The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Moreno and Ayers - solid picks

Broncos take RB Moreno, DE Ayers

By Tom Kensler
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/25/2009 02:44:48 PM MDT
Updated: 04/25/2009 04:23:58 PM MDT

Some may not have believed Broncos coach Josh McDaniels when he hinted on Friday that his team had priority needs other than on defense with its two first-round draft picks.

McDaniels didn't waste any time, selecting Georgia tailback Knowshon Moreno at No. 12, but also attempted to fortify the defense by taking 6-foot-3, 270-pound defensive end Robert Ayers of Tennessee with the No. 18 pick.

Moreno becomes the first running back taken by Denver in the first round since 1985, when Steve Sewell was picked at No. 26 out of Oklahoma.

Listed at 5-feet-10 1/2 and 217 pounds, the New Jersey native rushed for 1,400 yards in 2008 and 1,334 in 2007.

Although most mock drafts had the Broncos selecting a defensive player with their first pick, "I thought there was a slight chance (I might go to Denver)," Moreno said. "You never know what's going to happen."

Speaking to reporters via phone at the Broncos' Dove Valley headquarters, Moreno said he couldn't be more excited.

"When I got the phone call (from the Broncos), I was so happy," Moreno said. "I can't wait to get there. I'm looking forward to working with (Broncos running backs coach) Bobby Turner. He has coached some great running backs."

Moreno called himself "a hard-nosed runner who can make you miss at times. I'm a competitor."

Signing a contract and attending Broncos mini-camps is a priority, Moreno said.

"That's one of my goals," he said. "I want to be on time. I want to work. I want to be with my teammates."

Ayers was thought all along to be one of three Broncos targets on defense, along with LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson (No. 3, Kansas City) and Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji (No. 9, Green Bay).

The Broncos were looking for a stout, pass-rushing defensive end for their new 3-4 defense. Ayers recorded three sacks and 14 tackles for losses in 2008.

Ayers could play either 5-technique defensive end or pass-rush outside linebacker.

Ayers appeared in nine games as a redshirt freshman in 2005, but was suspended from the team after being charged with aggravated assault. Charges were later reduced to misdemeanor assault.

Ayers became a fulltime starter in 2008, and broke through for 49 tackles, 15.5 tackles for a loss and three sacks.

He was a first-team all-SEC selection by the league's coaches and second-Team by the Associated Press as a senior. Named the Senior Bowl's outstanding defensive player after making three tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Ayers is athletic and versatile. He could stand to add some upper body strength.

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-25-2009 at 03:38 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I love them. Moreno was a BPA who will add A LOT to our offense for years to come. We have the Hammer already in Hillis, Moreno brings a flash much like Brian Westbrook that will be very nice. Not to mention great hands out of the backfield.

Ayers is a great pick, great motor, great passion.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

plus Moreno has a chance to be a standout player and Broncos need some star power right now IMO. Great pickup, great first round, obviously are FO is up to the task of managing a draft.

Feeling better yet people?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

So why did we sign Bucky and JJ again?
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Tatum Bell was the only RB not on IR??
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I love them. Moreno was a BPA who will add A LOT to our offense for years to come. We have the Hammer already in Hillis, Moreno brings a flash much like Brian Westbrook that will be very nice. Not to mention great hands out of the backfield.

Ayers is a great pick, great motor, great passion.
Looks like Mcdaniels feels how much a player seems to love playing football factors into his evaluation process. Morenos coaches say hes the type of player who gets bummed if coach calls practice early. He loves to practice, loves to play, and I'm really excited to pull for him and welcome him to being a Bronco. Players that love the game and love the team. That's what we need to turn this thing around.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I am ok with Moreno....you take a RB if you think he is a franchise back.

Not sold on Ayers....hope I am wrong about him.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

These are solid picks.

If their draft order were reversed, they would look even more solid.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
With what happened to the RB spot last year, you really don't know the answer to that?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Very solid Picks, I would have been okay with Orakpo but I think in the long run we get a better player in Moreno who, under Bobby Turner could easily bring back a TD/Portis electricity to Denver again.

Along with Hillis in the backfield we have a dynamic one/two punch for screens in the flats as well. This offense is gonna rock !!!

Our D is gonna be a lot better in any event with a new scheme better coaches and more maturity from guys like Spencer, Doom, Woodyard, and Marcus Thomas in a more natural 3-4 DE position for him.

Fields will help who ever we draft ( Brace maybe) as a nose and Andra Davis and the entire new starting secondary all make for a considerable upgrade on D as we stand.

To be able to add a guy like Ayers at 18 who has so much upside (Mayock swears he will become THE BEST defensive players in this years draft within three years and he may well be right, is really good stuff! I'm very surprised Ayers was still there at 18.

I remain grateful that once Jackson, Raji, Curry were gone we did not take a 1st round QB and did hold our water and not waste picks trying to trade up for some one like Sanchez .. good QB maybe but God the Jets paid out the nose!

Plus McD made it clear Friday he was gonna likely take an offensive player with one of the two first picks and Moreno is the one he should have taken on offense! I like what they have done so far, Good going Josh.

So far so good .. hope the other 7 picks look respectively as good for their rounds in which they are taken!

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-25-2009 at 03:57 PM..
Old 04-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Buckhalter and JJ aren't everydown backs? Maybe that's why they took Moreno?

Would have loved Orapko at #12, and Moreno wouldn't have been a surprise to me if BO was off the board at that spot, but damn I still can't believe they didn't take BO who they'd visited with on multiple occasions.

I like the Ayers pick, especially if they're keeping him on the DL.

If they can get someone like Brace, Michael Johnson, or Connor Barwin at #48, I think it will have been a successful first day.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Plus, you KNOW TD is thrilled that his GEORGIA Boy is here to carry on his legacy!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
slatimer
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Moreno will be an impact player and take some heat of off Orton. Solid Pick if the D player we wanted wasn't there.
slatimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Buckhalter and JJ aren't everydown backs? Maybe that's why they took Moreno?

Would have loved Orapko at #12, and Moreno wouldn't have been a surprise to me if BO was off the board at that spot, but damn I still can't believe they didn't take BO who they'd visited with on multiple occasions.

I like the Ayers pick, especially if they're keeping him on the DL.

If they can get someone like Brace, Michael Johnson, or Connor Barwin at #48, I think it will have been a successful first day.
I'm guessing the gap they put between Orakpo, Ayers, Cushing, Matthews, etc. wasn't very big, so they knew a DE/OLB type they'd like would be at #18.

If they'd taken Orakpo at #12 and Moreno at #18 I bet a lot of people would be more positive. Hell, they probably could've taken Ayers at #12 and that'd hold true. But the smart gamble was on securing Moreno before anyone could move up after him, knowing you had nearly a half dozen OLB/DE types you'd be ok with taking at #18.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Plus, you KNOW TD is thrilled that his GEORGIA Boy is here to carry on his legacy!
Moreno to wear #30??
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'm guessing the gap they put between Orakpo, Ayers, Cushing, Matthews, etc. wasn't very big, so they knew a DE/OLB type they'd like would be at #18.

If they'd taken Orakpo at #12 and Moreno at #18 I bet a lot of people would be more positive. Hell, they probably could've taken Ayers at #12 and that'd hold true. But the smart gamble was on securing Moreno before anyone could move up after him, knowing you had nearly a half dozen OLB/DE types you'd be ok with taking at #18.
Exactly!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Moreno to wear #30??
That would be kind of sweet.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote