The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
mikeauran
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Walter Football - Draft Grade

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009den.php

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

12. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
With Tyson Jackson and B.J. Raji off the board, the Broncos didn't have many options here. They took the best player available in Knowshon Moreno. Denver's defense will continue to be epically horrific, but once again, Denver didn't have much of a choice. (Pick Grade: A)

18. Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
I don't like this at all. Robert Ayers is a 1-year starter who wasn't nearly as productive as some of the other first-round prospects in this class. Ayers isn't a natural fit for the 3-4. Does he balloon up and play on the line? Do you play him at rush linebacker and get debacled in coverage? Then again, this pick was made by the same man who wanted a system quarterback over Jay Cutler. (Pick Grade: C)

37. Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
Alphonso Smith is an OK pick. I don't know what the Browns plan on doing with their defensive line. The reason for the F? Denver gave up a 2010 first-round pick! If it was Denver's choice and not Chicago's, the Seahawks could be picking in the top five next April. (Pick Grade: F)

48. Darcel McBath, FS, Texas Tech
I guess you can never have too many defensive backs, eh? The Broncos needed a free safety to take over for Brian Dawkins in a year or two, but I really have to wonder what they're going to do with their defensive line. (Pick Grade: B)

64. Richard Quinn, TE, North Carolina
Yet another confusing move by Josh McDaniels, who moved up into this selection. You don't take a blocking tight end in the second round, especially when you have huge holes on your defensive line. It's amazing to me that some teams just don't understand the concept of positional value. I don't care if Quinn becomes a very good player; this selection deserves a Z- because blocking tight ends should never go over defensive linemen in Round 2. (Pick Grade: Z-)

114. David Bruton, FS, Notre Dame
Another defensive back, Josh? I like David Bruton, but it's very apparent that Josh McDaniels has absolutely no idea how to put an NFL team together. What are the Broncos going to do with their defensive line? (Pick Grade: C)

132. Seth Olsen, G, Iowa
Adding offensive line depth is never a bad idea. Reaching for prospects and ignoring the defensive line? That's another story. (Pick Grade: D)

141. Kenny McKinley, WR, South Carolina
Josh McDaniels is either really smart by finding these unknown players who are being considered reaches right now... or he'll be fired by Jan. 1, 2011. I'll lay -200 on the latter. (Pick Grade: D)
mikeauran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
NASurfer
orange/blue

Hungry Playmaker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
this selection deserves a Z- because blocking tight ends should never go over defensive linemen in Round 2. (Pick Grade: Z-)
That's freaking hilarious. There are probably DL question marks aplenty for 3-4 teams in this year's draft but it's hilarious anyway.
NASurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Clearly Josh McDaniels just doesn't know what the NFL draft is all about!
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
Clearly Josh McDaniels just doesn't know what the NFL draft is all about!
Feel free to turn in your resume and see if you can do any better. The haters on this board amaze me.

Last edited by Denver724; 04-26-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Agree with every word.

I like Alphonso Smith, but we gave up what might be a Top 5 pick ....!!!!!!

McD is acting the child he is ... "I want it NOW!" ... no planning for the future, no delaying gratification ... just trade up, trade up, trade up, trade up.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

McD is totally clueless
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Sounds like one of the pussies on this board wrote it.

Is this some 8th grader with a blog or something?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

we don't have any room to trade up next year and draft a QB, looks like McD is willing to get fired with Orton.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
Feel free to turn in your resume and see if you can do any better. The haters on this board amaze me.
WOOOSH over your head.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Fired?

You guys are really a sad bunch.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Agree with every word.

I like Alphonso Smith, but we gave up what might be a Top 5 pick ....!!!!!!

McD is acting the child he is ... "I want it NOW!" ... no planning for the future, no delaying gratification ... just trade up, trade up, trade up, trade up.
Planning for the future is exactly what he's doing. He made 5 day one picks, and specifically targeted the guys he wanted. It's clear that McDaniels felt it was best to get the players the staff wanted into the fold now, to begin developing them immediately.

That's how you start "planning for the future," not playing Madden Playstation football and stocking 400 draft picks for next year.

This team had gaping holes everywhere and we're installing a new system. Our staff has been extremely active to fill them.

But, you're afraid of your own ****ing shadow. I don't expect you to step back and take any sort of rational look at all of this.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Sounds like one of the pussies on this board wrote it.

Is this some 8th grader with a blog or something?
Lol sounds like it.

We're going to be "epically" horrific. He dropped "debacled"...maybe it's Emmit Smith.

And, not like it matters in the 5th round, but how the hell is Kenny McKinley an "unkown" player? How could any self proclaimed guru let that slip?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:

McD is acting the child he is ... "I want it NOW!" .

He'll probably end up like Varuca Salt, too.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I don't think anyone can say this was a good review. A lot of our picks were pretty good players. Dogging on the guard because "we haven't taken a defensive lineman" yet and so the pick gets a D? That's incredibly dumb. He didn't even evaluate the player. He just said D becuase it wasn't a defensive lineman. The worst drafts in history are the ones where you put need ahead of talent.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #15
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Fired?

You guys are really a sad bunch.

Rabble rabble rabble!
Old 04-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...no planning for the future, no delaying gratification...
I don't totally disagree with your post, but how is drafting young DB's to eventually replace your old ones (and all of our starters are on the wrong side of 30) not planning for the future?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #17
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I can't believe we traded our pick next year knowing that we are in a complete build mode. To boot, we have probably the toughest schedule in the NFL. We'll be lucky to go 5-11 or 6-10. A top 10 pick was just traded away for Alphonso Smith. Lots of fail. I love the Broncos but these are sad times for the Orange n Blue diehards.

And we have idiots around here claiming that we're doing good things by trading around... it shows that McD is in command and can work his way around the board. BS. We screwed the pooch. DL and LB were the biggest issues going into the draft. What did we do to secure those positions... POPPS?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

He'll probably end up like Varuca Salt, too.
He's going to jack secret candy from Willy Wonka and blow up into a blueberry?

Lol wait no that wasn't her. hh he's going to fall down a rotten egg chute? Ah now I get it...very good very good.

Last edited by WABronco; 04-26-2009 at 12:23 PM..
Old 04-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Planning for the future is exactly what he's doing. He made 5 day one picks, and specifically targeted the guys he wanted. It's clear that McDaniels felt it was best to get the players the staff wanted into the fold now, to begin developing them immediately.

That's how you start "planning for the future," not playing Madden Playstation football and stocking 400 draft picks for next year.

This team had gaping holes everywhere and we're installing a new system. Our staff has been extremely active to fill them.

But, you're afraid of your own ****ing shadow. I don't expect you to step back and take any sort of rational look at all of this.
Bull**** he's planning for the future. He's running around like a scared little biatch. I really don't get you. Sometimes you seem like a smart guy that can post and follow in an intelligent manner. You support giving up quite possibly a top 10 pick in next year's draft... You want to talk about sad Popps, take a look in the mirror. You've become a blind follower yourself with no grasp on reality. Tell me genius, what are we going to do at DT? Hope like hell somebody gets cut in August so we can plum him in for September. Jeezus Popps, I really thought you were smarter than this. I'm as disappointed in you as I am in the fact that we haven't addressed our biggest needs along the DLine!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #20
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:
WOOOSH over your head.
Not really. I just don't think you know what the **** your talking about.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #21
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Fair analysis. Only thing I would change on the grades is Moreno to B+ because of the needs ignored. I would also increase Ayers from C to B/B+ because of how highly Mayock regards him. The other grades are very fair.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #22
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
Not really. I just don't think you know what the **** your talking about.
Have you not been watching ESPN, at all?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #23
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

and the BIGGEST one of those gaping holes is D-LINE and they totally ignored it!!! just amazing
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #24
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Have you not been watching ESPN, at all?
? I think I am going to wait AT LEAST until the end of August before I reflect on this draft. The players need to show what they can do on the field. It is hard to believe all the negative comments on this board concerning our draft.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
DL and LB were the biggest issues going into the draft. What did we do to secure those positions... POPPS?
First of all, LB is not the biggest need. We actually have quite a few good ones.

Secondly, you don't reach for need. The DT's in this class sucked. If you don't think they'll pan out, you don't take one "just because". Now I would have taken Ron Brace with the Alphonso pick, but we'll just have to wait and see here. You draft BPA, not for need. If all these picks blossom into good players then we did the right thing. If not and the team still sucks then we didn't.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote