The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
TheDave
Sauced...

Default Dorsey to Atlanta?

Probably BS, but it's draft week... what isn't

http://kan.scout.com/2/859321.html

3. The Falcons and Chiefs may not be done dealing. Per a league source, Pioli and fellow Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff (a former Patriots executive), may be looking to help each other out. Based on rumblings we're hearing from WFSM in Atlanta, the Chiefs and Falcons may still be working on a deal that could send defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey to Atlanta for the 24th overall and 90th overall selections.

http://nflnr.com/2009/04/23/rumors-k...gonzalez-deal/

Rumors keep flying in KC; Dorsey included in Gonzalez deal?

For the time being, feel free to put this one down as pure speculation, but Fox Sports Radio has been discussing a bit of news they’ve heard that indicates that the Chiefs have traded DT Glenn Dorsey to the Falcons along with TE Tony Gonzalez. (H/T to Adam Best at Arrowhead Addict)

Obviously that move would necessitate a return of at least the Falcons 1st round pick plus a mid rounder this year, given the fact that Dorsey was a top five pick last season, but overall it would make some sense from the perspective of both teams. The Chiefs would get another first rounder to work with, the second round pick next year, and a mid-round selection to boot. Atlanta gets a future Hall of Fame tight end and a run stuffing DT to fill a major need on their defensive line

Last edited by TheDave; 04-23-2009 at 09:24 PM..
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Alot to give up for a future 2nd round pick.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Why would they do that?
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...

I'm guessing this speculation has to do with Dorsey and his salary not fitting a 3-4
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Borks147
the dude abides...

HEIGHT: 6-2
WEIGHT: 299

Isn't that pretty much prototypical 3-4 DE material?
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

If I invested a first round pick in a DT 2 seasons ago, he stays. Dorsey can be dominating, at the very least he'd make a good 3-4 end. But whatever KC, keep sucking ass.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
If I invested a first round pick in a DT 2 seasons ago, he stays. Dorsey can be dominating, at the very least he'd make a good 3-4 end. But whatever KC, keep sucking ass.

yeah no doubt, it would be a good trade...for the Broncos
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Why??
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
yeah no doubt, it would be a good trade...for the Broncos

Exactly. So naturally I am all for it.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

The Chiefs would be eating a huge cap hit. They are probably making the same mistake the Broncos are: force feeding a defensive front onto the players, regardless of what meshes best. Dorsey isn't a stiff. It takes awhile for DTs to bloom. He's a very good player. If he doesn't fit the 3-4 then the answer is dont run a 3-4.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
The Chiefs would be eating a huge cap hit. They are probably making the same mistake the Broncos are: force feeding a defensive front onto the players, regardless of what meshes best. Dorsey isn't a stiff. It takes awhile for DTs to bloom. He's a very good player. If he doesn't fit the 3-4 then the answer is dont run a 3-4.

I think with the linebackers and ends we already have on the roster, the 3-4 would probably be a better fit. Just my opinion though.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I think with the linebackers and ends we already have on the roster, the 3-4 would probably be a better fit. Just my opinion though.

How so? Our two best LBs are not exactly ideal fits as 3-4 ILBs. None of the candidates for the 3-4 OLB position have played or succeeded in that role elsewhere, ever. We have no proven starting NT in place (please...don't tell me Fields). Thomas may very well be able to play DE, but he's still probably miscast in that role. He's too athletic to be a guy who's job it is is just to be a son of a b**** and constantly take all the **** to hold people off the backers. Peterson would probably not start for 5 teams in the league....and that is in the 4-3, not the 3-4. The only guy that fits is Davis who is on the downside of his career and got beaten out by Leon Williams. I had to endure watching Leon Williams play for 4 years. It was not a pretty picture.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
How so? Our two best LBs are not exactly ideal fits as 3-4 ILBs. None of the candidates for the 3-4 OLB position have played or succeeded in that role elsewhere, ever. We have no proven starting NT in place (please...don't tell me Fields). Thomas may very well be able to play DE, but he's still probably miscast in that role. He's too athletic to be a guy who's job it is is just to be a son of a b**** and constantly take all the **** to hold people off the backers. Peterson would probably not start for 5 teams in the league....and that is in the 4-3, not the 3-4. The only guy that fits is Davis who is on the downside of his career and got beaten out by Leon Williams. I had to endure watching Leon Williams play for 4 years. It was not a pretty picture.

I think Thomas and Powell will be very good 3-4 DEs, meaning we need to find a NT, while not easy, is far easier than finding 2 impact defensive tackles and building depth, and by depth i mean players that should be able to play consistently, not players that should be playing european football in bratislava. I think Doom and Crowder would make good rush OLB's, with DJ possibly sliding back inside next to Larsen. I dont think the defense was so devoid of talent that it cant be rebuilt quickly, and you never know how players respond to completely new schemes and coaching methods. Like I said though, just my opinion.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Yeah, they clearly showed how naturally they all fit the 4-3 last year.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I really hope the Chiefs make that deal.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #16
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

I will give you Moss for Dorsey. I might even throw Crowder in.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #17
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Dorsey doesn't fit the role what Pioli looks for in a 3-4 DE.

A 3-4 DE has to have these qualities

-Good at stopping the run
-Must be over 300 lbs
-Gotta have long arms
-Must be at the very least 6'3" to block passing lanes

Dorsey is..

-An inside pass rusher who isn't known for his ability to stop the run
-Has short arms
-Is barely 6'1"
-Is not 300 lbs

I can see KC trading him to Atlanta for their 1st round (#24) pick and 2nd round (#55) pick. That would still be a steal for Atlanta but I would take it.

KC has no real DE to fit in the 3-4. That's why I believe this is the guy at the top of their board.

KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #18
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I still haven't forgiven the Chiefs for running Dorsey after I picked him in the mock draft.

a-holes.
Florida_Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #19
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Yeah, they clearly showed how naturally they all fit the 4-3 last year.
Agreed.

To many people have there homer hats on and are oblivious to the fact that A. are defense stunk to high heaven B. They want guys drafted in rounds 5 through 7 to start instead of getting guys like Julius Peppers and C. Buy way to much into the talent on the roster.

Are defense is extremely devoid of talent on the DL.
DJ Williams is are only quality LB at this point. He probably isn't even one of the ten best in the league either.
Others may emerge but at this point we have only have 2 Pro Bowl level players on defense. Champ and if he plays well Dawkins.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:26 AM   #20
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I don't want to see KC with another 1st round pick because of the talk that they like Tyson Jackson
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #21
uplink
Ring of Famer

I always though Dorsey was a can't miss player but teams do not often trade good young players.

If this is a real rumor it might be indicating Dorsey is an average to a bust player after all.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #22
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
If he doesn't fit the 3-4 then the answer is dont run a 3-4.
SoCal my friend, if we have learned nothing from Hoodie Jr. it is DAMN the players, it is ALL about the system.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #23
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
SoCal my friend, if we have learned nothing from Hoodie Jr. it is DAMN the players, it is ALL about the system.
Well when you don't actually have any players worth anything at all, the system is really all you have to go on.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #24
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Hey, Bob, the Falcons drafted a really nice player in Peria Jerry for the Chiefs.

Has Nick Athan said when they are going to formally anounce that Peria Jerry and the Falcons 3rd is going to be actually traded to Kansas City for Dorsey?

I mean.....its probably a good idea for them to announce the trade before Jerry has to report to Atlanta's facility on Sunday....lest the bird fans think they actually drafted him.