The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Polster60
Solid Starter

Default High character?!?!?!?

I know all about the 100 post thing, but I just felt that it was worth stating that I think this draft is high quality. When watching the broncos interviews with the first day draftees, did anyone get the feeling that Alphonso Smith = this years eddie royal? I love this kid already!!! Nothing but smiles and class. I love his attitude!
Also it sounds like all the draft picks are genuinely excited to be playing not just for the broncos, but for eachother!!! Awesome
Polster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The last two drafts have been high quality character guys, I swear Eddie is saving puppies on his off days!

EDIT: oh yeah, 100 post rule
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

What the heck is up with all the "high character" claims in here ... I don't see a criminal element, but I don't exactly see a bunch of angels, either.

Look close, I'll bet the people talking about the "high character" of this draft are uniformly Josh supporters, fishing for a reason why.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Only one of our guys has a questionable past, and he was a street free agent. That was also a while back, so I'm guessing the staff wants to see if he's got his head screwed on correctly.

Other than that, it's quite obvious that high character, cerebral players are important to the new staff. Say what you want about the Patriots, but they've had more good character players than bad over the years, and clearly, a pretty smart football team.

You want nasty guys out there, but you don't want stupid thugs. I like the direction we're going with these picks.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
What the heck is up with all the "high character" claims in here ... I don't see a criminal element, but I don't exactly see a bunch of angels, either.

Look close, I'll bet the people talking about the "high character" of this draft are uniformly Josh supporters, fishing for a reason why.
No one is fishing. Those words came right from the coach's mouth, and most of the scouting reports on these guys seem to jive with that. (With one exception, that I can see.)

A lot of team-leader types. Not a bad thing.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
Polster60
Solid Starter

Buff it's not about us trying to look at McD's words and/or actions and coming to this constructed self created view of the players we just drafted. I just get a good feeling when you see these guys talking to local media who they have never met before and not just being able to handle it adequately, but handling it professionally and personalibly. Watch Alphonso Smith and tell me that you think this guy is only a high character guy because we have the McD colored sun glasses on!!!

Folks, this board has gone from being full of great football conversations, to nothing more than a cest pool full of accusations geared towards other fans. And for what reason We all may have sun glasses on, but some of ours are just tinted more heavily than others. Can we not talk about being excited about a kid that seems to be all class?? A hardworker? A good guy?? A student of the game A player that loves the game of football as much as you or me Last time I checked those were the key attributes that many fans wanted in a football player that played for their team!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I don't know any of these kids so I can't comment on character. I do know some kids who get in trouble are better kids then the ones who don't. Some kids just so sneaky they don't get caught. Those are the scariest ones of all because they have let to learn a lesson.

I do think Smith most likely to be this yrs Eddie Royal though. Most of the board hated the pick, but the kid is talented and seems like a baller. Sounds like Eddie Royal to me.

I know a couple gamblers who bet a lot. I'm talking 3-4 grand a week or more. They all say they think Moreno a stud, Ayers maybe, but Alphonso Smith a stud. I appreciate these guys because they seriously watch sports like junkies. College, pros, football, baseball, basketball you name it. That's all they do.

Broncos may get 3-4 starters from this draft, and it could end up one of the better ones.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
Polster60
Solid Starter

Also, yeah I know about the 100 post thing!! but honestly I have come here for close to 3-4 years looking for great insight from many of the current posters. I love this place, just don't post often. This has been a difficult offseason, but after this draft I have some hope because in about 3 months we will be seeing what this team is capable of.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I have a source that told me he was witness to Knowshon jaywalking
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 AM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
No one is fishing. Those words came right from the coach's mouth, and most of the scouting reports on these guys seem to jive with that. (With one exception, that I can see.)

A lot of team-leader types. Not a bad thing.
I'll give you Alphonso Smith, he seems like a real high character guy. And McKinley the same ... kid reminds me of Rod Smith (11 pounds lighter).

I don't see any bad seeds, but these guys don't seem like choirboys either

For the price we paid, that Quinn kid better be volunteering is soup kitchens three days a week, I tell you that.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:11 AM   #11
Elway777
Ring of Famer

The Broncos just signed Chis Baker . The Broncos might reget signing him after he goes manic and kills everybody on the team after they cut him.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #12
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polster60 View Post
Buff it's not about us trying to look at McD's words and/or actions and coming to this constructed self created view of the players we just drafted. I just get a good feeling when you see these guys talking to local media who they have never met before and not just being able to handle it adequately, but handling it professionally and personalibly. Watch Alphonso Smith and tell me that you think this guy is only a high character guy because we have the McD colored sun glasses on!!!
Good point, yes, Alphonso Smith looks like a seriously high character guy ... kid reminds me of D-Will (a tenth of a second slower).
Old 04-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #13
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Robert Ayers was arrested for aggrevated assault and suspended from the Tennessee Vol team in 2005.

http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fb...865_9687-1.jpg
"I've got to find out exactly what's going on," Fulmer said. "From what I know about it, Jerod Mayo will be out there participating unless something changes. Robert Ayers will not until we get through this."

Oops...

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 04-27-2009 at 01:23 AM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #14
Polster60
Solid Starter

Yeah!! what I may consider to be high character in real life may be completely different from that that could be expected from a professional athlete. Whether that is appropriate could be argued. But when you compare some of these kids to previous denver broncos like clarrett and henry, they appear to be of much higher class and character. Time will tell, but at least it is something that can be pointed to as a current positive. Now I obviously have no first hand experience with any of these guys, but color me excited.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #15
Polster60
Solid Starter

Robert Ayers alluded to that situation #27. But I fully don't understand that situation still. Ayers definitely seems to be the biggest boom/bust pick in our draft. I hope he works out though. His ability combined with some creative coaching could provide some interesting opportunities.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #16
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

You can tell all the guys we signed are pretty smart. I loved their press conferences. Smith was a cocky SOB and he said he knew a lot of our packages already. Very impressed with all of them. Doesn't mean they'll be good players, but it does mean they probably won't be making many mental mistakes or getting arrested for driving the wrong way down the street with a DUI.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polster60 View Post
Folks, this board has gone from being full of great football conversations, to nothing more than a cest pool full of accusations geared towards other fans. And for what reason We all may have sun glasses on, but some of ours are just tinted more heavily than others. Can we not talk about being excited about a kid that seems to be all class?? A hardworker? A good guy?? A student of the game A player that loves the game of football as much as you or me Last time I checked those were the key attributes that many fans wanted in a football player that played for their team!
I TOTALLY agree!

What ever happened to ... {sigh}
(I don't agree with the "cest" pool comment though, it's more like a cess pool)
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
The Broncos just signed Chis Baker . The Broncos might reget signing him after he goes manic and kills everybody on the team after they cut him.
You are really bizarre
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You can tell all the guys we signed are pretty smart. I loved their press conferences. Smith was a cocky SOB and he said he knew a lot of our packages already. Very impressed with all of them. Doesn't mean they'll be good players, but it does mean they probably won't be making many mental mistakes or getting arrested for driving the wrong way down the street with a DUI.

He will be a beast.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
Bronco Yoda

I like what I've seen from Knowson during interviews. This kid really seems like he coming from a good place. Not a bad thing beings he was drafted so high and could have an attitude like others. I know it's really soon and I have little to go on... but I'm really impressed so far with this kids attitude and the way he handled things so far. A real likable guy.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #21
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
(I don't agree with the "cest" pool comment though, it's more like a cess pool)
C'est pool?
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #22
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Robert Ayers was arrested for aggrevated assault and suspended from the Tennessee Vol team in 2005.

http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fb...865_9687-1.jpg
"I've got to find out exactly what's going on," Fulmer said. "From what I know about it, Jerod Mayo will be out there participating unless something changes. Robert Ayers will not until we get through this."

Oops...
FYI: "High Character" != "Never, Ever Made a Mistake"
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #23
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Only one of our guys has a questionable past, and he was a street free agent. That was also a while back, so I'm guessing the staff wants to see if he's got his head screwed on correctly.

Other than that, it's quite obvious that high character, cerebral players are important to the new staff. Say what you want about the Patriots, but they've had more good character players than bad over the years, and clearly, a pretty smart football team.

You want nasty guys out there, but you don't want stupid thugs. I like the direction we're going with these picks.
Popps, just curious.... I am not for or against McD. but when it comes to the patriot way how do you feel about the filming of other teams defensive signals since we are talking character and the patriot way.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #24
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Alphonso Smith and Moreno seemed like smart, eager guys. Robert Ayers... not so much.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #25
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Playing the "high character" card sound like rationalizing the draft ... I suppose that's okay, but it sounds a bit like reaching for something good to say.