The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Hillis and Moreno

With a little glass is half full perspective ....

Looks like we will have good receiving threats this year out of the backfield. I think we will be a difficult team to game plan for (with full acknowledgment to our QB situation being hazy).

We will be able to come out and pass with running personnel in.

just 2 cents ..
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Orton will play within McD's QB friendly scheme and this offense will be the best it's been since our hay-day...

a spread offense that has Orton in the shotgun where he's comfortable behind the best pass blocking line in football...BMarsh, Royal, Stokley, and Gaffney...and Moreno and or Hillis in the backfield...

AFC West = yea good luck with that...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer

What about Arrington, Buckhalter, Selving Young, and the other 12 running backs we already have?
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
Orton will play within McD's QB friendly scheme and this offense will be the best it's been since our hay-day...

a spread offense that has Orton in the shotgun where he's comfortable behind the best pass blocking line in football...BMarsh, Royal, Stokley, and Gaffney...and Moreno and or Hillis in the backfield...

Sounds just like last year to me.

And what also sounds like last year is ton of points we give up because our D isnt significantly different. Apparently McPh|_|ckstick watched the film and noticed that our secondary was the achillies heel, not the front 7.

Pretty consistent considering with what we already knew about him before today. This is the same guy that would have done Quitler for Cassell straight up.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtech96 View Post

And what also sounds like last year is ton of points we give up because our D isnt significantly different. Apparently McPh|_|ckstick watched the film and noticed that our secondary was the achillies heel, not the front 7.

Pretty consistent considering with what we already knew about him before today. This is the same guy that would have done Quitler for Cassell straight up.
We are 2 postions away from being solid...NT and OLB

Most likely we will not find them in the draft. We do need to draft prospects though and sign whoever is left in FA, who can play those postions.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Wonder how effective Orton and McD's offense will be should the Broncos suffer another rash of season ending injuries to all the RB's in 2009

After all, Cutler and Shanahan endured such a season.........
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

It's gonna be Chris Simms, guys ... I'm tellin' ya.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
We are 2 postions away from being solid...NT and OLB

Most likely we will not find them in the draft. We do need to draft prospects though and sign whoever is left in FA, who can play those postions.
You mean after today where now have 1 starting DE on the roster (maybe). The game is won and lost at the LOS. ESPECIALLY in the 3-4, if your DL is not keeping the OL off the LBs, the scheme doesnt work that well.

How many quality NT are there in FA?
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
extralife
Ring of Famer

I wonder what kind of formations we're going to be using? We now have a top pick back that can catch the ball, a fullback/halfback hybrid that can catch, two blocking TE's and a pass catching TE that likes to go vertical. I know the "Patriot Way" (as it is being sold these days, at least) likes to go 3 wide base, but I can't see that as best serving the talent on our roster. We have the ability to line up 3 TE power formations that can function as passing formations, for instance. We can put a TE in the slot. We can use Hillis as an H-back. I would like to see a lot of 2 wide base formations, with either two backs (Moreno, Hillis) or two TE's (which two would be dependant on the type of plays being run).

Basically, we have the personnel to get extremely creative on offense, as well as disguise our intentions. I wonder if McD plans to take advantage of this unique talent base, or if he will indeed run a carbon copy of what he did in NE? I really hope the former.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I actually like our O and I feel like mcd's system is built for checkdowns and bail out passes. so having a great slot, a good catching RB and a good FB/h-back along with TE's who can catch is huge. we are thin on the d-line but after KC donkey punched us and then we didnt move up to 8 to take Raji I was fine with Moreno Ayers is a pretty good questionmark forme I would have taken Orakpo. didnt like the trades in round 2 but hey now we know what Jay Cutler was worth.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Wonder how effective Orton and McD's offense will be should the Broncos suffer another rash of season ending injuries to all the RB's in 2009

After all, Cutler and Shanahan endured such a season.........
i'd imagine we'd be fine...

who knows...you don't plan for injuries, they just happen...

but at this point, our offense looks like it can be really good right now...
Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

This is fantastic. I would have been fine with what we had, but now we'll have a game-breaker at RB, plus some guys who can bash you in the mouth, and still run pretty well.

Add another great blocking TE to one of the best lines in the league, and we continue the NE philosophy of setting the QB up to succeed.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:

our D can't be any worse than last year...

this year we have Champ back healthy, Ayers and Doom rushing from the edges, Dawkins, and DJ along with other solid players...

oh and a DC that actually has a clue...

all we need is a nose...not sure what we're gonna do about that...
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExShanahan View Post
What about Arrington, Buckhalter, Selving Young, and the other 12 running backs we already have?
arrington will be a return man depth guy. Jordan a short yardage guy or possible cut, Buckhalter is getting ready for his spot on IR. Torain and Young should start searching the want ads
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExShanahan View Post
...and just how many did we have on IR last year.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

We will have a great offense again, I think that it will be better this year with Moreno actually.

Was anyone else kind of worried (maybe still a little) that Hillis was going to be dealt after they picked up Moreno? My God I was ready to melt down.

This season will be a lot like last season, hopefully without the injuries. I really do believe Orton can get it done, especially with a solid #1 back like this. Moreno and Hillis can be outright deadly. The rest can battle for positioning and playing time for all I care and I personally don't care if I ever see Selvin Young hit the field again, I think personally he is vastly overrated here.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #17
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
our D can't be any worse than last year..
funny, I said that to myself at the end of 2007
Old 04-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #18
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbmasterflash View Post
the difference is...you were wrong...

i am right...
Old 04-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #19
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
the difference is...you were wrong...

i am right...
believe me...I want to be wrong here also
Old 04-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbmasterflash View Post
Statistically they really can't get much, if any, worse.

Quote:

Our D isn't significantly different despite more than half the starters being replaced and the entire scheme being overhauled?

And the secondary wasn't an achillies heel? We got torched week after week because our safeties couldn't do a damn thing right, and as soon as Champ went down it just spun further down the drain.

Now we have three veteran DBs who all are above average contributors paired with Champ, and a young nickel CB who has huge potential.

You could make an argument that once Champ went down the defensive backfield was our biggest weakness defensively. At least at that point Woodyard was making a few stops and Larsen got to join in for a couple weeks.

At this point we have no idea what this defense will be. It won't even be recognizable in comparison to last year's D though, that's for sure.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

It was interesting to see Mayock compare Gale Sayers and Knowshon's running styles and then seeing the film. I'm going to admit i am excited as hell about that. Hillis and Moreno in the backfield? Thats a headache, because both should be accounted for in the passing game, which should open things in the middle for crossing routes for receivers and curls for the plethora of tightends we have.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #22
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:

is orton dating your sister or something ..... where's all the love come from dude is a bearded ass clown.

SIMMS you spleenless wonder make it happen......... well, make it happen after any running team (oakland, SD, KC) finishes jamming the ball down our tiny DL's throat.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #23
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
This is fantastic. I would have been fine with what we had, but now we'll have a game-breaker at RB, plus some guys who can bash you in the mouth, and still run pretty well.

Add another great blocking TE to one of the best lines in the league, and we continue the NE philosophy of setting the QB up to succeed.
can i just remind you and everyone else that prior to this offseason offense wasn't a huge area of NEED........ we constantly played a long field every drive with barely a hint of a consistant back. The DEFENSE was the problem the line being the most glaring ..... how has anything changed?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #24
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi_kal View Post
is orton dating your sister or something ..... where's all the love come from dude is a bearded ass clown.
did Orton SLAP your sister or something?...does he owe her child support maybe?...

you're just as down on the guy as i am high on him...
Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #25
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
did Orton SLAP your sister or something?...does he owe her child support maybe?...

you're just as down on the guy as i am high on him...
I know your high ...... on him, but why?
I don't think he's terrible ..... I just don't think he's anything special. So why so geeked out on him?