The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Interesting Tidbits from BroncosTV Xanders Interview

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...V&year=&month=

Video interview with Brian Xanders. I'll attempt to transcribe.

"We knew that there were two or three players above twelve that we really liked high on our board, but we knew that they wouldn't be there for us. And so we set up 3 or 4 scenarios to react appropriately and to nail down exactly the best sequence to help, like we said, to help the offense and defense. And we got very fortunate with Knowshon Moreno being there at twelve. There were multiple teams trying to trade up ahead of us because they knew we liked him; we got called on the clock for Knowson, they wanted to trade for him. So to get the best offensive player on the board was outstanding, and he's going to have a great opportunity here in Denver with the history of Bobby Turner and 'Ricko' the offensive line coach that have been here 14 years and a great system. "

-- What are the challenges when you do have two picks that close to each other early on in the draft?

"Most of the teams in the league want to be in our spot because at 12 and 18 you're going to get 2 very good players, the contracts are not in the top 10, they fall down dramatically, and just the value of those players, those are good players all in that spot from 12 to about 22, and we nailed both of them. And then in the second round, we have a corner that's the number 1 corner on our board in the whole draft, you know, that was falling and we made the trade to get him. He's going to help our defense along with Robert Ayers, so it was exciting. You know the physical toughness of Moreno, Ayers, Alphonso Smith, McBath, Quinn all ties in to the themes that we had this whole offseason: we're building a football team that together collectively will win games through effort, smart situational football, physicality, toughness, and just production. We're extremely excited about everybody, from top to bottom, including a great college free agent class. We signed about 15 guys last night, and we're working on 3 more. we'll see how that goes. But from a draft perspective, we filled a lot of team needs with tough, smart, competitive, versatile players that all love football, all have great character, and we feel they're going to help us win games."

Also, in referring to Rick Dennison, it sounded like he said "Enrico", which I interpreted as "and Ricko", apparently a nickname I'd never heard before.

For the most part he just parroted what we've heard from McDaniels, but it sure sounds good. The fact that people were calling to trade up for Moreno was something I hadn't heard before.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post

"We knew that there were two or three players above twelve that we really liked high on our board, but we knew that they wouldn't be there for us. And so we set up 3 or 4 scenarios to react appropriately and to nail down exactly the best sequence to help, like we said, to help the offense and defense. And we got very fortunate with Knowshon Moreno being there at twelve. There were multiple teams trying to trade up ahead of us because they knew we liked him; we got called on the clock for Knowson, they wanted to trade for him. So to get the best offensive player on the board was outstanding, an he's going to have a great opportunity here in Denver with the history of Bobby Turner and 'Ricko' the offensive line coach that have been here 14 years and a great system. "

For the most part he just parroted what we've heard from McDaniels, but it sure sounds good. The fact that people were calling to trade up for Moreno was something I hadn't heard before.
Yes, Xanders should definitely be the person to articulate our agenda going forward. If you take McDaniels' words to date, you see no sign of continuity between the broncos we loved in 2008 and the ones we are logo-bound to love next year. I think McDaniels' problem is that he doesn't seem to have any reverent regard for our history, even the parts that worked. I really hope Xanders' explanation for things is closer to the truth, because it's the first affirmative showing of respect to our tradition that I've seen.

That said, McDaniels himself seems too stubborn to "give it up" to fans of the pre-mcdaniels bronco essence, almost as if he is corporeally punishing the thought-crimes of his detractors. However, If McDaniels tells Knowshon to do an emphatic MILE HIGH SALUTE when he scores our first TD of the year, I think it might literally and symbolically repair the chasm.

If McDaniels has Orton throw an awesome fakeout TD to Spencer Larsen, and tells Larsen to act like he's been there before, then it may behoove me to consider the usual unsolicited advice re: the bears & me.
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 AM   #3
backup qb
Ring of Famer

That is interesting regarding the teams trying to move up for Moreno. Other than that, he said exactly what you would expect to hear.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
Pat Bowlen
President/Chief Executive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chatterboodamn View Post
Yes, Xanders should definitely be the person to articulate our agenda going forward. If you take McDaniels' words to date, you see no sign of continuity between the broncos we loved in 2008 and the ones we are logo-bound to love next year. I think McDaniels' problem is that he doesn't seem to have any reverent regard for our history, even the parts that worked. I really hope Xanders' explanation for things is closer to the truth, because it's the first affirmative showing of respect to our tradition that I've seen.

That said, McDaniels himself seems too stubborn to "give it up" to fans of the pre-mcdaniels bronco essence, almost as if he is corporeally punishing the thought-crimes of his detractors. However, If McDaniels tells Knowshon to do an emphatic MILE HIGH SALUTE when he scores our first TD of the year, I think it might literally and symbolically repair the chasm.

If McDaniels has Orton throw an awesome fakeout TD to Spencer Larsen, and tells Larsen to act like he's been there before, then it may behoove me to consider the usual unsolicited advice re: the bears & me.
Here's some unsolicited advice: calm down and enjoy the ride.
Pat Bowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
If you take McDaniels' words to date, you see no sign of continuity between the broncos we loved in 2008 and the ones we are logo-bound to love next year.
This is what I don't get. People who are in love with an 8-8 team that missed the playoffs with an historic collapse. Why, for the love of god, would you you hope to maintain continuity with that?
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Bowlen View Post
QFT.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

People seemed content with a team that had a strong armed QB, but no defense, and mediocre at best special teams and this team was headed for something great? The defense and special teams have not been good for awhile now. It just didn't start last season like some apparently think and weren't paying attention the last few years especially.

You don't win consistently when you consistently lose the battle of field position, which has been happening with this team for many years now.

And apparently Shanahan was content himself to keep bringing back those coaches and considering his draft record with defensive players, one has a hard time objectively seeing how things were going to get better.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Bowlen View Post
Shut up drunky!
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

I like Xanders. I think he has more influence than people think. For instance, McDaniels didn't even go to the Senior Bowl, but that is where Ayers shined.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
People seemed content with a team that had a strong armed QB, but no defense, and mediocre at best special teams and this team was headed for something great? The defense and special teams have not been good for awhile now. It just didn't start last season like some apparently think and weren't paying attention the last few years especially.

You don't win consistently when you consistently lose the battle of field position, which has been happening with this team for many years now.

And apparently Shanahan was content himself to keep bringing back those coaches and considering his draft record with defensive players, one has a hard time objectively seeing how things were going to get better.
I don't think a lot of people were content with that.

I personally wasn't at all which is why I wasn't upset to see Shanahan go.

On the other hand of course, I am not at all content with a team that has a noodle-armed QB, no defense and a ****ty special teams. I don't see how this team has improved at all.

The defensive line is made up of people who failed misserably last year and other peoples garbage. The linebacker group is the same as last year except for Andra Davis. The secondary is better, but I am not convinced that they won't get killed anyway since I don't see our pass rush or our run defense as improved at all, then again we did spend 40 million and a 1st, 2nd and 4th rounc pick so it is no surprise it is improved really.

On special teams we have a new long snapper, I hope he improves the units a lot. We have the same kicker and punter, a bevy of low ranked returners and Royal whom we also had last year and unless a LOT of rookies stick around, I don't see where the change is going to come from.

My problem is not that a new head coach was brought in, my problem is that the new head coach seems to have done little or nothing to fix the major problems of the team (defense and special teams) and a lot to create new ones (QB).
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I don't think a lot of people were content with that.

I personally wasn't at all which is why I wasn't upset to see Shanahan go.

On the other hand of course, I am not at all content with a team that has a noodle-armed QB, no defense and a ****ty special teams. I don't see how this team has improved at all.

The defensive line is made up of people who failed misserably last year and other peoples garbage. The linebacker group is the same as last year except for Andra Davis. The secondary is better, but I am not convinced that they won't get killed anyway since I don't see our pass rush or our run defense as improved at all, then again we did spend 40 million and a 1st, 2nd and 4th rounc pick so it is no surprise it is improved really.

On special teams we have a new long snapper, I hope he improves the units a lot. We have the same kicker and punter, a bevy of low ranked returners and Royal whom we also had last year and unless a LOT of rookies stick around, I don't see where the change is going to come from.

My problem is not that a new head coach was brought in, my problem is that the new head coach seems to have done little or nothing to fix the major problems of the team (defense and special teams) and a lot to create new ones (QB).
So Ayers either failed miserably last year, was someone else's garbage, or if you think he'll play linebacker, then he was on our roster last year. hmm, good to know.

And on special teams, we've added Darrell Reid, a coverage unit standout, the best STer in the draft in Bruton, as well as McBath and Quinn. ST is about more than just punter, kicker, and returner. These guys will all improve the coverage teams. Add in a young linebacker like that UDFA we picked up who sounds like a great ST guy, and I think special teams will be greatly improved.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post

Not sure how you can say that about Special Teams. It seems that a lot of the players brought in were specifically targeted for their potential on S/T: Reid, Smith, Bruton, Paxton (although - doubtful he's an "upgrade"), and Arrington. I also believe I saw McKinley and McBath have experience on Special Teams. It seems to me that this is a big piece of what McDaniels has done.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I didn´t love the 2008 Denver Broncos.
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:

Did I read this correctly in that you are saying that you're sentiments on the Broncos are contingent on how the team scores and celebrates it's first touchdown

WTF

Do you even like football, or do the bright colors and funny dances just catch your fancy on Sundays?

I like the Mile High Salute as much as the next guy (well maybe not as much as you, but I like it), but I'd just like to see more touchdowns period. And if they are 2 yard passes to Liechtensteiger FTW, so be it.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Does anyone else think Knowshon looked like a bad ass scoring that TD wearing the black jersey
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #16
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Bro, I did not love the 2008 Broncos. After the first 3 games and the Browns game, I rather hated them.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
empulse
D Wins Championships

2008 Orange Mane II FF Champ!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
I like Xanders. I think he has more influence than people think. For instance, McDaniels didn't even go to the Senior Bowl, but that is where Ayers shined.
Woo Hoo for 1 year wonders. . . . *Sulks*
empulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

"We knew that there were two or three players above twelve that we really liked high on our board, but we knew that they wouldn't be there for us. And so we set up 3 or 4 scenarios to react appropriately and to nail down exactly the best sequence to help, like we said, to help the offense and defense. And we got very fortunate with Knowshon Moreno being there at twelve. There were multiple teams trying to trade up ahead of us because they knew we liked him; we got called on the clock for Knowson, they wanted to trade for him. So to get the best offensive player on the board was outstanding, and he's going to have a great opportunity here in Denver with the history of Bobby Turner and 'Ricko' the offensive line coach that have been here 14 years and a great system. "

-- What are the challenges when you do have two picks that close to each other early on in the draft?

"Most of the teams in the league want to be in our spot because at 12 and 18 you're going to get 2 very good players, the contracts are not in the top 10, they fall down dramatically, and just the value of those players, those are good players all in that spot from 12 to about 22, and we nailed both of them. And then in the second round, we have a corner that's the number 1 corner on our board in the whole draft, you know, that was falling and we made the trade to get him. He's going to help our defense along with Robert Ayers, so it was exciting. You know the physical toughness of Moreno, Ayers, Alphonso Smith, McBath, Quinn all ties in to the themes that we had this whole offseason: we're building a football team that together collectively will win games through effort, smart situational football, physicality, toughness, and just production. We're extremely excited about everybody, from top to bottom, including a great college free agent class. We signed about 15 guys last night, and we're working on 3 more. we'll see how that goes. But from a draft perspective, we filled a lot of team needs with tough, smart, competitive, versatile players that all love football, all have great character, and we feel they're going to help us win games."

Also, in referring to Rick Dennison, it sounded like he said "Enrico", which I interpreted as "and Ricko", apparently a nickname I'd never heard before.

Notice how he did more than answer the question. It makes me wonder if he gave the interview so he could spin giving up so much in the the second.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

we got called on the clock for Knowson, they wanted to trade for him.

Given how long it took the Broncos to make that particular selection, I'm betting they did more than just listen to those offers.

Once Knowshon hears about this, I'll bet he goes home, shuts off his cell phone and demands a trade. You've been warned.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
we got called on the clock for Knowson, they wanted to trade for him.

Given how long it took the Broncos to make that particular selection, I'm betting they did more than just listen to those offers.

Once Knowshon hears about this, I'll bet he goes home, shuts off his cell phone and demands a trade. You've been warned.
we are all waiting for it, that is how most professional football players handle business, right?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #21
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

We got bent over in the 2nd round and everyone knows it. I must admit though , Smith came off VERY well polished in his press conference...hopefully his on field game is on par with his communication skills.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #22
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Logo-bound - I like that!
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

go root for another team then, its honestly that simple.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #24
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
That's a good analysis ...
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
jsco70
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:

we're building a football team that together collectively will win games through effort, smart situational football, physicality, toughness, and just production.
I'll believe it when I see it, but quote this makes sense to me. Therefore, I expect no more stupid offsides or motion penalties, no more missed routine tackles, WRs that run a 11 yard route when it's 3rd and 10, the offense needs to score red zone TDs as opposed to FGs, improved field position through special teams, and for the love of all things holy...no more celebrations after a tackle 5 yards downfield.

If McDaniels, Xander and crew can acheive these simple goals, then everything will turn out fine. Seems reasonable to me.
jsco70 is offline   Reply With Quote