The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default Seth Olson

Overview
Nationally underrated, Olsen leaves Iowa as a first-team All-Big Ten selection and a rising prospect on NFL boards due to his size, strength, durability and versatility. A four-year contributor, Olsen started each of the past two seasons, primarily on the right side of the line, but also seeing some action at left tackle.

He was first-team All-Big Ten selection by the media and coaches while primarily at right guard in 2008 after garnering honorable mention honors at right tackle as a junior. A strong showing throughout the week at the East-West Shrine Game might have secured Olsen's place as a second-day draft selection.

Analysis
Positives: Naturally large man with good weight distribution. Good initial quickness off the snap. Very good hand placement and upper-body strength. Seems to enjoy the physical hand-to-hand combat inside the trenches. Good strength to latch onto the defender, turn and either sustain his position or toss the defender onto ground for a pancake block. Underrated short-area lateral quickness and balance to hold up in pass protection. Plays with good leverage despite his height. Versatile blocker who has started at right guard, right tackle and left tackle over the past two years. Impressive week of practice at the East-West Shrine game.

Negatives: Strong and technically refined, but isn't an elite athlete. Only phone-booth quickness. Struggles adjusting in space at the second level. Lumbers after a few steps and is forced to lunge at defenders. Lacks the deep kick-step and elite lateral quickness to handle the left tackle position, though he has experience there. May struggle on the outside at right tackle.

2007 Season
2007 Honors - - Named honorable mention all-Big Ten by league coaches . . . Hustle Team Award, offense . . . started at right tackle in opening win over Northern Illinois as offense rushed for 250 yards and gained 383 yards total offense . . . started at right tackle in win over Syracuse as offense gained 408 yards total offense . . . started at right tackle and played every offensive down in loss at Iowa State . . . started at right tackle in loss at Wisconsin before moving over to play right guard for majority of the game . . . started at right guard in loss to Indiana at offense gained 428 yards total offense . . . started at right tackle and played every offensive down in loss at Penn State . . . started at right tackle and played every offensive down in win over 18th-ranked Illinois as offense rushed for 141 yards and gained 323 yards total offense . . . started at right tackle in loss at Purdue . . . started at right tackle in double OT win over Michigan State as offense gained 230 yards rushing . . . started at right tackle and played every offensive down in win over Northwestern as offense gained 299 passing yards and 369 yards total offense . . . started at right tackle and played every offensive down in win over Minnesota . . . started at right tackle and played every offensive down in loss to Western Michigan as offense gained 397 yards total offense.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wasn't someone on the board talking about this guy pre-draft? Seems like someone was.

I have no idea, but I know this is where you can get great value on OL. (Mid rounds.) Sounds like more of a mauler than the finesse guys we usually draft.
But, we've had some maulers, too. (Habib.)

This doesn't shock me. Glad we did it in the later rounds, but not a surprise. I think we'll be getting a bit bigger on the line over time.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Is this the replacement for Hamilton?

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
i think so, with Lichtensteiger the replacement for Weigman
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Another guy known as being tough. That's the common theme with this draft class for the Broncos.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So if they don't draft some project DL, which at this stage that's what you're getting, you assume they won't do something this summer in free agency? There will be and even now, there are some available and my guess is the Broncos like that idea better than drafting guys they don't have highly rated and may never be ready to play. You find fault with that thinking?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
That's the common theme with this draft class for the Broncos.
That, and failing to address our biggest need.

Still no 3-4 D-Linemen .....
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Too late for anything meaningful in free agency ....
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Good find Popps.

And Bronco Buff, he's a better player as a replacement for Hamilton with versatility to play right tackle as well than any other guys left on the board along the D line would be of use to us in the 3-4 after round one and two. The final 5 rounds there wasn't a lot of 3-4 line talent to chose from anyway. No wonder they focused on building up the core of the team and bringing solid depth who can start in a couple years.

If by June when the next round of FA starts, if they feel they really need someone else specifically on the D line rotation, they will make a trade. With Ayers adding some Rush and run stopping he will free up Doom more as well and I suspect they are going to coach up who we have and roll with that..

One thing is for sure, each guy they have taken is a very solid player at their positions and McD obviously did his homework on every one we have selected. No shots in the dark here so we'll be fine.

Next year the only possible needs on offense we might have is for another backup center ( depending on Lichtenstieger this year) and maybe a QB depending on Orton, so the rest of the draft is all defense next year... and we should be able to fill out the D line and maybe one other LB spot if necessary and we might be pretty damn well in good shape then, plus a few good FA moves next March.

We really aren't that far away guys. With a little luck.

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-26-2009 at 11:53 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Too late for anything meaningful in free agency ....
Vonnie Holliday is still out there. He'd make a solid contributor at one of the 3-4 DE spots.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer

I hadn't heard of this guy before but reading on him he looks like a good prospect. I have been longing to replace Hamilton, he just looks weak out there to me.

OL for the next 10+ years.

LT: Clady
LG: Olson
C: Lichtensteiger
RG: Kuper
RT: Harris

Lets just hope this Olson and Lichtensteiger turn out as good as the rest and we are set for the forseeable future.
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
I hadn't heard of this guy before but reading on him he looks like a good prospect. I have been longing to replace Hamilton, he just looks weak out there to me.

OL for the next 10+ years.

LT: Clady
LG: Olson
C: Lichtensteiger
RG: Kuper
RT: Harris

Lets just hope this Olson and Lichtensteiger turn out as good as the rest and we are set for the forseeable future.

LMAO... Already got this guy pegged in there for the next 10 years huh?
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I am biased (I know I say that a lot) being a Hawkeye but I like this pick, Olsen is a very solid OL and will do well here. Making the line set for the future is a good thing, he has the tools and Ferentz is a fantastic line coach on both sides.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
If by June when the next round of FA starts, if they feel they really need someone else specifically on the D line rotation, they will make a trade. With Ayers adding some Rush and run stopping he will free up Doom more as well and I suspect they are going to coach up who we have and roll with that..
There's no cap next year, so there is not June 1 dividing line like in years past.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Maybe in a couple years.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
That's pretty much what I was thinking. He's had some concussion damage and Hamilton would thrive better in a zone scheme where his athleticism can be better utilized. We're going to have beefy guys that need to man up. Hamilton get's pushed around a bit against power tackles and McDaniels has said not getting pushed around will be a priority for the offensive line this year.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Good find Popps.

And Bronco Buff, he's a better player as a replacement for Hamilton with versatility to play right tackle as well than any other guys left on the board along the D line would be of use to us in the 3-4 after round one and two. The final 5 rounds there wasn't a lot of 3-4 line talent to chose from anyway. No wonder they focused on building up the core of the team and bringing solid depth who can start in a couple years.

One thing is for sure, each guy they have taken is a very solid player at their positions and McD obviously did his homework on every one we have selected. No shots in the dark here so we'll be fine.

Next year the only possible needs on offense we might have is for another backup center ( depending on Lichtenstieger this year) and maybe a QB depending on Orton, so the rest of the draft is all defense next year... and we should be able to fill out the D line and maybe one other LB spot if necessary and we might be pretty damn well in good shape then, plus a few good FA moves next March.

We really aren't that far away guys. With a little luck.
This is definitely a "build for the future" pick. (Again) People won't see it that way, but this is a foundation-type pick that we'll be glad we made down the road. (Provided he can play.)

I like that he sounds like he can push some guys around. I expect a move to some bigger, meaner linemen as time goes on.

This also falls in line with the theory (which I believe) that McDaniels and Co. are building an offense that takes care of its QB, instead of trying to hitch the entire team to one QB... hoping he doesn't get hurt, etc.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Overview
Analysis
Positives: Naturally large man with good weight distribution. Good initial quickness off the snap. Very good hand placement and upper-body strength. Seems to enjoy the physical hand-to-hand combat inside the trenches. Good strength to latch onto the defender, turn and either sustain his position or toss the defender onto ground for a pancake block. Underrated short-area lateral quickness and balance to hold up in pass protection. Plays with good leverage despite his height. Versatile blocker who has started at right guard, right tackle and left tackle over the past two years. Impressive week of practice at the East-West Shrine game.

Negatives: Strong and technically refined, but isn't an elite athlete. Only phone-booth quickness. Struggles adjusting in space at the second level. Lumbers after a few steps and is forced to lunge at defenders. Lacks the deep kick-step and elite lateral quickness to handle the left tackle position, though he has experience there. May struggle on the outside at right tackle.
Phone booth quickness? Never heard that one before.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
LMAO... Already got this guy pegged in there for the next 10 years huh?
Maybe I jumped that one a bit, I just really want Hamilton off of that line. But my point is that if he pans out our O-Line is set.
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote