The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default McBath info...

Interview...

http://www.truveo.com/NFL-draft-pros.../id/1929425650

Strengths:
Adequate height and bulk...Very athletic...Great leaper...Smooth with fluid hips...Excellent range...Decent hands and ball skills...Is able to match up in coverage...Reliable tackler...Nice instincts...Smart...Hard worker...A team leader and captain...Productive...Tons of experience.

Weaknesses:
Has short arms...Not real strong...Needs to be more physical...Can be too aggressive at times...Isn't a big hitter...Sub par run defender...Has trouble getting off blocks...Not really a playmaker...Bit of a ' tweener ?

Notes:
A three-year starter for the Red Raiders...Began his college career as a cornerback...Redshirted in 2004...Broke his arm in the preseason and missed six games in 2005...Moved to safety in 2006 and started there the next three seasons...Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2006 and 1st Team in 2008...Solid all-around player with a nice blend of physical tools and intangibles..Profiles as a starting free safety at the next level

More video...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/mult...ath-texas-tech
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

He had one absolutely terrific game last year with a bunch of picks, but outside of that he was fairly ordinary. Rashad Johnson would have been a better pick at the S position.

I can't fathom how we made 4 picks and not a single one of them was for a 3-4 defensive lineman.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Looks like an instant nickel-back and a future starter at safety?

I like it. 2nd round is where you should take your safeties. 4 picks, 3 of them addressing big needs so far, and the other the best RB in the draft.

Not wild about trading away the 1st next year, but we won't know how good or bad of a move that was for quite some time, so I'm not going to lose my mind over it yet.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He and Smith are solid 2nd round picks. Both consistently rated in the top 5 at their respective positions in this draft. The Raiders took a safety right before the Bronco pick that wasn't as rated as highly, so might have gotten a break.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

No. 48 overall, Broncos) McBath has the great toughness and coverage skills to be a solid all-around safety and help Denver revamp its secondary.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS:

Coverage skills: Has the top-level footwork, athleticism and speed to cover any tight end well in man coverage. Reads the quarterback fast in deep coverage and consistently reacts quickly. Plants, drives and closes fast on passes in front of him and gets there in time to either make a play on the ball or to hit the receiver right after ball arrives to break up the pass. Flashes the ability to cut in front of the receiver to make the very tough interception. Grade: 7.5

Run/pass recognition: Is instinctive; consistently reads and reacts quickly and correctly to the play. Does not get sucked up by play-action or jump on pump fakes. Is able to consistently break and close quickly on passes. Does not aggressively fly up the field in run support, tends to take a more cautious approach. Grade: 7.5

Closing speed: Has an elite explosive burst to the receiver to make plays on the ball and break up passes or deliver the hard blow. Has the speed to stay with any tight end and many receivers on deep routes. Grade: 8.0

Ball skills: Breaks up passes consistently well. Aggressively goes for the breakup without committing a penalty. Has excellent hands for the interception. Shows the ability to make the tough interception on off-target passes. Grade: 7.5

Run support: Does not dominate against the run at the level he is capable of. Often seems content to wait for the ballcarrier to get to him. Is a good open-field tackler. Has the strength to stand up ballcarriers and make the tackle right at the point of contact. Is overaggressive going for the tackle at times, will dive and end up missing tackles he should make. Grade: 6.5

Bottom line: McBath arguably is the best all-around athlete among the safety prospects, the total package NFL coaches covet. One concern is a thin-looking lower body, especially because of how physical the game has become in the last decade. McBath won't likely be drafted as highly as we have him rated, but a combination of solid athleticism, toughness and coverage skills projects him to be a productive NFL starter in any NFL defensive scheme.
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Seems like all the guys we're targeting have one major theme: Great Tacklers. I like it.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
He had one absolutely terrific game last year with a bunch of picks, but outside of that he was fairly ordinary. Rashad Johnson would have been a better pick at the S position.

I can't fathom how we made 4 picks and not a single one of them was for a 3-4 defensive lineman.
Maybe because those 3-4 DL that don't have rated as highly as the players they took. You would be happy the Broncos, at least in their mind, drafted for need instead of talent? No you wouldn't.

Only time will tell if their evaluations are correct. But I know, some like you want the team, especially "Mcdick" or whatever childish name you call him to fail, so don't bother giving those players a chance to show what they can do.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Sounds like he's strong against the pass, something we haven't had at S in a very long time.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Horrible pick.
He doesnt translate well into the Pros at all.
Also he wasnt projected as a 2nd rounder.
late 3rd, 4th round. Bad pick and a huge reach.
Also, still no DE or NT. BAd, Bad idea.
This has been tried before.
Have a solid secondary, and a dismal d-line, and it was a HUGE
mistake. The fact that no DE ot NT has been taken is distressing.
These players are a waste and if you need some evidence of this look at the last few years of defense on tape.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:

Ayers will be a 3-4 DE and hopefully Fili Moala will be the 3rd round pick, it'll be fine
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

McDaniels saw that we were 32nd in the NFL in takeaways and tried to find players who force turnovers. So he went and got a passrusher, a ball hawk CB, and a ball hawk safety.

I'm not thrilled that we traded our 1st round pick for a second rounder though... Why didn't we go after Ron Brace again?? Is McDaniels hoping he can get Vince Wilfork next year in free agency?
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
Ayers will be a 3-4 DE and hopefully Fili Moala will be the 3rd round pick, it'll be fine
Ayers is like 270, he cannot play 3-4 DE effectively vs. the run. He's a good 3-4 SOLB prospect, though.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #13
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
No. Ayers is the 'Joker" in nolans "30" as the roaming JACK.
This team STILL needs to somehow pull off drafting 2 solid 3-4 DEs and a NT.
Fortunately there are a quite a few 3-4 DEs in this draft.
Hopefully NT Dorell Scott falls into DEN laps tommorow.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
McDaniels saw that we were 32nd in the NFL in takeaways and tried to find players who force turnovers. So he went and got a passrusher, a ball hawk CB, and a ball hawk safety.

I'm not thrilled that we traded our 1st round pick for a second rounder though... Why didn't we go after Ron Brace again?? Is McDaniels hoping he can get Vince Wilfork next year in free agency?
Yep, there are some Bronco fans who have not been paying attention, but it's been awhile since the defense has forced turnovers with any kind of regularity. Getting guys who are known for that at least in college is a good move.

As for Brace, must be the Broncos just didn't have him that highly rated and think can find someone else later in the draft.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Ayers is like 270, he cannot play 3-4 DE effectively vs. the run. He's a good 3-4 SOLB prospect, though.
"I was thinking that Denver needed defensive ends," Ayers said. "I was excited when they picked me. I think I fit in their scheme."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Ayers is quick enough and strong enough to play a variety of positions in a 3-4 defense, including defensive end and outside linebacker. Ayers said the team talked to him about being moved around in Denver's defensive system.

"I'm versatile enough that I could do multiple things," Ayers said. "I feel I'm ready to play wherever they ask me to play."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12228144

He can add some weight and be effective.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #16
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:

Ayers is a DE
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #17
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
"I was thinking that Denver needed defensive ends," Ayers said. "I was excited when they picked me. I think I fit in their scheme."

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Ayers is quick enough and strong enough to play a variety of positions in a 3-4 defense, including defensive end and outside linebacker. Ayers said the team talked to him about being moved around in Denver's defensive system.

"I'm versatile enough that I could do multiple things," Ayers said. "I feel I'm ready to play wherever they ask me to play."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12228144

He can add some weight and be effective.
The pick just got better IMO. I didn't like the pick if they were just going to put him at DE in a 3-4, but moving him around I believe will make him more effective and help the pass rush.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Charley Cassery said on NFLN that he thinks Ayers is an instant contributor at the RDE spot.

Also, Ayers came into college at 230 pounds and has gone up to 270, with room to go on his frame. He played a lot of DT in college and has a rep for being very good against the run.

I think he'll play both, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sees most of his time spent at DE.

This draft was just really ****ty for D-linemen period. Everyone talks about how weak this draft class is. Well its better at the 3-4 OLB types than most recent years, very good at OT, great at C, good at RB, etc.. I could go on. It doesn't have the freakish 7 rounds of depth that we saw in '08, but that was a rare occurrence.

The reason why this is a weak draft is because at the spots where it is weak it is VERY weak. DL is anemic, QB had a handful of ok prospects, none of whom would've been top 15 guys in a good QB class, the ILBs all underperformed in post-season evaluations and had multiple weaknesses exposed, etc..

The FO is making the best of the picks that they have. I'm not a big fan of trading our future 1st four Alphonso Smith, but if you consider that Smith, Jenkins, Vontae Davis, and the rest of this CB class were considered the head and shoulders above the rest best CBs in the nation last year, that gives you a pretty bad omen as to what next year's CB class will look like. We needed a CB because Champ and Goodman aren't getting any younger. So while I think it sucks to give up value from next year I get why they made the move to secure a CB prospect now rather than bet on some breakthrough candidate falling in their laps in next year's draft, and then hoping whomever that is can hit the ground running when called on.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #19
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
The pick just got better IMO. I didn't like the pick if they were just going to put him at DE in a 3-4, but moving him around I believe will make him more effective and help the pass rush.
Yeah, too bad Ayers cant play 2 positions at one time!
This whole being able to play more than one position is great if your the Steelers or Baltimore.
Here in DEN were gonna be lucky to see this guy play just one spot adequately.
Just cause they say hes versatile, doesnt mean it gonna happen. And not having any talent around him, ENSURES IT WONT.
Hopefully he can just learn Nolans Joker, cause thats why he was drafted.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
dreasher54
getting good

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darcel McBath

I love this pick. Watched every Texas Tech game this past year. Not only did he do well he was the defensive leader every game. and like Alphonso who can be mentored by champ he can be mentored by Brian Dawkins
dreasher54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #21
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
This whole being able to play more than one position is great if your the Steelers or Baltimore.
Just cause they say hes versatile, doesnt mean it gonna happen. And not having any talent around him, ENSURES IT WONT.
So, he was a consensus 1st round pick by everyone in football, but you've got information that says he won't be an adequate pro?

Care to share?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Guys Ayers will be played at a couple of differant positions. he is karl mecklemburg all over again and i like the pickl. lets not pigeon hole him already
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #23
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I don't understand. What does that mean, it's great if you're the Steelers or Baltimore? Are no others teams allowed to have versatile players?

Quote:
Doesn't mean it won't happen either. Maybe it's time to let someone else take a shot at building a defense here. It's not like we've been the '85 Bears the last 10 years.

Last edited by chex; 04-25-2009 at 06:48 PM..
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Just admit it: you want him to fail since that helps McDaniels fail and that's really what you want. I've seen your previous posts and reality is you wouldn't like any pick made.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #25
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Sounds like he's strong against the pass, something we haven't had at S in a very long time.
Exactly. Whens the last time we've had a ballhawking safety?
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote