The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley
Default Wow, how can you not like Alphonso Smith?

For a little dude he sure does come up to play the run and isn't afraid to tackle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcP-...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqEUd...eature=related

Couple that with his ball hawk skills and i'm pretty excited about him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGC2R...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO3C6...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED9C6...eature=related

I'm a fan.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

We will all find out soon enough, but from what i've seen he may very well be the best CB this draft.

We will compare him to D-Will, but I watched Darrent a lot in college, and this kid looks much, much better.

He can play man, and may already be the best zone corner on the team - including Champ. Watch the dude play in open space, he's instinctive and lightning fast. JMFW has absolutely zero chance to beat this kid out. I understand he is lacking Andre Goodman's experience, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith take the starting job by about game 4-6.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I am totally on the Smith bandwagon. I love the strategy behind the pick, I like the talent he brings, etc. He is a ballhawk and Champ is the only other ballhawk on the team. In colleage, Smith always found a way to be around the ball and he's quick so QBs are gonna be duped into throwing his way...and Smith will be in position to step in front of the pass for a pick. Plus, he is a high-character person, firmly rooted in family & faith.

Feel free to ride me on this if I am wrong, but I have a good feeling about this guy.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Smith arrives at Dove Valley
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #5
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
I am totally on the Smith bandwagon. I love the strategy behind the pick, I like the talent he brings, etc. He is a ballhawk and Champ is the only other ballhawk on the team. In colleage, Smith always found a way to be around the ball and he's quick so QBs are gonna be duped into throwing his way...and Smith will be in position to step in front of the pass for a pick. Plus, he is a high-character person, firmly rooted in family & faith.

Feel free to ride me on this if I am wrong, but I have a good feeling about this guy.
I love the player too--very productive and he came off as very well polished in his press conference. But you like trading a probable top 10 1st round pick for the rights to draft him? Not me.....but I am looking forward to Training camp this year with more vigor than in years past.......
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
longtimer
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
I'm not
All I see is the other team creating a machup of a 5'9" coner on a 6'3" WR in the back of the endzone for a jump ball for TD after TD. Dude might be able to play but he can't out jump his one physical limitations of his god given hieght when competing with other that are alot bigger.
longtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Byrd, Demetrius WR 6-3 200 06/30/1986 R Louisiana State
12 Banks, Gary WR 6-0 193 11/04/1981 0 Troy
84 Davis, Buster WR 6-1 202 10/02/1985 2 Louisiana State
81 Osgood, Kassim WR 6-5 220 05/20/1980 6 San Diego State
83 Jackson, Vincent WR 6-5 230 01/14/1983 4 Northern Colorado
80 Floyd, Malcom WR 6-5 225 09/08/1981 3 Wyoming
89 Chambers, Chris WR 5-11 210 08/12/1978 8 Wisconsin
11 Naanee, Legedu WR 6-2 226 09/16/1983 2 Boise State

I certainly hope we have him covering Chambers. Otherwise, he's giving up at least 3 inches
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Vincent Jackson loves this draft pick.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimer View Post
I'm not
All I see is the other team creating a machup of a 5'9" coner on a 6'3" WR in the back of the endzone for a jump ball for TD after TD. Dude might be able to play but he can't out jump his one physical limitations of his god given hieght when competing with other that are alot bigger.
How many TD's (and catches for that matter) are just "jump balls" lobbed up there by the QB?

A lot of beating someone on a jump ball is about getting them misdirected or out of position more than outright jumping more vertically. You usually win the jump ball when the defender's back is to the play and they are unaware the ball is in the air, or are unable to make up ground on the play.

This kid looks like he can go stride for stride with any of the receivers you have listed. I think your diagnosis of "TD after TD" is just dumb. Why didn't they try that on this kid in college? Probably because he would steal it almost every time - that's why he had over 20 picks...
Old 04-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #10
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Another thing about Smith, I think he gives us the best chance to block FG's that we have had in years. His speed and skills off the edge could be a great thing for our ST unit...
Old 04-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #11
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
I love the player too--very productive and he came off as very well polished in his press conference. But you like trading a probable top 10 1st round pick for the rights to draft him? Not me.....but I am looking forward to Training camp this year with more vigor than in years past.......
I get what you're saying, but here's my thinking...it's a probable top 10 pick. Who knows what this year will bring? We could be 5-11 or 11-5, which the latter would have us picking in the mid-20s. The point is that I like the aggressiveness of the FO and McD. They had this guy ranked as the top CB in the draft and they found a way to get him. Smith may turn out to be a bust because nothing in life is 100%, but a top 10 pick next year could be a complete bust too. The FO is trying to make us great as fast as possible. And if we can have a guy learn under Champ for an extra season, then that can only help this football team.

Also, I am just as excited about camp as you. Sure it's disappointing that Cutler is gone, but what's done is done and all we can do is look forward...and I am really looking forward to seeing what type of team we field in 2009.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
JMFW has absolutely zero chance to beat this kid out.
People have been killed for saying less.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #13
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Smith was more highly rated than Darrent Williams ever was.

Jack Williams lost playing time to Josh Bell, an undrafted free agent who was picked up after being cut from another team.

Strangely, with Bly at 5'10, there didn't seem so many worried of his height covering tall receivers.

There are many 5'9 CB's in the NFL, starting even, so if it's such a big worry around the NFL, someone forgot to tell them.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #14
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Smith was more highly rated than Darrent Williams ever was.

Jack Williams lost playing time to Josh Bell, an undrafted free agent who was picked up after being cut from another team.

Strangely, with Bly at 5'10, there didn't seem so many worried of his height covering tall receivers.

There are many 5'9 CB's in the NFL, starting even, so if it's such a big worry around the NFL, someone forgot to tell them.
McDaniels didn't draft Bly.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #15
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

On the height issue, the 2009 Pro Bowl corners, including guys who didn't play and their injury replacements:

Al Harris 6-1
Charles Woodson 6-1
Antoine Winfield 5-9
Asante Samuel 5-10
Ronde Barber 5-10

Nnamdi Asomugha 6-2
Cortland Finnegan 5-10
Darrelle Revis 5-11

So one pro bowl corner was Smith's height, 3 more were one inch taller. Hmm, maybe it won't be so big of an issue.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #16
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
We will all find out soon enough, but from what i've seen he may very well be the best CB this draft.

We will compare him to D-Will, but I watched Darrent a lot in college, and this kid looks much, much better.

He can play man, and may already be the best zone corner on the team - including Champ. Watch the dude play in open space, he's instinctive and lightning fast. JMFW has absolutely zero chance to beat this kid out. I understand he is lacking Andre Goodman's experience, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith take the starting job by about game 4-6.
did you seriously just say this rookie is better then champ bailey?
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #17
Grover
Rookie

Alphonso needs to learn to run with more passion after all those interceptions. He's letting Wide Receivers arm tackle him!
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #18
longtimer
Pro Bowler

Quote:
How many TD's (and catches for that matter) are just "jump balls" lobbed up there by the QB?

A lot of beating someone on a jump ball is about getting them misdirected or out of position more than outright jumping more vertically. You usually win the jump ball when the defender's back is to the play and they are unaware the ball is in the air, or are unable to make up ground on the play.

This kid looks like he can go stride for stride with any of the receivers you have listed. I think your diagnosis of "TD after TD" is just dumb. Why didn't they try that on this kid in college? Probably because he would steal it almost every time - that's why he had over 20 picks...
Let start with the fade route to the corner where the ball is thrown high and the WR goes up and gets it at the highest piont. If a QB has a mismatch in size with a CB then he puts the ball were it is the most advantage for the ofense.
You win a jump ball by being able to jump higher than the corner back and if the CB is a lot shorter and can not jump as high you do not need any misdirection just strong hands to be able to hold onto the ball WR on his way down from the highest piont were the CB can not reach. The CB only option is to try to stripe the ball from the WR to prevent the WR from having controll of the ball and making a completion.
The reason he had over 20 pick accordiong to Mayock is he gambles and was able to step in front of the passes. The other reason is it was against college competition and the speed of the game is much slower than what is on the NFL level. He did not face NFL caliber QB and WR on ever play.
longtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 AM   #19
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
McDaniels didn't draft Bly.
Good one, and true
Old 04-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #20
chiefforlife
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He reminds me of Brandon Flowers who turned out to be a great rookie for us. Smith looks like a very good player.
chiefforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #21
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

what the **** does like got to do with it ?
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #22
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
On the height issue, the 2009 Pro Bowl corners, including guys who didn't play and their injury replacements:

Al Harris 6-1
Charles Woodson 6-1
Antoine Winfield 5-9
Asante Samuel 5-10
Ronde Barber 5-10

Nnamdi Asomugha 6-2
Cortland Finnegan 5-10
Darrelle Revis 5-11

So one pro bowl corner was Smith's height, 3 more were one inch taller. Hmm, maybe it won't be so big of an issue.
Gee, ya think?

It's the way the forum seems to have gone though, sadly.

There's the pro-McDaniels people and the anti-McDaniels people. And each group will look to either praise or criticise every single move the team makes at any opportunity they can, depending on their own particular agenda.

Luckily there's still some posters out there who have kept some objectivity, but sadly they're a minority at the moment.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #23
Pat Bowlen
President/Chief Executive

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
I love the player too--very productive and he came off as very well polished in his press conference. But you like trading a probable top 10 1st round pick for the rights to draft him? Not me.....
Relax. The player we are going to turn Alphonso into by this time next year would be drafted in the top ten anyway.
Pat Bowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefforlife View Post
He reminds me of Brandon Flowers who turned out to be a great rookie for us. Smith looks like a very good player.
And Flowers is 5'9. Hmm.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #25
chiefforlife
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
And Flowers is 5'9. Hmm.
He plays much bigger and so does Smith. Great pick up for McD.
chiefforlife is offline   Reply With Quote