The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Grade Day One
A 8 4.49%
B 34 19.10%
C 43 24.16%
D 33 18.54%
F 30 16.85%
Ask Me In 5 Years 30 16.85%
Polls Suck 0 0%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██
Default Grade Day One

Summary:

Pick Player Pos Ht Wt College
Round 1, Pick 12 (12) Knowshon Moreno RB 5'11" 217 Georgia
Pick Analysis:The Broncos eschew their defensive woes to pick the electrifying runner from Georgia. Moreno is a versatile back with outstanding quickness and elusiveness, and he gives the Broncos another weapon in the passing game with his exceptional hands and underrated route-running. With Josh McDaniels' preference for spread formations, Moreno could emerge as a playmaker in his first season.

Round 1, Pick 18 (18) (From Bears) Robert Ayers LB 6'3" 272 Tennessee
Pick Analysis:The former Vol is an athletic edge player with outstanding versatility. As a potential defensive end/outside linebacker, he's capable of stacking the run while also providing some pass-rushing skill off the edge. Though he has been pegged as a "one-year wonder," Ayers was playing the best football of his career at the end of his senior season, and he may continue his ascent as a rookie.

Round 2, Pick 5 (37) (From Seahawks) Alphonso Smith CB 5'9" 193 Wake Forest
Pick Analysis:The ultra-productive ballhawk gives the Broncos another cover corner with big-play ability. Though Smith lacks ideal size and speed, he has an outstanding feel for the game and is an ideal nickel corner in the Broncos' defense.

Round 2, Pick 16 (48) Darcel McBath CB 6'0" 198 Texas Tech
Pick Analysis:The former corner-turned-safety has outstanding range and instincts. Though he isn't polished in coverage, he gives the Broncos a safety capable of playing as their deep middle player. Along with their other additions on the day, the Broncos have added some youth and athleticism.

Round 2, Pick 32 (64) (From Steelers) Richard Quinn TE 6'4" 264 North Carolina
Pick Analysis:The Broncos bypass some intriguing tight end prospects to pick up Quinn. While he's regarded as one of the best in-line blockers at the position, Quinn tallied only 12 receptions in his career. With Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler on the roster, Quinn will spend his initial season serving as an extra tight end in the Broncos' jumbo sets.

Trade Details:
Steelers receive:
2009 third-round pick (No. 79)
2009 third-round pick (No. 84 -- originally from Chicago)

Broncos receive:
2009 second-round pick (No. 64): TE Richard Quinn
2009 fourth-round pick (No. 132)
---------
Broncos receive
2009 2nd-round pick (No. 37)

Seahawks receive
2010 1st-round pick

Last edited by frerottenextelway; 04-25-2009 at 07:20 PM..
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I give it an A for the 1st round and a C for the second round.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
randomtask
Thomas is my hero.

Like a complete unknown

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Walton

B+ for 1st round.
D- for 2nd round.

Someone needs to tell McDaniels that making unnecessary trades is not impressing anyone...
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

1st round= A-

I love the selection of Knowshon--I honestly believe that he will be a superstar in this league for years to come--hands, elusiveness, vision--he is going to be dynamic in the spread offense

Ayers--Is he going to be an OLB or a DE? He is to small to play DE in a typical 3-4 and may not have the skills to drop into coverage---this is why I gave the 1st round an A-.

2nd round--absolute COLLOSSAL FAILURE.

trading OUR OWN #1 next year for a 2nd this year--and then we take a CB??!?!?!?!?!?! **** THAT. We gave Seattle a top 10 choice next year for a nickelback..nice move MCDOUCHE.

Darcel WHO a 198 lb safety? I am about to gag...........William Moore was still on the board MCDOUCHE.

We trade BOTH OF OUR THIRD ROUND PICKS to draft a BLOCKING TE?? This reeks of a team who is so focused on a finite # of players and who are SCARED TO DEATH that another team may take one of them before they get to draft that they are willing to do anything to get those players.........a BLOCKING TE? This 2nd round is ABYSMAL!!!!!!

GRADE for the 2nd round--A BIG MOTHER****ING 'F'
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
briane
Seasoned Veteran

http://www.privatepostmark.com

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I give it a B- for the First round and a D- for round two. What the heck was mcD thinking in round two...
briane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The pick analysis for each of the top 4 players contains the word 'outstanding' at some point, while the last one contains the phrase 'one of the best'.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it sounds like these guys can be building blocks to turning around the mediocrity of the last 10 seasons.
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Tombstone is right, 'A' to 'A-minus' for the first round.

'D-minus' for 2nd and 3rd

But trading a 1st rounder in a deep draft for a 2nd rounder in a weak draft is just plain fooooolish. Especially when we'll probably be slotted between 8 and 10 ... sorry, but there's too many changes to expect any kind of success in '09.

I suppose I like Alphonso Smith okay, but we needed O-line today ... and with SIX Day 1 picks, we drafted an impressive ZERO d-linemen. Unless Ayers bulks up.

Sad.

Somewhere Jim Goodman is laughing his ass off.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

The 2nd round was an epic failure, there is no excuse for that ****.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I don' understand trading the 1st pick for this years 2nd, but if they think this CB is a player, then I guess you nab him if you've got the ammo... perhaps he'll be another Darrent Williams.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Here's the thing - this draft seems to me to be a classic case of "BPA". McD drafted the guys he thought was the best player available, and he got the guys he wanted, as opposed to drafting for need.

As fans, we really look at our needs first. We don't have the luxury of first hand scouting info, so we really don't have any idea why particular players are rated higher than others. So, what looks like an unnecessary reach to us; to the coaches these are obvious good moves.

I'm not at all pleased with this draft, but I hope we can trust the scouting department's evaluations. That's a lot to hang on hope though.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Fact is, Broncos need a safety so I have no problem with that pick, that is the only reason I give the 2nd round a C.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer

I give it a B+

I love Moreno, Ayers and Smith. McBath is another pick I like, I think he could become our starting FS for years to come. The Richard Quinn pick is a little odd to me, unless they trade Scheffler, then it makes sense.

The only thing that keeps this from being an A++ is what we gave up in the trades. I can live with the Alphonso Smith trade but I think we gave up a bit to much for Quinn.

Last edited by Lycan; 04-25-2009 at 07:45 PM..
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I thought the first round was brilliant. Moreno will be a stud I have watched every game he has ever played. I was enrolled at UGA before opting for CU so I always kept an eye on them.

Ayers is the best defensive player this year according to Mayock. You can't go wrong with that as Mayock is dead on.

However, after that it went downhill fast. While the CB Smith is a damn fine CB dude a first round pick in a draft that is supposedly full of DL talent next year is just crap. Then trading both 3rds for a TE? Come on dude wtf are you doing.

One thing the move for Quinn tells me is that Scheffler's days in Denver are done. Ugh the first round was great but the second was a bummer!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
socalorado
Ring of Famer

I voted A. But i have been drinking so................
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Unless everyone around has been watching 1000s of hours of college football tape and know exactly what they're looking for, the jury is out until these guys actually suit up and do something. Grading based on sexiness and perceived potential is Mel Kiper-type ****.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
Never Trust a Snake
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I don' understand trading the 1st pick for this years 2nd, but if they think this CB is a player, then I guess you nab him if you've got the ammo... perhaps he'll be another Darrent Williams.
Bobby Beathard made a mockery out of trading next year's first to move up in the second in San Diego. He did it for stiffs like Jermaine Fazande and Bryan Still. These reaches are one of the reasons why Beathard was pressured to step down despite building the Chargers' only Super Bowl squad.
Never Trust a Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I like the players that we got. Knowshon was one of my favorite players in the draft and I am ecstatic we got him. I was hoping for Rey at 18 but I have no problem with the Ayers selection, and Mayock helped ease any worries. I like Alphonso Smith a lot, and I also really like McBath. Never heard of Quinn

The issues I have is with what we gave up and when we took some of the players. I think McBath and Quinn could have both been had in the 3rd round if thats what we wanted to do. Smith was good value for where he was picked, but not good value when you add in that we had to trade a 1st next year for him. There are a lot of players I like in next years draft, I think it was a lousy trade. There is a chance we won't be very good this year, and that pick could be very high.

Not having any third round picks and not having drafted any d-lineman unless you consider Ayers one doesn't make much sense to me.
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i like Moreno Ayers and Smith. feel we could have gotten McBath and Quinn in the 3rd.

i think it was a decent draft considering players, but when you see that we took McBath with Moore still on the board, and what we gave up to get Smith, and giving 2-3rds away for a guy who would have been available tomorrow and plays a position that is already somewhat of an area of strength for this team seems odd.

so, since i do like 3 of the 5 players a lot i am going to give it a C.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Stills.

Go Hokies

I think we can't sfford to pay 2 first rounders next year and it was a good move if that's the case considering it will be a high pick.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #20
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
His capsule looks almost identical to D-Will:
Not ideal height, but a supremely confident cornerback comfortable in man coverage ... challenges recievers ... could have trouble against big wideouts ... not afraid to support the run ... could be an impact return man ... bit of a gambler, and will take unnecessary risks sometimes ... teriffic competitor ... flips his hips well on the run ... needs to get stronger.
Sounds a whole lot like D-Will ... he doesn't have quite the speed, but I'm pretty psyched about him. We gave up WAAAY too much though ... that pick will end up #8 to #12, you watch ... we will be C-R-Y-I-N-G one year from today, mark my words.

McBath is a stud... I could see he and Barrett teaming up at safety for a long time.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #21
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
I thought the first round was brilliant. Moreno will be a stud I have watched every game he has ever played. I was enrolled at UGA before opting for CU so I always kept an eye on them.

Ayers is the best defensive player this year according to Mayock. You can't go wrong with that as Mayock is dead on.

However, after that it went downhill fast. While the CB Smith is a damn fine CB dude a first round pick in a draft that is supposedly full of DL talent next year is just crap. Then trading both 3rds for a TE? Come on dude wtf are you doing.

One thing the move for Quinn tells me is that Scheffler's days in Denver are done. Ugh the first round was great but the second was a bummer!
Yeah, the 1st was good. Although moreno was a luxury pick, he will be good in DEN. Also, anyone who really thought Hillis was gonna be some full time RB was on crack just like i said all along. Just glad DEN didnt take MrGlass. Ugh.
And i wanted Cushing at 12 and English at 18
They went 15 and 16 i believe or right around there.
So my prospect value was right on, or at least close.
I think Ayers will be a beast in Nolans "Joker" scheme.
As for the rest of the draft, its a mess.
FoxyII was a huge mistake, and McBath while he has alot of range and will play alot next year, he could of been had later. Oh well.
I see Sheffler being shipped as we all type.
Hopefully MCD will recoup a 3rd for tommmorow with a Sheffler trade.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Trust a Snake View Post
Bobby Beathard made a mockery out of trading next year's first to move up in the second in San Diego. He did it for stiffs like Jermaine Fazande and Bryan Still. These reaches are one of the reasons why Beathard was pressured to step down despite building the Chargers' only Super Bowl squad.
I understand your point but the Broncos did have a pick to give, so it's a little different.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #23
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I gave it F.

I seriously think Pat and Mcd were drinking at the time of 2nd round..

How the hell did we give up a 1st round pick for CB..

On top of that, we gave 3rd round picks for Blocking TE..

Very Very sad day for me..

I just want to smash my laptop and TV..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #24
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Stills.

Go Hokies

I think we can't sfford to pay 2 first rounders next year and it was a good move if that's the case considering it will be a high pick.
Could be, but why trade a top 10 pick away today? Wait till next year, get a first the following year. Seemed crazy to trade a top ten pick for Smith.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #25
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

i like the knowshown pick. ayers may work out. everything else sucks cawk with respect to the value/price. the corner won't tackle like d-will so that analogy fails.

I'm glad it's pretty crystal clear what we got in return for Cutler so that we may commence comparing apples to apples. Objectively, we didn't help ourselves where I think we needed help. If cost was an issue, why did we trade third rounders? To me that seems like the perfect round to balance price and performance. Oh, I guess Daniel Graham is getting old and a player who has 4 touchdowns in 12 receptions fits the Vrabel receiving mold, so that's really important.

all that said....again, wtf happened to our team? why did we hire an offensive coach?

in b4 "go be a bears fan"
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote