The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default How our DEFENSIVE LINE is shaping up ....

Myself and many others are confounded why we've drafted ZERO d-linemen for the 3-4, despite the fact D-Line is our weakest unit.

Here's some thoughts:

1. Nolan knows what he's doing, I believe that. If he wants 3 DBs and no nosetackles, there must be a good reason.
2. I read/heard Josh thinks Ayers "plays bigger" than his 272. So he bulks up 10 pounds and plays DE.
3. Darrell Reid was playing SOLB in minicamp, but I'm not buying it. He's 288 for heavens sake, he'll move to DE.
4. Maybe they like Marcus Thomas at DE, maybe they REALLY like him there. That would explain a LOT.
5. They must really like Ron Fields at NT. Must be true, even though he's started only 5 or 6 games in his career.
6. Maybe they LOVE Carlton Powell at NT too ... we've drafted 7 guys now and ZERO nosetackles, so they must love somebody
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

Why is it so hard to understand that this draft is WEAK on 5 technique DEs and NTs You people just want us to draft a guy out of need rather than taking the BPA. Obviously, the staff does not care much for the crop of DL talent this year. I'd rather they take a guy they feel good about rather than reaching for need.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,546

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

We've had picks available for, but passed up:

Ron Brace
Sen'derrick Marks
Sammie Lee Hill
and Terrance Taylor

Four guys that can dominate on the defensive line.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,546

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Why is it so hard to understand that this draft is WEAK on 5 technique DEs and NTs You people just want us to draft a guy out of need rather than taking the BPA. Obviously, the staff does not care much for the crop of DL talent this year. I'd rather they take a guy they feel good about rather than reaching for need.
And that's bull****.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer
 
Finger Roll's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,545
Default

agree. some people on here will always have something to complain about even if we just won the superbowl
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,594

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Fields was a 4th-5th round pick himself, yet idiots firmly believe there is some great catch to get that will be better than Fields or even Powell, yet another 5th round pick. Amazing. Draft one anyway, forget drfating the most talented player who believe is on the board. Yeah, that always works.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,594

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
We've had picks available for, but passed up:

Ron Brace
Sen'derrick Marks
Sammie Lee Hill
and Terrance Taylor

Four guys that can dominate on the defensive line.
Yeah, dominate your ass. Marks isn't even a NT type in a 3-4 and the others are projects. Fields and Powell were also 4th-5th round picks, but those other guys are guaranteed much better options. Clueless.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
And that's bull****.
No, it isn't. You simply don't know what you are talking about. The vast consensus is this is a good draft for edge rushers and poor for DTs. That's a fact. The guys you mentioned would not go where they did in a normal year. Absolute fact.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
We've had picks available for, but passed up:

Ron Brace
Sen'derrick Marks
Sammie Lee Hill
and Terrance Taylor

Four guys that can dominate on the defensive line.
Agreed ... all four would at least become immediate rotational guys.

Beats Mattias Askew and Ryan McBean, hands down.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
No, it isn't. You simply don't know what you are talking about. The vast consensus is this is a good draft for edge rushers and poor for DTs. That's a fact. The guys you mentioned would not go where they did in a normal year. Absolute fact.
That's pretty much what I've read, as well.

If Brace was such a sure-fire candidate, why did he last so long in the draft?

That said, he's the only guy we passed on that makes me a little nervous, only because NE took him.

But, from what I understand of Nolan's system, a big, round slob at NT isn't always a necessity. Sounds to me more like he runs a system that rotates guys around, depending on situations.

Fields is also supposed to be an excellent run-clogger.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
The vast consensus is this is a good draft for edge rushers and poor for DTs.
At the VERY TOP yes ... that's why Everette Brown lasted so long.

But there is high value in those four and others ... for example, we couldda had JARRON FREAKING GILBERT where we drafted a blocking tight end.

JARRON FREAKING GILBERT has insane upside as a 3-4 DE.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

I think people are also discounting the staff's words that we may indeed see plenty of 4-3 sets this year, as well.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Myself and many others are confounded why we've drafted ZERO d-linemen for the 3-4, despite the fact D-Line is our weakest unit.

Here's some thoughts:

1. Nolan knows what he's doing, I believe that. If he wants 3 DBs and no nosetackles, there must be a good reason.
2. I read/heard Josh thinks Ayers "plays bigger" than his 272. So he bulks up 10 pounds and plays DE.
3. Darrell Reid was playing SOLB in minicamp, but I'm not buying it. He's 288 for heavens sake, he'll move to DE.
4. Maybe they like Marcus Thomas at DE, maybe they REALLY like him there. That would explain a LOT.
5. They must really like Ron Fields at NT. Must be true, even though he's started only 5 or 6 games in his career.
6. Maybe they LOVE Carlton Powell at NT too ... we've drafted 7 guys now and ZERO nosetackles, so they must love somebody
All good thoughts. I really think we have the best collection of Defensive coaches in a long time.
McDaniels is the HC, but there can't be any doubt that Nolan is the one deciding upon defensive players.
There's a plan!
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,829

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I think people are also discounting the staff's words that we may indeed see plenty of 4-3 sets this year, as well.
That would explain a lot ... our 2-deep is fairly decent for a 4-3 set.

That'd get WW on the field, too ....
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan
 
PFM / Kopitar

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 5,684

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound
Default

i think it was the senior Bowl that I watched and saw brace basically get pushed wherever the guy wanted to take him, and to be honest I didnt see alot in raji that I would be fired up about getting either. He plays like a soft pud.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
80smith's Avatar
 
Love me some grilled food!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I think people are also discounting the staff's words that we may indeed see plenty of 4-3 sets this year, as well.
Good point.
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #17
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer
 
Hook'em Horns

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,409

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

I'll take a stab at the front 7 opeining day lineup

NT - Fields, Powell
DE - Thomas, Peterson, Reid, Ayers
ROLB - Dumerville, Moss
SOLB - Ayers, Bailey ?
ILB - Williams, AZ guy, Woody,
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,594

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
At the VERY TOP yes ... that's why Everette Brown lasted so long.

But there is high value in those four and others ... for example, we couldda had JARRON FREAKING GILBERT where we drafted a blocking tight end.

JARRON FREAKING GILBERT has insane upside as a 3-4 DE.
NEWSFLASH: The Broncos didn't like Gilbert that much to take him there. Gilbert also has high bust potential since toughness and agressiveness are questioned and even a move to the OL had been discussed. But the Broncos should just take him even if they don't have him rated highly. Sound stuff.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #19
orange crusher
Predominately Orange
 
orange crusher's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 2,622
Default

My theory is that we really won't be seeing as much 3-4 as everyone thinks. One of the first things McDaniels said was that they would play whatever best fit the players strengths. I really think we'll see a hybrid that consists of mostly 4-3, with some 3-4 looks thrown in. After the coaching staff had time to evaluate the current players, I think they just felt that they couldn't complete the transition to a 3-4 in one year. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it - I think it's the only way to keep my sanity after this draft.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
STBumpkin
burnin' it at both ends
 
STBumpkin's Avatar
 
Livin' The Dream

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bowie, MD
Posts: 753

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
And that's bull****.
Sorry, I'm gonna have to take a proven defensive coordinator's evaluation over your's
STBumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #21
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,704

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I think people are also discounting the staff's words that we may indeed see plenty of 4-3 sets this year, as well.
Bingo.

And now we have several transitional pieces to get us from 4-3 to 3-4.
Ayers, Reid, and Dumervil will probably be asked to line up at DE, but drop into coverage more often as we transition to the 3-4.

We have two NT sized bodies, and two others that can conceivably handle the job in rotation.

We will be a hybrid, which is what the coaches have alluded to all along. We just need to sit back and watch this happen.

The run game should rock, however.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,706

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Belichick took Brace three picks after Mac traded next year's first for Big Al Smith. But I'm sure, like some of the experts realize on this board, Belichick doesn't realize this is a ****ty draft for DTs and he's an idiot for taking one. I'm guessing Belichick doesn't know much about the position. Fortunately, I can come here where the true knowledge lurks.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,201

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
2. I read/heard Josh thinks Ayers "plays bigger" than his 272. So he bulks up 10 pounds and plays DE.
i am thinking Ayers will be our SOLB in the base 3-4 and when we switch into 4-3 allignments he will move to DE and put his hand in the dirt.

he is going to play all over and be asked to do a lot. somewhat our version of Adalius Thomas, sort of a Terrell Suggs, OLB/DE player for us.

i think his best bet would be to stay at around 275, so that he is capable of keeping speed as a LB, but also has a good amount of bulk to play on the line at DE.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,026

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBumpkin View Post
Sorry, I'm gonna have to take a proven defensive coordinator's evaluation over your's
A "proven" defensive coordinator was responsible for drafting Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder. Just sayin'.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #25
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often
 
Atlas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 18,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
I'll take a stab at the front 7 opeining day lineup

NT - Fields, Powell
DE - Thomas, Peterson, Reid, Ayers
ROLB - Dumerville, Moss
SOLB - Ayers, Bailey ?
ILB - Williams, AZ guy, Woody,
Powell played the run well in college but he weighs only 305 lbs.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Denver Broncos