The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden
Default Broncos serious about Mark Sanchez (Per Denver Post)

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12214434

The Broncos have engaged in discussions regarding a draft trade for USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, according to an NFL source.

In possession of the No. 12 and No. 18 overall picks in the NFL draft, which begins Saturday, the Broncos understand they may have to move up to snag Sanchez, who is drawing interest from several teams. One possible trade partner is the Jacksonville Jaguars, who want to drop down from No. 8 overall.

The problem for the Broncos is teams picking higher than Jacksonville are considering drafting Sanchez with the idea of flipping him in trade. The higher Sanchez is selected, the more lucrative his contract and the less likely the Broncos could afford him.

The Broncos also made preliminary inquiries about Brady Quinn but were told the Cleveland Browns' third-year quarterback was not available for trade.
Apparently, Sanchez made a strong impression Tuesday during a private workout-interview in Los Angeles with Broncos general manager Brian Xanders and offensive coordinator Mike McCoy.

Although the Broncos have several glaring needs on defense, particularly in the front seven of their new 3-4 alignment, there is also sentiment the team should replace Jay Cutler as their franchise quarterback while they have the rare flexibility that comes with having two first-round picks.

Cutler, the Broncos' starting quarterback since the 12th game of the 2006 season and a Pro Bowl selection last season, was granted his request to be traded this month following a falling-out with new coach Josh McDaniels.

In return for sending Cutler to the Chicago Bears, the Broncos received quarterback Kyle Orton and draft picks that include the No. 18 selection and a third-rounder in this year's draft. Even if the Broncos nab Sanchez, Orton could still be their starting quarterback this year.

Orton has one year left on his contract for an affordable $1.095 million, and it's possible the Broncos could retain him for a second season as a restricted free agent. The Broncos also signed another veteran quarterback, Chris Simms, to a two-year contract last month.

It should be noted the Broncos also expressed interest this offseason in acquiring New England quarterback Matt Cassel but ultimately decided against the deal. Cassel wound up getting traded to Kansas City.

Competition for Sanchez could be fierce as the Washington Redskins, New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers figure to be interested. But he is not the Broncos' only draft option.

If it's determined the cost for acquiring him is too steep, the Broncos covet several other draft prospects, most notably defensive tackle B.J. Raji, defensive end Tyson Jackson and outside linebacker Brian Orakpo.

One reason the Broncos may balk at moving up to the No. 8 draft spot is the same reason the Jaguars want to move down: money. When both teams picked at the same positions last year, Jacksonville endured a lengthy holdout from defensive end Derrick Harvey before paying him a $17.1 million guarantee while the Broncos signed left tackle Ryan Clady to an $11.4 million guarantee.

That's a $5.7 million difference between the No. 8 and No. 12 spots enough to challenge the Broncos' budget after they committed $106 million to sign 12 new free-agent players this offseason.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

If we trade up for Sanchez I will freak the **** out.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

If they also inquired about Brady Quinn this looks to me like they werent been very impressed with Simms nor Orton at mini-camp. Let the omane meltdown begin...
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Why is Quinn suddenly off the market is the bigger question. Please don't let this lead to Denver sending the bills a 3rd rounder for Losman.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
If they also inquired about Brady Quinn this looks to me like they werent been very impressed with Simms nor Orton at mini-camp. Let the omane meltdown begin...
Please NOOOOO ....

The 2010 draft is loaded with quarterbacks, and we'll probably have a pretty decent pick.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
This is no surprise to me.

I looked up average QB in the dictionary the other day and those 2 were pictured as part of the definition.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I can't see Denver trading up to 5 money wise. I know they say 8 but, I think we need higher.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Watching Orton and Simms pass in mini-camp probably triggered McDaniels migraine.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Watching Orton and Simms pass in mini-camp probably triggered McDaniels migraine.
That was a good one
Old 04-24-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Sanchez?

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #11
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

I love it. I hope it happens, although we really do have so many other high priorities.
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #12
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
ha ha Junkman

I hope IF we do this we don't offer the farm like 12 18 and 2010 pick.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Yea, I gotta say... spending a high pick on Sanchez would really disappoint me. They're in a great position to build a real football team, here. Pissing away high picks on questionable QBs that we'll have to pay a ton during a season we're clearly not going to the Superbowl seems like a very odd decision.

But, if we're sending out signals that we're interested in him... you have to assume it's because we're not.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #14
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I've had the feeling since Tuesday that this is who they're going after. They were to thorough out there in their workout with him for that to be a smokescreen, especially since he's expected to go above us anyway. I bet Pioli in KC is already laughing his ass off at the prospect of us not only losing Cutler but him getting our picks for the trade.

I fear we're now in the hands of a madman.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Yea, I gotta say... spending a high pick on Sanchez would really disappoint me. They're in a great position to build a real football team, here. Pissing away high picks on questionable QBs that we'll have to pay a ton during a season we're clearly not going to the Superbowl seems like a very odd decision.

But, if we're sending out signals that we're interested in him... you have to assume it's because we're not.
Like last time?
Old 04-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I bet Pioli in KC is already laughing his ass off at the prospect of us not only losing Cutler but him getting our picks for the trade.

I fear we're now in the hands of a madman.
We'll see ... Sanchez will go very high, and we'll need to trade BOTH first rounders to move up high enough to take him. If Josh does that, he is a madman ... and we will lose the trade right then and there ... because that's both the 1st we got ... and Orton will be just keeping the seat warm, while Jay was alreay a solid starter. I suppose Sanchez could become a Hall-of-Famer and then we might win the trade in the long run ... but I'm kinda doubting it.

The fact we're even considering Sanchez that high is another big reason why I wish we had some real experience in drafting/personnel ... like Goodman.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 04-24-2009 at 12:28 AM..
Old 04-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #17
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Not only that, but he seems like a 2 year project. 16 games started total? Yikes.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #18
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

The Broncos having many needs on defense but QB is one as well make no mistake about it. We get a franchise QB again. We could trade back at 18 to a team in the bottom of the first and pick up a late 2nd/early 3rd. We could still end up with a first day like this:

(Trade #12 and #79 to Jaguars for #8)
(Trade #18 to Titans for #30 and #62)

8. Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
30. Larry English, OLB, NIU
48. Ron Brace, NT, Boston College
62. Fili Moala, DE, USC
84. Victor "Macho" Harris, CB, Virginia Tech

Last edited by Carmelo15; 04-24-2009 at 12:28 AM..
Old 04-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #19
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

I don't see how anybody could support this move.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #20
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post

I'm sure "they" will find a way.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #21
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post

Watch and see.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #22
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Sanchez is a near-definite Top 5 guy ....

Another reson I would hate this is that we've already seen Mike over-stock the offense and neglect the defense. We should get TWO DEFENSIVE PLAYMAKERS if at all possible. We had the worst defense in the league, and Josh is an offensive "genius." He should be able to put points up without spending both our 1st rounders on an unproven quarterback with just a handful of starts ....
Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #23
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Please NOOOOO ....

The 2010 draft is loaded with quarterbacks, and we'll probably have a pretty decent pick.
Bingo.

Why waste our draft picks on a questionable QB after getting rid of our Pro Bowler? Go with Kyle Orton, stick it out, build up a defense and in 2010, draft Sam Bradford.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #24
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
The Broncos having many needs on defense but QB is one as well make no mistake about it. We get a franchise QB again. We could trade back at 18 to a team in the bottom of the first and pick up a late 2nd/early 3rd. We could still end up with a first day like this:

(Trade #18 to Titans for #30 and #62)

8. Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
30. Larry English, OLB, NIU
48. Ron Brace, NT, Boston College
62. Fili Moala, DE, USC
84. Victor "Macho" Harris, CB, Virginia Tech
Sanchez is likely heading to the Seahawks at #4, which means we'd need to trade the 18th to get up higher than them in all probability.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #25
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

One item to consider, and I'm not sure if it's patronizing or cheap, but isn't there a very large and fast-growing Hispanic community in Denver?

It certainly couldn't hurt the merchandising, now would it?
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote