The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,046

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default Of all The Rocky Sports Writers Why Frei?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12241373

Dude is literally dumber than a box of Hair. His Glass is always Half Full Of poop. He is Lex.


We Drafted 10 players. Our Board had ~100. And the broncos are making a mistake by not have more? C'mon use your brain please. Not every player fits everywhere.

I will give up Frei and a Box Of Jelly Filled. For pretty much anyone else.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

I agree with Frei. Having a board of only 100 players is ridiculous. What worries me is that the Broncos may have had a choice between a safety or CB or TE and a DT or DE but took the other player simply because the DT/DE wasn't on their "list", so they knew nothing about him. That's
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,020

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
He is Lex.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,046

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I agree with Frei. Having a board of only 100 players is ridiculous. What worries me is that the Broncos may have had a choice between a safety or CB or TE and a DT or DE but took the other player simply because the DT/DE wasn't on their "list", so they knew nothing about him. That's
So in your Opinion Over 100 Players out of each draft will be NFL quality Starters?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
So in your Opinion Over 100 Players out of each draft will be NFL quality Starters?
Huh?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Lolad
Ring of Famer
 
Fan

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,762

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
So in your Opinion Over 100 Players out of each draft will be NFL quality Starters?
The point is that they didnt evaluate enough players. They reached because there players were going off the board and they only evaluated 100. and 10 of 30 came in for a private workout. So that to me narrows their focus even more.

In next years draft teams will now know who the broncos will pick. Just look who they had come in for a private workout.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,046

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Huh?
Pretty Easy Concept. Most Players Drafted never become NFL Starters or Contributors. In Fact I am guessing less than a hundred per draft become contributors. Why have a draft board full of people you don't think will be players?

Just because they are not on your board does not mean you did not evaluate them. They evaluated everyone and then kicked out those players they didn't think would fit the team.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

If Xanders and Mac came out and said - We didnt' pick Magee or Brace or Dorrell because we looked hard at them as players, did a complete analysis, watched all the film, and decided that the BPAs on our board were Smith, McBath and Quinn, etc. - I would be fine with that. If what they are saying is we didn't take a DT or DE because we didn't even look at them and knew nothing about them, that's friggin negligence.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,046

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
The point is that they didnt evaluate enough players. They reached because there players were going off the board and they only evaluated 100. and 10 of 30 came in for a private workout. So that to me narrows their focus even more.

In next years draft teams will now know who the broncos will pick. Just look who they had come in for a private workout.
They were evaluated by the scouts. And found to be poor fits.

The best way to bluff is to never get caught bluffing. Nothing says he has to play the same hand the same way next year.

My point is totally different. If your scouting staff is so inept so as to not be able to narrow your board down to 20 or so players throughout the draft that you want. Then it is best to get new ones. You don't pick guys because they Make you sound good when Mel Kiper and Mayock speak you pick them because they will help you win football games. Only a few players in every draft will do that for every team.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,046

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
If Xanders and Mac came out and said - We didnt' pick Magee or Brace or Dorrell because we looked hard at them as players, did a complete analysis, watched all the film, and decided that the BPAs on our board were Smith, McBath and Quinn, etc. - I would be fine with that. If what they are saying is we didn't take a DT or DE because we didn't even look at them and knew nothing about them, that's friggin negligence.
They did not say it exactly like that but they did say. There were only 5-6 3/4 Guys they thought could play.

Jackson, Raji Gone Before 12
Brace-Gone before 48 but was definitely rated below smith.
Magee, Dorrell - I am guessing Rated below McBath and Quinn or else we would have picked them.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

This is what Frei wrote:

Make no mistake, the list was not the Broncos' prioritization of the top 100 players available. It was a board of the players the Broncos wanted, taking into account the need to have some sort of balance of who would be available in the early, middle and late rounds.

I have to agree with Frei; If that's the approach you're going to take, you better be right.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #12
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,046

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
This is what Frei wrote:

Make no mistake, the list was not the Broncos' prioritization of the top 100 players available. It was a board of the players the Broncos wanted, taking into account the need to have some sort of balance of who would be available in the early, middle and late rounds.

I have to agree with Frei; If that's the approach you're going to take, you better be right.
Actually any approach you take you better be right.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer
 
outdoor_miner's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,139

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
If Xanders and Mac came out and said - We didnt' pick Magee or Brace or Dorrell because we looked hard at them as players, did a complete analysis, watched all the film, and decided that the BPAs on our board were Smith, McBath and Quinn, etc. - I would be fine with that. If what they are saying is we didn't take a DT or DE because we didn't even look at them and knew nothing about them, that's friggin negligence.
My assumption would be that a large number of players were eliminated from their draft board entirely based on a lack of schematic fit and a lack of "personality fit" (they clearly went for "leaders", team-first players, and people with higher "character"). Hopefully, they evaluated all the available players, and then whittled that down to their official board. I agree that I would be concerned if they simply didn't have the resources to evaluate all the players in the draft, but I have to assume they did their due diligence.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,407
Default

Terry Frei has been writing for the Post forever and usually cover's the NHL.

His dad worked as a scout and OL coach for the Broncos
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston
 
chickennob2's Avatar
 
Glad to be back

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,078

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor_miner View Post
My assumption would be that a large number of players were eliminated from their draft board entirely based on a lack of schematic fit and a lack of "personality fit" (they clearly went for "leaders", team-first players, and people with higher "character"). Hopefully, they evaluated all the available players, and then whittled that down to their official board. I agree that I would be concerned if they simply didn't have the resources to evaluate all the players in the draft, but I have to assume they did their due diligence.
This.


It wasn't that they only looked at 100 players. That claim is ridiculous. They looked at all of the players, and eliminated guys based on character, intelligence, attitude, ability, and fit to the scheme. In the end they were left with 100 players that they thought would legitimately improve this team.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #16
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 19,868

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
This.


It wasn't that they only looked at 100 players. That claim is ridiculous. They looked at all of the players, and eliminated guys based on character, intelligence, attitude, ability, and fit to the scheme. In the end they were left with 100 players that they thought would legitimately improve this team.
one post in this thread which actually makes sense.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,104

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

I wrote him about this column. In particular, about his opening statement that McD acts like he knows more than everyone else. His response:

Quote:
Points read and registered. I do have considerable background and knowledge in football, though, as my books have evidenced.
Uh, WHO thinks he knows more than everyone else, Terry?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
baja
It is what it Is.
 
baja's Avatar
 
Pay attention.

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,689

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
If Xanders and Mac came out and said - We didnt' pick Magee or Brace or Dorrell because we looked hard at them as players, did a complete analysis, watched all the film, and decided that the BPAs on our board were Smith, McBath and Quinn, etc. - I would be fine with that. If what they are saying is we didn't take a DT or DE because we didn't even look at them and knew nothing about them, that's friggin negligence.
I'm sure they evaluated more than a hundred players but the hundred they chose had all the aspects they wanted, character, smarts, skill, desire to play the game and talented at their position as it relates to our scheme. and played a position we needed.

I thought it was a great draft and a great approach to drafting in general. I think this will turn out to be the best draft ever for the Broncos everything considered. We now have a team that will never embarrass us the way the team did last three games last year.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Something I've been considering with this draft...

Shanahan was mostly a height/weight/speed guy when it came to drafting.

We have a team full of athletes already. Is it possible that McKidds approach of getting solid football players / character guys is exactly what this team needs to balance things out?
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

The problem with the targeting approach is that if you are not exceedingly cool or target popular players you will end up having to pay a steep price to get them (as we did with Quinn and Smith).

Where you can win is if you target players other teams won't target so you can move around the draft and find a comfortable spot or if you have a lot of ice in your veins and will wait it out and see if the targeted players become available so you don't have to move up and get them.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Terry Frei has an excellent reputation in this town and is very knowledgable. I've always found him to be one of the better sports reporters in Denver. What he reported is that Mac and Xanders did not "prioritize." They selected from a limited pool of players they "wanted," whatever that means. I understand the concept they are using of BPA to fit their plan. It's not that complex.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that not one of the players in their greatest area of need (DT) fit their criteria. Especially when I look at the list of GMs in this draft (Newsome, Polian, Pioli) who did find DTs in the higher rounds for their teams. If you expect me to just trust, on faith, that the criteria these thirty-somethings are using is somehow superior to the draft knowledge of the GMs mentioned above, I got some swampland for sale.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #22
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,046

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Terry Frei has an excellent reputation in this town and is very knowledgable. I've always found him to be one of the better sports reporters in Denver. What he reported is that Mac and Xanders did not "prioritize." They selected from a limited pool of players they "wanted," whatever that means. I understand the concept they are using of BPA to fit their plan. It's not that complex.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that not one of the players in their greatest area of need (DT) fit their criteria. Especially when I look at the list of GMs in this draft (Newsome, Polian, Pioli) who did find DTs in the higher rounds for their teams. If you expect me to just trust, on faith, that the criteria these thirty-somethings are using is somehow superior to the draft knowledge of the GMs mentioned above, I got some swampland for sale.
One thing I think you might be missing though. All of those guys are drafting into a team they have drafted for before. They are putting players into a system that follows the players they put in last year. So they can prioritize a little more. Mcdaniels is coming in here and going. For what I am looking for the Cupboards are bare. He does not care that Scheffler is a great Seam Runner. He doesn't want it or need it. He wanted an inline blocker who in a goal line package will push it in the endzone or catch a short pass. He doesn't Care why JMFW was brought in. He did not show enough on tape to make AMFS a want and not a need. Newsome and Polian know how good their back ups are. They have seen the PS guys so their drafts can be more focused.

And Lets Be real in terms of Value Pioli Reached on Jackson.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #23
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,104

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Something I've been considering with this draft...

Shanahan was mostly a height/weight/speed guy when it came to drafting.

We have a team full of athletes already. Is it possible that McKidds approach of getting solid football players / character guys is exactly what this team needs to balance things out?
Looking at the list of UDFA's, there seem to be some character issues on there, no?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #24
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Looking at the list of UDFA's, there seem to be some character issues on there, no?
JMO, but I couldn't care less about UDFA. They have about a 5% chance of making this team so I think teams just throw a bunch of **** against the wall and see if anything sticks.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #25
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,046

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
JMO, but I couldn't care less about UDFA. They have about a 5% chance of making this team so I think teams just throw a bunch of **** against the wall and see if anything sticks.
Probably the most appropriate analogy for UDFA I have every seen.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Denver Broncos