The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Bob
Ring of Famer

Default Simple question: Why no DT?

Why was no DT picked in the draft? Why was the biggest weakness not addressed in any real way? It seemed like a 14 year-old blogger was in charge of the draft, over-reaching on folks we didnt need, and ignoring most needs we have.

I guess the Broncos picked up a decent FA DT today, a criminal, but a talented one ... but still will someone make the augument here, that this was a draft that dealt with the realities of a really crappy run defence.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Sorry, pet peeve dude. SPELL correctly damnit, anyway it has been hashed out a million time previously. But according to the new Dove Valley regime, they just were not any worth taking, i guess....
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I wanted them to take that "criminal" in the 4th round anyway.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Bob
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Sorry, pet peeve dude. SPELL correctly damnit, anyway it has been hashed out a million time previously. But according to the new Dove Valley regime, they just were not any worth taking, i guess....
Hmmm, sorry --

But the reasons why the ignored needs is that this coach thinks he can win without addressing the biggest need is beyond me.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Why was no DT picked in the draft? Why was the biggest weakness not addressed in any real way? It seemed like a 14 year-old blogger was in charge of the draft, over-reaching on folks we didnt need, and ignoring most needs we have.

I guess the Broncos picked up a decent FA DT today, a criminal, but a talented one ... but still will someone make the augument here, that this was a draft that dealt with the realities of a really crappy run defence.
Why don't you ask the 14 year old blogger in charge of the draft he could probably explain it to you.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Best player available in there opinion wasn't a DT in the upper rounds. After that they probably felt there was no value.

They got a couple big dlineman as FA as they are as about as likely to play well as any pick after the 4th round.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

The DTs were just kinda ****ty this year, none representing good value at our picks. Drafting for need just leads to reaches (Tyson Jackson) and leaves you a worse team in the long run. I wanted DTs too, but the more I look at it, the less I see one actually worth taking.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Was there a DT available that would start or contribute this year?

Apparently, Nolan didn't think so......that works for me.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Best player available in there opinion wasn't a DT in the upper rounds. After that they probably felt there was no value.

They got a couple big dlineman as FA as they are as about as likely to play well as any pick after the 4th round.
A little comon sense goes a long way..to bad comon sense isnt so comon these days!! Good post!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Let's say Broncos picked Chris Baker in the 5th round. Mel Kiper would say well this kid has potential and should have went higher, but he has character concerns. Would that make you more happy. Is it where the player is selected at that makes you feel warm and cozy?

If Broncos had Raji would you be happy? Even though he didn't play NT and always had another big DT next to him in college? He has 4-3 DT written all over him IMO.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Chiefs so have a lot of talent on the front 4 now. Dorsey, Jackson etc. Not sure they are 3-4 material but the makings of a really good 4-3 if you ask me.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

We could've gotten Ron Brace for next years one..but I would've rather had Alphonso honesetly.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic

But not nauseatingly optimistic

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

As many have said, it wasn't on the board past Raji. Nolan thought the rest of the draftees were not better than what he had. Now we have to see how it plays out. Nolan isn't scared to go into the season with what he has. Seems like some of us are.
GeniusatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #14
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
We could've gotten Ron Brace for next years one..but I would've rather had Alphonso honesetly.
Exactly. "Gentle giant"? No thanks.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I think Nolan liked what he had. I'm still surprised he didn't try for DL/OLB in round two. He wanted the ballhawks Smith and McBath. Nolan had his chance, then McD got his guy the steamroller.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Chiefs so have a lot of talent on the front 4 now. Dorsey, Jackson etc. Not sure they are 3-4 material but the makings of a really good 4-3 if you ask me.
You have to win the AFC West first.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

The scouting department pulled a prank on Lil Mac and shuffled all the draft profiles on him. He actually thought Alphonso Smith was a DT.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #18
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

The biggest weakness of the team was addressed, nicely.

Safety.

DT is a weakness but it wasnt our biggest weakness. iN Fact, Id put LB AND Safety and CB outside of Champ as bigger weaknesses.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
Bob
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Let's say Broncos picked Chris Baker in the 5th round. Mel Kiper would say well this kid has potential and should have went higher, but he has character concerns. Would that make you more happy. Is it where the player is selected at that makes you feel warm and cozy?

If Broncos had Raji would you be happy? Even though he didn't play NT and always had another big DT next to him in college? He has 4-3 DT written all over him IMO.

Short answer -- yes. If we gave up next years 1st for a 37th pick, would we have been wise to move up from 12 to 8, for the same or less cost?

Again, I am looking for other's take on this, and have read some articles, and have heard McDaniel's reasoning, and it seems weird to me, that instead of picking up a decent CB, he would not have gone after Ray M, from USC, (a great run stopper) or why would we trade our thirds away, for a TE, who from all accounts would have been there in the third, and we could have picked up the DT, the Colts nabbed in the fourth.

Last year, I was disapointed in no DT in the first few picks, but never felt like we reached for who we got. Obviously we had a good draft last year, hope we have another.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
The biggest weakness of the team was addressed, nicely.

Safety.

DT is a weakness but it wasnt our biggest weakness. iN Fact, Id put LB AND Safety and CB outside of Champ as bigger weaknesses.
There was some problems there.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #21
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

DTs are messy and poop on the carpet and with the new carpet at dove vally a new DT was out of question.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #22
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
[/B]

Short answer -- yes. If we gave up next years 1st for a 37th pick, would we have been wise to move up from 12 to 8, for the same or less cost?

Again, I am looking for other's take on this, and have read some articles, and have heard McDaniel's reasoning, and it seems weird to me, that instead of picking up a decent CB, he would not have gone after Ray M, from USC, (a great run stopper) or why would we trade our thirds away, for a TE, who from all accounts would have been there in the third, and we could have picked up the DT, the Colts nabbed in the fourth.

Last year, I was disapointed in no DT in the first few picks, but never felt like we reached for who we got. Obviously we had a good draft last year, hope we have another.
Problem is, Ray M is not a great run stopper. I'm a USC fan out here in SoCal, and I'm well aware of what a liability he can be... overrunning plays, out of position quite a lot, etc. That, and he's got serious maturity issues (fights on campus; his little dance with Erin Andrews, etc.). No thanks.
OCBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #23
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

cause the guys are first time HC and GM's and their learning on the job at denvers expense ..... if mcDic&fu^k wanted a NT he should have taken the one his master took ..... but nooooooooo lets just buck the trend and take a RB to go with the other 12 on the roster (4 free agents signed by him for a "commitee back system" even though the guy he picked is a full time fu$kin back.)

Let me ask this if their were no picks worth it for NT then why didn't McImthe$hit go after one in FA
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #24
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBronco View Post
Problem is, Ray M is not a great run stopper. I'm a USC fan out here in SoCal, and I'm well aware of what a liability he can be... overrunning plays, out of position quite a lot, etc. That, and he's got serious maturity issues (fights on campus; his little dance with Erin Andrews, etc.). No thanks.
No .... the problem is we have plenty of DE converted to LB ...... we straight failed when it came to addressing the problem of addressing run stoping .....fat.... DL men.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #25
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Big Mac's are yummy
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote