The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: The bottom line...
I'm all in. This team is going places. 115 66.47%
I'm still not buying it. This staff will be fizzle out and eventually be replaced. 58 33.53%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default The Official Josh McDaniels Appreciation Thread

You can all pull this thread up and blast me with it in a couple of years if things go south, but I believe he and the staff are making great strides to improve this team.

Props to him for being a guy who can go out and do what he needs to do. Proper decisions are not always popular ones, and championships aren't won without a few feelings getting hurt along the way.

This isn't about blindly supporting the new staff, but about giving them a little leeway to put their plan into motion, which I can see taking shape. Since the off-season began, the new staff has...

-Signed or drafted over 30 players to improve this team, more than 15 of them on defense.)
-Signed an all-world S and team leader for the defense.
-Brought in a DC with a history as a head coach and a successful coordinator.
-Landed the best RB in college football.
-Landed the best DE/OLB prospect in college football.
-Prioritized a team philosophy over individual, self-serving attitudes.
-Prioritized character players.
-Not only made a verbal commitment to improving special teams, but went out and acquired players to achieve those improvements.
-Conducted a highly targeted draft, adding extra picks now, to develop better players, sooner.
-Rid the defense of the dead weight that had no business of being out on the field.
-Created an atmosphere where players know they're going to compete for a position, no mater what their name is.
-Generated a genuine excitement in the players that is almost tangible and clearly evident when listening to young players like Dumervil and Marshall.

It's been a bumpy ride, but this staff has a highly focused plan and as a Broncos fan, I'm 100% behind them. McDaniels came from a culture of winning and has a track record as a coordinator that speaks for itself, much like our last great head coach.

Flame away, but I'm optimistic.

"...(When) I say we're going to change, I don't think anybody knows what that means. Including some of our players. Yet, they're going to find out. Then once they see us be successful from one week to the next, they're going to say, 'This works.' "

-Broncos Coach, Josh McDaniels

Last edited by Popps; 04-28-2009 at 12:31 AM..
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
phisig150
Atwater Hit Squad

I second that. With all due respect to Shanny and the great success he brought over the year, the last decade we grew a little stale. We needed a change of direction desperately. He seems kind of like the Anti-Shanny. Character over talent. Bringing some of what makes the Pats great but putting his own twist on things. I say you give him 3 to 5 years and we won't disappointed. That being said I would rather have had Pioli and maybe a D guy like Spags or Ryan but I've definately warmed up to McDaniels.
phisig150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

I appreciate that Josh is coming in behind a legend in Broncos football coaching, has a spoiled fan base, over indulged players, and despite his ham fisted approach to taking care of business he is willing to make the hard choices in the face of harsh opposition. I think he has a hard road ahead but winning cures all ills. He's made some good individual steps but it's early in the process. I look forward to seeing what the spring training reports yield, what free agents he picks up and seeing what our defense looks like compared to last year. It is refreshing to see a coach whose willing to attack his problems and I wish him and the Broncos organization all the best.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisig150 View Post
I second that. With all due respect to Shanny and the great success he brought over the year, the last decade we grew a little stale. We needed a change of direction desperately. He seems kind of like the Anti-Shanny. Character over talent. Bringing some of what makes the Pats great but putting his own twist on things. I say you give him 3 to 5 years and we won't disappointed. That being said I would rather have had Pioli and maybe a D guy like Spags or Ryan but I've definately warmed up to McDaniels.
I was a long-time Shanny supporter around here, and still love the guy. It think his message eventually got a little stale, and it was time for a change. (In addition to some very poor GM work over the last decade.) It was his actual coaching that kept his teams competitive, though... which is still a testament to him.

But, to me... the McDaniels hiring is eerily similar to bringing in a young Mike Shanahan, coming off of a great run as a coordinator in SF. Young guy, smart guy, knew exactly what he wanted to do and didn't need to ask anyone's permission to do it. (Aside from Bowlen, who in both cases... totally trusts his coach.)
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Hey he cut the Engelberger so I'm all for him even though some here were claiming he was full of talent and just had poor coaching. Well he is still on the street and no other team showed interest in him and he was a starting DE last year.

Other than running Cutler off and at the end I was okay since he was acting like a primadonna, I have liked the out with the old and in with the new. Only time will tell.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
phisig150
Atwater Hit Squad

Yeah I see where you going with the young offensive geniuses comparison but I think their overall philosophies and personalities are like night and day, which for the future is a good thing.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
Hey he cut the Engelberger so I'm all for him even though some here were claiming he was full of talent and just had poor coaching. Well he is still on the street and no other team showed interest in him and he was a starting DE last year.l.
It'll be interesting to see if McCree, Engleberger and the likes can find jobs.

Honestly, like Ian Gold... we were starting guys that were so bad, other teams just flat out didn't want them, even as back-ups.

I do think Engleberger will find work... and not at UPS loading trucks. He'll wind up a cheap, back-up on a team running a 4-3 that needs depth. (As he should have been in Denver.)
Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

All in. People seem to forget the crappy team he was handed over. Alot of work needed to be done and he is well on the way to fix it. But unlike some others here, I am smart enough to know it will be a 2 -3 year process.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
All in. People seem to forget the crappy team he was handed over. Alot of work needed to be done and he is well on the way to fix it. But unlike some others here, I am smart enough to know it will be a 2 -3 year process.
I think people will be surprised by how competitive we are. Our record may not show it, but this team has some talent... and I guarantee you there's going to be a different attitude out there on Sundays.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #11
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Excellent summary Popps, completely agree.

This isn't about blind loyalty at all, but simply facing the facts that this team was in need of a change, all due respect to Shanny who I also supported for years.

And look at the s**t storm McD has already endured and still kept his focus and is working double overtime to turn this into a solid cohesive team ASAP.

He's not going to get every detail right and will make plenty of unpopular decisions, and thank goodness he has the fortitude and vision to make those he has too without bending to public opinion.

He'll make his share of mistakes too along the way as every coach does, but he's doing a hell of a lot more right as well, and has the right attitude and big picture plan to restore us again to every year honestly competing for the whole enchilada like the last half of the 1990's.

This year is an unknown and with that brutal schedule we may make overall substantial progress as a team toward our ultimate goal and still miss the playoffs this year. The first half of the season is going to be a huge adjustment period as it is, with so many new and young faces, and a entirely new system on both O and D.

So patience and foresight is the key for enjoying this ride. And to me, it is just ludicrous for fans to want to tar and feather the guy ... and the team ... before anyone has even taken the field! This is NOT an episode of 'As The World Turns', as much as a relatively minor minority of guys here seem to want it to be ... its freakin' hard nose football.

Maybe I'm too old school, but it only makes common sense to at least offer the benefit of whatever doubts they may have and their SUPPORT, and give the guy a chance as he lays out and implements his vision before slitting their wrists.

But hey, whatever floats their boats I guess!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 AM   #12
phisig150
Atwater Hit Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I think people will be surprised by how competitive we are. Our record may not show it, but this team has some talent... and I guarantee you there's going to be a different attitude out there on Sundays.
That's all I ask really. Put up a fight. Give me a fun and competitive game to watch every week. Oh and always sweep the Raiders. We can go 2-14 as long as we don't lose to the Raiders. Well I want at least 3 wins this year. Gotta beat "America's" team.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #13
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
True enough CBF1
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #14
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

BY ROBERT LEE - Journal Sports Writer

Coaching football was always in Josh McDaniels’ blood.

01:00 AM EDT on Saturday, October 6, 2007

FOXBORO — Josh McDaniels caught the coaching bug early.

His father Thom, the current head coach at Massillon (Ohio) Jackson High School, was a longtime head coach at McKinley High in Canton, Ohio, where Josh went to school.

Through his father, the Patriots’ offensive coordinator learned a passion for coaching at a young age.

“I saw all the regards that my father had from it as a coach himself,” McDaniels said. “I went to college, and I kind of had my eye on that the whole time, and I felt like that was the direction I was going to go in.”

“Just using the experience that I saw my father have, it looked like the way I wanted to go with my life, and that’s kind of why I delved into the coaching profession, to start with,” McDaniels said.

McDaniels said he doesn’t know what he would be doing if it weren’t for coaching.

“I majored in math in college for no other reason than I was good in math,” said McDaniels, who went to John Carroll University, where he was a wide receiver for the Blue Streaks. “[Coaching] is what I had my eye on, really, the whole time.”

At first he thought he would be a high school coach like his father. He said he never dreamed he would be coaching in the NFL.

“I wanted to be a graduate assistant and then move on to some level,” said McDaniels, who has been coaching for eight years. “ never dreamed it would be this one.”

Nick Saban gave McDaniels his first coaching job at Michigan State in 1999 as a graduate assistant. He made the leap from the college ranks to the pros in 2001 when he was hired by New England as a personal assistant/coaching assistant. He quickly expanded his role to include film breakdown and scouting preparation for the defensive coaching staff. He became a full-time coaching assistant in February of 2002. His role included breaking down film and scouting chart preparations for the defensive staff. In 2003, he had additional responsibilities working with the defensive backs.

McDaniels was promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2004. He worked with Tom Brady to help him produce the highest passer rating of Brady’s career (92.6) and the second-highest single-season passer rating in team history.

He continued to work with Brady in 2005, and helped him raise his game to another level. Brady led the NFL in 2005 with a career-best 4,110 passing yards, the second-highest total in Patriots history.

Last season, McDaniels was promoted to offensive coordinator. New England head coach Bill Belichick said McDaniels has been successful as an offensive coordinator because of the experience he had breaking down film and scouting players.

“I think every day is a challenge,” McDaniels said about being offensive coordinator. “Every week is different. That’s really the interesting thing about it, and it’s probably the most challenging thing about it. Each week you come in and what you did to beat the team last week or what you did to try to win the game two weeks ago doesn’t necessarily have an application this week because this team or this defense is totally different. You have to evaluate their players every week and try to find the weaknesses and the strengths of your team and use those to the best of your ability.

“The challenging thing about it is you’re never really sure how somebody is going to play you from one week to the next,” McDaniels added. “You prepare and you know what they’ve done, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that that’s what they are going to do against you that day.” McDaniels said sometimes the game plan has to be changed based on how the defense is playing them. It’s because of that that McDaniels has had to learn how to make changes on the fly.

“Based on what the team does, you might have to go with an instinct or a gut feeling and say, ‘What we planned on doing or what we tried to do in that situation might not be the best thing to do,’ and you call something different and you hope your guys are prepared well, which we have been, for the most part, and able to adjust on the run,” McDaniels said.

McDaniels said working with a quarterback as talented as Brady makes his job a lot easier.

“If we have an idea that we feel is going to work and be successful, he understands why pretty fast,” McDaniels said. “I think we’re fortunate to have him be the guy in the huddle and make sure that everybody else is on the same page as we are. He’s usually pretty quick to adjust and adapt to what we’re doing.”

McDaniels said he has only about 10 to 15 seconds to call a play and get the right personnel in the game. He said the players and the rest of the coaching staff are good at adjusting quickly to game situations.

Last edited by Popps; 04-28-2009 at 12:52 AM..
Old 04-28-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I honestly don't think this staff will last longer then 3 years but I sure as hell hope they prove me wrong. That said I'm extremely curious to see how McD actually preforms as a coach. Roster building is extremely important but how he preforms as a coach will be what makes or breaks is coaching career in the NFL. We haven't seen anything yet...
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #16
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog24 View Post
I honestly don't think this staff will last longer then 3 years but I sure as hell hope they prove me wrong. That said I'm extremely curious to see how McD actually preforms as a coach. Roster building is extremely important but how he preforms as a coach will be what makes or breaks is coaching career in the NFL. We haven't seen anything yet...
Yes, the proof is in the pudding, but what we have seen so far is encouraging ... and hopeful.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #17
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

the title of this thread is probably the most intellectually honest by the author to date
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:20 AM   #18
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chatterboodamn View Post
the title of this thread is probably the most intellectually honest by the author to date
If you're going to snipe, you need to be more specific. Otherwise, it's just nanny-nanny-boo-boo.

Know what Im sayin'?

But, sure... I appreciate the staff's work and I'm optimistic. Sorry if that sits poorly with you.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 AM   #19
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm of the opinion that it's just as premature to call for his firing as it is to start an appreciation thread.

