The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default SoCal's Thoughts on Day One

My thoughts:

1a. Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia- There's no question that Knowshon is a talented player. He is elusive, creative and instinctive. He's also a credible threat out of the backfield and a very good blocker. He jukes a little too much and did not really explode his final year as much as I thought he would. Nonetheless, Mayock likes him the best of the RBs. This is a theme of the Broncos draft: in the abstract, the player selected is a quality player, but it does not appear that the Broncos have their priorities set properly. While we did have a ton of RBs hit the IR last year, RB at this spot was absolutely nothing more than a mere luxury....a luxury that we could not afford. The point was raised that perhaps the team did not like who was there among the defensive players. So what? The team appeared to be more than willing to give up valuable assets to move around in the draft, so it would necessarily follow that they should have done that to secure the defensive prospects they did like, or that they needed (i.e. 3-4 NT such as Raji or Brace). I am lukewarm about this selection because of the surrounding needs issues that were neglected, although the idea of Moreno and Hillis in the same backfield is certainly intriguing (and exciting). I am definitely excited to see that.

1b. Robert Ayers DE Tennessee- Ayers absolutely lit it up in the Senior Bowl practices. And those practices are very instructive because one can weigh a prospect against the very best at opposing positions. One need not resort to finding game tape of the player against a quality opponent, you can see it right there. It has been noted that Ayers is a versatile prospect, but it seems that given his weight, he would be best used as a 3-4 SOLB. Someone suggested that hopefully he could be our Adalius Thomas. The best argument in favor of this prospect is that he's Mayock's favorite and that is high praise indeed. But even Mayock suggested that it may take three years for him to really develop. Does this staff have that much time? Thankfully, if we revert back to a 4-3 in the next regime, I think Ayers could fit well as a DE there.

2a. Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest- It was an error of biblical proportions for Denver to sacrifice its own 2010 first round selection to move up to secure the services of this cornerback. Denver is likely to be selecting in the Top 10 and maybe even Top 5 in the next draft, which will be a deeper draft. To throw that away because you have a hard on for a small cornerback is irrational. Now, Smith is a gifted player and despite his size, he can definitely play. However, it appears that he would be best in the slot or against smaller recievers as he would struggle against king-sized possession recievers. There is a credible argument that Denver did need to get younger at this position given that Bailey is getting older and the FA additions were not spring chickens themselves, but this does not justify addressing the position this high (and elevating it over the DL) and it absolutely does not justify burning the 2010 pick. I don't know whether we are a hardheaded franchise or what, but the lesson has been demonstrated to us over and over again the last few years that it is best to build the defense from the front going backwards not vice versa. That's especially true in a 3-4 when the NT is at the fulcrum of the defense. We have not learned that lesson.

2b. Darcel McBath S Texas Tech- It is certainly reasonable for Denver to address their safety need. They did acquire short term answers to the position in FA, but obviously there was a need for an infusion of young talent as well. The problem is that by this point in the draft, Denver STILL had not really addressed the Defensive Line. What we needed to do, if we were going to trade up, was trade up from 48 to the late 30s to take Ron Brace ahead of NE, using this pick along with a 3rd, rather than burning both thirds on some blocking TE and also burning the first next year. The DL absolutely needed to be addressed, esp. NT before S. And it wasn't. And it still hasn't. With regard to McBath, he does bring more of presence in the pass defense than we are used to, which is refreshing, but Rashad Johnson of Alabama would have been a better choice. Johnson is very instinctive and a ballhawk who succeeded in a tougher conference. McBath is a solid prospect, but this was a bit of a reach and he made a large share of his big plays (and picks) in a single game last season. His range is solid, however and between McBath and Barrett, perhaps we will have a credible young duo of safeties for the future (when Dawkins and Hill are ready to go in about 2 years).

2c. Richard Quinn TE UNC- This is just flat out criminal negligence. There appears to be no rhyme or reason, here. Daniel Graham is a top-flight blocking TE. He is still fairly young and is devastatingly effective (and still has a few years left on his deal). Why would we get another blocking TE? Especially when, again, we STILL hadn't addressed the 3-4 NT or DE position. An argument could be made that if they planned to ship Scheffler out, a pass catching TE would be needed (if that were even used in this offense), but even that rationale wouldn't work here. It might work with someone like the underrated and forgotten but highly talented Cornelius Ingram, but not this stiff. This was a joke. And burning the two thirds (even though they got a 4th back) was probably the worst part of it.

Best Thing Denver Did: They avoided Rey Maualauga.
Worst Thing Denver Did: (Tie) An amazing disregard for draft pick assets and a failure to address the 3-4 DL positions in any way.

Overall Grade: D

Go Canes!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 04-25-2009 at 09:24 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Nail on the head.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I have rarely seen a team do worse maneuvering than Denver did today.

I thought McDaniels was a NE guy....NE guys don't wet their pants and trade their 2 3rd round picks to draft a blocking TE that would have been there in the 3rd round. They don't trade a high 2010 draft pick to draft a corner in the 2nd round.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Sanity still exists.... Thank you socal
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Rey Maualuga would have been better than all of these players combined at helping us at our point of greatest need: Stopping the run.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Scary how much I agree with this ... wouldn't change a word.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

We spent a ****load of our free agent resources on assorted running backs....and then we draft one with our first pick.

I am cool with the Moreno pick, but I am sure all the RBs McDaniels conned into signing here are all like WTF?
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think we took Moreno at the 12 because there was no defensive player there that wowed us.

A lot of people were not impressed with Orakpo. Mayock compared him to Gholston.

I was not happy at first with the pick but it makes sense.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

They must REALLY like Ron Fields and Kenny Peterson.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

finally a quality summary at every position. QFMFT
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The thing that sucks is that if we lose because of a failure to address NT, we may have been in a position to maneuver, or even outright draft, Terence Cody...or someone else. One thing that is kind of interesting is that every pick today was the kind that can typically step in and be productive fairly soon (provided they can play). RBs, CBs, Ss, and TEs, typically can produce in their rookie years. So can LBs, and that makes me wonder if Ayers, is projected as a LB in our scheme. It almost seems like Il Duce is putting everything into this one season and is throwing the team under the bus to do it.

Again, much of this goes back to Pat. This is a great lesson on the value of having a real GM, one who thinks long-term so that he can stand up to a coach who is only thinking of saving his own skin.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
My thoughts:

1a. Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia- There's no question that Knowshon is a talented player. He is elusive, creative and instinctive. He's also a credible threat out of the backfield and a very good blocker. He jukes a little too much and did not really explode his final year as much as I thought he would. Nonetheless, Mayock likes him the best of the RBs. This is a theme of the Broncos draft: in the abstract, the player selected is a quality player, but it does not appear that the Broncos have their priorities set properly. While we did have a ton of RBs hit the IR last year, RB at this spot was absolutely nothing more than a mere luxury....a luxury that we could not afford. The point was raised that perhaps the team did not like who was there among the defensive players. So what? The team appeared to be more than willing to give up valuable assets to move around in the draft, so it would necessarily follow that they should have done that to secure the defensive prospects they did like, or that they needed (i.e. 3-4 NT such as Raji or Brace). I am lukewarm about this selection because of the surrounding needs issues that were neglected, although the idea of Moreno and Hillis in the same backfield is certainly intriguing (and exciting). I am definitely excited to see that.

1b. Robert Ayers DE Tennessee- Ayers absolutely lit it up in the Senior Bowl practices. And those practices are very instructive because one can weigh a prospect against the very best at opposing positions. One need not resort to finding game tape of the player against a quality opponent, you can see it right there. It has been noted that Ayers is a versatile prospect, but it seems that given his weight, he would be best used as a 3-4 SOLB. Someone suggested that hopefully he could be our Adalius Thomas. The best argument in favor of this prospect is that he's Mayock's favorite and that is high praise indeed. But even Mayock suggested that it may take three years for him to really develop. Does this staff have that much time? Thankfully, if we revert back to a 4-3 in the next regime, I think Ayers could fit well as a DE there.

2a. Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest- It was an error of biblical proportions for Denver to sacrifice its own 2010 first round selection to move up to secure the services of this cornerback. Denver is likely to be selecting in the Top 10 and maybe even Top 5 in the next draft, which will be a deeper draft. To throw that away because you have a hard on for a small cornerback is irrational. Now, Smith is a gifted player and despite his size, he can definitely play. However, it appears that he would be best in the slot or against smaller recievers as he would struggle against king-sized possession recievers. There is a credible argument that Denver did need to get younger at this position given that Bailey is getting older and the FA additions were not spring chickens themselves, but this does not justify addressing the position this high (and elevating it over the DL) and it absolutely does not justify burning the 2010 pick. I don't know whether we are a hardheaded franchise or what, but the lesson has been demonstrated to us over and over again the last few years that it is best to build the defense from the front going backwards not vice versa. That's especially true in a 3-4 when the NT is at the fulcrum of the defense. We have not learned that lesson.

2b. Darcel McBath S Texas Tech- It is certainly reasonable for Denver to address their safety need. They did acquire short term answers to the position in FA, but obviously there was a need for an infusion of young talent as well. The problem is that by this point in the draft, Denver STILL had not really addressed the Defensive Line. What we needed to do, if we were going to trade up, was trade up from 48 to the late 30s to take Ron Brace ahead of NE, using this pick along with a 3rd, rather than burning both thirds on some blocking TE and also burning the first next year. The DL absolutely needed to be addressed, esp. NT before S. And it wasn't. And it still hasn't. With regard to McBath, he does bring more of presence in the pass defense than we are used to, which is refreshing, but Rashad Johnson of Alabama would have been a better choice. Johnson is very instinctive and a ballhawk who succeeded in a tougher conference. McBath is a solid prospect, but this was a bit of a reach and he made a large share of his big plays (and picks) in a single game last season. His range is solid, however and between McBath and Barrett, perhaps we will have a credible young duo of safeties for the future (when Dawkins and Hill are ready to go in about 2 years).

2c. Richard Quinn TE UNC- This is just flat out criminal negligence. There appears to be no rhyme or reason, here. Daniel Graham is a top-flight blocking TE. He is still fairly young and is devastatingly effective (and still has a few years left on his deal). Why would we get another blocking TE? Especially when, again, we STILL hadn't addressed the 3-4 NT or DE position. An argument could be made that if they planned to ship Scheffler out, a pass catching TE would be needed (if that were even used in this offense), but even that rationale wouldn't work here. It might work with someone like the underrated and forgotten but highly talented Cornelius Ingram, but not this stiff. This was a joke. And burning the two thirds (even though they got a 4th back) was probably the worst part of it.

Best Thing Denver Did: They avoided Rey Maualauga.
Worst Thing Denver Did: (Tie) An amazing disregard for draft pick assets and a failure to address the 3-4 DL positions in any way.

Overall Grade: D
I totally disagree. I think it was a wonderful first day. It shows we are moving to a power running game with the picks of Moreno and Quinn. I love the Ayers, Smith and McBath picks. Sure, I don't like losing next years #1, but I think Smith could be an asset this season. Six more picks tomorrow and undrafted FA's. I think we will look back in a few years and really be happy with this draft.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Wow, SoCal. Shocking. I would have expected you to give the new staff a stellar draft grade.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman444 View Post
I think we took Moreno at the 12 because there was no defensive player there that wowed us.

Then they should have ****ing traded up for Raji since they are apparently willing to piss away picks like they aren't worth anything. He was taken just a few spots ahead of us. We could have given Jax a 3rd....hell both 3rds and secured our Vince Wilfork.

That would have been a hell of alot better than pissing away both thirds anyway and also a top 10 pick next year.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hPxGmTGarM

Any of those would have done. I cannot WAIT till September buddy. I love being a Broncos fan.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Best RB
Best DE (perhaps best defensive player)
Best Intercepting CB
Best Intercepting safety
Best blocking TE (you do know that we are going to run a lot of 3 TE sets)
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

I cried.

With so many things of such greater importance in this world, it may seem terribly selfish and small to be so concerned and troubled by this, but I did. I cried.

I wasn't all that thrilled with the McDaniels hiring to start with, and now this.

I thought that maybe, just maybe this young man has keen instincts and some that Belichick football savvy.

It would seem he has neither.

This is awful beyond measure. A very sad day for Bronco fans, especially those away from home.
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

SoCal you are a great Broncos fan and you are not happy with the way things have gone but the Broncos are lucky to have a fan as passionate as you. Maybe this season will prove you wrong. But I like ya!
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Keep slobbering on McDaniels knob, if you think today will solve our defensive issues you are insane. I can't for the life of me see what anyone see's with this guy. He is an idiot of the highest order and will run this team into the ground. Today was just the second example of his lunacy.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #21
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

++++rep
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Im gonna laugh my ass off when we go 13-3 next year and deep into the playoffs.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

im curious how this all turns out when it actually matters: on the field

you all seem to think championships are won in april, ive never seen one that is. championships are built when teams take good players and make them play well together in a good scheme. the TE pick is a bit disconcerning but i will worry about it after i see how they perform and fit in with the team.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

to everyone thinking we will be picking in the top 10 next year, i think you are all wrong, because we will be picking in the high teens possibly early 20s next year.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

SoCal glad to have you back. I give the draft a C so far. Knowshon was a great pick and Ayers is considered the best D player this draft by Mayock. But they quickly ruined a draft by over spending in the second. You don't give up a first in a draft considered good to great for a second in a draft considered mediocre to poor. All the players picked are solid players who will contribute immediately.

That said I expect Scheffler to be gone tomorrow and Peppers to be a Bronco. Yeah I said it, now lets see if it happens!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote