The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Yes or No: Do you have faith in McDaniels?
Yes, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. More Kool Aid please! 90 44.55%
No, McDouche, McIdiot, McRetard, McSatan etc. is destroying this once proud franchise. 49 24.26%
Uhm, wait and see attitude for me. Both you pickle chuggers and drama queens are insane. 63 31.19%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
slyinky

Thar she Blows!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Yes or No: Do you have faith in McDaniels?

Now that the draft is over do you have faith in Coach McDaniels at this point?

Personally, I do. I like the fact that he has acquired, both through the draft and free agency, specific players that fit his ideal mold. Players with strong character who are competitive, intelligent and team oriented. A lot of these players are also versatile with the ability to contribute in multiple roles and/or in different facets of their position.

While I would of liked to have seen the front 7 addressed more (especially the down lineman) I feel that he has addressed 3 glaring weaknesses on this team. Field position, defensive turnovers and red zone offense. Bruton should prove to be valuable as a gunner as well as in other areas on special teams. McKinley and company should also contribute. In regards to TO's and pass defense, the DB's drafted are playmakers and ball hawks. Free agent Andre Goodman was one of the league leaders in both Int's and PD last year while Dawkins had 6 FF's and has 34 career Int's. Finally, Moreno's inside running ability and Quinn's blocking should hopefully improve Denver's porous red zone offense. A marked improvement in these 3 areas and I will consider this offseason a success as it would transition this club into a more rounded team.

McDaniels is certainty confident and appears very specific in the direction he wants to take this team. A direction that I feel comfortable with. I have faith...at least for now.
slyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

On board with a bullet!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/7...pizza?fl_link=
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Fine post, I agree. I was troubled by the lack of Dline players but our UDFAs have helped mitigate my concern.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Nope

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I don't have faith in him ... yet.

He's the 2nd youngest head coach ever, he has too much power imo, and two of the three most effective people in the organization are gone since he arrived - Cutler and Goodman - and his fingerprints are all over both departures.

So I'm skeptical ... and I think skeptical is the only reasonable view to take in these circumstances.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

The honest truth is that we've been so far detached from the draft through Shannahan, that this years draft was very pleasant! McD drafted the guys he wanted and brought them in for a visit also - kind of a unique thing to do for the Broncos (actually draft those who visit).

I have little doubt that he'll run the club well enough to produce his style of team but whether that team wins or not is all the fan base will care about. I'm convinced he knows what he's doing and has the right crew....but, that doesn't always win games. No matter which side of the fence you are on - Jay Cutler was McD's insurance policy....he would have won a lot of games for McD and should have been his best friend this offseason. McD is focused and knows what he wants - I hate seeing get the limping start.

I think we're all packing 'heat' as fans right now waiting for the next criminal act to patrol - I hope he has some early success.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

If he wins Yes ...
If not I want him mocked , pointed and laughed at , and deported to Cambodia ...

Unit I have some proof tho I still retain the right to make fun of him as much as humanly possible . Be it childish or not ...

nah nah nah nah nah
Old 04-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Until we play in the games and start winning or losing I'm not ready to say.

Things I like
  1. His football IQ.
  2. His scheme.
  3. His premium on toughness and intelligence for players.
  4. His coaching pedigree.
  5. He has a clear philosophy for what he wants to do with the team.
  6. The coaches he's hired are excellent.
  7. He retained Dennison and Turner.
  8. All his draft picks were good players and difference makers that can play special teams.

Things I don't
  1. The Cutler situation.
  2. The Paxton/Leach deals.
  3. Trading our first next year for Alphonso Smith.
  4. Passing on Ron Brace for Alphonso Smith.

I picked wait and see. I feel more confident than not, but I would be just as stupid as the retards who are on here telling everyone he sucks if I said he was going to be awesome.

The fact is we just don't know. We don't know how our picks will look. We don't know how we'll play next year, and we don't know how good or bad he'll be. I like the type of players he's bringing in and I like his staff. Will it all pan out? No one knows.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Things I like
  1. His football IQ.
  2. His scheme.
  8. All his draft picks were good players and difference makers that can play special teams.

Things I don't
  1. The Cutler situation.

I picked wait and see. I feel more confident than not, but I would be just as stupid as the retards who are on here telling everyone he sucks if I said he was going to be awesome.

The fact is we just don't know. We don't know how our picks will look. We don't know how we'll play next year, and we don't know how good or bad he'll be. I like the type of players he's bringing in and I like his staff. Will it all pan out? No one knows.
How long are you willing to give him?

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

CFA Chris Baker could be better than Ron Brace ... he did the Marcus Thomas belly-flop down the draft boards, but he is a top-flight talent.

I'm really happy about that ... now if only the 1st we gave up was stipulated the lower of the two. We'll see.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #12
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Passing on Ron Brace for Alphonso Smith.
I think the gap between Brace and, say, Baker is much, much smaller than Smith and the top UDFA CB.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Things I like
  1. His football IQ.
  2. His scheme.

Things I don't
  1. The Cutler situation.

Hate the Pats scheme . It doesn't do well vs power teams who smash you in the mouth and get after the Qb ... little to finesse for my liking .
But we will see ...
Old 04-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

No. He has thrown a brick through our future with that inbecile Seahawks trade.

The Quinn move was almost as amateurish. The Cutler thing goes without saying.

Goodness, maybe he can coach.

The sooner gone, the better.
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeRising View Post
No. He has thrown a brick through our future with that inbecile Seahawks trade.

The Quinn move was almost as amateurish. The Cutler thing goes without saying.

Goodness, maybe he can coach.

The sooner gone, the better.
That's the spirit! Root for failure!
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #16
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
He has thrown a brick through our future with that inbecile Seahawks trade.
We're talking at most two dozen draft slots. Overreact much.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #17
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
That's the spirit! Root for failure!
He traded that way for some Smith guy.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #18
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Nope. Not until he wins games.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #19
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
We're talking at most two dozen draft slots. Overreact much.
That could mean the difference between Jarvis Moss (first rounder) and Eddie Royal (second rounder.)

The horror!

Look, it's a questionable move. I understand the rationale behind it. If it works, good move. If not... bad risk.

But, it's not a friggin' team-breaker. They liked this kid a lot, and wanted to get him in and start developing him now, not wait another year for a maybe.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #20
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

All I know is that this is the first time in my life my friends who are Bengals fans have been telling me they was sorry to hear about my team and our coach/player losses and gains ... and actually feeling sorry for me and being careful of bringing it up or saying the wrong thing ...

Could be worse I guess ... I could be a Bengals fan ...
But still feels strange for my team not to be stable , solid , and respected .
Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #21
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I don't have faith in him ... yet.

He's the 2nd youngest head coach ever, he has too much power imo, and two of the three most effective people in the organization are gone since he arrived - Cutler and Goodman - and his fingerprints are all over both departures.

So I'm skeptical ... and I think skeptical is the only reasonable view to take in these circumstances.
Accord...except I think it's reasonable for people to think whatever they want about McDaniels due to the magnitude of his impact in such a short time. An objective "reasonable" standard should span many different cognitive bents and personality types. I don't blame people who "drink the koolaid" or permanently hate his guts or people like us who hate his napolean act so far but haven't drawn any final conclusions. While I would argue that our shared view is quite reasonable under the circumstances, I think it speaks more to similar standards for evaluating character and extracting truths. I really wish I was behind our new coach's approach 100% by this point but I don't like most of what he's done.

I don't like the "hoodie" tradition...I like individuals who borrow the components of their approach from others, but never in a wholesale fasion, and always based on their own conscience and character. He has almost unilaterally gutted the key aspects I loved about the team in the past and it remains to be seen what he will ultimately offer as an alternative. If it's verbatim Patriots-style disgusting football, I'm never gonna be down with that. I hope it's something different. The Knowshown pic actually gives me hope that he will be a more run-oriented coach that we first believed.
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Its much easier to package two first round picks to move up to get a more talented player in a draft then one popps.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #23
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I absolutely still have faith in him. It's only April.
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #24
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I want to give him the benefit of a doubt, but he manages not to earn it. When we were looking for a coach, I thought a 32 year old guy wouldn't have the experience to handle touchy player situations on an immature team. He tripped over the dog the first step in the door.

Now with this puzzling draft. I've watched and followed the draft every year for as long as I can remember. I can't ever remember being this dumbfounded. We need defense, and we take mostly offense. We give up first round value in order to take second rounders in a weak draft. We take TEs when we need NTs. And to make it worse, the people on this board happy to see Shanahan fired because he never drafted defense are all on here rationalizing why the smart thing to do was shun defensive players.

There were two picks this draft that I liked - the first two. The rest seem like good players, but I can't fathom what they're doing on the team when our front 7 looks so thin right now - especially the NT position.

I'm on the wait and see plan though. So far, I haven't seen anything significant that McDaniels has brought to the table that we were missing with Shanahan - and worse, I feel like we've taken steps backwards. But, I'll give him the opportunity to prove that we're moving forward. I would think that in his mind, anything less than the playoffs is a failure - and I personally feel the same way about it.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #25
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
He tripped over the dog the first step in the door.
You, the biggest Griese supporter of all time, using that metaphor? Funny.

Quote:
We need defense, and we take mostly offense. .
3 of the first 4 picks were defensive players, including the top-ranked DE in the draft.

Quote:
We give up first round value in order to take second rounders in a weak draft. .
We obtained a high 2nd round for a 1st next year. They targeted a player they wanted and got him, and can begin developing that player now, instead of playing roulette next season. Risky? Sure, but this staff knew exactly what they wanted.

Quote:
So far, I haven't seen anything significant that McDaniels has brought to the table that we were missing with Shanahan - .
How could you "see" anything? We haven't held a single practice. Drafts are crap-shoots, at best. We watched Shanahan and Co. butcher up the draft and FA for most of the past decade, so let's not pretend there was some standard to live up to, here.

We've brought in something like 25 players so far to try to improve this team, and we're not even to training camp, yet.

Yes, I would have liked to have seen another DL pick on day one. But, Nolan likely didn't see anything outstanding, and conversely... the staff saw great value elsewhere. (Again, like the Eddie Royal pick... we didn't necessarily need him, but he paid off big-time.)

This looks to me like a staff doing the little things to build a proper foundation.... drafting and signing quality, good character guys, filling out STs, filling out positional needs and setting up a base to build from.