The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default FYI for future reference on seeing who we were interested in.

Every player that McDaniels drafted they either met them at Dove Valley and did a private workout or attended their pro day. Sometimes they did both. 7 of the three they drafted were players that came to Dove Valley. The other three were players they interviewed and worked out.

McDaniels used all his allotted workouts (30). He said he doesn't create smoke screens and was genuinely interested in every player they looked at.

I only created this thread because it's a stark departure from Shanahan who would purposely ignore players or work guys out as a smoke screen. This is not the case with McDaniels. So next draft just look at who we bring in and we can get a clear idea of what the FO is thinking.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He said he doesn't create smoke screens and was genuinely interested in every player they looked at.
That begs the questions:

1. What picks or combo of picks and players was he willing to trade to move up for Sanchez. He said it wasn't 12 and 18.

2. If he wanted Sanchez, is he not planning on keeping Orton past this season?
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I also liked how he said in his press conference that they did not draft players who were not able to compete at their respective positions.

So we can expect a lot of competition in camp this TC which will be nice to see and hopefully make our team better.
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Good. I don't think the cloack and dagger **** works anyway. I want my coaches to get up close looks and workouts with the players they might want to draft.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
That begs the questions:

1. What picks or combo of picks and players was he willing to trade to move up for Sanchez. He said it wasn't 12 and 18.

2. If he wanted Sanchez, is he not planning on keeping Orton past this season?
1. I think he decided not to trade up for him just like he said he would. That doesn't mean he wouldn't take him. It just means he wouldn't trade up. He traded up for other picks and overpaid to do so in those instances. He's shown if he really wants a player he'll go after them. In this case he didn't.

2. I think he just wants competition at this point. I have doubts that his interest in Sanchez is indicative of his disappointment in either player. One mini camp doesn't tell you jack.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Fair enough. It just jumps out at me when he says that all his interest was legit, given the pure # and quality of the QBs they looked at. It doesn't exactly scream "confidence in the current stable".
Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I also liked how he said in his press conference that they did not draft players who were not able to compete at their respective positions.

So we can expect a lot of competition in camp this TC which will be nice to see and hopefully make our team better.
Scheffler is gone and had a year left on his contract anyway. So the TE competition makes sense. We had the worst safeties in the league and while the old guys are an upgrade, the speed and depth is much needed. Center is up in the air. Wiegman is almost done and Hamilton doesn't fit a man scheme. Just going with Lichtensteiger doesn't leave room for injury and still leaves a hole at gaurd. In that sense the linemen make a lot of sense.

We'll see. I hope they're right.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Fair enough. It just jumps out at me when he says that all his interest was legit, given the pure # and quality of the QBs they looked at. It doesn't exactly scream "confidence in the current stable".
Well we also worked out Curtis Painter and a number of other players. We needed another QB at one point Sanchez was projected to fall somewhat near us. They did their due diligence in looking at every position.

One thing I love is they stuck to their mantra of "tough, smart, good character guys" that he advocated on the day he was hired.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Lots of questions to ponder. Among the biggest to me are,
1) Why sign 3 RB's in FA and then draft Moreno at 12? And,
2) What the hell is the plan for the D-line?!!?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Lots of questions to ponder. Among the biggest to me are,
1) Why sign 3 RB's in FA and then draft Moreno at 12? And,
Because I honestly believe every back on our team that wasn't those three and isn't named Hillis will be gone. That gives you four backs for the season. Those three are good, but they're not starter material and we all knew that.

Quote:
2) What the hell is the plan for the D-line?!!?
I guess you go with what you have. We'll probably have to play 4-3 as we transition to what we want to do. One thing I do know: there wasn't a defensive tackle in the draft that would have made a world of difference this year. It was a bad year and even the best DT's take three years to get up to speed.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
One thing I do know: there wasn't a defensive tackle in the draft that would have made a world of difference this year. It was a bad year and even the best DT's take three years to get up to speed.
So, what you are saying is, we have at least 3 more years of suckage ahead on the DLine? Longer if they don't address it next year.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
So, what you are saying is, we have at least 3 more years of suckage ahead on the DLine? Longer if they don't address it next year.
The answer to NT might not be found in the draft...
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Every player that McDaniels drafted they either met them at Dove Valley and did a private workout or attended their pro day. Sometimes they did both. 7 of the three they drafted were players that came to Dove Valley. The other three were players they interviewed and worked out.
This strategy appears to have been what caused him to over pay.

Being the control freak he is - if he knew he wanted to draft somebody he personally interviewed, worked out or saw in Dove Valley....and he began seeing those potential picks evaporating. It looks like he got nervous and reached.

Seems like a fairly rigid approach for something as dynamic as the NFL draft.

Of course another possibility of why he reached on a number of picks is..he was channeling Bronco Billy and was drunk with power with his first day as GM. I just did another trade!!! Yaaaay!!!
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
....and he began seeing those potential picks evaporating. It looks like he got nervous and reached.
!
i think this is 100% the case, and this is truly one time where i can say experience plays a role in this. he will get better at this over the next 2-3 years but i think as of this year he was getting nervous seeing all his guys come off the boards.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #15
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Scheffler is gone and had a year left on his contract anyway. So the TE competition makes sense. We had the worst safeties in the league and while the old guys are an upgrade, the speed and depth is much needed. Center is up in the air. Wiegman is almost done and Hamilton doesn't fit a man scheme. Just going with Lichtensteiger doesn't leave room for injury and still leaves a hole at gaurd. In that sense the linemen make a lot of sense.

We'll see. I hope they're right.
Good capsulization, that all makes sense.

But the elephant in the room ... Ayers the only front 7 pick?!

So, how many of the 30 workouts were front 7 guys? That'd be an interesting tidbit.
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #16
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
It's a bit of a gamble, but I think we may have a couple of players in:

Everette Pedescleaux (Northern Iowa)

and

DT Chris Baker (Hampton.)

They mainly have character concerns, but we signed them as free agents, so no big whoop.

Also, we're going to see what Carlton Powell can do as well. So we have a possible depth chart of:

DE: Ayers/Thomas/Powell/Crowder
NT: Fields/Baker/J'vone Parker
DE: Peterson/Reid/Pedescleaux

With a 4-3 look of:

DE: Ayers/Peterson/Moss
DT:Thomas/Powell
DT:Fields/Baker
DE: Doom/Reid/Crowder
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #17
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

So, how many of the 30 workouts were front 7 guys? That'd be an interesting tidbit.
You're right; that is the elephant. But the only conclusion I'm willing to draw is that they must have really disliked what was available, to ignore the need so much. They can't be happy about the lack of defensive line talent in the draft, either. Any other view colors them with the they-must-all-be-idiots meme, which is as nuanced as vanilla pudding.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #18
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
DT Chris Baker (Hampton.)
We signed Baker? That's GREAT! He is the Marcus Thomas of this draft ... I saw a story on him ... he was booted from Ohio State or something after he hurt a guy really bad in some bar fight ... had to go to Hampton. But he is very talented and has the size for NT.

This year's Marcus Thomas.

I feel MUCH better about NT ... I'll call it right now: Baker makes the team.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Well we also worked out Curtis Painter and a number of other players. We needed another QB at one point Sanchez was projected to fall somewhat near us. They did their due diligence in looking at every position.

One thing I love is they stuck to their mantra of "tough, smart, good character guys" that he advocated on the day he was hired.
I actually got to watch the QB play live twice. Once his JR yr, once his SR yr. He's a big guy but you will be surprised how quick he is. I think he ran a 4.95 at the combine and was in the top 5 for qbs in the 3 cone. He also had a good Shuttle time which shows he's quick and nimble.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in preseason.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

This draft had only a few 5 technique DE and really only a couple true NT. It may be that Mcdaniels just didn't think the ones available were that good.

Hard to fix the whole front 7 in one offseason but hopefully Ayers can help with the pass rush.

Doom and Ayers coming from opposite ends could create some good outside pressure.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #21
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

Quote:
I only created this thread because it's a stark departure from Shanahan who would purposely ignore players or work guys out as a smoke screen. This is not the case with McDaniels. So next draft just look at who we bring in and we can get a clear idea of what the FO is thinking.
I think it's a good practice (shock!). The draft is such a crapshoot no matter how you go about it, that I think you can only benefit from such information. At worst, even if someone jumps ahead of you to steal a player you've shown interest in, you will have also probably weeded out just as many potential bad selections beforehand. Although I didn't like the draft day trades like most, I hope this draft class turns out to be awesome. I'm definitely already excited to watch Moreno play behind our line.
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Bump!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #23
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Bump!
I'm thinking that because we signed THREE talented and undoubtedly coveted 3-4 D-line CFAs .... that you're right Khan. Josh and Nolan saw little or nothing of value in the draft for linemen, that maybe skipping over that spot was the plan. Maybe Josh was in touch with these guys' agents, "Okay agent, you and every agent in the league knows we're hurting for d-linemen. If we skip over d-line in the draft, will your guy siign here? It's his best chance to succeed."

I'm theorizing this because of an interesting story about the courting of CFAs last year concerning Tyler Polumbus ... he had 3 or 4 big-name coaches calling him the minute the draft ended, Shanahan, Tony Dungy, Mike Tomlin.

Something's gotta explain how we landed all 3 of these guys ... lots of teams are going 3-4 and are in need.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #24
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

well, the obvious next question then - is there a complete list of players that McD visited personally, and/or visited Dove Valley?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #25
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
well, the obvious next question then - is there a complete list of players that McD visited personally, and/or visited Dove Valley?
Exactly. I read where there's a 30-player limit on workouts ... I wanna see the list.