The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which aspect of the draft do you dislike?
Nothing. I'm happy with the way the draft went. 5 7.25%
The value we got on trades. I'm fine with the players, but not with what we paid to pick them. 58 84.06%
The positions we picked. We needed to address the front 7 (etc.)_ 20 28.99%
The players we picked. I dislike the for their skillset, character, etc. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Which aspect of our draft do you have a problem with?

A lot of people have been complaining about the draft. But here's my question, what about it do you dislike? Poll coming.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
fido
Perennial Pro-bowler

Lack of front 7 .. almost laughable in a way.... very shannyesque
fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

My problem is with the value. I like all of the guys we got. Great character. Great skillset. Seem to jive with the type of players McDaniels is looking for, and I certainly assume their playing style fits the roles that McDaniels and the position coaches need filled.

This is why I'm ok with the areas addressed. If McD really didn't think, at each specific pick, that the front 7 players available at that point fit what he wants to do, then don't pick them. As he said, "we are not looking to draft players and cut them, especially early on. If the player is not going to come in and compete with someone on our roster, then we are going to go in a different direction at another position, and that is what we did the entire draft." That's exactly the point. There's a high bust factor for front 7 guys, and if they don't fit the mold of what you want to do, then find a player who will help your team. I like the UDFA lineman we've picked up. No risk, so if the guy isn't what you're looking for, you lose nothing.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

My problem is the idiot fans who think they know the draft stunk and not only have they not seen the players drafted play an NFL game, but didn't even seem them play in college either.

Plus, the players whining they didn't take, namely DL, the Broncos just signed a few as undrafted players.

So the same ones complaining about "value" in regards to the Alphonso Smith deal, would be happy they took guys in the middle of the draft who no one else would have taken at all? That's value?

Again, sense around here is low.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

For those picking the "value" option, was it just the trade up for Alphonso Smith, or fif you hate all of the trades?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I don't mind the players we took. I think we had a great draft - it's just what we gave up. I didn't like giving up a 1st for Alphonso Smith, and I didn't like trading two 3rds for Quinn.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I'm upset about value in all of our trades. It's like teams knew we had amateurs so they just used us. Why did we have to give up both our picks in the 3rd rd? The pick we got was the last one in the 2nd rd. That pick IMO was not worth what we gave them.

I think this really has a lot to do with the talent that we evaluated. We didn't evaluate enough! In Mcdaniels presser he said they didn't have a lot of names on their draft board. So they gave up a lot to get the players left. This speaks of stupidity on bowlens part to get rid of the goodmans when he did.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Value. We gave up too much for the CB (Smith) and the TE (Quinn). I don't necessarily have a quibble with either player (although I think Quinn would have been available later) but don't like giving up future picks, particularly the 1 for Smith. And if we didn't specify that it's the later 1, which I have a feeling we didn't, I'm going to be even less happy about it.

All that said, I like Moreno and Ayers a lot.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'm mostly upset with that first rounder given up and the value of the TE, very puzzling. But we'll see if we have a first round DB. I am just very happy that we finally have addressed the safety position.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

A first for Smith when he is likely available later in the 2nd and the two thirds for the TE I have never heard of. Hopefully he is good. Goodbye Scheffler?
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

What we paid. We really overpaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
A first for Smith when he is likely available later in the 2nd and the two thirds for the TE I have never heard of. Hopefully he is good. Goodbye Scheffler?
Scheff's gone. He has one year left and they'll try to trade him because they aren't re-signing him.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think it is a very important point that, with 42 votes in, no one dislikes any of the players. Hopefully McDaniels can gain a better understanding of the value of draft picks and how to maneuver, but you certainly can't fault his strategy. He had a list of his guys, all of whom we seem to agree we like, and he went out and got them.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Value. Like the picks, like the players, understand that simply drafting any old DLineman won't get us where we need to get. But I don't like the value we gave up.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Actually, this struck me very much like a Shanny draft. Love the Moreno pick. Guarded, but generally okay with the Ayers pick. After that it's one big WTF?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

The scariest thing about it to me is giving up our #1 next year in order to get Alphonso Smith. That's a real gamble because if the wheels come off that could be a very, very high pick.

If they really wanted Smith that badly, I have to think that there were other, less radical ways to get him.

Other than that, I'm willing to assume they knew exactly what they were doing.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Scheff's gone. He has one year left and they'll try to trade him because they aren't re-signing him.
Yep. And the funny thing is the Broncos probably need ANOTHER blocking TE for the 3 TE sets. I don't remember if Putz is all that of an effective blocker.

Maybe they can talk Mustard out of retirement!
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #17
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

The positions we picked. We needed to address the line in either FA or the draft. If we didn't have multiple DL candidates we were looking at in the draft, why didn't we move on a NT or DE in free agency? From what I am gathering through research Smith is a very good CB, but if Champ looks pedestrian behind our line, how is it possible Smith will look any good? BPA is a great concept, but everything should be taken in moderation. Even water will kill you if you drink enough of it.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

All the choices contradict each other, so how can this poll be multi-choice? The only two choices you can pick together are C and D. Some people are voting for situations that cancel each other out. Either you're happy with the positions we picked (but not the price), or you're not happy with the positions, or your happy with everything.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #19
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
For those picking the "value" option, was it just the trade up for Alphonso Smith, or fif you hate all of the trades?
Smith and Quinn. Smith could have EASILY been gotten by packaging a 2 and a 4 or 5. Quinn could have been gotten for a 3 and a 5 or 6.

It isn't that Smith is a bum or Quinn is a bum. It is these are very boom/bust type players that we paid A PREMIUM to get. The trade to get Smith is beyond my ability to comprehend. Smith is very small and not all that fast. If he becomes a Pro Bowl type corner and the Broncos are around 8-8 or better next year, it looks OK. If Smith becomes a nickel player (or worse) and the Broncos are in the top 10, it will be THE story of next year's draft.

All of McDaniel's love children on this board kept saying 'moving Cutler to improve the defense is great!' He didn't really address the defense. Now they want to point to UDFA moves. Yeah - that's the ticket.

They also told me 'we got all these great picks for Cutler! Booya!' - the picks became Ayers, Smith, and half of Quinn. Is that 3 starters? Is that 2 guys that only play on third-and-long and a TE who covers punts?

The draft is about VALUE. It was a consensus that this was a weaker draft and that 2010 was a stronger draft. Yet the Broncos were more than happy to give up positions in a stronger draft to get players in a weaker draft. I'm not sure how that makes sense. Even McDaniels said this draft wasn't that deep in players that fit 'the system'.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #20
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I chose the draft pick cost of it but close 2nd was not addressing the line. Maybe Moreno becomes the biggest stud in the backfield (does this mean McDaniels is afraid of Orton's throwing ability?), but if we are a bottom 10 team, we gave up a huge draft pick for a Cornerback. First pick should have been up front. If those that think there was not a good enough player to draft, why didnt we have a trade planned with a team that had a stud on the DL for the 12th or 18th pick? We had all offseason to work that out and especially put it in place if we didnt like what was in the draft.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Like a lot of people on here my major criticism with this draft lies with the 1st rounder we gave up to bring in a undersized CB that fell to the 2nd round of the draft. Its not that I don't think he will be a good player, I like the comparison to the late Darrent Williams. However, even if he is the next Darrent Williams, does that make him worth a potentially high first round pick, I'm not so sure.

Outside of that I think we got some pretty good talent. I'm a little iffy on the TE but I'll wait and see how the TE situation settles out this year before I judge that pick.
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #22
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Put me down for the price paid to pick players. I thought McD lost his focus on that aspect.
broncobum6162 is offline   Reply With Quote