The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer

Default Broncos Sign Rulon!

Per NFLDRAFTBIBLE

Rulon Davis
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 281 | PositionE | College: California

Overview

A former Marine who served time in Iraq, Davis' rare blend of size and athleticism has NFL scouts imagining him as a part of their own front line of defense. After his military service, Davis played with Mt. San Antonio College, emerging as one of the top junior college prospects in the nation despite switching to the defensive side of the ball. Davis had played along the offensive line throughout his entire high school career. In three seasons at California, Davis consistently flashed first-day talent -- and posted four sacks and two forced fumbles in only seven starts as senior. Davis, 25, has yet to finish a season healthy, playing in only 21 of 38 games.
2008 Season

Started six of the eight games he has played, but had his season interrupted by an injury for the second year in a row, missing five games in the middle of the year with a foot injury still ranked third on the team with nine TFL earned starts in Cal's first four contests and again at USC and Washington given the Bob Tessier Award as Cal's most improved defensive lineman registered a season-best six stops at Maryland, including a sack and a forced fumble had 1.5 tackles for loss against both Oregon State and Stanford blocked a field goal attempt at Washington State that Zack Follett returned 68 yards for a TD own the top recorded vertical jump of all-time for a Cal defensive lineman at 33.5 inches.
2007 Season

Slated as a starter at defensive end, but missed seven games due to injuries still tallied 16 tackles with three for loss, including 1.5 sacks came off the bench for four solo takedowns in the bowl victory over Air Force injured his foot in the Louisiana Tech game and missed the next four games returned against Arizona State and recorded three tackles, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble (which was recovered for a touchdown), before leaving the game with a knee injury and missing the next three outings returned against Stanford and tallied three more tackles, one for loss registered two tackles and a pass breakup against Tennessee.
2006 Season

Competed in six games before missing the last half of the season due to illness and injury (bone bruise in leg) recorded five tackles, including three against Arizona State when he also had a half tackle for loss.
Junior College

Played for Mt. San Antonio College as a freshman in 2004 when Mt. SAC's defense ranked No. 11 in California, giving up just 251.9 yards per game Rated as the 21st best junior-college prospect in the country by Rivals.com at the conclusion of the 2005
High School

Graduated from Charter Oak High School in Covina, Calif., in 2001, where his football experience came on the offensive line.
Personal

Parents are Sylvia and Lorenzo Davis Served in the Marines for more than three years after high school Was an avionics technician in the military Majoring in sociology.
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

how old is he exactly?
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

why did this guy fall outta the draft?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Give him #50....for our anniversary...that'll motivate his azz.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Alright!
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Jeepers, he missed one season because ...

wait for it ....

his legs were run over by a semi truck!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Jeepers, he missed one season because ...

wait for it ....

his legs were run over by a semi truck!
Stocking up on RBs and CBs, then finding DLine players that have been hurt at some point in there past. Hmmm has anyone seen Shanny?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
how old is he exactly?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Sounds like his injuries were legit ... no BS there ... broken foot, run over by a semi, and an "illness."

That doesn't sound like a fragile player ...

Plus, he was a U.S. MARINE!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Marines are known for their strong work ethic. I like that. If he has NFL-caliber talent, that's even better...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Stocking up on RBs and CBs, then finding DLine players that have been hurt at some point in there past. Hmmm has anyone seen Shanny?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Sorry if Im not going to jump up and down at every UDFA we pick up. Very few make it in the NFL, but Im sure someone is going to remind me about Rod Smith. Lets all pretend that happens every year and take more away from the greatness that is Rod Smith. Regardless there really isn't many posters that would believe if Shanny was still running the show that you wouldn't be pissed off at this offseason.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #13
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Rulon Davis Draft Interview
by Gregory Cox
NFL Draft Director
1/7/09

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/rul...iew090001.html

Even through a telephone Cal defensive end Rulon Davis can be a little bit intimidating. What would you expect from a player who describes his game in three words as: aggressive, tenacious and smart? There is no doubt he is smart having already graduated with a double major (Sociology, African-American studies) this past spring. Intelligence is one of Davis’ many strengths on and off the football field.
Here is the transcript from our conversation.
TFE: I have read you are a Chargers fan although that might not have made you very popular in the East Bay at Berkeley with the Raider Nation so close. When looking at the NFL who do you compare yourself to?
RD: Luis Castillo. Same build.
TFE: Positions change from college to the NFL. Some guys at defensive end move inside to tackle and others slide back to outside linebacker. You have played in the 4-3 and this past season in the 3-4. You have the frame at 6-5 to play tackle. Which scheme fits you the best and which position?
RD: I can fit both the 3-4 and the 4-3. This past year I felt really comfortable in the 3-4 because in a 3-4 the defensive end has to play the tackle position as well as the rushing end position. I like being able to play more than one position - inside in the three and then going out there and playing the “five” technique. I like the versatility. I love that.
TFE: Your vertical leap was 34.5. At the 2008 NFL combine eventual #6 overall pick Vernon Gholston was the only defensive lineman to top that (by one inch) and only two linebackers were over that mark. Can you beat that number?
RD: Yeah, I definitely can beat that.
TFE: I realize benching 225 pounds as many times as possible is not in your regular routine, but can you project a range for yourself?
RD: I think I can do in the high 20’s.
TFE: Have you been working on your speed, and what is your 40 time now?
RD: Around 4.8-4.9. I plan on shedding some pounds so I can get a bit faster.
TFE: Aside from center Alex Mack, who was the toughest offensive lineman at Cal you went against in practice?

RD: (senior offensive tackle) Noris Malele. Solid guy.

TFE: This process can be hectic and nerve wracking leading up to April. What are you looking forward to the most?
RD: What teams are interested and seeing what is the best fit for me. Everything is so unknown. I’m excited to see what the future has for Rulon Davis.
TFE: You are close friends with current Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Brandon Mebane who once roamed the line with you at Cal. Has he given you advice about what to expect?
RD: He got me a little bit nervous because he told me the other day that this time in my life is going to be the biggest change. He says my life will never be the same after this. I get butterflies in my stomach thinking about it. I’m looking forward to the challenge. He said that the combine was probably one of the most difficult deals because it was an ongoing process, but I can take it.
TFE: Right now you have been a little overlooked playing in front of three linebackers expected to be drafted (Zack Follett, Worrell Williams and Anthony Felder), but someone had to be disrupting things to free those guys up. What do you most want scouts to know about your game and what makes you a future NFL player?
RD: Just sit down and really watch the film. See me disrupting the line, executing my assignment, being a playmaker - having a nose for the ball, high motor, intensity and overall abilities. I try to bring leadership to the field. I just want an opportunity.
TFE: Finally, what are your plans when your NFL career is over?
RD: I definitely want to go back to school. I’m really interested in commercial real estate, especially the financial side. I want to be in all phases – land development, buying and selling, finance.
In just a few minutes speaking to Davis, who I have seen play live several times at Cal, it puzzles me to not see him higher on positional draft charts at this still somewhat early stage of the process. There are questions about his durability due to various injuries taking away games these past two seasons. He is also 25 years old having devoted three years of his life to the Marines including a six month tour of duty in Iraq.
However, the positive side is immeasurable character built from his life experiences and the toughness to have persevered through those nagging injuries. Clearly his football playing potential has not been met giving him the “upside” many scouts look for. Any NFL team taking their shot at drafting Rulon Davis will be getting a determined force ready to make an impact wherever his talents are needed. Considering plenty of NFL defensive linemen play well into their 30’s effectively (Michael Strahan was 36 when he hung up the cleats, Jason Taylor had 11 sacks at 33 in 2007) his age is certainly not much of an issue.

For more information on Rulon Davis - RulontheBeast.com
Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

http://www.rulonthebeast.com/

Watch his highlight film. Dude rarely drives through a tackle....he's always falling to the ground while tackling the opponent - another Jarvis Moss. Cool website though.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Luis Castillo is a good comparison ... I'm giving this Marine 50-50 odds to make at least the PS.....

And Chris Baker is a lock.

I can't believe two CFAs are gonna save this draft, but both these guys are true 3-4 D-linemen, and both have all the tools to play in the leaugue.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post

Watch his highlight film. Dude rarely drives through a tackle....he's always falling to the ground while tackling the opponent - another Jarvis Moss. Cool website though.

Rulon Davis Highlights from bob gregory on Vimeo.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 AM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Regardless there really isn't many posters that would believe if Shanny was still running the show that you wouldn't be pissed off at this offseason.
Is the off-season over? Did I miss something?

As for Shanahan and what he would have done, the problem would have been... he's been horrid at drafting defensive talent. So, yea... I probably would have been skeptical.

However, for the first time since Shanahan took over the team, we've selected the top DE prospect in the draft... something I b****ed about Shanahan NOT doing for the past decade. So, at very minimum, I would have been happy about that.

I also would have probably had to concede that a home-run hitter like Portis returning to Denver (Moreno) probably isn't a bad thing.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #18
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:

Interesting vid. Tall guy, and his arms look long. He seems to have a knack for getting those long arms on the football. Looks pretty damned fast for his size, too.

Just from this vid, he seems to play pretty upright, and doesn't show anything but a straight-forward rush move. Who knows, could be a good project. He looks like a pro out there, physically. Seems pretty raw, though.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #19
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Knowshon would AWESOME if we had addressed the front 7 more. But now we're second-thinking because of that.

Actually Knowshon will be awesome either way, front 7 or no front 7.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #20
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Interesting vid. Tall guy, and his arms look long. He seems to have a knack for getting those long arms on the football. Looks pretty damned fast for his size, too.

Just from this vid, he seems to play pretty upright, and doesn't show anything but a straight-forward rush move. Who knows, could be a good project. He looks like a pro out there, physically. Seems pretty raw, though.
Raw, but his body type and burst actuially look like - LOOK like - Peppers.

Laugh if you must, but that body looks just like him.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #21
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

The last marine we had in Denver did pretty well for himself.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post

That's not what I saw at all. I saw a guy with power to push the pocket and some quickness of the edge who stays with plays and made plays. Highlight films mean nothing...the best one I've seen was Cooked Crack's...

In any case the last marine we had turned out pretty well...not saying he's MA but these guys are tough physically and mentally which is what you have to be to make it as a UDFA in this league.

footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Raw, but his body type and burst actuially look like - LOOK like - Peppers.

Laugh if you must, but that body looks just like him.
No, I see what you mean. Sort of lanky, but strong looking. That's why I said, he physically looks like a pro.

Not to sound scout-geeky, but it sure looks like if he were taught to get his pad-level down a bit with his initial burst, it would do him a world of good. He's clearly got strength. He's a pocket collapser, for such a tall guy.

Pretty intriguing pick-up.

I love street FA's. Cost you nothing, and we've had some fairly good luck with the over the years.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #24
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

All I thought about seeing the thread title was RULON JONES !!!!!
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #25
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Sounds like his injuries were legit ... no BS there ... broken foot, run over by a semi, and an "illness."

That doesn't sound like a fragile player ...

Plus, he was a U.S. MARINE!
Can he add another 40 pounds or so
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote