The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Default McGAMBLER roles the dice with Denvers Franchise

On the trade of next year's first-round pick, I asked if McDaniels tried to get Seattle to accept whichever turns out to be the later of the two first-round picks Denver's or Chicago's that the Broncos controlled at the time.

"There was a little discussion about that, but we agreed that the pick could be ours," he said. "After talking it through with the other team, we felt like, that's OK, we'll roll the dice."
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

I'm still going to stand by him but why do it? So much of a risk!!!
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, this was really inexcusable, whether it was because Pat doesnt want to pay a guy or because Seattle took advantage of Il Duce. If it was to save cost next year, then Pat needs to cash out and sell the team. He's sold us out. If its at McDaniels feet, this is a shining example of why its a good idea to have a legitimate GM who can stand up to the whims of a novice head coach that is acting out of self-interest.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
DrFate
Lord of Order

I know the McDaniels Militia will hit this thread in moments - but I felt the same way as the OP. It was like watching a high school kid play fantasy football. Trade all these picks to move up to get players. It is worriesome.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Yeah, this was really inexcusable, whether it was because Pat doesnt want to pay a guy or because Seattle took advantage of Il Duce. If it was to save cost next year, then Pat needs to cash out and sell the team. He's sold us out. If its at McDaniels feet, this is a shining example of why its a good idea to have a legitimate GM who can stand up to the whims of a novice head coach that is acting out of self-interest.
Quit being a moron. It doesn't matter who the owner is...you can't spend what you don't have. Worst case senario they are both top ten picks and then what...100 million in signing bonus for two guys that have never ever played an NFL down? GTFOH. IT was a good move, because the chances of dumping a top ten pick or even worse...a top 5 pick is next to impossible. And next years draft will be slight better than this one, plus the year is uncapped.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
And next years draft will be slight better than this one, plus the year is uncapped.
This is a point no one (else) has brought up. The DP article implied that trading away the #1 in '10 was somewhat motivated by $$$, as well as not getting more into the Sanchez sweepstakes. I wonder how much of a concern the uncapped year is to owners like Bowlen?
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Sold us out??
Christ, do you ever stop to think?
You're a bean counter, haven't you noticed there is a world wide recession going on??
Of course they were trying to save money. Rookie contracts are out of control.
A rookie QB, who doesn't excite a lot of people gets the biggest guarantee ($41 million) in NFL history.
Naturally, a lot of owners want to stay away from top 10 picks.....and multiple 1st rounders..... they are cost prohibitive and causing game tickets to spiral out of control during a time when most people are cutting back.
Do you actually go to NFL games, or just come here to whine and complain??
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Quit being a moron. It doesn't matter who the owner is...you can't spend what you don't have. Worst case senario they are both top ten picks and then what...100 million in signing bonus for two guys that have never ever played an NFL down? GTFOH. IT was a good move, because the chances of dumping a top ten pick or even worse...a top 5 pick is next to impossible. And next years draft will be slight better than this one, plus the year is uncapped.
No, knucklehead. There are too many reasons why youd want to have both picks going into next years draft. If both picks are in the teens or later, it could give us the ammo to move up and take the NT we need, if we need one. But now we dont have that flexibility. And youre "you cant spend what you dont have" comment is so inane, its retarded. WTF.

BTW, I just saw that Anita Hill has once again posted after me. I wonder if he realizes I have him on ignore?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Do you actually go to NFL games, or just come here to whine and complain??
He just whines, complains and hopes the team sandbags in the second half of the season in order to move up in the draft. A real douche.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Moss is a failed 1st round pick, so essentially we didn't have a 1st round pick the year he was drafted. The franchise, though not being helped, was ruined? People need to stop being do dramatic. Watch too many soap operas/
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
No, knucklehead. There are too many reasons why youd want to have both picks going into next years draft. If both picks are in the teens or later, it could give us the ammo to move up and take the NT we need, if we need one. But now we dont have that flexibility. And youre "you cant spend what you dont have" comment is so inane, its retarded. WTF.

BTW, I just saw that Anita Hill has once again posted after me. I wonder if he realizes I have him on ignore?
We don't need a high round nose tackle that takes 3 years to even be able to play the gmae. We need a veteran one.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler

I loved the draft (although more D would have been nice) we got really good players, with high character, and leaders. We might end up with 2-4 of the first 5 picks starting this year. Moreno starts, Ayers starts, Smith starts at nick maybe even 2nd DB, and Mcbath might push to start.

If we walk away with 2-4 starters how can you be mad about the draft. We got 2 starters out of all of our draft last year (3 if you count hills). Could almost double that in 2 rnds this year.
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer

The bashing of this move is going to look pretty stupid when the Broncos win the division and the Bears scuffle to a roughly .500 season behind an inconsistent Cutler.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #14
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Moss is a failed 1st round pick, so essentially we didn't have a 1st round pick the year he was drafted. The franchise, though not being helped, was ruined? People need to stop being do dramatic. Watch too many soap operas/
I know really. half of first round picks don't amount to much of anything any. I mean look at all the first round busts we've had since 1998. Moss, nash, Foster, Leslie was a semi bust, Middlebrooks, o'neill. That's 6 out of 10. D.J. Williams is only average. Only clady, Cutler and Al wilson have made much of an impact.
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
Shoemaker
A Lurker No More

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Just out of curiosity, for those people deriding McDaniels for this move, imagine if he had done the opposite. What if he had given Seattle the Bears pick instead of ours, like so many people here seem to have wanted him to do?

What kind of message does that send to the team? More or less saying that "Oh, by the way guys, I'm pretty sure we're going to do worse than the Bears this year. I've made this decision before we even have training camp." I'm sure that would have been very inspiring to both the veterans and the newly drafted rookies, the coach basically admitting that he doesn't have much confidence in the team.

Do you think that maybe McDaniels considered this, and decided to show some confidence in his team and send them a positive message while taking the risk that maybe the Bears will do better than us next year? I think some people are considering that to be a certainty already, which is interesting.

As an aside, I really can't shake this feeling that if McDaniels HAD given up the Bears pick instead of our own, his most vocal critics on this board when have derided him for undermining his team and not sending them the right message.
Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoemaker View Post
Just out of curiosity, for those people deriding McDaniels for this move, imagine if he had done the opposite. What if he had given Seattle the Bears pick instead of ours, like so many people here seem to have wanted him to do?

What kind of message does that send to the team? More or less saying that "Oh, by the way guys, I'm pretty sure we're going to do worse than the Bears this year. I've made this decision before we even have training camp." I'm sure that would have been very inspiring to both the veterans and the newly drafted rookies, the coach basically admitting that he doesn't have much confidence in the team.

Do you think that maybe McDaniels considered this, and decided to show some confidence in his team and send them a positive message while taking the risk that maybe the Bears will do better than us next year? I think some people are considering that to be a certainty already, which is interesting.

As an aside, I really can't shake this feeling that if McDaniels HAD given up the Bears pick instead of our own, his most vocal critics on this board when have derided him for undermining his team and not sending them the right message.
A good point i havent been seeing made. This whole thread is asinine. How is trading one pick for another gambling with the future of the denver broncos. If they had this guy as a top 15 pick, then its a choice they made. Is next years first rounder guarenteed to be a hall of famer?
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #17
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

With as many draft busts that Shanahan gave us in the 1st through 3rd rounds, you'd think people would get the idea by now that the draft has no guarantees regardless of round. But would rather b**** anyway. Some are only happy when complaining.

"They should have drafted a DL. I don't care if they didn't like them as much." Sounds stupid to me, but whatever.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
He just whines, complains and hopes the team sandbags in the second half of the season in order to move up in the draft. A real douche.
Don't call me a douche bag ,your the one who a douche bag. You support a guy who tried to trade our Franchise Qb and lied to every Bronco fan. Then traded our Franchise given the Broncos no chance to win a super bowl in the next 10 years. Traded away a possible top 10 pick and says he decided to gamble. I bet you voted for George Bush twice, then still voted for McCain after Bush our country into the greatest economic crisis scene the great depression.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
Don't call me a douche bag ,your the one who a douche bag. You support a guy who tried to trade our Franchise Qb and lied to every Bronco fan. Then traded our Franchise given the Broncos no chance to win a super bowl in the next 10 years. Traded away a possible top 10 pick and says he decided to gamble. I bet you voted for George Bush twice, then still voted for McCain after Bush our country into the greatest economic crisis scene the great depression.
You make me embarrassed to be left wing
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #20
Shoemaker
A Lurker No More

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Oh jeez, let's not start mixing football and politics. That never ends up well.
Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #21
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Honest to God, I stop reading any post that has a cute McSomething name

it is just old, and I can already gauge the type of post it will be
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #22
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoemaker View Post
Oh jeez, let's not start mixing football and politics. That never ends up well.
Your right we should never mixed politics and football. I was just joking. I really though Bush was a hell of a president. I wish they would chance the constitution so he could run again.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #23
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
Your right we should never mixed politics and football. I was just joking. I really though Bush was a hell of a president. I wish they would chance the constitution so he could run again.

Or maybe President Obama can create a crisis to endow himself with president for life powers. Yes We Can! Good stuff...

Anyways...what was we talkin abouts?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #24
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbmasterflash View Post
Honest to God, I stop reading any post that has a cute McSomething name

it is just old, and I can already gauge the type of post it will be
[B]Me too[B]
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #25
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
The bashing of this move is going to look pretty stupid when the Broncos win the division and the Bears scuffle to a roughly .500 season behind an inconsistent Cutler.
ROFL, you are dumb.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote