The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,690
Default What are we going to do about the front 7 D?

Obviously we didn't like much in this draft. Can we still trade for someone out there? Does McD have a hidden NT locked away in Dove Valley we don't know about? Are we going to scrap the 3-4 idea this year?
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,615

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Seems to me that the front 7 is a very, very low priority with this rookie HC.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Chris Baker is an enormous signing ... a true NT with 330 size ... high talent guy, but with big character issues. This year's Marcus Thomas.

And Rulon Davis is exciting ... injury plagued in college (his legs were actually run over by a semi truck), but all the skills to play 5-technique DE. And a former Marine.


I can't believe I'm saying this, but these two CFAs might've save the draft.

They are both true 3-4 D-lineman ...

Baker is a lock to make the team imo (if he avoids bar fights) ...

And I'll say the Marine is 50-50 or better to at least make the Practice Squad
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,690
Default

Chris Baker is intriguing... I'll give you that. I like his disposition. But can he start this year? Will any of our DE's really be able to transition into the LB position?

My confidence in this D has not improved yet. Someone throw me a bone here.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,555

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

Damn us for signing these players.... I am telling you all the sky has fallen and it will be 2 more years until Denver moves the franchise to Los Angeles.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #6
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

I'll give it a shot:
DE - Marcus Thomas, Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean
NT - Ron Fields, Carlton Powell, J'Vonne Parker, Chris Baker
DE - Darrell Reid, Robert Ayers, Nic Clemons, Rulon Davis
That's not counting Elvis, Crowder or Moss, all OLBs or waiver-wire bait.

Josh says Ayers "plays bigger" than his 272, so I'm thinking he goes DE at 280 pounds.


Slim pickings there ... especially when you consider Reid was working at SOLB in the minicamp. I'm not buying it though ... he's 288 pounds, and we already have OLBs. We need DEs.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #7
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 16,621

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

I think Reid is playing OLB Buff and I'd bet Ayers starts this year either at SOLB or SDE.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,499
Default

IMO Broncos will be playing a ton of 4-3 looks this yr.

Ayers is 274 so he can play end in a 4-3, SOLB in a 3-4. I think Broncos go 3-4 on passing downs, give a lot of 4-3 looks on first and 2nd. I think you will see Marcus Thomas at end on some 3-4 looks and at DT in the 4-3 looks. Doom IMO will be moved around and always be rushing the passer either from OLB in a 3-4, or from end in a 4-3.

We may be 3-4 more in 2 yrs, but I think this yr you will still see a lot of 4-3 looks.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 AM   #9
rastaman
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7,180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Obviously we didn't like much in this draft. Can we still trade for someone out there? Does McD have a hidden NT locked away in Dove Valley we don't know about? Are we going to scrap the 3-4 idea this year?
McDaniels has said.....wait until next year!
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Damn us for signing these players.... I am telling you all the sky has fallen and it will be 2 more years until Denver moves the franchise to Los Angeles.
I should have better clarified.... we didn't seem to like many front 7 Defensive players available to us.

I can't argue with most of the players we did draft. Just wish we had more front 7 D players. As long as we can move things around and come up with some sort of cohesive scheme on D then I'm fine with whatever our plan ends of being.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Pete Carroll is a douche

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,536

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Philosophically we're not tied into running any one scheme so if playing some 4-3 is the best for us, then we will.

Last edited by Kaylore; 04-27-2009 at 09:42 AM..
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I'll give it a shot:
DE - Marcus Thomas, Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean
NT - Ron Fields, Carlton Powell, J'Vonne Parker, Chris Baker
DE - Darrell Reid, Robert Ayers, Nic Clemons, Rulon Davis
That's not counting Elvis, Crowder or Moss, all OLBs or waiver-wire bait.

Josh says Ayers "plays bigger" than his 272, so I'm thinking he goes DE at 280 pounds.


Slim pickings there ... especially when you consider Reid was working at SOLB in the minicamp. I'm not buying it though ... he's 288 pounds, and we already have OLBs. We need DEs.
If a backup who couldn't start for Nolan in san fran is who we are banking on we could very well be in trouble!!
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Philosophically we're not tied into running any one scheme so if player some 4-3 is the best for us, then we will.
Then they should've took Orakpo if they are going to play more 4-3
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

**** it lets play a 0-6-5

This place is depressing
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

It's not so much depressing as people's idiocy is shining through. The idiots want the Broncos to pull a Shanahan and just take needs instead of best talent. That ultimately helped lead to Shanahan;s firing and what do people want? Do that kind of thing again. That's called insanity when you repeat what others have done which failed. So there's quite a few around here that need a shrink and ASAP.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,977

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Honestly, with the signing of Ayers, I am no longer sure this team is going over to a 3-4.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,946

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I'll give it a shot:
DE - Marcus Thomas, Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean
NT - Ron Fields, Carlton Powell, J'Vonne Parker, Chris Baker
DE - Darrell Reid, Robert Ayers, Nic Clemons, Rulon Davis
That's not counting Elvis, Crowder or Moss, all OLBs or waiver-wire bait.

Josh says Ayers "plays bigger" than his 272, so I'm thinking he goes DE at 280 pounds.


Slim pickings there ... especially when you consider Reid was working at SOLB in the minicamp. I'm not buying it though ... he's 288 pounds, and we already have OLBs. We need DEs.
Very pedestrian looking. It's gonna come down to coaching and knowing your assigment in order for the defense to work. I'm still hoping Powell has a break out year, but he's not a true NT.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #18
p7superfly
CHAMP IS THE TRUTH.
 
Born bleeding Orange & Blue

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 279

Adopt-a-Bronco:
KNOWSHON
Default

I have no idea.

We have about .75 legit 3-4 D-Linemen.

Should have pretty good LB's and secondary.
p7superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #19
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 8,690
Default

It's only depressing if you get locked up on these types of quandaries without the ability to recognize and discuss them. I don't think anyone here is advocating reaching for players that fit a position over top talent. But, we do have a serious problem at our front 7. And sticking ones fingers in your ears and screaming.... 'nah,nah...it'll all go away if I close my eyes tight enough and block out all discussion' isn't going to transform our defense into being competitive.

I just hope we have a plan at D that will end up giving us a chance to be competitive THIS year.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #20
snowspot66
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Very pedestrian looking. It's gonna come down to coaching and knowing your assigment in order for the defense to work. I'm still hoping Powell has a break out year, but he's not a true NT.
Coaching and knowing your assignment will get you an average defense. I'll take it.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #21
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer
 
Finger Roll's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Honestly, with the signing of Ayers, I am no longer sure this team is going over to a 3-4.
all he has to do is gain about 10 pounds and he'll be a fine 3-4 DE
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,468
Default

Well me and every other member of this board will do nothing. Nolan must like the pieces he has here, or the Broncos felt they could get players later or in UDFA they could teach the defense to. We'll see what happens.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #23
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer
 
Finger Roll's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
It's only depressing if you get locked up on these types of quandaries without the ability to recognize and discuss them. I don't think anyone here is advocating reaching for players that fit a position over top talent. But, we do have a serious problem at our front 7. And sticking ones fingers in your ears and screaming.... 'nah,nah...it'll all go away if I close my eyes tight enough and block out all discussion' isn't going to transform our defense into being competitive.

I just hope we have a plan at D that will end up giving us a chance to be competitive THIS year.
you also have to remember the broncos running game will be much better giving the DL a much needed breather between series. The problem with pass happy teams is that they aren't on the field very long.
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,229

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Chris Baker is intriguing... I'll give you that. I like his disposition. But can he start this year? Will any of our DE's really be able to transition into the LB position?

My confidence in this D has not improved yet. Someone throw me a bone here.
have faith in DOOM. all he does is prove sceptics wrong. he was still the best DE on the roster last season with a jacked up hand. Moving him to OLB will be great for him and us. I tell you, i think he will be a very solid OLB for us, and very well may become a James Harrison.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #25
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,428
Default

http://www.ilm.com/
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Denver Broncos