It's getting sillier by the day.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #20
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

Herlocker ABatar MOJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I just about started a "Josh McDaniels for the Ring of Fame" thread, but thought better of it. Why stop at an appreciation thread after his first draft before a player has even laced a cleat? Let's take this all the way baby!

Let's put Josh McDaniels in the Ring of Fame this year!

I overheard talk here locally in Ohio that they are tearing down a wall and adding onto this building for a wing devoted to Josh ...

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 AM   #21
slyinky

Thar she Blows!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm all in. I firmly believe that we will see a successful team sooner than most believe. By successful, I mean a playoff team by year two. While the front seven hasn't been addressed to many peoples liking, you're not going to be able to fix everything in one offseason. I think we will see improvement in some key areas. Namely giveaway/takeaways, field position/special teams and red zone efficiency. This is a team with a lot of holes and I think McDaniels has attacked the areas that he deemed the most feasible in regards to the personnel that was available through free agency and the draft.

If the players that have been acquired so far under McDaniels prove to be successful, that really only leaves the front seven as a big question mark. The offense should be excellent IMO and so should the secondary and special teams. I don't really think we know what we have for a front seven under Mike Nolan's new defensive scheme. Some of the younger players like Larsen, Woodyard, Marcus Thomas or maybe even Crowder may thrive under Nolan thus making it more clear what areas to address along the front seven next offseason.

I remember praying that Bowlen would hire a young coach by the name of Mike Shanahan, thinking that he would lead the Broncos to a championship. I am just as optimistic about McDaniels. Actually, even more so. By year two under McDaniels we are going to see a well rounded, potent club in all phases of the game. Team oriented players who are competitive and tough. Book it.

Oh, and I am never wrong.
slyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #22
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
If you're going to snipe, you need to be more specific. Otherwise, it's just nanny-nanny-boo-boo.

Know what Im sayin'?

But, sure... I appreciate the staff's work and I'm optimistic. Sorry if that sits poorly with you.

Oops -- back to your sophistry crutch again!

Dude, it's simple. You are entirely dogmatic in your "optimistic" polemicals for McDaniels. You never articulate your optimism in an optimistic manner, rather you justify your "optimism" by persistently belittling and alienating your fellow fans.

If you want specifics, I am happy to oblige.

In your prolific body of snide posts, you only acknowledge only those facts which support your unshakable hypotheses. You never engage the other side by trying to understand why they are thinking what they are thinking. You instead regurgitate these selected facts through a logic system where the axioms are all lifted from post-September 11 bumper stickers. Remembers your fundamentals; pathos, ethos, logos.

Also, it wasn't really a snipe, just a backhanded yet honest compliment.

You are entitled to your opinion, everyone else is entitled to his/her own as well. By failing to consider or even acknowledge alternative interpretations of this situation, your so-called optimistic conclusions are intellectually dishonest. This is not because you're wrong, this is because you present your opinions as something more than your "official appreciation" of Josh McDumbsofar. Your typical thread titles are merely games you play with truthful sounding statements, but this title I found to be honest.

Your messages themselves are the main source of fuel in great internet fued between the McDanielstown Koolaid Crew and the thumbsucking Fuddy Duddy ShanaCutler felatio posse.

I hope the situation improves for everyone. Part of that must include the reunification of Broncos' nation. In order to achieve that, I think McDaniels should acknowledge our many great traditions and engage those who will never want to abandon our core identity. I honestly hope that I am wrong about where this is headed.
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 AM   #23
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I really like how he's addressed our #1 weakness along the DL...
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:06 AM   #24
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

I'm optimistic but I didn't get my feelings hurt when Shanahan was let go and or when Jay was given a ticket out of town. Like most things in life/business opportunities come about in many different forms and time frames and you make the best of your situations.

The game is a business and I understand how and why the most recent franchise changing events played themselves out (at least with the information I am privy to).

I also know when the games begin there are those that will always criticise the new coach for all that has transpired regardless of the Broncos success.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:12 AM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog24 View Post
I think once the game starts he will be a great play caller. Man you are going to love him trust me.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote