The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Default Our Offense is set for years to come(except qb), and our D is better than last year.

Many of you hate this draft, but I can't understand why!

We took players that can make an impact right away, filled in gaps remaining in our offense, and made our defense better....Why all the hate?

We now have our franchise RB, something we have been lacking since portis left. (this will also make the job easier for Orton/Simms)

We have a stud FB/RB in hillis.

We have a very Good O-line

We got our blocking tight end.

We have above average recievers.

The best part about it, is most of them are young and we are set for years to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
We went 8-8 last year with the worst defense in the league.

We are deffinately better at Safety this year.

We are better at CB this year

We have a better D line this year (ayers should be good as a rookie, and has POTENTIAL to be a very very good player) and for those of you who are worried about the 3-4 and not having a NT....... i honestly think we are going to be playing 4-3 this year more than any of you anticipate.

Lb, is still our weak point. But getting rid of winborn, and niko helps. gives younger guys like woodyard and larson to play more.

our special teams are upgraded as well. Many of the guys we took in the draft were ST studs.

I agree we aren't "there" yet, and we have a brutal schedule on paper, but so does everyone else in the AFC west.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

go broncos!
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

How is our D better again? Our DL doesn't look much different than last year, and that's the problem. I could care less if we have 4 all-pro DB's playing behind them. If you can't pressure the QB or stop the run, it doesn't matter.

Nothing has changed on the defense.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
How is our D better again? Our DL doesn't look much different than last year, and that's the problem. I could care less if we have 4 all-pro DB's playing behind them. If you can't pressure the QB or stop the run, it doesn't matter.

I guess a new d coordinator, dline coach, lb coach, a 1st round pick at de and two- possibly three -new tackles is the same?(fields, powell and baker)
Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Good, positive thread, but .... "Above average recievers"?

B-Marsh and Royal .... above average?!

If the Cards trade Boldin, we might have the best pair of wideouts in the league by season's end.

Knowshon and Hillis together boggles my mind with JOY MUTHA****ERS!!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:

We didnt lose any good players on defense, and we added talent through the draft and FA
Also we got competent coaches.

On paper our defense improved.

Surely you can understand the god awful schemes we ran last year played a role in the suckage our defense displayed.
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Just thinking about losing Cutler now makes me sick to my stomach.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Good, positive thread, but .... "Above average recievers"?

B-Marsh and Royal .... above average?!

If the Cards trade Boldin, we might have the best pair of wideouts in the league by season's end.

Knowshon and Hillis together boggles my mind with JOY MUTHA****ERS!!
well..... they are above average. Neither is a Great one......i think marshall had potential to be great, but it seemed he really faded down the stretch.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
Just thinking about losing Cutler now makes me sick to my stomach.
We didnt "lose" him
He chose to leave
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

just think: If orton or simms works out, and we use next years draft on defense.....we could be a very very good team.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
We didnt "lose" him
He chose to leave
We him leaving makes me sick, just sucks man.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post
well..... they are above average. Neither is a Great one......i think marshall had potential to be great, but it seemed he really faded down the stretch.
he was also playing with a bum hip
Marshall is a great player, just needs to stay focused and avoid the off field drama
Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #14
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed orange and blue View Post
Many of you hate this draft, but I can't understand why!

We took players that can make an impact right away, filled in gaps remaining in our offense, and made our defense better....Why all the hate?

We now have our franchise RB, something we have been lacking since portis left. (this will also make the job easier for Orton/Simms)

We have a stud FB/RB in hillis.

We have a very Good O-line

We got our blocking tight end.

We have above average recievers.

The best part about it, is most of them are young and we are set for years to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
We went 8-8 last year with the worst defense in the league.

We are deffinately better at Safety this year.

We are better at CB this year

We have a better D line this year (ayers should be good as a rookie, and has POTENTIAL to be a very very good player) and for those of you who are worried about the 3-4 and not having a NT....... i honestly think we are going to be playing 4-3 this year more than any of you anticipate.

Lb, is still our weak point. But getting rid of winborn, and niko helps. gives younger guys like woodyard and larson to play more.

our special teams are upgraded as well. Many of the guys we took in the draft were ST studs.

I agree we aren't "there" yet, and we have a brutal schedule on paper, but so does everyone else in the AFC west.

Your offense ain't SET! Without a Franchise QB!!!! OOps! my bad, we had FRANCHISE QB and we traded him. Ummmmmm go figure.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:

i honestly don't see how you can say that...

TBO, our D couldn't be any worse than last year, but even with that said...CLEARLY our secondary is upgraded...our secondary last year was actually even worse than our D-line, and thats saying something...

adding Ayers and most importantly adding a DC that actually knows what he's doing already has the D better...

as bad as some of our players were, Slowik was the worst part (well that and our safeties)...

we'll get pressure with Dumervil and Ayers coming after the QB...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #16
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Our offense was already set for years before McDaniels arrived.

So let me ask you this:

Which is easier to find? A running back the quality of Moreno or a quarterback the quality of Cutler?

Another question:

Which position, QB or RB, is easier to plug a new guy into and get quick results? I'll give you a hint, it's the guy who needs to touch the ball on every snap.

While I'm excited to see how Moreno does, McDaniels didn't make our offense better. With the zone blocking scheme they have proven anyone can run in Denver. He took the scheme away and put in an "elite" running which will give the same results.

Again, I must remind you that the QB controversy in Denver is between Kyle Orton and Chris Simms... The latter of which, I believe, is now being paid more than we were paying Cutler (per year).

I'm hopeful, but it seems as though a lot of these moves are being made just so that McDaniels gets HIS guy in there.

Going to bed, don't bother replying with some stupid McD nut-hugger "you're not a fan" BS. That's just my opinion take it or leave it..

Here is one thing to be excited about, though.. In two years, or less, we might have the best running back in the AFC West.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #17
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post

Again, I must remind you that the QB controversy in Denver is between Kyle Orton and Chris Simms... The latter of which, I believe, is now being paid more than we were paying Cutler (per year).

I'm hopeful, but it seems as though a lot of these moves are being made just so that McDaniels gets HIS guy in there.

Going to bed, don't bother replying with some stupid McD nut-hugger "you're not a fan" BS. That's just my opinion take it or leave it..

Here is one thing to be excited about, though.. In two years, or less, we might have the best running back in the AFC West.

I think this is an important thread, and it helps put things in perspective for me (maybe it was obvious to everyone else). You're right, even though we failed to addressed the D's front 7 as aggressively as we wanted to, the players we've brought in via FA (and just as importantly, the players we let depart) should automatically at the very least improve our defense. Scrapping the 10 yard cushions for the WRs should be VERY beneficial, and a big part of that is the 2 higher quality safeties we got in FA, and the 3 DBs we drafted.

The coaching staff McD put together looks phenomenal on paper--Nolan is known for his ability to develop LBs, and on top of that the Raider's LB coach was responsible for developing some studs in the last couple of years. Can't say too much about our new secondary coach, but I think that SD's D-line coach has to be an improvement over what our guys had been receiving the last 2 years.

All in all, the Defense should be better.

Still, it's hard not to wonder what could have been if Cutler could have been retained. Cuter+this draft+improved Defense would have been amazing. We'll see what Orton/Simms can do to keep this team together.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #18
prodigalson139
Rookie

With all the hysteria of not addressing the front 7, many people have lost perspective on the new coaching aspect of the new regime. I loved Mike Shanahan, but the defenses he has fielded, save a few stretches of exceptional play (start of 2006 season for example), were ABSOLUTELY terrible. From the outside looking in the coaches were not effective teachers. It seemed that they could not draw out talent and encourage actual growth as a football player.

This is what I think will be the 'X' factor in this team. I am pretty confident that the new coaches (MC D brought in teachers, not yes men) will work hard to instill the qualities deemed important to the new regime (tough, smart, physical, football players who can play under pressure - all of this was noticeably absent for the majority of players at the TALE END of Shanahan's regime).

I, for one am at least excited about the overall direction and will give the new regime at least some time before I start throwing spears.
prodigalson139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Dont ever assume anything is "set" for years to come with McDaniels. We may have a great collection of young talent on offense, but never underestimate his ability to screw shlt up.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #20
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Dont ever assume anything is "set" for years to come with McDaniels. We may have a great collection of young talent on offense, but never underestimate his ability to screw shlt up.
aw jeez....

not this shlt again.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #21
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
aw jeez....

not this shlt again.
well, sorry but I'm done getting excited about this shanahan-less team till they show me something I like. I'll always watch and root, but as far as excitement, nada.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #22
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post

Another question:

Which position, QB or RB, is easier to plug a new guy into and get quick results? I'll give you a hint, it's the guy who needs to touch the ball on every snap.

THE CENTER!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #23
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Here is an interesting discussion about Robert Ayers wher Mayock says he has seen enough tape and is convinced Ayers will be the best defensive player in 3 years.

http://http://www.nfl.com/videos?vid...000d5d80fad7f4
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #24
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
well, sorry but I'm done getting excited about this shanahan-less team till they show me something I like. I'll always watch and root, but as far as excitement, nada.
it's april dude....april. What excitement can you expect now?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #25
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
i honestly don't see how you can say that...

TBO, our D couldn't be any worse than last year, but even with that said...CLEARLY our secondary is upgraded...our secondary last year was actually even worse than our D-line, and thats saying something...

adding Ayers and most importantly adding a DC that actually knows what he's doing already has the D better...

as bad as some of our players were, Slowik was the worst part (well that and our safeties)...

we'll get pressure with Dumervil and Ayers coming after the QB...
So you think coaching and adding a 3-4 rookie OLB is going to shore up the defense?

How is Dawkins and Bailey any different than say Lynch and Bailey?

Our DL was trash before Shanahan got fired. It's trash now after McD's first draft. Talk up the coaching angle all you want, but the fact remains our front 7 is horrible, espcially along the DL.

How many of our front 7 projected starters would be starting on other teams? Once you answer that question, it becomes crystal clear how bad this defense really is.

I don't see any improvement from our defense this year based on what we have right now.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote