The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Cutler = Ayers, Alphonso Smith, and half of a blocking TE

Seriously. A franchise QB, crybaby or not, has become a prototypical 4-3 DE in the wrong scheme, a 5'8" corner, and half of a tight end who caught 12 passes in his college career.

And the top 5 pick this draft guarantees we will have next year? Bye bye.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

I'd love to hear your take when the Broncos took Eddie Royal last year. I'm sure it was a doozy.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Yup ... horrifying. And forgot we lost our own 3rd rounder tomorrow in the Cutler deal too.

Why couldn't we give them the Bears pick? The Bears pick will be 20-22, ours will be 8-12

A tight end ... on a team with already one of the best 1-2 blocking/recieving TE combos ... unreal. This kid caught TWELVE balls in his college career. TWELVE.

And the worst part .... ZERO D-linemen on Day 1. Unless Ayers bulks up considerably ... all the draft boards had him as a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. NOT what we need.

Jim Goodmand is laughing his arse off right now .....

This is what you get when you put infants in charge
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...

Actually, we traded our 1st round pick next year for Alphonso Smith...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

cutler is not a bronco because he chose to get his way out of town. he insulted the coach and more importantly the owner of the team with his childish antics and now hes a bear getting ****faced in chicago. i suspect we wont see much more of the jay cutler saga as his stats will die and his wins wont go up much.

the more i read about quinn, hes hte best run blocking TE in the draft and visited a ton of teams recently, and was likely going to get drafted soon after our pick. mcdaniels must have really wanted him to trade up. with mcdaniels, ive noticed he is very carefully picking the players he wants and doing what it takes to get them, and they all have one theme: tough, hard nosed football players. the defensive players can tackle good, and the offensive players taken are good blockers. hes got his system and hes getting it in place. i imagine we get a 2nd and 5th for scheffler tomorrow.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
I'd love to hear your take when the Broncos took Eddie Royal last year. I'm sure it was a doozy.
He was actually pretty right on.

Quote:
Javon, outside of the first 2 games, didn't contribute last year. There isn't anything I can say about him that hasn't already been said. Martinez was left as our outside receiver after the Walker injury in our 3 WR sets. Stokely belongs in the slot. The staff seems to like Colbert, given the 3 year deal he signed. He hasn't lived up to his rookie season, but hopefully he can here in Denver. He is a good blocker at the WR position, which is always something Shanahan covets. Jackson put up some good numbers in Seattle, but who knows if his drops will continue here. Either way, he is a legit starter in the league who I would feel very comfortable having as our number 2. Eddie Royal is a legit deep threat, and I could see him as a potential second receiver. Granted, he would have to light it up in camp, but this is a possibility. All in all, this pool of players is an improvement.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

With this draft and the players we've picked up via FA...seems like we'll be playing some smashmouth football..i like it. The TE selection is a bit puzzleing though...unless they plan on trading Sheffler for a pick/picks next year or for a player.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

how on earth does this happen this draft and mcdumbass's moves have set this franchise back 10 years.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
Seriously. A franchise QB, crybaby or not, has become a prototypical 4-3 DE in the wrong scheme, a 5'8" corner, and half of a tight end who caught 12 passes in his college career.

And the top 5 pick this draft guarantees we will have next year? Bye bye.
My understanding was that we traded our first pick next year, not the one we got from the Bears. Am I wrong about that?
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

The Quinn pick was just pathetic.

What is the value of a blocking TE in the 2nd?

This draft was freaking mess
Br0nc0Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The idiots continue to crap in their pants before any of the players drafted have even played a down. Cutler, playing behind an average at best OL could take a hit and get hurt and miss a ton of games next season for all we know, and then what would his fans say?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He was actually pretty right on.
Do you keep an open spreadsheet with players along the top, and posters along the side to keep track of every poster's take on every player?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
AtlantaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

As a UGA season ticket holder I can tell you Knowshon Moreno is special and will be a fan favorite. However, the Broncos didn't really need another RB. Giving up a first round pick next year to draft a small CB is insane. Signing another TE when you have one of the best blocking TE's on the roster doesn't make since either.

Hate to say it but this organization is rudderless. Sign a ton of free agents and then draft the same positions? Bowlen made a hugh mistake handing the keys over to "the coach" and Xanders.

And for the record, I liked the Eddie Royal pick last year. I saw him play against UGA in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl.
AtlantaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickademus View Post
how on earth does this happen this draft and mcdumbass's moves have set this franchise back 10 years.
Well, I am disgusted at this draft, but I happenb to be VERY high on Chris Simms, I think he'll win the job and play very well. So I'll say this set us back just 2-3 years.

We needed D-linemen more than any other position ... and even though we traded up into Day 1 TWICE, we managed to draft an impressive ZERO D-linemen (unless Ayers bulks up). That is inexcusable.

But fine ... we'll start Marcus Thomas, Ron Fields and Kenny Peterson, with Nic Clemons and Carlton Powell backing them up .... and we'll get run on like 2007. And we'll lose 10 games. And the Seahawks will draft #8. And we'll draft #20.

Niiiice.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
DrFate
Lord of Order

Nightmare
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

And I thought people on here respected Mayock's opinion.

Ayers was 3 on his big board overall and Moreno was 4.

Now Mike has already stated that 2009 is one of the waekest drafts in a while but the man flat out stated that in his opinion Ayers is and will be the best defender in this draft.

Like many I hate the fact we traded away our 2010 pick for a CB but based on the first 2 picks I actually still like this draft so far and if it's good enough for Mayock it's certainly good enough for me.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I like simms as a backup other than that not so much. I just wonder was this Zanders or Mcdip****? and who is bolwen going to hold responsible when he sees that our Franchise QB was traded for a mixed bag of backups?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #18
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Horrible draft..

Why do we need to take a blocking TE in 2nd round??

On top of that, we gave our 3rd round picks..

The only positive is that we didn't draft Sanchez or Freeman..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post

C'mon Eddie ... nobody's arguing with Round 1, not that I've seen.

I like Round 1 very much, Knowshon will be amazing, and Ayers will be great (if he can bulk up and play 3-4 DE).

But after Round 1, the wheels came off. The Quinn pick is a grotesque joke.

The results are all in ... 99% of precincts counted. Chicago won the trade.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickademus View Post
I like simms as a backup other than that not so much. I just wonder was this Zanders or Mcdip****? and who is bolwen going to hold responsible when he sees that our Franchise QB was traded for a mixed bag of backups?
Bowlen was in the War-room in a hands on role. If he's blaming anyone it's himself.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i am ok with most of this draft. i like Ayers because he is versatile and is going to be used everywhere. Moreno is the most complete back in the draft, and if he can put on 5-10lbs of muscle it will be even better to make sure he can endure the year long pounding, i like Smith but am not really pleased with tossing a 1st next year for him, McBath is decent but i thought he would have been available in the 3rd, and Quinn, just wasn't necessarily needed. Graham is making big money to do the same job, and the cost was too high to move up and get him when he would have been there when we picked in the 3rd anyway.

all in all, on first look of this draft, i will give it a C+

i am not going to call it a bust yet, and too soon to call it great, and with the question marks and possible reaches i feel a C+ is a fair grade.

plus this is just a preliminary, and i will form new opinions when the regular season rolls around.

i learned my lesson last season not to complain about picks, with the Royal situation, so i will judge when i see actual playing
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #22
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post

Now Mike has already stated that 2009 is one of the waekest drafts in a while but the man flat out stated that in his opinion Ayers is and will be the best defender in this draft.

Like many I hate the fact we traded away our 2010 pick for a CB but based on the first 2 picks I actually still like this draft so far and if it's good enough for Mayock it's certainly good enough for me.
I actually dont mind the first two picks. Its the fact that we traded our Fanchise QB for a guy who needs to bulk up to play DE in the 3-4 a 5'9" cb who is not that fast but can catch, and a blocking TE who will back up the best blocking TE in football. dont know about you but it sure seems like a waste to me. If we were going to move up we should have taken William Moore and Ron Brace.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #23
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post

Ahhh... the sky is falling, run away...

Just maybe McDaniels can spot talent a little better than many of us on this message board and he sees something in these players similar to Brady and Cassel...maybe.

I think I will give him (McDaniels) and these players an opportunity to develop their skills and abilities before being too critical. McDaniels deserves some room for growing pains. I sure gave the Cutter plenty of room for improvement.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #24
Don Flamenco
Perennial Pro-bowler

I feel like I've been butt****ed by McDaniels
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #25
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post

Yeah... Quinn was rated at the BOTTOM of the 3rd round. We were what? about 8 picks away with our earliest 3rd rounder from what we traded two 3rd rounders for to get him. He woulda been there + we could have gotten more depth and perhaps a jewel... 3rd rounders are still talent filled.

This draft has made me ill too my stomach over the trades. Culter was not worth the two and a half people we got out of him.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote