The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default Beathard on Board with Broncos trade for Smith

Some wisdom from a guy who obviously knows how to build championship football teams!

And for all you whiners out there gnashing your teeth over the bogus idea that Bowlen has turned into a cheapskate ... read it and weep, then climb off the ledge!

Debatable deal gets Beathard's blessing

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/28/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

True to suspicions, the Broncos discussed finances before the NFL draft.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders huddled with chief operating officer Joe Ellis and owner Pat Bowlen. They talked about the draft budget. They went over their two first-round picks and how much they would cost. They talked about the two first-round picks in 2010 and how much they would cost. The result of that meeting of Broncos leaders and Bowlen's pocketbook?

"No restrictions," McDaniels said.

It wasn't finances that caused the Broncos to raise eyebrows by trading their first-round pick in 2010 to Seattle for a high second-round pick and the right to select cornerback Alphonso Smith on Saturday.

The deal was a blast from Bobby Beathard's past.

"It's really the philosophy of let's get better now," said Beathard, who built rosters in Miami, Washington and San Diego that went to seven Super Bowls and won four. In 1993, Beathard traded San Diego's No. 1 draft pick in 1994 for the right to select running back Natrone Means in the second round, right then and there. "If there's a player there you really like, it's not the gamble people think. You have to go by your evaluations, your convictions, and if the Broncos had (Smith) rated there, then, 'Don't let him go, we're going to go get another No. 1.' "

On the surface, trading the No. 1 of tomorrow for a No. 2 of today doesn't add up. And yes, the Broncos were facing the pricey commitment of paying approximately $12.5 million in guaranteed money to running back Know-shon Moreno and another $9.5 million to defensive end/linebacker Robert Ayers after selecting them in the first round.

But Bowlen did not issue an edict to McDaniels and Xanders that they must get rid of one of their first-round picks in 2010. As McDaniels said Saturday after drafting two players in the first round, "We did it this year. We would have done it next year."

That extra first-round pick, it should be noted, had been acquired 23 days earlier in the Jay Cutler trade.

The reason the Broncos dealt a first-round pick next year for a second-round pick this year was simply their desire to draft Smith. From the start of the second round, the Broncos started calling teams hoping to acquire the cornerback who some scouts compare to the late Darrent Williams because of his instincts and playmaking abilities.

Seattle, with the overall No. 37 pick in the second round, liked the idea of getting one of the Broncos' first-round draft picks next year. But no, the Seahawks would not agree to the condition the Broncos keep the better of the two picks. One pick would have been dependent on the Chicago Bears' record this season; the other pick would have been determined by the Broncos' finish.

The Seahawks insisted on taking the Broncos' pick. The Broncos didn't have time to argue, not with the clock running. To finish the deal for Smith, the Broncos agreed to surrender their own pick and kept the one connected to where the Bears finish.

"I don't think it was about finances," draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said. "Forget the second round. If he's the 20th-best player on your board, which Alphonso Smith could have been, then who cares? That's their argument and it's a just argument. I'm not an advocate of that. I think it's a risky proposition."

Here's the risk: If the Broncos finish, say, 5-11 this season, Seattle could have the No. 6 overall pick or so in the 2010 draft. No matter how it's explained, Broncoland will never understand how a No. 37 pick equals what turned out to be a No. 6.

But if the Broncos finish 10-6, then Seattle's extra pick would come in around No. 22 overall in 2010, or around where the Broncos may have rated Smith on their 2009 board. And if Smith has a big season and the Broncos win the AFC West, a No. 2 or a No. 1 will have been worth it.

"Maybe you don't hit it right sometimes, but I believe in that," Beathard said.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
Popps
It's so easy

Yea, just read this. It's very logical. I understand the frustration of the draft-geeks around here, but I'm fine giving away some draft slots next year if it helps us bring in a guy the staff loves, and can start developing NOW. A year of pro development is WORTH some draft slots.

I also love that this kid ads an element we've had Z E R O of in the past few years, and that's a ball-hawk. We haven't crated turnovers for ****, really in a long time.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I have been onboard with this pick since it happened
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
Popps
It's so easy

I would have been much more skeptical of this pick if we had had a bad first round. But, a game-breaker like Moreno and likely the best DE/LB in the draft... that appeased me into believing taking a shot at a turnover machine like this kid was worth it.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Why not trade up from the 48 spot to the 37 spot with a 3 rounder and 6 rounder. Why risk the change to get a player like McCoy in next years draft.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Yea, just read this. It's very logical. I understand the frustration of the draft-geeks around here, but I'm fine giving away some draft slots next year if it helps us bring in a guy the staff loves, and can start developing NOW. A year of pro development is WORTH some draft slots.

I also love that this kid ads an element we've had Z E R O of in the past few years, and that's a ball-hawk. We haven't crated turnovers for ****, really in a long time.
Yeah you can say that again.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #7
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I also like to do Mock drafts. This will kill all my Mock drafts for next year.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
Why not trade up from the 48 spot to the 37 spot with a 3 rounder and 6 rounder. Why risk the change to get a player like McCoy in next years draft.
You're not a real fan.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #9
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Yeah you can say that again.
Teams have been able to go away from Champ, that's when he's healthy enough to play. He's one of my favorites, but it's time to start giving him some help out there.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

For sure money plays into it. Bowlen may not have said I don't want to pay 4 first round picks over two yrs, but Mcdaniels knows that he will also then maybe say we can't sign said FA next offseason because of all these first round picks we are paying.

Elway you think Broncos wouldn't have done that if they could? Use a 3rd and 6th to move up in the 2nd? High 2nd round picks are gold in the NFL teams do not part with them easily.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #11
Popps
It's so easy

Again, Shanahan took a lot of criticism for the Royal pick, but he stated afterwards that he thought he was the best WR in the draft. So, in the 2nd round... you're not only getting the player you think is a 1st round talent, but you're paying him considerably less.

If it works, it's a great move. If not, you're open to criticism.

But, keep in mind.. if it doesn't work, you still have to go make that first round pick a good one next year, or you're open to just as much criticism, and you'll be paying more for your mistake.

It's really not a tough concept to get your head around, which is why a guy like Beathard calls it smart move.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:47 AM   #12
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
You're not a real fan.
Just don't @itch if Seattle ends up with a top 5 pick.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
I guess I should have included the

I'll b**** like crazy.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:53 AM   #14
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Bobby Beathard. The ****ing draft authority.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:06 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
The point is maybe you don't want too many picks in top 5 because they cost so much and often guys picked around the middle of round one just as good.

4 first round picks over 2 yrs you are talking big money. The type of upfront bonus money that keeps you out of the FA market.

I totally understand the move. The like the player, think he is a starting NFL corner, get him cheaper, don't have to worry about 4 first round picks over 2 yrs, only 3.

Still a lot of talent can be had next yr without 2 first round picks.

Plus by next yr Alphonso Smith will be starting at CB for Broncos.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 AM   #16
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Who says Seattle would've taken it? Its likely they had a player on their board they wanted as well, so at that point you're not only trying to get the value of the pick, but also trying to buy out their interest in making it.

It gets tougher if another team or teams are calling looking to move up too.

I understand the FO's mindset because there is no guarantee that next year will have a player at CB they like as much as Alphonso Smith, or if there is that they'll have a shot at him. Nickel CB is an immediate hole on this team and the #1 and #2 CBs will need someone new to step in and take over sooner than later at this point. If the FO really thought he was the best corner on the board then their move is justified. It might be a gamble that doesn't pay off, but it was a rational act, not the panicked move that some try to paint it as around here.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #17
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

I like the idea of getting that pick in here now and having an extra year to develop him and all that. But with 5 1st or 2nd round picks how are we going to look financially a 5 years down the road when they're all coming up on free agency? The second issue, while I agree that being able to develop a player now is worth some slots... if we turn out to be a 5-11 team, McXanders are in trouble. The local media will eat them up, the national media will eat them up. If by some chance they survive that you'll likely see 5 of these guys go in the top 10 next year: Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy, Taylor Mays, Cody, and Suh. Mays is the only one that is not in a position of need, thanks to this year's draft class. Too much risk. The Seahawks played them like newbies.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #18
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

I've stated this in multiple threads. I have no problem with the trade and selection.

Alphonso Smith is a player.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

If Mount Cody is sitting there when the Hawks make their pick next year, then Smith better be another Champ Bailey.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #20
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Bobby Beathard. The ****ing draft authority.
How many NFL teams have you run the draft for?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #21
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I was ok with the move then and now. People are playing the "what if" game if this or that player is there with that pick traded. We're to assume all 1st rounders are given and guarantees.

I see QB's namess being thrown around, but again, when reality hits home, you don't sacrifice a player you really want and think is a sure thing for a nameless player you don't know and don't even know if that player will be good or not.

How many QB's have been 1st round busts again the last 5 years? 10 years? It's a big list.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #22
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

lmao turnover machine.

You know who else was a turnover machine? Deltha Oneal.

The only turnover machine in the NFL is the combination of a strong passrush and a well designed cover scheme.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The point is maybe you don't want too many picks in top 5 because they cost so much and often guys picked around the middle of round one just as good.

4 first round picks over 2 yrs you are talking big money. The type of upfront bonus money that keeps you out of the FA market.
I totally understand the move. The like the player, think he is a starting NFL corner, get him cheaper, don't have to worry about 4 first round picks over 2 yrs, only 3.

Still a lot of talent can be had next yr without 2 first round picks.

Plus by next yr Alphonso Smith will be starting at CB for Broncos.
I was lead to believe teams are built around good drafting not FA.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
lmao turnover machine.

You know who else was a turnover machine? Deltha Oneal.

The only turnover machine in the NFL is the combination of a strong passrush and a well designed cover scheme.
O'Neal was one of 3 players in college history to have 20+ picks in a career? No. O'Neal had a great rookie year, but nothing after that. Even the defenders Shanahan drafted the last few years that showed anything that first year tended to fade. DJ Williams at this point is another one.

Whether Smith can do this in the NFL remains to be seen, but since he's done it before at some level, more chance he can do the same in the NFL than some guy who hasn't.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #25
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Whatever Happened to our top five pick we got from trading with the Redskins?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote