is bringing the Patriot Way with him. I'd say McDaniels has gone a long way to prove that point. Wouldn't you?

Last edited by Popcorn Sutton; 04-29-2009 at 01:05 PM..
Old 04-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #20
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
McDaniels is basically mortgaging next year to make this year work.
We still have our full lot of 7 picks next year.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
Elway777
Ring of Famer

The only way trading next year first work out if the Broncos use that money to get a player like Wilfork.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Its stupid to discuss now because we have no clue where we will be picking, who will be avail, what we need...etc. Lets revisit this in 3 years.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
For my part, I'd have rather saved that pick for a high calibre DT next year, rather than a high calibre CB this year.
I don't disagree, but what's interesting is that, unless I'm mistaken, CB is a higher paid position. So teams put a higher value on CB's for whatever reason.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

Logic please?
What would you rather have if you are a rebuilding franchise, two picks in the first round next year, or 1 pick in the second round this year? On this Broncos board, we are working hard at coming up with reasons to believe we got the better deal. Over on the Seahawks board, they don't have to come up with reasons. They'll have two, first round picks next year. The whole thing hinges on whether or not Big Al turns out to be the real deal. To pretend like there's not a major risk involved here is just silly. On this board, I keep hearing how Alphonso is a first round pick. Well, a bunch of teams in the NFL didn't agree and he dropped into the second round. How far would he have dropped if the Broncos didn't take him at 37?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #25
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
What would you rather have if you are a rebuilding franchise, two picks in the first round next year, or 1 pick in the second round this year? On this Broncos board, we are working hard at coming up with reasons to believe we got the better deal. Over on the Seahawks board, they don't have to come up with reasons. They'll have two, first round picks next year. The whole thing hinges on whether or not Big Al turns out to be the real deal. To pretend like there's not a major risk involved here is just silly. On this board, I keep hearing how Alphonso is a first round pick. Well, a bunch of teams in the NFL didn't agree and he dropped into the second round. How far would he have dropped if the Broncos didn't take him at 37?
You make it sound like we gave up 2 picks next year for this kid. In the end we had 4 picks in the first round over the next 2 years and we basically just took 3 of them this year. Yes, I understand he slid into the early second round but that is probably why they jumped on him.

Mayock had him going to Pittsburgh at 32 so he slid a few spots. Mayocks words were this is an example of the rich getting richer when talking about Alphonso Smith. He was too good to slide much further without any off the field issues. 1st round, 2nd round no matter... he was rated as one of the top cornerbacks in this draft.

Last edited by Popcorn Sutton; 04-29-2009 at 01:24 PM..