The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default The fate of Barrett?

I was kind of liking what he added after McCree and Manuel were so dreadful...but that could be because M&M lowered the bar THAT much. Still, Barrett was very fast and impacted games at times. I remember when he gave Tony Gonzalez fits in coverage. He had some good moments but as a rookie, he also a couple of bad ones. The other thing with him too was that he had to step in when every one else was in mid season form and adjust on the fly, since he was on the practice squad most of the year. But last year, our safeties were so bad, I can see why someone would want to be more pro-active in addressing this. So, we bring in Hill, Dawkins, McBath, and Bruton. Is Barrett as good as gone?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Barrett didn't look very instinctual out there, though he was fast. Is he still under contract?

My guess is that he'll have a chance to compete. Clearly, the new admin places a high priority on special teams, and if nothing else... his speed may help him stick around that way.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

McHoodie drafted 2 safeties, what do you think his fate is?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post

Im not sure if theyd cut him soon or if theyd let him stay around through pre-season, or if theyd give him a chance and possibly win playing time. I think its pretty obvious theyre not pinning their hopes on him. But that doesnt necessarily mean they dont like him. It could also mean that they just think that he is raw (but coachable)...but at the same time they want to hedge their bets by taking other guys.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I was kind of liking what he added after McCree and Manuel were so dreadful...but that could be because M&M lowered the bar THAT much. Still, Barrett was very fast and impacted games at times. I remember when he gave Tony Gonzalez fits in coverage. He had some good moments but as a rookie, he also a couple of bad ones. The other thing with him too was that he had to step in when every one else was in mid season form and adjust on the fly, since he was on the practice squad most of the year. But last year, our safeties were so bad, I can see why someone would want to be more pro-active in addressing this. So, we bring in Hill, Dawkins, McBath, and Bruton. Is Barrett as good as gone?
Barrett's fate is in his hands. Either you perform well against the competition or you are gone. Fortunately for the Broncos, he has competition. This bodes well for the team as a whole. I hope last years opportunity to play has given him insight to learn what he is lacking in, he has used that to his advantage in the offseason and wish the best for him.

Last edited by dsmoot; 04-28-2009 at 01:33 AM..
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Barrett looked stiff to me out there but he is raw. If he can play good special teams I think he could stick around. IMO Mcdaniels is going to load up on WR and Dbacks that can run on special teams.

IMO its older, that aren't going to be starters again, that don't play great special teams that need to worry.

I worry about Stokely because I love him on the team but hes a 3rd 4th wr and doesn't play special teams. I'm thinking hes a locker room guy and can play the slot better then anyone on the team so hes probably safe.

You know Mcdaniels likes Gaffney though and he did draft a WR.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Barrett was the best of all the safety's last year....that is not saying much...
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:55 AM   #8
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Barrett didn't look very instinctual out there, though he was fast. Is he still under contract?

My guess is that he'll have a chance to compete. Clearly, the new admin places a high priority on special teams, and if nothing else... his speed may help him stick around that way.
He would have had a real good chance had he not been drafted by Shanahan! McD has acted like a new wife moving into the house of a divorced spouse.....and will put his personality on his new house/team, decorations included.

Barret as many of the Bronco players drafted by Shanahan would stand a much better chance making a roster and playing in the NFL if they reunited with Shanahan next year on a new team.

McDaniels is just stringing along the Shanahan drafted players....plain and simple! McD.......is CLEANING HOUSE of all Shanahan drafted players btwn 2009 and 2010. Watch and see.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 AM   #9
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Possible we'll carry 5 safeties next year if Barrett has a good camp and we want to keep him.

Renaldo Hill is known to play CB in Nickle and Dime formations as far as I know so he may be viewed as a sort of tweener?

CB: Bailey, Goodman, Smith, JMFW/Bell

Safety: Dawkins, McBath, Bruton, Barrett

With Renaldo Hill doing a bit of both, depending on the down and situation.

Hard to know at this point, though.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Possible we'll carry 5 safeties next year if Barrett has a good camp and we want to keep him.

Renaldo Hill is known to play CB in Nickle and Dime formations as far as I know so he may be viewed as a sort of tweener?

CB: Bailey, Goodman, Smith, JMFW/Bell

Safety: Dawkins, McBath, Bruton, Barrett

With Renaldo Hill doing a bit of both, depending on the down and situation.

Hard to know at this point, though.
I believe JMFW is GONE at this point... if we have any other CB it's going to be Jackson because I believe Bell makes the team. We have one dwarf CB (Smith) which is ok for the slot, but we don't need 2 unless he's doing kick/punt returns.

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 04-28-2009 at 05:19 AM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Considering just how similar he is to Bruton, I am guessing the two will fight it out in camp for the backup SS spot.

They are both superbly athletic, both work out extremely well and both lack instinct and cover skills. Barrett should have the upper hand with his 1 year in the NFL, on the other hand Bruton is a Mcdaniels selection and he might not be too keen on admitting that Shanahan did better in the 7th round than he did in the 4th. It is unknown wether Bruton is a good and willing special teamer and the best thing Barrett could do now is just go full steam at ST practice.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #12
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Barrett was a product of his coaching. Barrett (regardless of speed) is not a deep cover safety. He should be an "in the box" safety, and he showed us he excels at covering athletic TE's.

That being said, what the hell were the coaches thinking playing Barrett 30 yards deep? Are you serious? A rookie covering the deep third of the field by himself? What a coaching abortion. He wasn't ready for that assignment. They changed his role week to week when he had no experience, and they expected him to succeed?

All that aside, he has potential, but now he has major competition. He better work his ass off to be a ST stud so he can stay on the active roster. His fate is in his hands, but it will take lots of hard work. No more jobs by default, especially in the secondary.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
McDaniels is just stringing along the Shanahan drafted players....plain and simple! McD.......is CLEANING HOUSE of all Shanahan drafted players btwn 2009 and 2010. Watch and see.
You can't be serious with this nonsense. It has NOTHING to do with who drafted them and EVERYTHING to do with putting the best players for the system and the team on the field. By your "logic" they'll be running Clady and Royal out of here. You might want to cut back on the Rasta life style a little bit.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 AM   #14
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Maybe except for 10 or so players, the majority of guys drafted by Shanahan that are on this roster just aren't that good?
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, McDaniels first thought when taking the job is to get rid of all the players on the team because their "Shahanan guys." More irrational BS backed up with nothing. Suddenly Barrett is some great talent, just ignore the fact he couldn't beat out guys like McCree and Manuel, who will be starting for what team next year? Thank you.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #16
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Considering just how similar he is to Bruton, I am guessing the two will fight it out in camp for the backup SS spot.

They are both superbly athletic, both work out extremely well and both lack instinct and cover skills. Barrett should have the upper hand with his 1 year in the NFL, on the other hand Bruton is a Mcdaniels selection and he might not be too keen on admitting that Shanahan did better in the 7th round than he did in the 4th. It is unknown wether Bruton is a good and willing special teamer and the best thing Barrett could do now is just go full steam at ST practice.

McDaniels Thought he was the best Gunner in the Draft.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #17
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Barrett = Garbage
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #18
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic

But not nauseatingly optimistic

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I think Nolan made the D choices. But it doesn't look good for Barrett's chances. He didn't look real great out there last year.
GeniusatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Barrett hopefully doesn't see the field over any of the new players...if he does we are in trouble. The guy was really bad last season. I hope he can make strides, but the product on the field last season was just tough to watch. Not that I blame the kid, most 6th-7th round safety's are expected to start, that was how bad we had it last season. He has the physical tools, now he needs to get tight with B Dawk and learn how to play smart.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Yeah, whats with this revisionist history that barrett was good? I remember him making one pick off a deflection, i remember him taking a terrible angle on d'angelo williams that led to a long TD run. He was a seventh round pick last year, i think we'll survive without him.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #21
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

All I know is we had the worst starting safeties in the league last year, and most of it Barrett was playing behind both of them.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
It is unknown wether Bruton is a good and willing special teamer and the best thing Barrett could do now is just go full steam at ST practice.
Thats probably Bruton's best immediate feature coming out of ND actually. He's a hell of a solid gunner.

I think we could keep both though. McDaniels is looking for guys who can have an impact on STs, that much is obvious, which makes sense because it doesn't take a lot of study to see just how horrible we were on coverage the last few years.

Hill and McBath both have some experience at CB and can play the nickel in a pinch if needed, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we go with one less corner to carry an extra safety.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #23
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Yeah, McDaniels first thought when taking the job is to get rid of all the players on the team because their "Shahanan guys." More irrational BS backed up with nothing. Suddenly Barrett is some great talent, just ignore the fact he couldn't beat out guys like McCree and Manuel, who will be starting for what team next year? Thank you.
Last year Shanahan admitted that Barrett should have played sooner. Also, its been observed by many that the previous coaches ignored what young players could offer in favor of veterans. That surfaced when Larsen and Woodyard did as well as they did.