The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
uplink
Ring of Famer

Default Broncos want a 1st rounder for Scheffler

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12223334

Quote:
After the Philadelphia Eagles failed to execute a trade for tight end Tony Gonzalez, they called the Broncos to seek a trade for tight end Tony Scheffler.

But barring the unlikely event the Eagles surrender a first-round pick for Scheffler, the Broncos won't listen.

The Eagles offered only a third-round pick to Kansas City for Gonzalez, the all-time career leader among tight ends in nearly every receiving category. Gonzalez was instead traded to Atlanta for a second-round pick in 2010.

It might be argued Scheffler, at 26, has more trade value than Gonzalez, at 33. Scheffler will make $535,000 this year, while Gonzalez is the league's highest- paid tight end at $7 million. Scheffler led all tight ends with a 16.1-yards-per-catch average last season while Gonzalez averaged 11.0 yards per catch.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

good news is that scheffler apparently is not going to be traded...
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:15 AM   #3
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

If we can get a 1st for him I will do cartwheels off my roof and onto I-25!!!
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

That article has to be B.S. In what world is Scheffler worth a 1st rd pick when Winslow went for a mid/late 2nd. Even with the salary involved Scheffler is worth the same as Winslow at best. I would still rather have Winslow in a heartbeat over Scheffler. Plus Scheffler wants out of Denver and McDaniels system allegedly won't use him. Those additional negatives lead to McDaniels having no leverage in a trade.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I expect Scheff to be traded today.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieopperude View Post
That article has to be B.S. In what world is Scheffler worth a 1st rd pick when Winslow went for a mid/late 2nd. Even with the salary involved Scheffler is worth the same as Winslow at best. I would still rather have Winslow in a heartbeat over Scheffler. Plus Scheffler wants out of Denver and McDaniels system allegedly won't use him. Those additional negatives lead to McDaniels having no leverage in a trade.
we thought the Cutler crap and all the possible negatives would put a dent in us getting 2-1st rounders for Jay, but it didn't. when it comes down to good young talent, teams will pay what they have to, to acquire it.

also in the world where Kellen "I'm a Soldier" Winslow isn't that great and has had 2 or 3 staph infections is a head case, has bad knees, has only played in 40 or so games since he was drafted, is why Scheff is worth more.

and your thoughts about how McDaniels system not calling for a TE like Scheff or that he wants out of Denver are strikes against us getting what we want for him are crazy. the fact that his salary is 535,000 means we can keep him on the bench with no problems until we get what we want for him.

and i know Scheff's injury history will be brought up but he has still only actually missed something like 5 or 6 games to injury.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:30 AM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
I expect Scheff to be traded today.
i agree. i also expect we end draft weeked with either Sanchez or Quinn.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:47 AM   #8
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
we thought the Cutler crap and all the possible negatives would put a dent in us getting 2-1st rounders for Jay, but it didn't. when it comes down to good young talent, teams will pay what they have to, to acquire it.

also in the world where Kellen "I'm a Soldier" Winslow isn't that great and has had 2 or 3 staph infections is a head case, has bad knees, has only played in 40 or so games since he was drafted, is why Scheff is worth more.

and your thoughts about how McDaniels system not calling for a TE like Scheff or that he wants out of Denver are strikes against us getting what we want for him are crazy. the fact that his salary is 535,000 means we can keep him on the bench with no problems until we get what we want for him.

and i know Scheff's injury history will be brought up but he has still only actually missed something like 5 or 6 games to injury.
You make some good points about Winslows injuries and you are right I will bring up the fact that Scheffler is a player who gets nicked easily. Winslow is still the superior player by far and is worth at least what TB gave up to get Winslow. Perhaps we will get a future 1st for him but I really doubt it.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Also I never thought the Cutler crap would hurt his value because his trade had no precedent (I am excluding Jeff George). Personally I think Denver could have gotten more but that is just speculation on my part.

I thought he was worth 2 number 1's a number 2 and a number 3. I don't consider Orton's value to be a number 2. I also don't consider the Bears number 1's to be that valuable since next years will likely be in the mid 20's.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I'd be over the moon with a 2nd, nevermind a first.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:57 AM   #11
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

That makes Simms and our long snapper a real bargain.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:18 AM   #12
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Scheff's trade value is a little higher when you consider he isn't an expensive option. Winslow and Gonzo are each $7m a year players!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:25 AM   #13
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

We aren't getting a 1st for Tony freakin Scheffler.
If some team is dumb enough to, buy all means go ahead and do it because good lord that is a damn steal.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:32 AM   #14
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Some people are missing the point.

The article isn't bull****, neither is the Broncos stance on their asking price.

I hope we're taking a similar stance on the asking prices for other players who may be available because in real terms this draft is pretty weak, thus affecting the value of veterans to rookies.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:38 AM   #15
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Jeremy freaking Shockey was traded for less.

Jesus.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:46 AM   #16
kent156
King of the Ants

the title of the thread says the broncos want a 1st rounder than the article says the broncos won't trade him for a first what is it?
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:56 AM   #17
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent156 View Post
the title of the thread says the broncos want a 1st rounder than the article says the broncos won't trade him for a first what is it?
But barring the unlikely event the Eagles surrender a first-round pick for Scheffler, the Broncos won't listen.

That means they will listen if they're offered a 1st.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:56 AM   #18
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Shockey is an overrated turd and a locker-room cancer.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:06 AM   #19
meangene
Ring of Famer

Looks like the Eagles were willing to part with a third for Gonzo and are interested in Schefler. We asked for a first. Seems like we are negotiating towards a second for him. I do think he has better trade value than Gonzo due to his age and salary and is worth at least as much as Winslow.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:35 AM   #20
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
If we can get a 1st for him I will do cartwheels off my roof and onto I-25!!!
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:39 AM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post

That means they will listen if they're offered a 1st.
Ya think?

Scheffler is one of the very few TE's in the NFL who can stretch a defense like a wide receiver. In fact I think he could play WR if needed. His 16 ypc avg. is nothing to sneeze at. The idea that this system we're going to be using can't find a way to take advantage of his skill set is bizarre. Jeb Putzier was probably brought in here to take his place because I also expect him to be traded.

If they manage to get a 1st rounder for Scheff I'll take back all the nasty things I've said about little hoodie the last month.

It's more likely he gets cut outright than we get a #1 for him. We might get a 4th rounder if we're lucky.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:31 AM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

scheffler is so underrated, its sick. but i do expect he will get traded. probably for a 2nd and 6th/7th.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:37 AM   #23
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Ya think?

Scheffler is one of the very few TE's in the NFL who can stretch a defense like a wide receiver. In fact I think he could play WR if needed. His 16 ypc avg. is nothing to sneeze at. The idea that this system we're going to be using can't find a way to take advantage of his skill set is bizarre. Jeb Putzier was probably brought in here to take his place because I also expect him to be traded.

If they manage to get a 1st rounder for Scheff I'll take back all the nasty things I've said about little hoodie the last month.

It's more likely he gets cut outright than we get a #1 for him. We might get a 4th rounder if we're lucky.
They won't cut him, he has to much talent at low cost. Plus he is a defense coordinators nightmare. Denver comes out in ace set with Marshall, Royal,Graham and Scheff. If the defense comes out in base 4/3 or 3/4 then the team audibles to spread look with Scheff outside Royal in the slot. How defense does cover that? Or if team comes in nickle or dime package then Denver stay tight and runs the ball. Scheff give McKid options similar to what Dallas Clark gives Indy.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Maybe they're asking that absurd price knowing full well nobody will take him off their hands, and he'll remain a Bronco?

And if someone IS crazy enough to give us a first, so be it.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:02 AM   #25
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

A third and a kiss on my pickle would be enough to do the deed if I were coachin'.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote