The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default David Bruton

mcd likes his secondary..

Quote:
Overview Bruton flashed as a playmaker in his first season as a starter in 2007, when he had 85 tackles, three interceptions and 4.5 tackles for loss. His production increased in some ways during his senior year (91 tackles, four interceptions, two forced fumbles), but his overall play did not result in Notre Dame's defensive improvement. A team captain, he has the size, speed and athleticism to potentially be a good starter and very good special teams player at the next level.

High School Graduated from Miamisburg (Ohio) High School ... Made 54 tackles, three interceptions and broke up seven passes as a senior ... Caught 10 passes for 200 yards as a receiver ... Averaged 41 yards on four kickoff returns ... Earned All-Division I-II all-area honors from Dayton Daily News ... Won all-district honors on defense ... All-conference and special mention all-Southwest Ohio as a junior ... As a junior in 2003, intercepted eight passes, made 58 tackles and had 270 receiving yards ... Attended Notre Dame football camp in the summer of 2004 ... Coached by Tim Lewis.

Last edited by tsiguy96; 04-26-2009 at 10:02 AM..
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Another safety. Don't know anything about this guy. He must not like the DL in this draft.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
backup qb
Ring of Famer

Didn't we spend 37 million in free agency to upgrade the secondary? I have no problem drafting some additional depth but 3 picks already?
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Good player. But he can't play NT.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Bruton is a good player. We have addressed the S position that's for sure. I'm sure Drek is happy that we got one of his golden domers.

Again, though, the theme of the draft continues: the player is a quality one in the abstract, and will be helpful (and S is a position of need), but the greatest position of needs are STILL being ignored.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Overview
Bruton flashed as a playmaker in his first season as a starter in 2007, when he had 85 tackles, three interceptions and 4.5 tackles for loss. His production increased in some ways during his senior year (91 tackles, four interceptions, two forced fumbles), but his overall play did not result in Notre Dame's defensive improvement. A team captain, he has the size, speed and athleticism to potentially be a good starter and very good special teams player at the next level.

Analysis
Positives: Centerfielder with good height and upper-body build. … Nice straight-line speed and overall athleticism for his size. … Usually able to track down ballcarriers from behind, although he will usually take the correct angle to prevent the catastrophic play. … Covers a lot of ground in the deep half, with the ability to high-point the ball on the sideline for the interception. … Good hands make to quarterbacks pay for overthrows. … Also moves inside-out well to get to ballcarriers on stretch plays, either behind the line of scrimmage or working through trash. … Breaks down well, getting low to make the tackle in the open field. … Long enough to wrap up in space and get a hand on the ball to force the turnover. … Major special teams contributor for the Irish as a gunner, winning hand-play at the line, beating the double team, showing good speed down the field and securing the tackle. … Good leader and hard worker.

Negatives: Stiff in the hips. … Has trouble flipping open in transition. … Adequate closing on underneath patterns and staying with tight ends, but struggles manning up against quicker receivers. … Needs to improve reading quarterback so he can be involved in more plays. … Not physical enough against the run or in coverage. … Often loses hand battles and fights for the ball with receivers. … Doesn't explode into tackles, but is more of a catcher. … Running backs drive through his arm tackles. … Will whiff in the open field when ducking his head instead of seeing what he hits.

2007 Season
Ranked third on the team and tops in the secondary with 85 tackles … also posted one sack, 4.5 tackles for loss, three interceptions, two passes broken up, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery … played in all 12 contests, starting 11 games at free safety (did not start vs. Navy) … notched five games with at least nine tackles … started first career game in season opener vs. Georgia Tech … recorded best game in his Irish career, recording career highs with nine tackles, two tackles for loss and one sack … suited up vs. Penn State, making two tackles (one solo, one assist) … led the Irish with nine tackles against Michigan … led the Irish in solo tackles with eight (totalled 15) against Michigan State … added an interception vs. the Spartans in the second quarter … recorded three solo tackles against Purdue … recorded one interception with a 17-yard return vs. UCLA to set up first Irish touchdown … made four solo tackles vs. the Bruins … had six solo tackles vs. Boston College … had one forced fumble against USC … made two solo and 3 assisted tackles vs. the Trojans … made four tackles (two solo, two assist) vs. Navy … recorded 13 tackles (seven solo, six assist) against Air Force … made six tackles (three solo/three assisted) and had a fumble recovery against Duke … tied for the team lead (with Tom Zbikowski and Joe Brockington) with nine tackles vs. Stanford … made his third interception of the season at Stanford … logged 319:02 of playing time and made 169 special teams appearances … named defensive MVP of the 2007 Blue-Gold Game after returning an interception 35 yards for a touchdown and recording four tackles.

2006 Season
Played in 12 of 13 games for the Irish, on both special teams and as a reserve safety … recorded 11 special teams tackles … recorded 18 total tackles on the season … after making first appearance of season against Penn State, recorded two tackles against Michigan … recorded three tackles against Stanford … made solo tackles against Purdue and UCLA … recorded a season-high five tackles in home finale against Army, including one for loss … registered two tackles in final regular season game at USC … recorded four special teams tackles in the Sugar Bowl against LSU … logged 85:02 of playing time.

2005 Season
Played in 11 games, primarily on special teams … made 14 tackles (10 solos) and broke up a pass … recorded his first career tackle (solo) against Michigan … made one solo tackle at safety in the win at Washington … had a huge day on kickoff coverage at Purdue, logging five solo tackles and stopping return men inside the Purdue 20 on three occasions … also played 3:55 at safety against the Boilermakers … did not play against USC … made 17 special teams appearances versus BYU … made two tackles (one solo) on special teams against Tennessee … made two tackles (one solo) on special teams in the win over Navy … made two tackles (one solo) in the win over Stanford … assisted on his lone tackle of the game against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl … logged 3:55 of playing time with 162 special teams appearances.

High School
Graduated from Miamisburg (Ohio) High School … Made 54 tackles, three interceptions and broke up seven passes as a senior … Caught 10 passes for 200 yards as a receiver … Averaged 41 yards on four kickoff returns … Earned All-Division I-II all-area honors from Dayton Daily News … Won all-district honors on defense … All-conference and special mention all-Southwest Ohio as a junior … As a junior in 2003, intercepted eight passes, made 58 tackles and had 270 receiving yards … Attended Notre Dame football camp in the summer of 2004 … Coached by Tim Lewis.

Personal
Full name is David Lee Bruton … Born July 23, 1987, in Winchester, Ky. … Older of two children … Enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters, majoring in political science and sociology
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

mayock is saying he LOVES the picks and doesnt even mind where they were taken, but the only complaint he has about our picks are HOW we got some of them.

but in general, he is very, very satisfied with the picks.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Does McIDIOT know he picked up a couple of players in the secondary during FA? This Draft speaks of utter ignorance, probably because they fired our scouting staff a month before the draft.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Bruton is a good player. We have addressed the S position that's for sure. I'm sure Drek is happy that we got one of his golden domers.

Again, though, the theme of the draft continues: the player is a quality one in the abstract, and will be helpful (and S is a position of need), but the greatest position of needs are STILL being ignored.
SoCal--I think it is clear that the front office does not put a lot of value in the DL available in this draft. Do you really want them to pick a guy out of need over a prospect they have rated higher and feel more confident in? And it isn't like the picks we made were not need at need areas (with the exception of the Quinn pick).
Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

This looks like a pickup for special teams help.
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Hallside
Solid Starter

John Fox is Stupid

Amazing workout. I've wanted him since the combine.
Hallside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
Good player. But he can't play NT.
This draft was piss poor at NT beyond Raji. You guys want us to draft a NT just for the sake of it even if there are better guys available?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Next player taken: Sammie Lee Hill This dude has a touch.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #14
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Safety David Bruton offers good combination of size, speed
By
Brad Biggs
on April 24, 2009 5:21 PM

David Bruton is hopeful that his teammates get some good luck this weekend but the Notre Dame free safety could be the only Fighting Irish player drafted this weekend.

There is a parallel between the final recruiting class of Ty Willingham at the school and the performance by the Irish last season, that's for sure. The NFL doesn't see the talent either.

Bruton is a projected mid-round pick with a good combination of size and range. He met with the Bears' coaching staff at the Senior Bowl in January but has not had much contact since. Bruton did make two official visits to Denver and the New York Jets and the Broncos are particularly interested as they also put him through a private workout on campus.

"I have heard anywhere between late second to fifth, I don't know,'' Bruton said. "Wherever I fall is where I fall. At the end of the day, I still have to make the team and eventually become a starter wherever I go."

Bruton is an interesting player because he has good size at 6-2, 219 pounds, and he runs well and has good lateral quickness. Scouts knock him for being stiff in the hips and he's not considered to be real instinctive, a trait that's significant for the last line of defense. He could turn into an in-the-box player.

"Everyone of us has our own niche, what we do better than the other,'' Bruton said. "What I would bring to the table is just my range and communication, which is the key in the back end. I'm a hard worker and I know the other guys work hard. I think what would set me apart is my range.

"Being this big and still being able to run in the mid 4.4's or the low 4.4's, I feel that is advantageous for me."

The last time only one Irish player was drafted was 2000 when Jarious Jackson lasted until the seventh round.

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-26-2009 at 10:16 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
SoCal--I think it is clear that the front office does not put a lot of value in the DL available in this draft. Do you really want them to pick a guy out of need over a prospect they have rated higher and feel more confident in? And it isn't like the picks we made were not need at need areas (with the exception of the Quinn pick).
Quite frankly, I don't particularly care what the FO thinks, since they haven't proven ****. But even if they didn't like what was there at their pick, since they were willing to piss away picks, they should have moved up for defensive prospects they did like. They absolutely have to get DL to make the 3-4 work. Our LBs are going to have the DL thrown back in their laps all season at this rate. You've got to get some 3-4 DL prospects,even if they are flawed.

Go Canes!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
Does McIDIOT know he picked up a couple of players in the secondary during FA? This Draft speaks of utter ignorance, probably because they fired our scouting staff a month before the draft.
I can't IMAGINE why the Broncos haven't hired you...
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I just don't see how you could watch this defense last year and not be thrilled that they are addressing Safety in this draft. We had the absolute worst safety play in the history of football (FAR worse than our d-line play).

This defense would have been much better, maybe even average, if the safeties wouldn't have let 10 yard gains turn into touchdowns on a really regular basis.

Hopefully the rookie safeties will start to fix that.

From what I can tell Bruton is a monster with tackling issues (which is why he's a 4th rounder). If they can develop him and improve his tackling he has the possibility of being quite special. Tremendous upside.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yes--ignorance of fans like you who want us to draft guys just out of need over better players (who are at need positions in any case).
Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

Yep, actually I am.

Bruton is the only ND guy I'd care to see us take this year (or probably for a few years to go from here out). I'd actually targeted him with this pick in the OM mock but he was taken before I had the chance to grab him.

I really like Bruton, he's got center fielder speed and ball skills but the size of an in the box safety.

My only concern is it doesn't bode well for Josh Barrett, who I like as well, sticking around real long. But then in the middle of the 4th Bruton is real good value, so maybe they just see it as adding layers of depth to make sure they come away with some difference makers.

Hell, in the 4th he's a good pick just based on what he can add to our special teams coverage.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #20
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I am excited about the infusion of young, quality talent at S.

I just wish we took the DL seriously. That's the whole lynchpin of the scheme.

If we're going to rely on Powell/Fields, Thomas and Peterson, then I guess we're putting a thousand bucks on Bob's Mom showing up in Playboy.

Go Canes!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #21
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

Ever heard of Sammie Lee hill or Terrance Taylor?
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #22
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
This draft was piss poor at NT beyond Raji. You guys want us to draft a NT just for the sake of it even if there are better guys available?
good point, but Sammie Lee Hill may have been a decent pick there...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #23
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Goodman will be 31 when the season starts... Dawkins will be 36... Reynaldo Hill will be 31.

Those were the free agents we signed and it's not like Champ is any younger. We have a pretty damn old secondary and I don't think Barrett is ready yet.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I just don't agree with this ignore the front seven phil. Nothing against bruton, but a secondary is worthless without a front seven
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #25
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Presumably we will play a 04 front, no defensive linemen, 4 linebackers and 7 defensive backs.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote