The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden
Default Broncos have signed 3 or 4 Defensive Front 7 guys that can make our final roster

Almost everyone on this board was whining about the Broncos ignoring their needs in the front 7. McDaniels simply stuck to his board and drafted the right way. Looking at who we have brought in, I see some real nice impact players. Two websites that have broken down positional rankings specific to the 3-4 defense would attest to this. The National Football Post and Draft Daddy:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...s-3-4-defense/
http://draftdaddy.com/ranks/top10_DT.htm

Chris Baker, NT, Hampton - #4 NT NFP, #3 NT Draft Daddy
- Both Ranked Baker higher as a NT than:
- Terrance Knighton, Temple - 72nd pick (3rd Round)
- Roy Miller, Texas - 81st Pick (3rd Round)
- Vaughn Martin, W Ontario - 113th Pick (4th Round)
- Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman - 115th Pick (4th round)
- Terrance Taylor, Michigan - 136th Pick (4th Round)
- Myron Pryor, Kentucky - 207th Pick (6th Round)

Everette Pedescleaux, DE, Northern Iowa - #5 3-4 DE NFP, #6 Draft Daddy
- Ranked higher as a 3-4 DE than:
- Matt Shaughnessy, Wisconsin - 71st Pick (3rd Round)
- Kyle Moore, USC - 117th Pick (4th Round)

Lee Robinson, OLB, Alcorn St - #6 3-4 OLB NFP
- Ranked higher as a 3-4 OLB than:
- Cody Brown, UConn - 63rd Pick (2nd Round)
- Victor Butler, Oregon St - 110th Pick (4th Round)
- Slade Norris, Oregon St - 126th Pick (4th Round)

Rulon Davis, DE, California - #8 3-4 DE Draft Daddy

Then another guy we signed that I am excited about is Domonique Johnson the cornerback out of Jackson State. He is a big, athletic corner with some nice ball skills. To me he's a poor man's Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie. ESPN Scout's Inc has him ranked ahead of these corners that were drafted:
- Bradley Fletcher, Iowa - 66th Pick (3rd Round)
- Derek Cox, William & Mary - 73rd Pick (3rd Round)
- William Middleton, Furman - 138th Pick (5th Round)
- Joe Burnett, UCF - 168th Pick (5th Round)

I think Domonique Johnson has a shot to make the roster as well, possibly beating out both Josh Bell and Jack Williams. He fits Mike Nolan's defense much better than these two and could see the field in our dime package.

Chris Baker and Everette Pedescleaux have a real good chance to make the team, with Rulon Davis a fairly solid chance as well. In Lee Robinson I could definitely see this guy beating out Tim Crowder at OLB. I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team over Jarvis Moss (hopefully I'm wrong about that).
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The UDFA signings have definitely helped settle my nerves a bit more regarding our D-Line depth.

All in all I'm happy enough with the players we've added this weekend.

Moreno's addition will push the O back into the upper echelons of the NFL rankings after the loss of Cutler, while Ayers has the potential to develop into a real playmaker and we've added a lot of talent to what was an absolutely deplorable secondary. We've also added a developmental QB and brought in some guys that should really help us on Special Teams.

Ideally we could have added more D-Line talent on Day 1, and I was surprised we didn't take Brace with our first second rounder. But I'm not overly upset about that.

My one major gripe is that trading for Alphonso may end up costing us a shot at Terrence Cody next year, something we may really end up regretting.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You guys are idiots. Marcus Thomas has more starts than all of our other DL combined. Yeah, signing UDFA is the answer. Ok.

You ever stop to wonder why our DL has been the worst in the NFL over the last decade?
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
You guys are idiots. Marcus Thomas has more starts than all of our other DL combined. Yeah, signing UDFA is the answer. Ok.

You ever stop to wonder why our DL has been the worst in the NFL over the last decade?
Because when we drafted DL we reached on lesser talent, and then kept sending them out on the field trying to ignore the fact that they were busts?

Thats what we've done recently anyways.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:26 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

If there wasn't better talent in the draft then there just wasn't better talent in the draft. That simple.

I've got some sleep. Feel good about most of the picks. Still DO NOT feel good about giving up so much value for #37 (Alphonso Smith). I like that McD wants to get the ball back and force some turnovers. I like what I read from Lex last night (even if it was posted initially by someone else) about the safeties being the main reason our CBs played 10 yard cushions. We addressed that problem...or at least I hope we did!!!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:31 AM   #6
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

BTW, Chris Baker would have made me happy in the 4th round. To get him as a UDFA is certainly a big coup for McD.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Because when we drafted DL we reached on lesser talent, and then kept sending them out on the field trying to ignore the fact that they were busts?

and trading first round picks for CB's really helps huh? that's a little more recent history for you.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 AM   #8
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:

And we sent them out there to be coached by a man who just yelled at his players and never taught them anything.

Personally, I lay the DL failures in Burney's lap. He'd been here since 2002 and the only DL that developed in that time (Dumervil) was a great technician coming out of college.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 AM   #9
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So basically this thread is touting UDFA that can come in and beat our veteran DL out for jobs? Yeah, sounds like the foundation of a great DL for years to come.

Good thing we drafted 3 DB's in the draft to compliment these guys huh? Man I was getting worried we were over stocked on DL talent to support all those DB's we need to get our defense over the hump of being the worst in the league.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:26 AM   #10
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
So basically this thread is touting UDFA that can come in and beat our veteran DL out for jobs? Yeah, sounds like the foundation of a great DL for years to come.

Good thing we drafted 3 DB's in the draft to compliment these guys huh? Man I was getting worried we were over stocked on DL talent to support all those DB's we need to get our defense over the hump of being the worst in the league.
Pat Williams was undrafted and look at him now. Defensive lineman take a couple years to develop anyway. If we would have drafted some in the 2-4th round, they still would have taken several years to make an impact. People were wanting to draft Baker in the 4th or 5th and now we get him as an UFA. Maybe he makes a Woodyard impact.

Regarding the 1st rounder for Smith. If he ends up being a starter for us, then that is a pick better spent than on the likes of Moss, O'Neal, Middlebrooks, Lelie, etc...
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 AM   #11
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:

Drek hits the nail on the head again but no some ****nuggets who've been on this site for years still want the likes of Gilbert, Moala, Everette Brown, Orakpo when not one of the ****ers ended up on a 3-4 team.

That must mean all the 3-4 HC's are idiots

As a side note McDaniels actually said if we could incorporate a swimming pool around the halfway line he'd have considered drafting the Youtube kid.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #12
socalorado
Ring of Famer

DEN signed Baker? That is really good news.
Honestly, from what ive read, this guy really could become a solid player.
Small scholl prospect who got overlooked.
Also, i dont think Josh Bell just gets beat out.
I think if there was a pass rush or some serious pressure on the QB, Bell is a solid starter. he played really well condidering. I think Hes a keeper.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #13
uplink
Ring of Famer

Nice thread with alot of good info, thanks
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #14
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, the Broncos should draft mediocre DL, which they have done plenty the last 10 years to satisfy idiot fans who think they should keep doing that.

Looks like some good signings to me. Guys who figured to be drafted and weren't. But the idiots who claim this isn't the way to go would have been happy if the Broncos had drafted these guys instead of waiting for them to go undrafted. Yeah, really makes sense here.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Drek hits the nail on the head again but no some ****nuggets who've been on this site for years still want the likes of Gilbert, Moala, Everette Brown, Orakpo when not one of the ****ers ended up on a 3-4 team.

As a side note McDaniels actually said if we could incorporate a swimming pool around the halfway line he'd have considered drafting the Youtube kid.
Apparently so. See, some guy who writes a blog things Gilbert has tons of upside so all these teams must be completely clueless to pass on him. I mean ****, have you seen him jump out of the pool? Thats more impressive than back flips right there.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #16
uplink
Ring of Famer

not drafting afront 7 defensive players probably helped in the bargaining to
get some of these 3-4 prospects to sign. So it might work out best in the long run.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #17
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So making the move to get Alphonso Smith was "bad value", but drafting DL who ended up going undrafted would have been good value? Makes sense.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

This is ridiculous. There was plenty of reason Baker was NOT drafted. He got kicked off the Football team at Penn State, played marginally at a small school after that, and declared early when everyone said he needed another year to be ready. Yes, he is a big body. So freaking what? That does not make a DL!

Pedescleaux is a solid pick, but he has about zero chance of playing next year IMHO. Dude was not even a STARTER at a small school! He has a frame worth developing as a UDFA, but this is another "expert" trying to hit a home run mention.

Lee Robinson is another developmental guy who lacks any real change of direction skills. MUST play in a 3-4 system and will only be valuable inside a small area.

Dominique Johnson might be the best of the bunch. He has the skills, just not the savy. He needs reps and might be a ST'er right away.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #19
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:

McD was on TV last night and when Vic asked him about not drafting front seven he wnt to the "Well we resigned Kenny Peterson and Darrell Reid" card to justify picking only one DLineman.

and we couldn't even get a 7th for Moss. Moss is toast

Should have traded the 2 3rds for a '10 2nd like NE did that would have soften the blow of the A Smith trade.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #20
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
This is ridiculous. There was plenty of reason Baker was NOT drafted. He got kicked off the Football team at Penn State, played marginally at a small school after that, and declared early when everyone said he needed another year to be ready. Yes, he is a big body. So freaking what? That does not make a DL!

Pedescleaux is a solid pick, but he has about zero chance of playing next year IMHO. Dude was not even a STARTER at a small school! He has a frame worth developing as a UDFA, but this is another "expert" trying to hit a home run mention.

Lee Robinson is another developmental guy who lacks any real change of direction skills. MUST play in a 3-4 system and will only be valuable inside a small area.

Dominique Johnson might be the best of the bunch. He has the skills, just not the savy. He needs reps and might be a ST'er right away.
And that about wraps it up.......smoke em if you got em.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #21
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
If there wasn't better talent in the draft then there just wasn't better talent in the draft. That simple.

I've got some sleep. Feel good about most of the picks. Still DO NOT feel good about giving up so much value for #37 (Alphonso Smith). I like that McD wants to get the ball back and force some turnovers. I like what I read from Lex last night (even if it was posted initially by someone else) about the safeties being the main reason our CBs played 10 yard cushions. We addressed that problem...or at least I hope we did!!!
I agree. One thing I have to hand to McDaniels, at least the safety position was FINALLY addressed. That makes me very happy.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post

You might have a better point here if it weren't for the fact that we just drafted a guy who ALSO doesn't fit the 3-4 defense and fits within the group you just mentioned. Ayers at 272 is to small to play the DE spot and to slow for the OLB spot. He's just as much a hybrid, if not more so...than Orapko, at least in a 3-4 defense. He's 10 pounds bigger but nowhere near as strong or fast. Can he play in this defense? Maybe so...but he's certainly no more qualified based on what he did at the combine or in college, where he basically showed up part of his senior year and for the Senior Bowl and put up very mediocre combine results. Lots of people think he's a one year wonder.

Since you're suggesting the other guys were unfit for the 3-4, upon what basis is Ayers more fit?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #23
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post

Well, to be fair, Baker did flash as a Sophomore while at Penn State. Assuming he had avoided brawling, and built on his Sophmore season, he might have been a very high draft selection in this weak DT draft. I don't think its really fair to say he was marginal at Hampton. He had a very good season playing as a 5 Tech. UCONN is in that conference as well and nobody dings those players for being successful at a "small school".

But you are right in that Baker is a risk. From my research, I've concluded, personally, that he has shown remorse for his problems at Penn State, and at least one of which I do not fault him for. And his teammates at Hampton liked him, and his coach thought he was a hard worker.

Maybe after Penn State and not getting drafted, this guy is humbled enough to just let his talent show. Again, as a DT at Penn State as a Sophomore playing part time, he was very impressive. His body of work last year at Hampton as a 5-Tech is very impressive, especially since he was probably receiving all the attention from the opposing blocking schemes.

I think we can afford to have some optimism here. I don't understand why it needs to be curbed or crushed by others.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #24
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Well, to be fair, Baker did flash a Sophomore while at Penn State. .
This is how I read this at first.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #25
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:

and if Shanahan got 10 years worth of grace to make that mistake over and over and over - McDaniel's certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt his first year.
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote