The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Broncos Introduce First Rounders

Broncs introduce 1st-rounders

By Tom Kensler
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/26/2009 12:03:38 PM MDT
Updated: 04/26/2009 12:10:44 PM MDT

For the first time in franchise history, the Broncos introduced two first-round picks from the same draft day. Knowshon Moreno, the tailback from Georgia, and former Tennessee defensive end Robert Ayers arrived this morning at the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters to meet the coaches, pose for photographs and speak with the media.

There were smiles all around, especially between the former Southeast Conference rivals known for their intense play.

"I work hard, and Robert plays with a high motor also," Moreno said. "He was all over the field."

Moreno, 5-feet-10 and 217 pounds, was selected Saturday at No. 12 of the first round. Ayers followed at No. 18. The Broncos ended up with two No. 1 picks in 1989, with Steve Atwater and Bobby Humphrey, but Humphrey was obtained later in a supplemental draft.

Ayers (6-3, 273) remembered chasing Moreno the past two seasons. Ayers said he had an inkling that the Broncos might choose him, and he was glad that Moreno is also aboard.

"I thought Knowshon was a good fit (for the Broncos) ... the way he runs, his toughness," Ayers said. "He's tough to bring down. He finished every run. He never ran out of bounds. He always tries to get the extra yard."

On the other side of the ball, Ayers said he also plays hard until the whistle blows.

"I'm a very passionate guy, I play with a lot of energy," he said. "I'm a very competitive person. I like to play physical.

"I like to be the aggressor. That's the way I go about things. I train that way. I work that way."

Destiny might have played a part in Moreno gaining a reputation as a smart running back. He explained to reporters about the origin of his unique first name.

His dad's nickname is "Knowledge."

"My mom's name is Varashon," Moreno said. "So Knowshon is a combination of both."

Moreno knows where to run, how to get into a pass pattern and who to block in pass protection. And, most important, he knows he still has much to learn.

"I'll do whatever the Broncos want me to do," Moreno said. "It's about coming in here and competing and learning the system. At Georgia, we had three tailbacks when I got there. I had to learn and compete. That's what's great for the team."

Moreno said he couldn't be happier to be picked by Denver.

"At Georgia, we ran the inside-outside zone, and the Broncos do that," Moreno said. "That's great. I feel comfortable with that."
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'm looking forward to seeing Moreno running for the Broncos. He's a lucky kid. You couldn't find a better RB coach in the NFL than Bobby Turner. And look at the line he's coming into? The kid must feel like he's won the equivalent of the RB lottery. Very cool.

I'm high on Ayers too. I'm very interested to see how Nolan is going to use him. Maybe, like some are guessing, we'll be staying with the base 4-3 for a little longer than we thought. It seems to me that Ayer's strength is rushing from the down position. Lots to look forward to.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Dilfer just selected Knowshon as his prediction for OROY.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Sweet. Two potential big-impact guys in the first round, for both sides of the ball. Nice way to kick things off!
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
anon
Seasoned Veteran

They have to prove it on the field but how can you watch their press conferences and not be impressed with the character of Moreno and Ayers.
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The "McDaniels is an idiot" crowd do not want to like any of these picks.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post

Broncs introduce 1st-rounders

By Tom Kensler
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/26/2009 12:03:38 PM MDT
Updated: 04/26/2009 12:10:44 PM MDT

For the first time in franchise history, the Broncos introduced two first-round picks from the same draft day. Knowshon Moreno, the tailback from Georgia, and former Tennessee defensive end Robert Ayers arrived this morning at the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters to meet the coaches, pose for photographs and speak with the media.

There were smiles all around, especially between the former Southeast Conference rivals known for their intense play.

"I work hard, and Robert plays with a high motor also," Moreno said. "He was all over the field."

Moreno, 5-feet-10 and 217 pounds, was selected Saturday at No. 12 of the first round. Ayers followed at No. 18. The Broncos ended up with two No. 1 picks in 1989, with Steve Atwater and Bobby Humphrey, but Humphrey was obtained later in a supplemental draft.

Ayers (6-3, 273) remembered chasing Moreno the past two seasons. Ayers said he had an inkling that the Broncos might choose him, and he was glad that Moreno is also aboard.

"I thought Knowshon was a good fit (for the Broncos) ... the way he runs, his toughness," Ayers said. "He's tough to bring down. He finished every run. He never ran out of bounds. He always tries to get the extra yard."

On the other side of the ball, Ayers said he also plays hard until the whistle blows.

"I'm a very passionate guy, I play with a lot of energy," he said. "I'm a very competitive person. I like to play physical.

"I like to be the aggressor. That's the way I go about things. I train that way. I work that way."

Destiny might have played a part in Moreno gaining a reputation as a smart running back. He explained to reporters about the origin of his unique first name.

His dad's nickname is "Knowledge."

"My mom's name is Varashon," Moreno said. "So Knowshon is a combination of both."

Moreno knows where to run, how to get into a pass pattern and who to block in pass protection. And, most important, he knows he still has much to learn.

"I'll do whatever the Broncos want me to do," Moreno said. "It's about coming in here and competing and learning the system. At Georgia, we had three tailbacks when I got there. I had to learn and compete. That's what's great for the team."

Moreno said he couldn't be happier to be picked by Denver.

"At Georgia, we ran the inside-outside zone, and the Broncos do that," Moreno said. "That's great. I feel comfortable with that."
Competing isnt good enough. "Bruce" needs to deliver.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Hopefully the Moreno pick turns into red zone success. That would be great. We might need some of that to help us replace the TD's that Cutler used to help us get.

Too bad our Defense is a pile of ****.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote