The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
pink_feet
Like my shoes?

woo hoo!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default AFC West draft

So, how did the rest of the AFC West do?

Oakland -- With Al running the draft ...

Kansas City -- Undecided yet. THought they reached on Jackson.

San Diego -- From what i've seen, looks like a good draft. I didnt know much about their #1 Pick, English, but I guess Bill Bellicheat highly coveted him and was going to draft him with NE's #1. Once he was gone, NE traded out. Link to that is on the chargers.com message boards. Looks like a pretty good draft though. Maybe best for AFC west.

Anyone else have thoughts?
pink_feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The Chargers also drafted a Kid that was in a coma..
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
pink_feet
Like my shoes?

woo hoo!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The Chargers also drafted a Kid that was in a coma..
That political?
pink_feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

English is going to be awesome for the Chargers. I don't care what any of you think.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

KC reached for Jackson but he'll be a solid player.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
English is going to be awesome for the Chargers. I don't care what any of you think.
is he even going to see the field?

he is playing behind Merriman and Cooper. Maualuga would have been a smarter pick as he will be used.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
is he even going to see the field?

he is playing behind Merriman and Cooper. Maualuga would have been a smarter pick as he will be used.
The Chargers use three outside linebackers on the field in most coverage sets. Norv said they were in base defense for less than 50% of their snaps on defense last year. You can't have enough pass rushers, anyways. No more Applewhite or Tucker!!

I loved San Diego's focus on mean badass type players instead of gadget players and white boys. AJ is going to fix the pussification that he started.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Chargers also drafted a canadian kid that play CFL rules in college...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
unless the Chargers believe Merrimen still isn't Merriman, or they plan on dumping Phillips, i don't see how he even plays much...

i was very pleased to see them add another pass rusher as their lone 1st day pick...

that way they can continue to struggle versus the run and struggle protecting Rivers...

Chargers have gotten worse each year the last 3 yrs...

get ready to make it 4...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
unless the Chargers believe Merrimen still isn't Merriman, or they plan on dumping Phillips, i don't see how he even plays much...

i was very pleased to see them add another pass rusher as their lone 1st day pick...

that way they can continue to struggle versus the run and struggle protecting Rivers...

The biggest problem the Chargers had last year was 3rd down defense and improving the pass rush is the best way to fix that. Merriman, English, and Phillips going after the quarterback on 3rd downs is 10x better than Tucker, Applewhite, and Phillips. I was very, very happy with the positions they targetted. Adding an OT would have been nice but Phillip is a stud and doesn't need pass protection.

The run defense was targetted for improvement with that monster canadian guy they drafted.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
Boltergeist
Rookie

A lot of us Chargers fans are feeling pretty good about our draft. When English's name was called, most I suspect...including me, were like WTF?...but when you start watching film on the guy, he's a beast. It is becoming apparant that the Chargers are trying to follow the NY Giants model of collecting pass rushers and focusing on high pressure. The OLB's were garbage last year without Merriman...With Merriman back, there is a nice rotation and Rivera disclosed that he wants to employ packages with 3 and sometimes 4 OLB's at times. Our pressure was ridiculously bad last year so I understand the urgency to grab a QB killer early.

The Chargers got some serious BEEF in day 2 which has been needed for a while....and the CSU runningback looks pretty legit as a change of pace for LT/Sproles.

I think the Broncos plugged a lot of holes effectively....but I have trouble rationalizing the trade of your next years first. The CB sounds like he will be a player, but it's going to be a tough pill to swallow next year watching Seattle grab a Taylor Mays or other with your high 1st rounder. At least you have the Bears pick....and I don't think Cutler is taking them to the playoffs either.
Boltergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltergeist View Post

I think the Broncos plugged a lot of holes effectively....but I have trouble rationalizing the trade of your next years first. The CB sounds like he will be a player, but it's going to be a tough pill to swallow next year watching Seattle grab a Taylor Mays or other with your high 1st rounder. At least you have the Bears pick....and I don't think Cutler is taking them to the playoffs either.
i like how you already assume the Broncos will suck, and we haven't even gotten to TC yet...

the Chargers the last 3 seasons:

2006 = 14-2
2007 = 11-5
2008 = 8-8

the above is clearly showing a trend...

the Bronco were 8-8 just like you guys last season and that was with one of the worst defenses ever...

i see no reason to believe that Denver doesn't contend in the very weak AFC West...
Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
i see no reason to believe that Denver doesn't contend in the very weak AFC West...
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

It was a lot of fun watching Greasy Al be the clown of the draft once again. Even Chris Carter said, "Well, I don't know anything about WRs but..." and then he just sat there shaking his head while TJ laughed.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:

What? The Chargers were not great against the run last year but they weren't horrible either. It was their pass defense, specifically the lack of pass rush which killed the defense. (31st in yards allowed per game).

You can never have enough pass rushers. Just ask the Giants. There is no chance in hell they win a Super Bowl without that fearsome pass rush. Ditto for Pittsburgh.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #16
Boltergeist
Rookie

Quote:
i like how you already assume the Broncos will suck, and we haven't even gotten to TC yet...

the Chargers the last 3 seasons:

2006 = 14-2
2007 = 11-5
2008 = 8-8

the above is clearly showing a trend...

the Bronco were 8-8 just like you guys last season and that was with one of the worst defenses ever...

why not be optimistic.....I personally don't think losing Jay Cutler is that big of a deal for you guys....and may end up being a good thing in the long run. As far as the Chargers, I would take the 2007 11-5 team and 2 playoff wins over the 14-2 team that got bounced without a playoff win....and the Chargers won again last year in the playoffs...I think the difference between the Chargers and Broncos last year was pretty evident in week 17 with all the marbles on the line. 52-21 is a pretty bad ass kicking.

I hope the Broncos are competitive...I just don't see any of the other rosters in the division coming close to matching up with our team regardless of how bad you think they've regressed. I think presuming the Chargers are going to be worse than 8-8 is a little overly optimistic on your part.

I think if they can avoid the injuries of the past couple of years, the Chargers will be coming back pretty strong this year and will make some noise in the playoffs again.
Boltergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
What? The Chargers were not great against the run last year but they weren't horrible either. It was their pass defense, specifically the lack of pass rush which killed the defense. (31st in yards allowed per game).
i know, but you have Merriman coming back to help with that...

i'm not just talking out the side of my neck...i know what your team needs are because i am a long time member of the chargers official forum...

your charger faithful were screaming for either Oher or Rey Rey to be picked at #16, not english...yall were also saddened Tyson Jackson was picked so early...

as an 8-8 team, you were in no position to use your only day 1 pick on a position you should already be fine at with Merriman and Phillips...i as well as many charger fans were surpised to see that pick...
Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltergeist View Post
why not be optimistic.....I personally don't think losing Jay Cutler is that big of a deal for you guys....and may end up being a good thing in the long run. As far as the Chargers, I would take the 2007 11-5 team and 2 playoff wins over the 14-2 team that got bounced without a playoff win....and the Chargers won again last year in the playoffs...I think the difference between the Chargers and Broncos last year was pretty evident in week 17 with all the marbles on the line. 52-21 is a pretty bad ass kicking.

I hope the Broncos are competitive...I just don't see any of the other rosters in the division coming close to matching up with our team regardless of how bad you think they've regressed. I think presuming the Chargers are going to be worse than 8-8 is a little overly optimistic on your part.
I think if they can avoid the injuries of the past couple of years, the Chargers will be coming back pretty strong this year and will make some noise in the playoffs again.
we can agree to disagree...

i see my team getting better through FA and the draft (Dawkins,Hill,Goodman,Davis,Moreno,Ayers,Smith,etc )

while i see AJ staying put with your team...we were both 8-8 but we're adding pieces...you had Merriman hurt and we had Champ hurt...

so you have your way of looking at it and i have mine...

only time will tell...
Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Meh.. wouldn't make too much fun of the raiders. From 9 sources so far, Raiders have the highest draft grades by far, at 3.5. Broncos are second lowest, with 2.4. Chargers 2.5, Chefs at 2.1

It's all pretty much moot until 2 years from now. Then we'll have an idea how good or bad this was.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #20
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Denver's offense should still be able to put up some points and getting that dynamic RB will make things much better, but the defense is still going to be horrid. The only real addition that you added to your front 7 was Robert Ayers and his job is going to be rough. Your DL is really not very good and it should have been addressed this weekend but wasn't.
In order for Ayers to be effective, he needs a DE that can help him make plays in open space.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:

i'm not just talking out the side of my neck...i know what your team needs are because i am a long time member of the chargers official forum...

your charger faithful were screaming for either Oher or Rey Rey to be picked at #16, not english...yall were also saddened Tyson Jackson was picked so early...

as an 8-8 team, you were in no position to use your only day 1 pick on a position you should already be fine at with Merriman and Phillips...i as well as many charger fans were surpised to see that pick...
No wonder you seem uninformed.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #22
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:

Well, just because fans wanted a certain position doesn't mean they're right. I understand that DE needs to be addressed because of Igor leaving but Igor stunk last year so I don't really see how it could get worse. Cesaire is an adequate starter but depth is now an issue. Maybe the big mountain they drafted plays at DE until he hopefully moves over to NT later on.

I was wanting a pass rusher since the end of the season and for once I actually predicted an AJ first round pick. Although it was the position not the player. And I'm not reading too much into the pick at the moment but it could signal different things: Merriman's rehab isn't as good as it has been reported or this means his days are numbered here because they don't think they'll be able to afford to re-sign him.

Once again, you look at a team like the Giants when they drafted pass rushers in the first round when it appeared that they didn't need to and yet those moves helped them win it all. You can't ignore the beef and expect not to pay the price. As a Denver fan you should definitely be aware of this. Jyles Tucker is a project and may never pan out and English should be an immediate upgrade over him.

Tyson Jackson would have been a nice pick at #16 but just like the apparent head scratching over Denver picking Moreno with more pressing needs, I think the Chargers felt that there wasn't a DE there that was worth taking at that point.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #23
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:

I think the Chargers are a little bit of an exception as far as record goes.
Yeah they went 8-8, but they still have quite a bit of talent.

If Merriman makes a full recovery and Tomlinson bounces back(although that is doubtful), the Chargers should be the class of the division, although that isnt saying much.

The one thing that will change is I dont think we will get our ass beat by them like we used to.
I think McDaniels will have us a little more prepared to avoid that 52-7 bull****
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote